Code of Conduct

Default The journey on Basenotes

Talking in other thread, this journey came to my mind... I think this steps is followed by me and by about anyone:

1- Came and start to find and then buy some good commercials with good longevity. From the same gender of the person. Here its easy to give up and quite the party.

2- Then comes to the high end commercials, like Chanel and Guerlain. Getting serious on the hobby, and spent a money that he never thought that will spent in a single bottle. The thingy is grabbing on you...

3 - Niche appears, and the things are starting to go out of control. Also start to consider the oposite gender of fragrances, getting some bottles that is "Market as the opposite gender, but trully unisex". Now is very, very hard to out of this business.

4 - The last and most dangerous step: Vintages and Discontinueds... Here the money gets out of control. You spend about 50% of your time thinking in fragrances, searching for gems and hidden stuffs. Also, gender is not a problem, you try and buy everything on the marked. This is have no end. Here its almost impossible to go out of the fragrances world.

Sorry for my bad english, and thanks to make me 400usd more poor per month!
    I spent 1/3 of my wage on this crazy hobby!

Default Re: The journey on Basenotes

It's like being a junkie. I need to have my 'hit' and watch everyday what you guys are talking about and reviewing. I then think "Ooohh, I'll just try that one" or 'Oh, one more bottle won't hurt'. Who am I kidding, I've caved to this beautiful game. I also find I'm talking more and more about scents to friends and family and strangers. If you find that I haven't posted for a while it could be someone has killed me for not shutting up about castoreum or something.
    La vita č breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    Sorry for my bad english!
    Don't apologize, your English is almost flawless!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

For us Fraddicts Basenotes is our Group Therapy Meeting
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Whenever possible, sample, sample, sample. It makes the purchase of something you found that you love done without regret.
    - Expect the unexpected

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Nice post, d4N13L. Frags at Basenotes level can be costly. But i am sure you enjoy the journey, like i do. May we all enjoy and be satisfied by our fragrant journeys without loss in other important parts of our lives.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by Flaconneur View Post
    Whenever possible, sample, sample, sample. It makes the purchase of something you found that you love done without regret.
    Indeed! Lately I've exclusively been buying samples, decants, and travel sprays. I'm not sure if I'll ever need to buy a full bottle again.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Blog Entries

Nice post!

But you missed a couple of important steps:

The realization that there are hundreds of frags out there that basically smell very similar (whether popular, niche, or vintage, this always applies) and you're better off buying samples than full bottles because you don't want 6 full bottles that all smell like rose over honey with a light soapy musk in the base (as an example)

Another money saver, although it looks snobbish to newbies, is the eventual realization that it's better to save up and buy one amazing $300 frag than 15 nice, affordable, good-but-not-mind-blowing discounted $30 frags. Quality will eventually win out over quantity (unless you're rich enough to just buy everything you like!)
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    ...Quality will eventually win out over quantity (unless you're rich enough to just buy everything you like!)
    Wise words
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    Nice post!

But you missed a couple of important steps:

Another money saver, although it looks snobbish to newbies, is the eventual realization that it's better to save up and buy one amazing $300 frag than 15 nice, affordable, good-but-not-mind-blowing discounted $30 frags. Quality will eventually win out over quantity (unless you're rich enough to just buy everything you like!)
    Very clever point. With my new APOM I think I'll not buy a new scent this year.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    Talking in other thread, this journey came to my mind... I think this steps is followed by me and by about anyone:

1- Came and start to find and then buy some good commercials with good longevity. From the same gender of the person. Here its easy to give up and quite the party.

2- Then comes to the high end commercials, like Chanel and Guerlain. Getting serious on the hobby, and spent a money that he never thought that will spent in a single bottle. The thingy is grabbing on you...

3 - Niche appears, and the things are starting to go out of control. Also start to consider the oposite gender of fragrances, getting some bottles that is "Market as the opposite gender, but trully unisex". Now is very, very hard to out of this business.

4 - The last and most dangerous step: Vintages and Discontinueds... Here the money gets out of control. You spend about 50% of your time thinking in fragrances, searching for gems and hidden stuffs. Also, gender is not a problem, you try and buy everything on the marked. This is have no end. Here its almost impossible to go out of the fragrances world.

Sorry for my bad english, and thanks to make me 400usd more poor per month!
    I spent 1/3 of my wage on this crazy hobby!
    I've often thought about the 'progression of the perfumista' and your summary describes it accurately.

What is also interesting is the deceleration of the hobby - when people become less interested. I've seen this several times and it usually starts with selling off 'extra' fragrances and backups you'd been keeping 'for someday'. You stop buying fragrances and give away your samples and decants. Eventually you sell off chunks of your collection, keeping your absolute favorites.

I've seen the above several times and wonder if/when it happens to me....

Speaking for myself, the progression was:
    (1) Your step 1
    (2) Blind buy "cheapies" because of decent reviews and their price
    (3) Your steps (2) (3) and (4) in the opposite order.. e.g. I bought Colours by Alexander Julian (discontinued) before I bought my first niches (Orris Noir and Isfarkand by OJ), which was before I pulled the trigger on a bunch of Guerlains.

Quietly awaiting the fabled step (4) where I give away/sell a bunch of my extras.

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    Indeed! Lately I've exclusively been buying samples, decants, and travel sprays. I'm not sure if I'll ever need to buy a full bottle again.
    I do purchase full bottles, CanwllCorfe. I just don't blind buy. I always test driving a fragrance first. It also has to be a must have or I don't purchase it. It keeps my collection exactly what I love not what I though I liked.
    - Expect the unexpected

I often forget how harsh I can afford to be... i.e. how high I could set the bar for keeping or ditching a frag, loving it vs liking it. Sometimes I remember, and thus can chip away at a collection which is bigger than necessary (80ish), but now that most of the survivors are decants rather than full bottles, the competition for space is less and I can let it slide.