Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 45 of 45
  1. #1

    Default I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    ... but I can't say I'm blown away with it. Maybe my expactations where too high (Le Grand Duc is to blame for this ).

    Dior Homme Intense is obviously the gourmand of the series. It is much more masculine, darker and heavier than it's predecessor. The infamous iris note is subdued and what I get is an all around creamy chocolate vibe. Only for the first 15 to 20 minutes I get much similarities with the original Dior Homme. In the late drydown the overall feel is like when you are smelling choco mousse wint hints of hazelnut.
    I can only see myself wearing this in a formal setting and maybe on a night out.
    The lasting power and sillage are excellent.

    Where I would rate the original Dior Homme with 4 stars out of 5, I would give Dior Homme Intense 3 stars for now. Maybe I have to grow into it. Dior Homme is much more original and creative in my opinion. With Dior Homme Intense, I just have the feeling that I've all smelled it before.
    Acqua di Giò is my guilty pleasure. What's yours?

  2. #2

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    Such a coincidence. I happened to try it today too, and while I haven't tried the original "Dior Homme" version, I think that there is a lot of chocolate going on in here for my tastes.

    It's not a bad scent, but not my cup of tea.

  3. #3

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    I agree that Dior Homme is more interesting than Dior Homme Intense. Also I have to say that there are real gourmands like Rochas, Pure Malt, A*Men that are way more fun than Dior Intense, leaving it in category "smelling good and well done with exceptional longevity but not that much interesting". It is well done but I dont feel like I'd need a bottle of this.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

    1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

    TOP 5 cold weather:

    1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

  4. #4

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    I also prefer the regular Dior Homme over the Intense. But I still think Dior Intense is much better than many others gourmands out there, like A*men, Pure Malt, Rochas Man.

  5. #5

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    I ordered a sample online, should be here in a few days. I enjoyed Dior Homme but tend to gravitate toward gourmands, so I'm hoping that I will like this one better. I love fragrances like A*Men and Lolita Lempicka.

  6. #6

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    DH Intense grows on you. Give it a couple more wears. I find it good for cozy evenings at home. The "baked goods" smell is very comforting and pleasant. Good stuff at bedtime.

    I like it much better than most other gourmands I've smelled, including Pure Malt and New Haarlem, which both get high marks around here.

    Of the DH family, my favorite is DH Cologne. It's been tweaked just a pinch to make it a bit more light and refreshing. Highly recommended if you like the EdT version.

  7. #7

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    Give it more scrutiny the next time you wear it. It really is one of the best releases of the last three years.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

  8. #8

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    I can still smell it on my wrist after a shower and a bath (more than 24hs). Smells like chocolate ice cream, I don't like it.
    Acqua di Giò is my guilty pleasure. What's yours?

  9. #9

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    Can anyone compare it to Amour de Cacao ?

  10. #10

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    Quote Originally Posted by Desmond Hume View Post
    ... but I can't say I'm blown away with it. Maybe my expactations where too high (Le Grand Duc is to blame for this ).

    Dior Homme Intense is obviously the gourmand of the series. It is much more masculine, darker and heavier than it's predecessor. The infamous iris note is subdued and what I get is an all around creamy chocolate vibe. Only for the first 15 to 20 minutes I get much similarities with the original Dior Homme. In the late drydown the overall feel is like when you are smelling choco mousse wint hints of hazelnut.
    I can only see myself wearing this in a formal setting and maybe on a night out.
    The lasting power and sillage are excellent.

    Where I would rate the original Dior Homme with 4 stars out of 5, I would give Dior Homme Intense 3 stars for now. Maybe I have to grow into it. Dior Homme is much more original and creative in my opinion. With Dior Homme Intense, I just have the feeling that I've all smelled it before.
    Can it be that you are also from Belgium? (like me)
    Can I ask you where you tested this, or did you order a sample online?

    A more masculine and darker Dior Homme sounds very good to me.

  11. #11
    Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    7,146

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    Quote Originally Posted by Desmond Hume View Post
    ... but I can't say I'm blown away with it. Maybe my expactations where too high (Le Grand Duc is to blame for this ).
    What ... what?!

    When I have praised DHI here on BN, I've always, well, almost always, said,
    that it's not for everybody, and that some ppl find it vile.
    Still, to me, it's the closest any designer frag has ever come to niche standart.

