Code of Conduct

Cool cologne for teenage boy

I have been asked to buy a gift of cologne for a mid-teen boy. Any suggestions? I know teens tend to follow the crowd, but he seems to be an individualist, so I'm not sure what to buy. I welcome your ideas.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

I always suggest Dune pour Homme by Dior to these kind of questions, so ...

Default Re: cologne for teenage boy

Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male perhaps ?

Creed Original Vetiver.

M7 Fresh?
    Top 10:
    1. Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta
    2. YSL M7
    3. Tom Ford Bois Marocain
    4. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    5. Dior Homme/Intense
    6. YSL Opium
    7. Azzaro Pour Homme
    8. Frederic Malle's Musc Ravageur
    9. YSL Live Jazz
    10. Burberry London

Burberry London, Body Kouros, Oxford & Cambridge.

If you can afford it, Creed MI or SMW.

DeepSilence

1+ Burberry London
    Ferrari Black

Sorry but $200 bottle of creed on a 14 or 15 year old kid seems a bit silly to me ....

I would go for something safe and versatile for it will probably the only cologne he'll have.
    If you think he likes fresh ones you can't go wrong with Acqua di Gio, only here on Basenotes there's a tendency to bash on the popular ones. Something slightly less common would be Chanel Allure Homme Sport or Versace Pour Homme and L'eau d'Issey.
    Another very versatile one and aromatic: Davidoff Cool Water.
    I think you can also try Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren.
    If the purpose is going out and dating: Armani Code, Le Male, Rochas Man and Body Kouros.
    Last but not least: if he wants to stand out from the crowd: Dior Homme, Terre D'Herms (but these aren't safe choices).
    Acqua di Gi is my guilty pleasure. What's yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Sorry but $200 bottle of creed on a 14 or 15 year old kid seems a bit silly to me ....
    Not to Bill Gates, hence the "if you can afford it".

+1 burberry london

Mugler Cologne. Absolutely perfect, has soap + showergel too. I desagree with burberry london, that one I like to smell on someone at least 25-30 years old. Not for a 15 year old, IMO.

Sur la Plage

+1 Mugler Cologne
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

The sweet scents are popular with both teenage boys and girls, so many good choices out there. Rochas Man should be great at that age. Fruity scents like Escada Sunset Heat and Paris Hilton for Men are fine choices as well.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    Dune pour Homme by Dior.
    + 1

The Million golden brick thing Paco Rabanne? It is sort of juvenile. In a nice way. Sort of.
    Joop! Homme seems to be quite popular among teenagers as well, and it's slightly less mainstream, just slightly, plus it's decently priced.
    How about the new Gucci Homme Sport?
    l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

i second the mugler cologne (futuristic eau de cologne), and dior homme (iris). body kouros or guerlain homme would be a good choice. (both yohji homme and lolita lempicka are similar only better, but the first is discontinued and expensive on ebay, the second would be kind of hard for a boy with that name and bottle, being marketed to females.. but it is a *great* scent for boys, very clever). these are all modern, but special.
    i suggest getting some smelling strips, put them in ziplock bags (they will stay fresh over an extended period of time), and let the boy decide.
    one that is popular with the younger crowd and excellent, is beyond paradise man from estee lauder (woody). another is kenzo homme (aquatic). these are the kind of scent young men ofter wear, those two being the best of the bunch. aqua di gio is not bad either. davidoff cool water is great, but it's been extremely popular for over 2 decades and on it's way out with the young ones i think.
    these latter ones are generally safer options for insecure teens, the ones i mentioned earlier are possibly better suited for someone who follows his own mind instead of the crowd.
    btw. all of these are scents that girls will like, too.

DeepSilence

If he wants to be an individualist, buy something strong !! believe me, he will like that.

DeepSilence

Dune pour Homme by Dior.
    2+

Tommy

Body Kouros, a better version of Le Male.

+1 Body Kouros
    +1 Mugler Cologne
    And I'd add Bulgari Black. I think they're unique enough to match what you want and totally affordable as well.

Ralph Lauren Big Pony Collection

How about Unbound for Men by Halston? More individual than ADG but still fresh enough to be inoffensive to almost anyone (remembering back to how I applied cologne at that age).
    Discount and drug store fragrance trollop. http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=74

WHy don't you give him something like a gift set sampler like these

http://sephora.com/browse/product.jh...tegoryId=C7381
    http://sephora.com/browse/product.jh...dPaginate=true

It would make sense if you don't know what he likes, the first link is a 40$ value, the second one is the same but also has a gift voucher he can take back to get a full bottle that he likes.

I think he won't really know what he really likes unless he already has started his own collection, so why not introduce him to the world of fragrance?

