Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Gucci Pour Homme 2 vs. Burberry London

I started out disliking both upon initial application. They both grew on me over time. One is my absolute favorite. The other I just purchased this month, but is getting a lot of wears so far. I've always thought there was some similarity between the two. The Burberry always reminded me of pumpkin spice...the gucci has a warm cinnamon thing going on, but somehow, they're similar to me. At one point I felt if I had one, I didn't need the other. But eventually it grew on me and persuaded me to buy it. (I'm being discrete because I don't want to sway anyone to either fragrance).

Anyways, I would like to know which one you prefer. Thanx in advance.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Gucci Pour Homme 2 vs. Burberry London

I bought Gucci PH II because I got a great deal on a full set of a great scent, but if I could have gotten the same deal on London, I would have gone with that, I think. London is just more modern to me, and I tend to prefer a more modern feel.

Ok, one for London...

GPH II for mine.

I get zilch out of London - nada! It starts of nice, boozy, and promising; then it vanishes in minutes.
    Last edited by jathanas; 25th August 2009 at 05:32 AM.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Gucci pour homme II has better longevity on my skin than that of London. However, London just plain smells better, imo.

My preference is London.

I own both, and I think they each have their charms, but I think Gucci II is the better between the two. I bought them both blind and immediately liked the Gucci II, but didn't care so much for the London (reminded me of a hamster cage). Only recently have I started to reevaluate London, my nose has changed quite a bit within the last year. I like London now, it's much fresher than I remember it, but still prefer the Gucci in a side by side comparison.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Djamison66 View Post
    ... but didn't care so much for the London (reminded me of a hamster cage).
    LOL!

OMG - I know the note you're talking about (both of them)! I think I'm ruined for life on London!

London is straight tobacco and old lady candle shop to me, the definition of unsexy.

Burberry London most definitely.

Gucci Pour Homme II for me. Has better sillage and is longer lasting than London.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Burberry London. Longevity relatively poor though.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I have yet to try Gucci pH II so I can't comment on it. But I've had Burberry London before. Love the opening and the drydown has a modern masculine feel to it. Sillage is average and longevity is definitely poor. The bottle rocks though, lol.

I quite like both, but I prefer Gucci PH II in the warmer months, and London in the cooler ones. Neither is particularly long lived, but delightful when in full bloom

Sur la Plage

Burberry London.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 8th September 2009 at 10:29 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

i like them for different reasons, equally . . .

GPH2: i like that even though its a spicy, woody concoction it still has a light sheerness to it that quietly announces itself (or if i hated this stuff i could say 'this stuff doesn't last for sh!t'). the dry cinnamon spice radiating from it is my favorite part and the basenotes round it out very well so its understandable. it smells almost like what i think a guy should naturally smell like. it smells like a more masculine version of Burberry for Women (the older one in maroon box). try Lalique Equus sometime. it has the same feel, just slightly more 'natural' smelling, ve synthetic.

Burberry London: this on lasts forever on me and is much more boastful. its def sweeter and 2 spritz is enough or people can smell me from 50 yards away. richness, christmas-like spice, warm tobacco - i would say its almost christmas spicy with a sweet patchouli back bone.

Second on the Lalique Equus vs. GPH II similarity. They're both quiet sweetened tea-like spicy scents.

If you are disappointed by the lack of sillage & longevity (which I am sometimes) you can try L'Artisan's Tea for Two. You could see that one as a GPH II Extreme / Concentree version.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Dependent

Gucci PHII by a mile for me.

Basenotes Plus

Gucci PH II by a mile for me also.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 25th August 2009 at 11:51 AM.

I vote London (I don't dislike GPH II, but it pales in comparison to both London and the first GPH).

Another vote for LONDON

Quote Originally Posted by Big Punisher View Post
    London is straight tobacco and old lady candle shop to me, the definition of unsexy.
    LOL. I love that old lady candle shop smell.

Ok...so far, we've got a few that like them equally, but among those that chose, London edged out the Gucci by 2 votes. I prefer the Gucci, so I vote Gucci. That still keeps London in the lead by one vote.

