Code of Conduct

Default Vetiver--Does It Just Not Work for Some?

My first exposure to vetiver was via Guerlain's Vetiver. I have to say, I'm not a fan. Whatever the prime note is (I'm assuming vetiver) is, it's strong and relentless on me. I find it a bit green and feminine. I read all the notes, but I get no leather, etc. Just this big green blast.

Next two I tried, I liked: Creed's Original Vetiver, and Fat Electrician. Both are good blends, with some nice citrus and musk in the OV, and cedar in FE. I esp. like OV, and wear it a lot. Just a good, clean scent.

So based on all the rave reviews, I ordered some Encre Noir, thinking it would make a good autumn scent, as many speak of woody, smoky notes. I sampled it briefly this afternoon, and I must say that it smells 90% similar to the Guerlain, and has that same accord that just never mellows out, regardless of how long I give it to dry down. It survived my after-workout shower, even.

Is it something in my application of the stronger vetivers, or is this just likely a note that doesn't work on me? I can sport almost anything, from modern, unisex scents to Quorum. I eagerly awaited those crisp, dark notes of the EN, but they never showed up.

Is this possibly an acquired taste? I know that Vetiver wasn't something I was ever exposed to before....not something that my dad or brothers would have worn. Maybe it just smells to "foreign" to me. Maybe Im just a freak?

Does anyone else find vetiver-heavy scents to be "feminine" on them? This is puzzling.

Default Re: Vetiver--Does It Just Not Work for Some?

Vetiver is green, but not in the typical green sense, nor is it feminine. It smells like wet grass and a little bit of concrete. It could be your nose, maybe vetiver is just not your thing, vetiver is one of those notes that I don't find to be affected by skin chemistry that much. but that could also be the case as well. I didn't like vetiver when I first tried it, even though I'm familiar with it (the first thing that came to my mind was the type of fragrances my dad wears), but it grew on me very very quickly. But I really smelled harsh concrete the first time, nothing feminine at all.

Well, i dont exactly find them feminine but I can certainly relate to "doesnt work on/for me".

I have tried vetivers relentlessly over the last yeras, only to be exited about those I like, which, however, always turn out to not about vetiver all that much in the end.

it certainly is puzzling and I'm continuing my hunt for a frag I like that prominently stages vetiver but I have readjusted my hopes/expectations.

I have come to realise that there are notes that I simply dont approve of (i e violet) but there are also notes that literally grew on me (patchouly). So everything is not yet lost, I will just continue my testing spree and keep those disapproved samples close by for constant revisits.
    Smellin good

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

My husband loathes vetiver and can pick it out quickly in any perfume that has it.
    Not because it's feminine, though. He just doesn't like it.

You could try Tom Ford's grey vetiver, one of the fragrances with toned down vetiver, that still feels like a vetiver fragrance. And may I add; don't worry, it might just be a note that doesn't agree with your nose and/or skin. It's a note that people on these board seem to hype way too much, but it's not all that. It's just one of these unique notes that few appreciate, and you know how people hype anything that makes them feel different.

My first exposure to vetiver being used in a fragrance was through Guerlain's Vetiver and like you I found it to be off putting. I had purchased a small vial of high quality vetiver essential oil and fell in love with the scent, but something about the old soapy dry down in GV just really turns me off. You might be attributing that soapy dry down with being "feminine"? Other than that
    there's nothing remotely feminine about vetiver to my nose. It's one of the most masculine smelling scents for me.

I personally love the vetiver in Encre Noire, but don't find it that similar to GV. However, I do find that Encre Noire has a slight feminine edge to it. Not from the vetiver, but from something else. Just a hint.