If you want to pick one sent and for his age group I'd say something sweet that he will get complimented on by girls his age. He'd appreciate that. Only two that are sweet in my collection are 1 Million and Euphoria Intense.
    "Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."

Quote Originally Posted by Scentational View Post
    +1 Body Kouros
    +1 Mugler Cologne
    And I'd add Bulgari Black. I think they're unique enough to match what you want and totally affordable as well.
    bulgari black is another great option. it's unisex, so depending on the store you might find this one at the ladies counter. it is powdery rubber with vanilla/amber.
    a*men contains similar notes, but is quite different from black. it has gourmand notes as well, and it's very strong.
    both are very different from the average boy's sports cologne, which is definitely a good thing. please don't get anything with 'sport' written on it, almost all of these excuses for perfume are badly constructed and terribly cheaply made. and be aware of flankers too, read the label carefully, if anything is added to the name you expect, it is not the same thing! (there are a few flankers that are actually very good, body kouros being one of them)

my favorite of the option so far is dior homme. it's distinctive, modern, great quality, an all-round every day wearable. it has a perfect sillage and goes on forever.
    Last edited by gido; 17th September 2010 at 04:26 PM.

L'eau D'Issey pour homme

Allure Sport
    Joop Jump
    Kenneth Cole T-Shirt

I wore Givenchy Pi in high school as my signature...

Polo For Men - Ralph Lauren
    New West For Men - Aramis
    Preferred Stock - Coty
    Chrome - Azzaro

All of the above are affordable and likely safe bets.

Abercrombie Fierce

Joop! Nightflight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN10NjPOnhg
    Last edited by adonis; 17th September 2010 at 07:39 PM.

Another idea....if you have a Body Shop in your area, they have some very safe, pleasant and affordable EDTs for men. Sadly, my favorite, Javari, has been discontinued.
    Discount and drug store fragrance trollop. http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=74

being a 15 year old myself i like to stand out of the crowd when wearing a cologne so i would recommend la nuit de l`omme by yves st laurent

or allure homme edition blanche by chanel

or joop! jump

leau d`issy by isaye miyake ( i think thats how you spell it)

or armani attitude extreme try out all thses and then narrow it down

acqua di gio or jean paul gaultiers le male

if its very hot where u live, id go with aqua di gio

if not, Le Male.

Overall, id go with Le Male. you will never stop getting complimented and noticed. especially at a youger age where girls have prolly not smelled it. if they smell le male for the first time on u, your golden

Thanks so much for the collection idea. I didn't even know there were such sets. I'm going to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Thats just child cruelty....

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    Thats just child cruelty....
    LOL- thats priceless, love the comment, sadly its true. Back to the question, how about Hanae Mori or if he really wants to stand Blue Sugar. They are both moderately priced. The HM is a classic scent. Just a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Do not listen to him, he's screwing with you clearly...I hope.

Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male perhaps ?
    You suggesting Le Male seems silly to me, especially when the original poster implied they wanted to purchase a less overplayed fragrance.

I'll suggest :

Fahrenheit Absolute
    Roberto Cavalli Black
    Tumulte pour Homme
    ( should still be able to find this one)
    Cartier Declaration Essence ( kinda pricey)
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

YSL L'Homme

I always suggest Dune pour Homme by Dior to these kind of questions, so ...
    + 1
    Did you just "Plus One" your own comment ?
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Dior Higher

shit, after buying pure malt tonight and smelling it for the first time, id feel bad for not at least recommending it in this thread.

He needs an everyday scent that has a few key attribute:

1 - versatile - it's got to be versatile. Wear it to class. Wear it to a date. Wherever, whenever. This excludes things that are way too sweet like La Nuit de L'Homme, Le Male, Pi, etc.

2 - not overly loud - overly loud scents are just obnoxious, especially to classmates that sit nearby.

3 - generally well liked - self explanatory.

The two scents that first come to mind that best fit those criteria are Givenchy Play - a wonderful and soft citrus scent (grapefruit + lemon/lime) that evolves and picks up some coffee and vanilla notes along the way. It is sweet but soft and muted - it doesn't project TOO far, so won't annoy everyone in a 15 foot radius, and yet it does last a long time and project a comfortable distance. This one is more forgiving of extra sprays, too, which teens are wont to do.

The second scent I recommend is YSL L'Homme - similar in projection and evolution to Givenchy Play, this scent starts out with more lemon and ginger, picks up some violet leaf on the way and finally ends with a sweet vanilla like (tonka) drydown.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I agree with L'Homme.