And I thought I was the only one that noticed London's horribly poor longevity. It's funny, cuz last night I sprayed in on the inside of my wrist, and Joop on the outside, and maybe two hours later, I couldn't smell the London, but I can still smell traces of the Joop on my hand. I wonder if it can be detected by others though. The Gucci on the other hand...I smell traces of it all day. In fact, on one occassion I got a compliment on it after atleast 10 hours of wearing it. Couldn't believe it. To me it's nicer, a little warmer, and lasts way longer. You can't go wrong with Gucci Pour Homme 2.
    Last edited by Larwiz; 25th August 2009 at 01:32 PM. Reason: recount

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    Second on the Lalique Equus vs. GPH II similarity. They're both quiet sweetened tea-like spicy scents.

If you are disappointed by the lack of sillage & longevity (which I am sometimes) you can try L'Artisan's Tea for Two. You could see that one as a GPH II Extreme / Concentree version.
    You know...at first I didn't get the Tea for Two comparisons, mostly because the Tea for Two starts out a bit strong and somewhat pungent, but when it dries down, it is somewhat similar to GPH2. I think the Gucci is better though.

I haven't tried London.. but for me it's gonna have to be pretty damn good to beat Gucci Pour Homme II

London easily...

GPH II FTW!
    I absolutely love the scent, and it lasts a hell of a long time on my skin. Great for the summer, yet suitable for colder weather IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by stevo30 View Post
    GPH II FTW!
    I absolutely love the scent, and it lasts a hell of a long time on my skin. Great for the summer, yet suitable for colder weather IMO.
    Isn't just great how you can wear it ALL FREAKIN YEAR ROUND FOR ABSOLUTELY ANY OCCASSION!!! Gph2 is awesome. London is nice too, but it lasts for 3 hours tops, and that's being generous. I was seriously wondering if I got a defective bottle. It doesn't last half as long as it's big brother, Burrberrys for men.

GPH II For me.
    London just doesn't make me think,,,yeah, this is GOOD.
    BTW,,,GPH I,,,,,,,SUX !!!
    ISO-WTB
    Sample or Partial
    Teo Cabanel-Alahine
    Bois D'Armenie
    Mark Buxton-Wood & Absinthe

My sales thread:

--Bruce Lee
    Jeet Kune Do -"Way of the intercepting fist"

My store- www.AtoZknives.com
    (Knives, sporting & Tactical products GALORE !!)
    Low price LEADER- FAST ship too!

Quote Originally Posted by mi-hooked? View Post
    GPH II For me.
    London just doesn't make me think,,,yeah, this is GOOD.
    BTW,,,GPH I,,,,,,,SUX !!!
    Lol. I still don't fully get the hype around GPH1. I've got a tiny bottle of it, and it really doesn't impress me. It's just ok. Envy and GPH2 is where it's at.

London is my kind of scent. But the longevity is unfortunately very poor.

Burberry London by a mile. Fantastic fragrance.

Absolutely GPH2!! I have both, and much prefer Gucci. Smell-wise, GPh2 is so VERSATILE and RELAXING - London is only good for cold nights in a cabin with hot cocoa and blankets near a fire place.

GPH2 smells amazing

I love Burberry London with the leather and tobacco notes and the boozy port wine smell. It is a very evocative scent that always reminds me of the fall and Christmas.

I own both, but GPHII is a recent buy. London is great for cooler weather, but not so good in the heat. GPHII is to me a much lighter, less masculine scent, but I like it so far. Of the two, if I could only have one, it would be London. Longevity on me is very good with both (I must have good skin for scent, because I do not have very many scents that longevity is poor on me)

All that being said, I will make GPHII my SOTD today and give it another wear.

BINGO

GPHII any day of the week. I bought it for cheap and so far have been very content with my purchase. Smells very unique and lasts a good while in warmer weather.

Also, a funny thing to add. GPH2 is the only fragrance I will wear on test days. Over the summer I took a tough class where my average grade on the first 3 tests was a 60% and that was with studying and attending class, taking notes, etc. Was getting crushed and so was the rest of the class.

Decided to wear for the GPH2 for the last 2 tests and aced both of them and finished with the highest grade in the class. Woot!