There's nothing wrong with not liking vetiver. I wouldn't get to worked up over it.

accidental double post
    Last edited by IKL; 18th September 2010 at 01:30 AM. Reason: accidental double post

You may just prefer fragrances when the vetiver is soft and mellow. In Encre Noire it's very "in your face" and dark. Vetiver might not just be for you. For me it's Anise.. I despise black licorice so naturally Anise is disgusting.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    You could try Tom Ford's grey vetiver, one of the fragrances with toned down vetiver, that still feels like a vetiver fragrance.
    ++1

As LT says, it has an "unbending" quality. I don't like it (if it's too strong), but others do. It's a personal preference thing, that's all. I have some frags with mild vetiver, which can be fine, but once I get that unbending feeling, it's over.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 18th September 2010 at 02:37 AM.

Vetiver varies alot. Green, grassy vetivers I can take or leave depending on the specific fragrance; dry, woody, and dusty vetivers I just can't stand; spicy, sweet, and earthy vetivers I love, but they seem to be the rarest of the bunch. There is no one vetiver smell; it's fascinating that way.

It's O.K. if it doesn't work for you but I don't find vetiver to be feminine at all. In fact it's one of the most commonly used notes in men's products let alone straight fragrances. However, it also depends on the source and how it's treated. You can go from the citrusy green all the way to earthy/muddy.

I love vetiver and it's my most favorite note. It's one of the first notes that immensly affected me and was very evocative in a big way and it still is. Like many, I also consider Vetiver de Guerlain the gold standard. On the other hand, Tom Ford didn't impress me at all.

Maybe you just need to stay with the milder, cleaner blends. You'd want to stay away from Villoresi, MPG, Lalique, Etro and CdG.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    It's a note that people on these board seem to hype way too much, but it's not all that. It's just one of these unique notes that few appreciate, and you know how people hype anything that makes them feel different.
    Considering that it's one of the most common notes in perfumery, I'm not sure how "hyping" vetiver is supposed to make people feel "different". But it does seem to inspire strong reactions in people, both pro and con. Me, I can't get enough.

No reason to be concerned if it's not your thing, though. There are plenty of other notes out there to explore.

As a few others have said, it is entirely possible that vetiver just isn't something that you like, and that is fine. I count myself a fan and my two favorites- Guerlain's and Frederic Malle's are very different interpretations of the note.

I've loved vetiver from the first time I sniffed it! But it is so strong and distinctive a note that I can understand how some people wouldn't like vetiver dominated fragrances. I do not find it feminine at all on its own, although it is frequently used as an ingredient in feminine perfumes.

You might like frags such as Lanvin Vetyver and L'Occitane Vetiver. The Lanvin is a lighter fragrance while the L'Occitane is richer and a bit sweeter. Both are very good. The vetiver in both is used as part of the blend, and does not dominate the whole as it does in frags such as Encre Noir, the Guerlain, or Malle's VE.

It's a hidden oil having to do with the dark recesses and the potential for life and energy. It's also extremely masculine, so if you're perceiving it as feminine then something's wrong. Either way, you need to smell some quality vetiver essential oil to know what you really think about it.

People with a strong mind-body connection tend to love vetiver. People comfortable with their sexuality usually do as well, seeing sex very much as pure vitality and energy. There's nothing delicate or ethereal about vetiver. It's very much about the here and now.

People who spend too much time "living in the head" and initially believe they dislike vetiver, are often the ones who can benefit from it most. It's the perfect oil for anyone who has lost touch with something.

-- Edit: It's a masculine oil, but vetiver lovers (either male or female) will usually be perfectly balanced between their masculine and feminine sides.

Vetiver is grounding, centering, visionary, full of wisdom. It's used for such positive attributes as spiritual calmness, growth, integrity, wisdom, mind-body connection, strength, and others.

-- For what it's worth, vetiver was also one of the four ingredients that Jacques Guerlain considered to be the four noble essences:

Jasmine
    Tuberose
    Sandalwood
    Vetiver

Being that vetiver is probably the most widely used perfumery ingredient other than vanilla, it's prominent in many fragrances. You could try Loewe pour Homme for a good vetiver note that's well integrated within a spicy citrus fougere.

