Code of Conduct

Default Is there a disadvantage to applying with a finger instead of a vaporizer?

Hello all.

I have a bottle of Prada Amber Pour Homme Deluxe Edition and the vaporizer is all but worthless.

I'd like to remove the vaporizer and just cap the bottle, then apply by putting some on my finger and rubbing it on my neck and wrists. Is there any reason not to do this? Does vaporizing change the scent any by 'spreading it out'?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Default Re: Is there a disadvantage to applying with a finger instead of a vaporizer?

I personally would rather spray it than rubbing it on the neck. Spraying covers a wider area and lets the scent project better. I don't recommend rubbing because I've heard it actually kills the scent when you rub the chemicals. But I don't believe it would change the scent very much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is there a disadvantage to applying with a finger instead of a vaporizer?

Good question. IF...I say IF you can get the stupid thing off, then of course use it like a sample with your fingers. Most spray tops won't come off. A spray uses alot more fragrance than manual application too. But yes it does spread it out really good and gets better sillage. I started out my odyssey with samples, small samples, so I had to use my finger on the end of the little vial. No choice. So I got used to that method. When I finally did buy some scents (as a result of that sampling) that had spray apparatus I was really taken aback! So much stronger! But also so much faster to go...
    "Classics aren't classics because they seem old but because they seem always new". Tania Sanchez

Well, fortunately, the deluxe edition is refillable, so I can remove the vaporizer by just unscrewing it. I'll try applying by finger tomorrow, maybe I need to step it up a little or do two applications. I won't really rub it in, per se, I was just wondering if the vaporization did anything to the scent, but I guess not.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You could just buy an atomizer and decant it into that. I buy from Accessories for Fragrances.com but there are other sellers, including Best Bottles, Atomizer King (for fancy ones) etc.

Accessories for fragrances sends you a pipette and a funnel with your order.

Rubbing can make the top notes fade faster (rubbing generates heat which accelerates evaporation.) Dab instead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well like I said, I believe vaporization projects the scent more.
    "Classics aren't classics because they seem old but because they seem always new". Tania Sanchez

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I prefer spraying to dabbing, though. I feel like the scent develops better.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

In general I prefer spraying for the same reasons 30 Roses said.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When I apply with a finger....I don't like rinsing the scent off my fingers because it feels like I'm wasting that little bit. So I rub it in my hair (usually still wet from the shower).

Post Thanks / Like

One thing about using those little dauber-sticks that come with somples like those from The Perfumed Court : Since you put less on, it lets you *really* differentiate between frags that project and last a long time and those that don't.

So in that sense, it does help you with the initial assessment process.

Also, there seems to be a certain trick to the sprays ( at least those that come with samples ) that I have not yet mastered.

If you go for the wrist, and you are back too far, you miss with a lot of it. If you are up close, you get sort of a puddle. You could hold your inner wrist in front of your body, but that's a little awkward too.

Something I'm going to have to work on, I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Viciousaroma View Post
    I personally would rather spray it than rubbing it on the neck. Spraying covers a wider area and lets the scent project better.
    I feel the same way.

the bad thing with applying with your finger is that whoever shakes your hand throughout the day will get your smell on them...or whatever else you touch.... personally, i get ticked when i shake an associates hand and now i cant get the smell of drakaar off my hand.

Post Thanks / Like

No real disadvantage to applying with your finger aside from the fact that you now have a perfumed finger imo. With vials that come with a little stick I apply straight from the vial to my wrist instead of using the dauber. (Careful not to fumble and drop it though....) Unless you are rubbing pretty vigorously I wouldn't worry about burning off top notes or decreasing longevity. It might take a little more dabbing than you think to get as much out as would spray out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kasae View Post
    No real disadvantage to applying with your finger aside from the fact that you now have a perfumed finger imo. With vials that come with a little stick I apply straight from the vial to my wrist instead of using the dauber. (Careful not to fumble and drop it though....) Unless you are rubbing pretty vigorously I wouldn't worry about burning off top notes or decreasing longevity. It might take a little more dabbing than you think to get as much out as would spray out.
    Nice reply. Sometimes I think there is a bit more voodoo and folklore involved in the concept of application than can be supported by fact. While sprays certainly lay a thinner layer on large surfaces, at other times ( the wrists ) they seem to have the potential to be just as drippy, if not more so, as the splash, daub or finger methods. As far as "bruising" the fragrance, it would seem to be potential heat from friction that's the villain, rather than whatever small "squashing" pressure might result from gentle spreading.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

I like dabbing it on because I can put less fragrance in more areas.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    You could just buy an atomizer and decant it into that. I buy from Accessories for Fragrances.com but there are other sellers, including Best Bottles, Atomizer King (for fancy ones) etc.

Accessories for fragrances sends you a pipette and a funnel with your order.

Rubbing can make the top notes fade faster (rubbing generates heat which accelerates evaporation.) Dab instead.
    +1, don't rub, just buy another atomizer, transfer once and use that. I've started having to do this for Pure Malt as I can't get a consistent spray out of that atomizer and aiming it is an entirely different issue