It's not proven by the masses, but I think GPH2 induces success
    Last edited by BINGO; 28th August 2009 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CYoung234 View Post
    I own both, but GPHII is a recent buy. London is great for cooler weather, but not so good in the heat. GPHII is to me a much lighter, less masculine scent, but I like it so far. Of the two, if I could only have one, it would be London. Longevity on me is very good with both (I must have good skin for scent, because I do not have very many scents that longevity is poor on me)

All that being said, I will make GPHII my SOTD today and give it another wear.
    I'm still not sure why people find London to be such a fall/winter fragrance, because I felt just fine in it in the dead of summer. But you know what confuses me, and I was thinkin about starting a thread about it...London doesn't seem to last more than 2 hours on my skin, but I sprayed it on a sticky note on Tuesday and put it in my desk drawer at work, and you know what? I smelled it the entire day every time I opened the drawer. In fact, I smelled it yesterday as well, and even today when I opened the drawer, I could still smell it. So that's 4 days of London goodness! 4 days on paper, but I can't even get 4 hours on my skin. Ain't that something? I mean does that dry ass piece of paper have more moisture than my skin? lol I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by BINGO View Post
    GPHII any day of the week. I bought it for cheap and so far have been very content with my purchase. Smells very unique and lasts a good while in warmer weather.

Also, a funny thing to add. GPH2 is the only fragrance I will wear on test days. Over the summer I took a tough class where my average grade on the first 3 tests was a 60% and that was with studying and attending class, taking notes, etc. Was getting crushed and so was the rest of the class.

Decided to wear for the GPH2 for the last 2 tests and aced both of them and finished with the highest grade in the class. Woot!

It's not proven by the masses, but I think GPH2 induces success
    Well I'll tell you what...I feel hella successful in it, no matter what occassion. But especially if I'm dressed up, oh...it's perfect. I just feel fresh and together, ya know. But anywho...I'll be in school this fall, and whether my classes are online or in person-I'll make sure to wear my gucci on test days. lol

At first my vote went to Burberry London but Gucci pour Homme II is really growing on me. I recommend spraying both of these on clothes. Both of them are really different from one another and I don't see that they're close.
    Last edited by Ronin; 6th September 2009 at 10:45 AM.

My vote goes to GpH II !

I own and like them both, but Burberry London is definitely my favourite.

I guess both fragrances are about equally good. This thread is pretty much a tie. London definetely doesn't last as long as gph2 though.

Gucci Pour Homme 2 for me.
    Gary

My vote goes to London. Easily.

London...GPH2...London...GPH2...
    The second one gets a vote, here comes a fan of the other with an opposing vote.
    That's got me thinking though...I wonder how a layering of these two together would turn out. Maybe I'll try that tommorow...

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    I'm still not sure why people find London to be such a fall/winter fragrance, because I felt just fine in it in the dead of summer. But you know what confuses me, and I was thinkin about starting a thread about it...London doesn't seem to last more than 2 hours on my skin, but I sprayed it on a sticky note on Tuesday and put it in my desk drawer at work, and you know what? I smelled it the entire day every time I opened the drawer. In fact, I smelled it yesterday as well, and even today when I opened the drawer, I could still smell it. So that's 4 days of London goodness! 4 days on paper, but I can't even get 4 hours on my skin. Ain't that something? I mean does that dry ass piece of paper have more moisture than my skin? lol I think not.
    You know, you do have a point. I personally try to stay away from stronger scents in hot weather, not that this summer in Chicago has been warm by any means. I guess I have enough choices in my wardrobe that I can use lighter stuff in the summer and save the bigger scents for cooler weather. BTW, on me, London easily lasts all day long with 4 sprays, 2 to the chest and one to each wrist, with each wrist rubbed behind my neck.

If I was gonna be outside all day, I may not have worn London, or atleast not with normal application (spray to chest, both wrists shared with inner elbows, and both sides of the neck). But I was at work, with air conditioning, so really-I don't much hesitate to wear any of my fragrances in the summer at work. I wore Angel one day, and was moving around a bit, and definetely felt it was too sweet and strong to be worn if the temperature rises. I was hoping it wasn't too detectable by others.

Per Larwiz's comments on London's longevity on paper...

If you're willing to spray on clothing, Burberry London lasts forever. I wore 2 sprays to the T-shirt to a party last night (after having sprayed myself the morning of) and it was just strong enough, and hadn't faded too much from its original intensity. The juice is a bit tan, and will leave a hint of a spot, but not an actual stain (i.e. comes out in the laundry). I love this stuff! I just sniffed the shirt, and it's still there about 32 hrs after spraying.

