Code of Conduct

Default Aventus at FragranceX

Hey, I was browsing fragrancex and happened to see they have aventus for sale. Not a huge price difference but still about $40. Figured some of you might be interested. It says only 9 left though.

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Aventus at FragranceX

But what batch number is it?
    Last edited by petruccijc; 27th July 2011 at 06:50 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I doubt Fragrancex or anyone else would verify that if you asked. I think you have to roll the dice.

spend a little bit more and get it from Creed boutique, better safe than sorry, especially with Creed, but the choice is yours.

Quote Originally Posted by vox View Post
    spend a little bit more and get it from Creed boutique, better safe than sorry, especially with Creed, but the choice is yours.
    Although FragranceX is a reputable online retailer, in this case, I think your advice is sound.

Personally I'd buy strictly from retailer since i don't trust online sites ie: fragrance.net

If it's batch C4210E01 grab it immediately...

Why would you not trust sites like fragrancex? I would think anyone trying to run a reputable business wouldn't be into selling fakes?

I have never heard anyone say fragrancex.com sells unauthentic fragrances. A few gripes here and there about customer service, but none about authenticity. I've ordered from them several times, including ordering about five or six Creeds, and have always received authentic scents. Very pleased overall.

it's not about the authenticity of the fragrances, but rather about the freshness/batches of Creeds in particular. Why run the risk of getting an ash-filled Aventus instead just because of a (relatively) little amount of $40?

I've ordered from fragrancex and all their fragrances are legit. Would I buy Aventus without knowing the batch #. Absolutely not!

Quote Originally Posted by Livingdead View Post
    it's not about the authenticity of the fragrances, but rather about the freshness/batches of Creeds in particular. Why run the risk of getting an ash-filled Aventus instead just because of a (relatively) little amount of $40?
    I appreciate your point, but isn't the problem that any given bottle of Aventus, whether from Nordstrom, Saks, or fragrancex.com, and whether old or new, could be from a bad batch? Now, if you mean that someone should always buy from a source that lets you know the particular lot number of the bottle you're buying, so you can match it up with a list of good/bad batches, then I see what you mean. That's a valid reason to always buy from a lot-disclosing source. Or you could just buy a cologne that isn't insufferably variable and avoid Aventus altogether, which is what I do. To each his or her own.

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    I appreciate your point, but isn't the problem that any given bottle of Aventus, whether from Nordstrom, Saks, or fragrancex.com, and whether old or new, could be from a bad batch? Now, if you mean that someone should always buy from a source that lets you know the particular lot number of the bottle you're buying, so you can match it up with a list of good/bad batches, then I see what you mean. That's a valid reason to always buy from a lot-disclosing source. Or you could just buy a cologne that isn't insufferably variable and avoid Aventus altogether, which is what I do. To each his or her own.
    Yeah that's what I meant. I don't mind buying from online retailers at all - in fact that's what I do most of the time. However for Creeds I'd rather not take the risk that's all.

Just ordered Aventus from them and will update this thread with the batch # and general review when I get it in a week. Its on the way. I got the 4.0 oz for $213.00 shipped using the 11% discount code "cabin11". Basenotes code is 10% but they are not stackable. Creeds aren't shrink wrapped so I can see the batch # and return if its crap. 30 day return policy.

^ Not that big a difference, but for future reference, "basenotes" is actually a 15% coupon code.

Quote Originally Posted by Blak01 View Post
    ^ Not that big a difference, but for future reference, "basenotes" is actually a 15% coupon code.
    At Fragrancenet it's 15%, but at FragranceX it's 10%. Fletch31 went the better route with the 11%

Good to see FX is carrying this one. I'd like to see a nice saturation of the market of this fragrance...Would help to reduce cost.

Quote Originally Posted by leor_77 View Post
    Good to see FX is carrying this one. I'd like to see a nice saturation of the market of this fragrance...Would help to reduce cost.
    Ditto, I'm hoping by the time my 2.5 oz bottle has run out, the 4.0 oz bottle will be acquirable for the same price or less. Hopefully by then, Creed will have figured out the right formula for this and start putting out some stable batches more along the lines of GIT

*Insert John Lennon "You may say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one"*

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney_Falco View Post
    At Fragrancenet it's 15%, but at FragranceX it's 10%. Fletch31 went the better route with the 11%
    I stopped reading at "fragran..." and assumed "cenet" followed. lol

But yea', a good deal nevertheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch31 View Post
    Just ordered Aventus from them and will update this thread with the batch # and general review when I get it in a week. Its on the way. I got the 4.0 oz for $213.00 shipped using the 11% discount code "cabin11". Basenotes code is 10% but they are not stackable. Creeds aren't shrink wrapped so I can see the batch # and return if its crap. 30 day return policy.
    I think there will be ample interest on what you report back, although it's certainly possible that they could have more than one batch in their inventory.