  12. #12

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    Dior Homme Intense is on my to get list! Everlasting is the correct term for this frag & it should fit inside any wardrobe that craves gourmand scents! Especially the chocolate ones!
    To be successful, you must smell successful! THATSMR2USIR

  13. #13

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    Can it be that you are also from Belgium? (like me)
    Can I ask you where you tested this, or did you order a sample online?

    A more masculine and darker Dior Homme sounds very good to me.
    Yes, I am from Belgium. I tried it in Planet Parfum in Leuven (Bondgenotenlaan). They have 50 ml and 100 ml bottles. Inno only carries Dior Homme, Sport and Cologne.

    If you love chocolate gourmands that last with sillage, you can order it blind!
    Acqua di Giò is my guilty pleasure. What's yours?

  14. #14

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    Quote Originally Posted by Desmond Hume View Post
    Yes, I am from Belgium. I tried it in Planet Parfum in Leuven (Bondgenotenlaan). They have 50 ml and 100 ml bottles. Inno only carries Dior Homme, Sport and Cologne.

    If you love chocolate gourmands that last with sillage, you can order it blind!
    Thank you for your answer. I thought the Intense was a hard to get fragrance, but it's just available in Planet Parfum!
    Great news.

  15. #15

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    By preference I would rate the DH Series as:

    Dior Homme Cologne
    Dior Homme Intense
    Dior Homme

    While, I respect the direction that Dior took with the release of Dior Homme, I feel they perfected the theme with Dior Homme Cologne, and took an interesting, and well-executed twist on that theme with Intense. IMO, Dior Homme was done with a heavy hand, and has a tendency to merely "sit" on the skin, without doing much of anything for its duration.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

    Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

    Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

  16. #16

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    I tested the Intense version and to me it smelled like a hundred of make-up bags

  17. #17

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    after 30 minutes it reminded me somehow of l'instant de guirlan !!!!!!!!

  18. #18

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    is it worth getting if I already have Rochas Man and Pure malt?

  19. #19

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    Quote Originally Posted by archelon View Post
    is it worth getting if I already have Rochas Man and Pure malt?
    Yes yes. It's much better, more high quality, more versatile, fewer harsh tangents. . . I could go on. It's an essential part of my wardrobe, and I own Rochas Man and Pure Malt, too. Wearing Rochas Man right now, actually.

  20. #20

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    I tried Dior Homme and personally, I would rather smell it on a women.

    I am not a big fan of gourmands, esp ones with a lipstick smell to them
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

  21. #21

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    I tried Dior Homme and personally, I would rather smell it on a women.

    I am not a big fan of gourmands, esp ones with a lipstick smell to them
    Gotta admit, I love the lipstick smell. Guess that's why I love DHI. I've received many compliments while wearing it, too. I don't think its too girly, but you do have to go very slowly with application. Be careful for office or professional wear. On weekends and evenings, it's an extraordinary treat - rich, sweet, smooth, smoky, vanilla, cocoa, and lipstick iris - so enjoyable. . . just relax and say yes as the rich and complex layers come forward in shifting and unexpected ways. It's beautiful stuff.

  22. #22

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    I hated the lipstick smell at first. The more and more I wore it the more and more I came around to it. Now I actually think I may purchase a bottle. Probably a 50ml since it seems pretty potent.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

    Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

  23. #23

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    It's one of the gr8st fragrances on the market. You smell like a BOSS.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

  24. #24
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    79,151

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    Quote Originally Posted by archelon View Post
    is it worth getting if I already have Rochas Man and Pure malt?
    In my opinion I think it is. They're noticeably different.

  25. #25

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    I wanted to start a new thread, as I just tried myself, but will just put my thoughts here. Besides Pure Malt, I haven't seen hype like this in quite a while!

    I really like it, but It reminds me quite a lot of Flowerbomb. My sister sometimes overdoes it with FB, so I can't say I'm exactly crazy about that particular fragrance. Might be the powdery vanilla, and iris (lipstick smell). Let me see how it smells as it goes through the mid and base.

  26. #26

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    I am among the ones who prefer Intense to the regular Dior Homme

  27. #27

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    I agree that Dior Homme is more interesting than Dior Homme Intense. Also I have to say that there are real gourmands like Rochas, Pure Malt, A*Men that are way more fun than Dior Intense, leaving it in category "smelling good and well done with exceptional longevity but not that much interesting". It is well done but I dont feel like I'd need a bottle of this.
    Ok, but somehow you have it at the top of your list...?