I only just got a vial of GPHII so I'm not "voting" for London over GPHII. Gotta try it one day this week...

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Both of them are really different from one another and I don't see that they're close.
    Agreed! I finally tried Burberry London today and I like it.. but I can't compare it to Gucci Pour Homme II cause to me they're not similar

Quote Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
    Per Larwiz's comments on London's longevity on paper...

If you're willing to spray on clothing, Burberry London lasts forever. I wore 2 sprays to the T-shirt to a party last night (after having sprayed myself the morning of) and it was just strong enough, and hadn't faded too much from its original intensity. The juice is a bit tan, and will leave a hint of a spot, but not an actual stain (i.e. comes out in the laundry). I love this stuff! I just sniffed the shirt, and it's still there about 32 hrs after spraying.

I only just got a vial of GPHII so I'm not "voting" for London over GPHII. Gotta try it one day this week...
    I haven't sprayed on clothing in years and refuse to do so. They say when you know better, do better. btw-it's gonna be rainy and cool tommorow, and I'm wearing dark colors. I am 90% sure I'll be wearing London tommorow. We'll see how that goes.

Basenotes Institution

Spray in the air, and walk through the spray - should not hurt your clothes. The scent will last longer.

I prefer London.

wow this thread was helpful. I am currently thinking about purchasing GUCCI PH II soon but I'd like to make sure its a good buy. I keep getting mixed message about the longevity/sillage of Gucci PH II. I wanna buy something that will smell good to me but smells good throughout the day for other people to smell. ; )
    Just to add to this thread I have SAMPLED both london nd Gucci ph 2. London is wayyyy to woody for me- like straight up pine forest with a dash of pepper. gucci ph 2 has a lighter, tea fragrance that is calming to the wearer.

GPHIi for sure.

You should try layering them and report back.

Burberry London

Morning Star

I prefer Burberry London over Gucci Pour Homme II. Burberry London just seems edgier and spicier. I've never noticed a problem with longevity, but then I tend to just spray more often when that's the case anyway. I also prefer the original Gucci Pour Homme over the second version, particularly in drydown.

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    I haven't sprayed on clothing in years and refuse to do so. They say when you know better, do better.
    Huh? There is nothing wrong with spraying on clothes, that is often what was done back in the day (especially on handkerchiefs).

Initially my reaction was that I don't find these fragrances similar but upon smelling them the top notes do seem similar to my nose. I believe they drydown differently though, yes? I think Gucci smells pretty much the same throughout whereas London loses a lot of that sharp fruity top note in the drydown and leaves the base, which I enjoy. It's true that London stays close to the skin after a couple hours. I'd go with whatever you enjoy more with enough longevity to suit your needs. I like them both.
    Last edited by hammersj; 22nd October 2009 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    I prefer Burberry London over Gucci Pour Homme II. Burberry London just seems edgier and spicier. I've never noticed a problem with longevity, but then I tend to just spray more often when that's the case anyway. I also prefer the original Gucci Pour Homme over the second version, particularly in drydown.
    You and I are rare people who have no problem with Burberry London longveity...lasts at least 8 hours on me...

Gucci PH II

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Huh? There is nothing wrong with spraying on clothes, that is often what was done back in the day (especially on handkerchiefs).
    I think it's just silly to spray your clothes when there is a risk or staining the fabric, having the smell stuck on the article of clothing (what happens if you want to wear the same shirt the next day with a different fragrance?), having waaaay too much sillage, and not letting the fragrance mix with your body chemistry. Put that sucka on your skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    You and I are rare people who have no problem with Burberry London longveity...lasts at least 8 hours on me...
    Lasts all day on me too. London is the easy winner for me here. It is Fall and Winter to me. Boozy, spicy, peppery..all the things I love in one. Plus it was my scent of choice in 2006 on my honeymoon in Italy so it has strong memories of beautiful places and times. To me London is one the most quality scents out there designer or niche.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 23rd October 2009 at 05:51 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Question Re: Gucci Pour Homme 2 vs. Burberry London

I think you have the wrong Gucci. The Gucci pour homme 2 to me is a blue marine scent. Are you talking about Gucci pour homme 1? I'd compare that w/ London.IMHO. I could be wrong.