_
    Last edited by pluran; 18th September 2010 at 01:55 PM. Reason: butterbur rhizome

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    It's a hidden oil having to do with the dark recesses and the potential for life and energy. It's also extremely masculine, so if you're perceiving it as feminine then something's wrong. Either way, you need to smell some quality vetiver essential oil to know what you really think about it.

People with a strong mind-body connection tend to love vetiver. People comfortable with their sexuality usually do as well, seeing sex very much as pure vitality and energy. There's nothing delicate or ethereal about vetiver. It's very much about the here and now.

People who spend too much time "living in the head" and initially believe they dislike vetiver, are often the ones who can benefit from it most. It's the perfect oil for anyone who has lost touch with something.
    Your icon went really well with this post.

i've never heard it expressed as pluran does above, but what he says rings very true. i've forever loved a number of vetiver scents in every respect except, unfortunately, how i related to them as applied to me. this was the case with FM Extraordinaire, Etro, Guerlain, LV--to name just a few. Was very frustrating for me, because as much as I dug these amazing creations, ultimately, they didn't sit well--didn't click with me. All I can say is that the one vetiver fragrance which has cut through that "barrier" for me, very recently, has been Different Co. Sel de Vetiver. You may want to give it a try. I find it uplifting and quietly captivating.

I guess I can appreciate it as a "note" within a blend, but the stronger concentrations are lost on me. I read so many talking about the darker nuances of Encre Noir, and I totally don't get them. I just get the plain ol' vetiver that didn't smell good on me before, and still doesn't.

Ahh well, I guess I tried!

I`m not a big fan of plain Vetiver fragrances.. The only one I like Is Creed OV, because it`s soft and smooth. Not hars, bitter, and grassy like many others.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I tried but could not like Guerlain Vetiver, but love Guerlain's Vetiver Extreme because the rawness of GV is cut with nutmeg and tonka. I prefer my vetivers grassy than rooty but oddly i love Encre noire and Givenchy Vetyver. Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver is fantastic, as well as Creed's Original Vetiver.

One unsung vetiver frag i would strongly recommend is Azzaro Pure Vetiver. Its not a "pure" vetiver but a beautiful grassy ozonic vetiver.

For vetiver-lite: Eau de Paco Rabanne and Paul Smith Story.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

My biggest problem with vetiver of an entirely different kind, thus somehow off-topic, but while I love its notes and it smells anything but feminine on me, whatever I do, almost any vetiver scent from almost any fragrance house is sooooooo short-lived on me, their longevity being close to non-existent

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    My biggest problem with vetiver of an entirely different kind, thus somehow off-topic, but while I love its notes and it smells anything but feminine on me, whatever I do, almost any vetiver scent from almost any fragrance house is sooooooo short-lived on me, their longevity being close to non-existent
    Interesting. It could either be your skin or your nose, Ken. What happens if you wear it on clothing? If it lasts, it's your skin that's doing it - perhaps something that breaks it down. If it doesn't last, even on clothing, it's your nose, meaning some kind of excessive olfactory fatigue.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by A. Homme View Post
    Ahh well, I guess I tried!
    I think that is most important. Maybe vetiver isn't for you, but I am sure many other notes will work well for you.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I've thought this over too, as it might just be my nose, since I do not feel it on clothing either as soon as a certain time after the application has elapsed

Vetiver, is no different than a host of other notes in that they don't work for some. Whether it be a skin thing, or a nose thing meaning that you might never agree with Vetiver in any form. Which is ok as Vetiver is by no means the only game in town. There's a whole world of notes that need to be explored, so move beyond Vetiver, and get to gettin. As for me Vetiver is by far my favorite note in the world of fragrances.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Most vetivers I dislike, the creed 1948 vetiver is my fav, their new one is ok but i want to smell it again. Other than that the rest do not smell good to me.

Vetiver is not feminine imo. I just think you don't particularly like it which is fine. I have a couple of them, but don't tend to wear them much. The two Creed vetivers are quite unique and different from Guerlain, Encre Noir and Vetiver Extraordinaire.

I'm not very fond of Guerlain Vetiver but I can see where a lot of people would love it.