Code of Conduct

Default Does the Juice evaporate faster if you have less of it in the bottle?

I've been wondering for a while if the bottle is almost empty, say %10 is left or less, does the juice evaporate faster? I've had 2 or 3 cases of juice evaporation and all happened with perfumes that had very little left. It's not big deal if it's a fragrance I like since I'll use the juice before it evaporates and get a new bottle. But those fragrance I don't like very much, but would like to keep the last few ml's for reference, would it be safer to move them to a decant which they occupy a larger volume from? e.g. instead of leaving 5ml in a 100ml bottle where the rest of the volume is occupied by air.

Thanks,
    -Ekove

Default Re: Does the Juice evaporate faster if you have less of it in the bottle?

The evaporation rate can be lowered by reducing the headspace, area of air-liquid surface and temperature.
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

Default Re: Does the Juice evaporate faster if you have less of it in the bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by Nucking Fice View Post
    The evaporation rate can be lowered by reducing the headspace, area of air-liquid surface and temperature.
    That makes sense, but doubt I can do much about it without resorting to a decant. But I'm guessing you're confirming that theory I'm asking aboutby your reply?

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Evaporation rate (influenced mainly by the exchange of outside air with already saturated inside the bottle air) will probably remain constant if the seal on the bottle remains as is. The amount of juice that is incorporated into a given volume of headspace air is also a relative constant. The amount of incorporated juice into that captive bottle air is usually close to 100% of what it can possibly be. The the amount of new air introduced into the bottle from spritzing and exchange through a less than absolute seal, and the exchange rate itself, will influence further evaporative loss of juice to the air outside of the bottle, other conditions such as storage room barometric pressure, storage room temperature, humidity etc. remaining relatively constant. I would say overall it should be a negligible amount in the average life of a bottle of fragrance.
    Last edited by kbe; 18th September 2010 at 03:00 AM.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Evaporation rate (influenced mainly by the exchange of outside air with already saturated inside the bottle air) will probably remain constant if the seal on the bottle remains as is. The amount of juice that is incorporated into a given volume of headspace air is also a relative constant. The already introduced air and the already incorporated juice into that air varies is steady. The the amount of new air introduced into the bottle and the exchange rate will dictate further evaporative loss of juice to the air outside of the bottle, other conditions such as storage room barometric pressure, storage room temperature etc. remaining relatively constant. I would say overall it should be a negligible amount in the average life of a bottle of fragrance.
    Thanks for the detailed reply, however, what do you consider an average life of a bottle? I'm expecting some of my bottles to last no less than 5-10 years.

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My idea of an overall average bottle life, and it is an absolute guess, is in the 5-7 year range.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time