Code of Conduct

Thread: Halston 1-12

Post Thanks / Like

Default Halston 1-12

I just picked up a 125 ml bottle of this blind at Marshall's yesterday for $9.99. The fact that it's been discontinued was part of the reason I bought it. To my surprise, I find this to be a really nice, iris-dominated fragrance, although I don't think I've ever seen it described as such. Is my nose playing tricks on me or did Halston really create an iris fragrance for men in 1976?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Halston 1-12

It's sure that old, but I haven't registered it in my mind as an iris scent. I'm going to have to wear it looking for that.

That aside, it's a fantastic scent. I wore it a lot last summer. Great choice.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like

You made a good buy. Like DustB, I've never thought of 1-12 as an iris-dominated scent. To me, it is very green, with galbanum (a very powerful dusky dark-green note) setting the stage in early going.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'm thinking that it triggers associations with Iris Bleu Gris with me, which was unexpected. Maybe those two fragrances share some major note that is not iris, but that's where I'm coming from on this.

This was my favorite 1977-79. Loved it then. I can still wear it now and then, but the strong association it has for me with a certain time and place makes it a lower priority for daily wear. Do love it, though. Enjoy. You have a good buy there.

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I could not believe my eyes when i came across a bottle at a Naperville, Il. Marshals last year while on vacation. I hadn't found any since the mid-80s. The darkness of the galbanum is the appeal it has for me. Beautiful frag. Good buy there.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

It's discontinued?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    It's discontinued?
    Yep.

Post Thanks / Like

I spritzed some of this on about 20 minutes ago so I could comment on the iris note you detected. Unfortunately, I can personally detect no Iris note. What I do get is a strong galbanum note initially, which is somewhat tempered by lavender. I also find this to be a very floral fragrance (maybe carnation?), and it remains green and floral throughout its life. I wear this ocassionally in the spring and summer months. I am quite fond of both green and floral fragrances, and I really like 1-12. The projection appears to be moderate, and the longevity on me is outstanding. It's still tactfully evident 12 hours later. While I respect and enjoy it's sibling, Z-14, I find 1-12 to be a bit more wearable in a wider variety of settings.
    Last edited by SillageMonger; 3rd March 2010 at 11:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think there is probably a violet element in 1-12. That might be the floral we're picking up.

Strong lavender and galbanum? I'm glad I didn't blind buy a bottle of this !

Post Thanks / Like

I actually bought a bottle too, and JUST TODAY noticed mine is an eau de cologne....i believe.... pretty weaksauce if you ask me... Still potent though!
    "You smell fantastic, what is that?"
    "It's diesel"
    "*nods* Wow, it's incredible"
    "No, you don't understand....it's diesel fuel"
    "Oh, okay, i'll buy that one then"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 959lover View Post
    I actually bought a bottle too, and JUST TODAY noticed mine is an eau de cologne....i believe.... pretty weaksauce if you ask me... Still potent though!
    Thanks, 959Lover, I'm glad you raise this issue, and I'm glad you find it is potent.

However, I'm filled with curiosity: Is it marked on the bottle or the box "eau de cologne"? I've got a box which labels it "Natural Spray Cologne", but I think it's just using the term "cologne" as a marketing label to sell to men. No where on my bottle or box does it say "eau de cologne." Perhaps it's just my optimism, but I suspect that what's sold in the bottles marked "Natural Spray Cologne" is edt. It certainly lives on me with edt strength, depth, duration, and projection.

Post Thanks / Like

I hated I-12 when I first tried it a few months ago, but this thread has inspired me to try this out again. I was surprised at how sour it smelled on my skin, because I love "green" scents, and it seems unanimous that I-12 is a quintessential green scent.

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, does anyone know if Elizabeth Arden picked up the license on this? BN lists this as discontinued, but I see it everywhere in TJs/Marshalls for dirt cheap, and I know EA has the Z-14 license.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I hated I-12 when I first tried it a few months ago, but this thread has inspired me to try this out again. I was surprised at how sour it smelled on my skin, because I love "green" scents, and it seems unanimous that I-12 is a quintessential green scent.
    Give it a third try.....!......Maybe the third time will be a charm! Also consider that you may have used a bad bottle. By the way, I didn't realize that EA owns the Z-14 license. I've also seen 1-12 in 4.2 ounce bottles for $9.99. 1-12 seems fairly popular, so it wouldn't surprise me if they're keeping it alive as well.
    Last edited by SillageMonger; 7th March 2010 at 10:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I went to Marshalls today, and saw that EA does in fact own the license to I-12. This leads me to also believe that I-12 has been reissued, not discontinued.

Also, with all of the rave reviews about this one, I couldn't resist the $9.99 price tag, and I snagged a bottle, so I can revisit it.

Post Thanks / Like

1-12 smells a lot like Grey Flannel to me, and I prefer it to GF during the drydown, where 1-12 starts to echo the Z-14 drydown, and not the bitter-powder note that GF has on me.

If you like the IDEA of Grey Flannel, but find it's a bit 'too much' for you, give 1-12 a try. You might be surprised. Very green, and somewhat unique to my nose. Not sure about how others would react.

I've had a chance to sample it since my last post to this thread, and I have also acquired the original Perry Ellis. The PE is like a chypre version of 1-12. I prefer the PE, but it's a once a month frag at most. Not a bad office scent in cooler weather.