My bottle came today and I was happy to see it arrived intact with no issues, new in the box having never been sprayed. You will get legit stuff from fragrancex. I got mine for 213.00 usd. As far as the fragrance itself, the opening was tart and a bit sparkly with a strong smokey birch wood smell with some white musk reminder that I recall from the drydown of creed's virgin island water. I caught faint apples in a way that reminded me of versace au fraiche and what I believe is black current but no discernable pineapple really. Nothing that grabs me by the throat and screams "I am Pineapple!!!" The opening is mildly tart and citrusy but I dont think I would have thought of pineapple if I wasnt looking for it per se. The citrus moved towards the back rather quickly (10 mins) and a smokey, mossy, leathery, wood smell remained with apple dancing around. Just a slight sweetness. The woody note is not like resinous pine like a pine candle or christmas tree needles but it is like fresh cut wood. The smokeyness is not overbearing. A half hour later, it is still lightly sweet and surprisingly I keep getting wiffs of the citrusy tartness. Last October I had a couple sample vials of this which I have since used and I recall it being more citrusy in the opening than this but honestly I wouldnt have pegged pineapple really for those either. I have only had this on for about 40 mins but it has a good amount of sillage. I only sprayed it on both forearms to keep my nose fatigue down so I could give an accurate measure of longevity which I will update. I definately know it is there without bringing my arm up to my face. This is a masculine smokey, mossy, woody fragrance with a bit of fruit in there giving some sweetness. If I change my expectations from a fruity blast to something very wearable and appealing with a more classic 80's base with the oakmoss being nicely present, I like it and I am keeping it.

Creeds do change for the better a bit with aging and this is a fairly recent production. My GIT was strong to begin with and became much more strong over a couple of months to the point that I can only use two sprays really and my MI went from fairly weak to a solid 8 hours with stronger melon over a couple of months too. I am curious what will happen with this.

My batch number is s42b11s01. Another person on the batch # thread received this same batch (also from fragrancex) and sent it back because he thought it was too ashy. Its smokey to me but it is not ashy and I think it is pretty well blended meaning the smokeyness is not overpowering. It is not distracting like the rubber note in Bulgari black or as prominant in my opinion. I havent smelled Aventus as the ultimate pineapple fragrance ever but some claim to have had a pineapple fruit orgasm. I am admittedly limited in my experience not having smelled many other batches.

Bottom line: Im keeping it, I like it, and I think it is a well done perhaps higher designer level instead of niche level fragrance that is masculine in a way that reminds me of prominant oakmossy frags from the 80's without the dated feeling. I think it is a great modern update on that era and if future Aventus offerings are like this 4.0 oz I think it would still deserve a nod though I would look forward to a $150 price range from discounters. I don't think it is unisex at all and it is quite strong thus far. My experience with fragrancex as a vendor was without issue I will just post up a longevity edit by the end of the day. Thanks for reading
    Fletch31

Edit: Sillage was noticably strong for about 4 hours. I could smell it on my arm about 4 inches away after 5 hours. The smokeyness died down significantly after 2.5 hours total and I was left with an sweet woody, fruity base for the rest of the time. I went to the gym after 7 hours total and it really kicked off again noticably. At 8 and a half hours I can still smell it on my skin though I doubt there is any projection from it. Someone nuzzling me would get it though. It is very pleasing. I'm going to bed and will see if it is detectable in the morning.
    Last edited by Fletch31; 7th September 2011 at 05:14 AM. Reason: longevity update

Thanks for your report.

I also received my 2.5oz Aventus today (NOT from FragranceX), and am loving it. Gonna give it a full wear tomorrow!

Thanks for the update Fletch much appreciated

Thanks for the update, let us know how the longevity goes.

Thanks Fletch! That's a great description - you have a great nose. You should see a slight decrease in the smokiness, and an increase in the fruit in time, or at least, as per my experience.

Hi everyone, I am new to Basenotes.
    After reading all the great things about Aventus, I took the plunge and bought a bottle.
    I got it from FragranceX with the same lot number as Fletch.
    This is a very good batch. Fresh pineapple on the beginning and slowly turns into smokey sweet on drydown with fruits always detectable in the background. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_T View Post
    Hi everyone, I am new to Basenotes.
    After reading all the great things about Aventus, I took the plunge and bought a bottle.
    I got it from FragranceX with the same lot number as Fletch.
    This is a very good batch. Fresh pineapple on the beginning and slowly turns into smokey sweet on drydown with fruits always detectable in the background. I love it.
    Glad you are enjoying it.

It's back in stock for anybody that's interested. Just ordered myself a Christmas present. Eeeeee!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    It's back in stock for anybody that's interested. Just ordered myself a Christmas present. Eeeeee!!!!!
    any coupons available?

I used the coupon "cyber" for 11% off and free shipping (if you live in the states). Cost me $230, if you live in America would be $220 I believe. Not bad considering it retails for $285 plus tax.

local fragrance spot by my house sells creed and is selling the 4 oz bottle for 190$! i was going to get one but he sold out and isn't getting another shipment for another week..

If the batch number is really the only thing to go by as far as the quality of the fragrance what would it matter if its from the Creed website or not? The fragrance is still pretty new so I don't see how there could be an issue of old stock. So again, what benefit would you get from ordering it from Creed which happens to be a little more expensive.

^ Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think the reasoning behind that is that Creed knows which batches are considered to be "bad" and doesn't sell them through their website. Also could be that people are paranoid of getting a fake, even though I don't think there are any fake Aventus' yet.

Fragrancenet also has Aventus back in stock, but only the 2.5 oz bottle. Strangely, it's almost as much as the 4 oz. bottle at FragranceX.

Fragrancenet has 20% off with the code TSPECP20. I believe I saw this goes through January 6th, but I haven't verified that.