Code of Conduct

Default How do you store your decants?

I'm looking for a better way to store my nearly 150 decants. They range in sizes from 5ml to 30ml. I have them in a cupboard now which isn't a great idea because it's hard to reach for the ones in the back and I often end up knocking some over as I look around (eeeeek!).

One friend suggested placing them in some sort of tackle box, but that would involve lying them down and some atomizers leak over time that way.

I'm wondering how people are storing their decants. I really need a better system here!

Many thanks for sharing :-)
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Default Re: How do you store your decants?

Hi there! Happy Saturday

I store all my fragrances in
    a wine cooler at approx. 50 degrees F.
    Hope this helps.

Blog Entries

My husband and I store our samples and decants by sticking them upright into in a box filled with poly pellets (bean bag filler, which can be bought at craft supplies stores like Michaels, or on eBay.) If you don't want to buy poly pellets any granular filler will do-- rice, etc.

This method has several advantages:
    1. You can use any box at all-- whatever fits your storage space, personal taste and budget. I've settled into using rectangular bamboo boxes sold in the housewares section for storage of cutlery. ($4.99 at Marshall's.) These go in my dresser. If you are going to be storing them on top of a dresser you may want to get a box that has a lid.
    2. The pellets accomodate varying sizes and shapes of vials and bottles.
    3. You can organize the decants with dividers (nothing fancy needed; cardboard or even paper works fine)

Here is my thread on the topic:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/216...ore-samples-)?

Dont' the little decants or skinnier sized ones fall over when you reach in the back?
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    My husband and I store our samples and decants by sticking them upright into in a box filled with poly pellets (bean bag filler, which can be bought at craft supplies stores like Michaels, or on eBay.) If you don't want to buy poly pellets any granular filler will do-- rice, etc.

This method has several advantages:
    1. You can use any box at all-- whatever fits your storage space, personal taste and budget. I've settled into using rectangular bamboo boxes sold in the housewares section for storage of cutlery. ($4.99 at Marshall's.) These go in my dresser. If you are going to be storing them on top of a dresser you may want to get a box that has a lid.
    2. The pellets accomodate varying sizes and shapes of vials and bottles.
    3. You can organize the decants with dividers (nothing fancy needed; cardboard or even paper works fine)

Here is my thread on the topic:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/216...ore-samples-)?
    Excellent idea! Thank you so much! My plan is to store them by house. You're brilliant!

Thanks, 30 Roses. This is perfect! Brilliant!

Coughs. I keep my in my underwear drawers. It can take some time rumaging looking for a particular one sometimes. LOL
    DONNA

I keep mine in a couple of ziplock bags in a closet. Probably not the best method, but I haven't had any problems with leaking so far.

Donna- Surely your knickers don't need even more MKK?

Tsk!
    Reformulation without information is fraud. Call the police.

Blog Entries

These are stacked on top of samples that haven't yet
    been filed in my sample storage (alphabetically).

I get these leather boxes at TJMax or Hobby Lobby.
    You could even get fancy & put alphabet cards in with your decants in a silverware box like this:

Last edited by kumquat; 18th September 2010 at 07:38 PM.

Very interesting idea, Kumquat....someone suggested that the rice method might attract little buggies, hadn't initially thought of that. I might try and find a little box like yours ;-)

Forgot who it was who has a nice setup with ribbon woven across the top... that would work well in combination with the pellets and would help the vials stand upright. (who was it... Quarry maybe?)
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

I store mine in one of those jewelry storage bags that has many pockets that hangs in a closet. It works great because then I can see the name of the decant. I usually store them by house too. I think I got mine at TJMaxx or something.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lovethescents View Post
    ... the rice method might attract little buggies.
    Eew! We definately don't want that!

Basenotes Plus

I store mine in a beautiful black Guerlain box I received a set of perfume in. It's just the right depth, added some dividers so they all stand upright and it's perfect.
    Let us share each precious moment and enjoy the ones we love for each day is a new beginning and a blessing from above.

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Donna- Surely your knickers don't need even more MKK?

Tsk!
    Teehee. (I am SO juvenile.)

Originally posted by Luvthat: I store mine in one of those jewelry storage bags that has many pockets that hangs in a closet. It works great because then I can see the name of the decant. I usually store them by house too. I think I got mine at TJMaxx or something.
    I like that idea... and think I'm going to borrow it!
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by luvthat View Post
    I store mine in one of those jewelry storage bags that has many pockets that hangs in a closet. It works great because then I can see the name of the decant. I usually store them by house too. I think I got mine at TJMaxx or something.
    I have also re-purposed hanging jewelry and lingerie bags /rolls for storing samples and mini's. I have several I acquired years ago at thrift stores. They used to practically give them away. I did notice some nice new ones on sale recently at TJ's for about $15. If you sew, there are patterns available, as well. The smaller ones are nice because you can roll it, put in a ziploc bag, stuff in your suitcase, and voila, decants to go!

My problem is organizing the full bottles. Everything falls over when opening or closing drawers and my house was built in 1926- no closets.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home