  28. #28

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    duplicate
    Last edited by neal; 10th September 2011 at 12:10 AM.

  29. #29
    Dependent hobbes22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco CA
    Posts
    1,411

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    I am among the ones who prefer Intense to the regular Dior Homme
    I agree, though both are very good.

  30. #30

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    I discovered L'Instant before this, believing I had found heaven in a bottle, it pretty much made all other gourmands look pretty crude. Then came DHI and was even better. Brilliant and powerful.

  31. #31

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    I agree that Dior Homme is more interesting than Dior Homme Intense. Also I have to say that there are real gourmands like Rochas, Pure Malt, A*Men that are way more fun than Dior Intense, leaving it in category "smelling good and well done with exceptional longevity but not that much interesting". It is well done but I dont feel like I'd need a bottle of this.
    LOL at this. It's listed as your number 1 in your signature now It must have grown on you haha!

  32. #32

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    I discovered L'Instant before this, believing I had found heaven in a bottle, it pretty much made all other gourmands look pretty crude. Then came DHI and was even better. Brilliant and powerful.
    oh gosh dude, don't say that!

    That just makes me want to rush to the nearest store and forget any price that's attached to it. I really would like to get my hands on this powerful thing

  33. #33
    Basenotes Junkie Sidney_Falco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    City of Angels/helL.A.
    Posts
    732

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyme View Post
    oh gosh dude, don't say that!

    That just makes me want to rush to the nearest store and forget any price that's attached to it. I really would like to get my hands on this powerful thing
    I'm actually wearing L'Instant Extreme and DHI on either arm at the moment to form a conclusive opinion of which situations I'm going to use both of these in moving forward. My knee-jerk reaction right now is L'Instant Extreme is better for a date and DHI is better for a bar/social gathering. Both are absolutely fantastic, they actually both get better the longer you wear them wherein the top notes you're sort of like "wow, this is pretty good" and then about an hour later your mind has melted from how good both of these are

  34. #34

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    Quote Originally Posted by Sidney_Falco View Post
    I'm actually wearing L'Instant Extreme and DHI on either arm at the moment to form a conclusive opinion of which situations I'm going to use both of these in moving forward. My knee-jerk reaction right now is L'Instant Extreme is better for a date and DHI is better for a bar/social gathering. Both are absolutely fantastic, they actually both get better the longer you wear them wherein the top notes you're sort of like "wow, this is pretty good" and then about an hour later your mind has melted from how good both of these are
    They're both unique in their own rights.

    DHI has a slighter edge on my skin, because it suddenly re-appears after a lonnnnng day and i start getting whiffs of its delicious cacao/vanilla when i thought it was gone . L'instant doesn't do that for me, but not complaining . I love them both .
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

  35. #35

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    I do need to sample DHI given all the attention it garners. But I must say I find it interesting that the most frequent reference in here is to chocolate when Luca Turin references it as "baked apple."

  36. #36
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,298
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I do need to sample DHI given all the attention it garners. But I must say I find it interesting that the most frequent reference in here is to chocolate when Luca Turin references it as "baked apple."
    I think you can describe it both ways. Combine all the notes together, and it almost has the cinnamon/sugar/fruity edible yet inedible quality of baked apples - possibly with too much spice. But if you dig for the note, cocoa/cacao/chocolate is definitely there.

    You definitely need to sample this. I love it. Without trying to offend anybody, it's a bit like Olivier Creed's reimagining of Pure Malt, using Dior Homme and L'Instant Pour Homme Extreme as a guide. It's the best-smelling WTF that I've sniffed in a while.
    * * * *

  37. #37

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    Keep in mind that we are not all looking for the same thing, even those who deserve to be called aficionados. I haven't tried DHI, but for me, DH becomes boring after a few hours, just like L'Instant PH EdT. Roadster, on the other hand, while not being as impressive for the first few hours, has good dynamism for 8+ hours. This is also true for Rose d'Homme.