This collection posted by JMUHOBO is really probably your best bet:

http://sephora.com/browse/product.jh...dPaginate=true

There are a lot of good scents in there:

The ones I'm betting he'd like most are

Givenchy Play
    Versace PH
    Guerlain Homme

But regardless, you are letting him try 7 scents and choose his favorite. Just making the gift more active like that rather than so passive is a great idea. He'll have fun testing them and seeing what his friends and what girls think of them.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

victoria secret men fragrance is good too

Quote Originally Posted by flashpoint321 View Post
    I have been asked to buy a gift of cologne for a mid-teen boy. Any suggestions? I know teens tend to follow the crowd, but he seems to be an individualist, so I'm not sure what to buy. I welcome your ideas.
    Greatious, If You went to a shop You wouldn't have gotten such a variety of advices as here. So - why not go to the shop with that unlucky pubic guy at hand to check it out with himself? Fragrance is an intimate thing: whenever I want to use my ladies stuff I have to do it in secret. At least for a guy in that age range when growing up grooming can become more of a burdon.

In his peticular personal stage of juvenile development options are twofold: to go with the crowd or to show off. There is nothig in between seconded by very low odds that his preference for the camp he chooses today would survive the next party. To present him a fragrance shows some interest in his personal hygiene but won't be too successfull in having him smelling better.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Did you just "Plus One" your own comment ?
    +1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    +1
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by redneck perfumisto View Post
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by redneck perfumisto View Post
    +1
    lol

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by thepunjabi View Post
    being a 15 year old myself i like to stand out of the crowd when wearing a cologne so i would recommend la nuit de l`omme by yves st laurent
    La Nuit De L'Homme? Unique? NEVER! =P

Not many teenagers (I'm assuming we're talking about 14-18) wear cologne daily. A lot of them simply prefer Axe, as I've seen.

However, I could recommend cK Intense Euphoria, 1 Million, YSL La Nuit, or Armani Code. A lot of these are considered "popular" or "mainstream", but one must consider the fact that the market share that a particular designer has over such a young portion of the general consumer base would render what is considered "overdone" by most middle-aged individuals "unique" amongst the young.

Code was the first cologne I ever received at the age of 16. I still appreciate it quite a bit, despite the criticism it receives. From what I can remember, I never wanted to smell like everyone else back in school, and still don't in university (college if you're from the U.S. ;P).

I guess what I'm trying to say is to maybe find him something that's mainstream for individuals aged 18-24; he probably won't use it every day, but he'll grow into it with an appreciation for proper fragrances, as opposed to the stuff that I consider to be garbage that is sold at Aeropostale, Hollister, Abercrombie, and other such companies who think that a label means everything.

Mark
    1. Creed Aventus
    2. Armani Code
    3. Chanel Antaeus

AdG is always a safe choice for a teenager IMO.

Armani He is quite popular with the younger guys round these parts!

Quote Originally Posted by Mmarkk View Post
    La Nuit De L'Homme? Unique? NEVER! =P

Not many teenagers (I'm assuming we're talking about 14-18) wear cologne daily. A lot of them simply prefer Axe, as I've seen.

However, I could recommend cK Intense Euphoria, 1 Million, YSL La Nuit, or Armani Code. A lot of these are considered "popular" or "mainstream", but one must consider the fact that the market share that a particular designer has over such a young portion of the general consumer base would render what is considered "overdone" by most middle-aged individuals "unique" amongst the young.

Code was the first cologne I ever received at the age of 16. I still appreciate it quite a bit, despite the criticism it receives. From what I can remember, I never wanted to smell like everyone else back in school, and still don't in university (college if you're from the U.S. ;P).

I guess what I'm trying to say is to maybe find him something that's mainstream for individuals aged 18-24; he probably won't use it every day, but he'll grow into it with an appreciation for proper fragrances, as opposed to the stuff that I consider to be garbage that is sold at Aeropostale, Hollister, Abercrombie, and other such companies who think that a label means everything.

Mark
    The reason why I said it was unique was because people in my age group wear stuff that your ex girlfriend has already smelled on other guys, its always good to wear something people in my age group would not wear because its not a popular brand with teens, and the girls and my other friends love the smell of la nuit but i will never tell them what it is and its the same with leau d`issey, and edtion blanche and burberry brit they like them all but i will never tell them what it is because they say it smells much nicer than the mainstream stuff in highchools like armani and axe.

+1 Mugler Cologne
    +1 Ralph Lauren Big Pony Collection

Also, Abercrombie & Fitch Woods.

Threads kind of dated huh? But Play Intense is really nice for High school in the colder seasons. -1 on Mugler cologne. Burberry Brit would be excellent too, La Nuit I think smells a little bit older than 14-15 years, 18 I think would be better. One million is definitely a great choice for HS too. Anyway you go, some girl will probably still think its Hollister.

Billy Jealousy - Illicit