  38. #38
    Basenotes Junkie Sidney_Falco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    City of Angels/helL.A.
    Posts
    732

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Keep in mind that we are not all looking for the same thing, even those who deserve to be called aficionados. I haven't tried DHI, but for me, DH becomes boring after a few hours, just like L'Instant PH EdT. Roadster, on the other hand, while not being as impressive for the first few hours, has good dynamism for 8+ hours. This is also true for Rose d'Homme.
    DHI to me actually is very linear. Other than the top notes which are very dynamic and a combination of so many different things, after about an hour the fragrance doesn't really change for the next 11 or so hours

  39. #39

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    Linear bases may be okay if you are walking around a lot, but when you sit a lot, like me, I think there is a tendency to get bored if there isn't much dynamism.

  40. #40

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post
    LOL at this. It's listed as your number 1 in your signature now It must have grown on you haha!
    Hehe. Yeah, I feel kinda weird that it made it to my no.1 now but I still think that Rochas, Pure Malt and A*Men are more fun fragrances that DHI. DHI is just perfectly executed and I love it for its versatility and longevity.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

    1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

    TOP 5 cold weather:

    1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

  41. #41

    Lightbulb Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    You know, a few years back when I starting coming to Basenotes, Dior Homme was the rage and Dior Homme Intense was considered a lackluster fragrance that paled in comparison to the original. You guys may not remember but I certainly do. Dior Homme this and Dior Homme that, but when anyone asked about DHI, it was generally scoffed.

    Now everyone is gaga over DHI and the original doesn't get talked about that much anymore.

    And the bandwagon keeps rolling along....

  42. #42

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    i am still a little unsure about my thoughts regarding my recent purchase of DHI. originally it seemed to last no more than 3 hours on my skin. after a week of testing though, i find that it does indeed last much longer but unfortunately sits incredibly close to the skin. after the first 3 hours i can only faintly smell it on my arm (if i put my nose right up against the application area) for a total of 8+ hours longevity.

    in the dry down i get a rhubarb vibe. this has had me worried (thinking i have the reformulated version with the pear note), as i have only read comments about cocoa and vanilla with DHI. reading comments like "baked apple pie" for the first time, makes me feel slightly more comfortable. i find this is a very similar comparison to what i am smelling. i tested DHI in a shop for the first time today as well and it smelled exactly the same as my bottle. they could have the newest stock on the shelves of course, so i am still none the wiser to which version i have lol.

  43. #43

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    I agree that Dior Homme is more interesting than Dior Homme Intense. Also I have to say that there are real gourmands like Rochas, Pure Malt, A*Men that are way more fun than Dior Intense, leaving it in category "smelling good and well done with exceptional longevity but not that much interesting". It is well done but I dont feel like I'd need a bottle of this.
    Forgive me as I am puzzled. If you feel you dont a bottle of this , why is it No. 1 on your Top 5 list?

  44. #44

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    Quote Originally Posted by stanmar View Post
    If you feel you dont a bottle of this, why is it No. 1 on your Top 5 list?

  45. #45

    Default Re: I finally tried Dior Homme Intense

    The lipstick vibe ? Or, whatever it is, is completely lost in the Intense version.

    The Intense drys down to a plain cadburys drinking chocolate powder, it has none of the elegance or individuality of the original, i think if the Intense came out first and was followed by the original, and the original was named Dior Homme Lipstick,or something similar, people would talk about it as a real pice of art, the Intense version is not art, it just rips off chocolate, and turns it into a clear substance you can smear over yourself without looking like you have had an accident. The original wins for its genius, the Intense is like the Royal Philharmonic playing Beatles covers, the original like The actual Beatles lps, as and when they were released.

    Though completely different, a bit like Egoiste and Platinum, the genius of the original Egoiste, the thing you cant put your finger on, the ellusive, the magic in the original Egoiste is the ingredient that i can spot in the original, stick to the original whenever possible.

    though it has to be said, the intense lasts longer, and women love chocolate, so there ya go...!!??

Similar Threads

  1. An Intense Battle - Rive Gauche Intense vs Dior Homme Intense
    By manicboy in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 20th October 2012, 03:24 PM
  2. Dior Homme, Dior Homme Sport, Dior Homme Intense
    By b0n3z in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 21st February 2012, 04:54 PM
  3. Dior Homme VS Dior Homme Intense - Worth the extra $?
    By Pipsta in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 20th January 2011, 09:48 AM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10th October 2010, 12:24 AM
  5. Christian Dior homme vs Dior homme Intense Prafume?
    By Duke Freedom in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12th November 2009, 03:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •