Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Cologne Pour le Matin by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

I wore a sample of this today, for the 1st time. I couldn't find a thread devoted to the discussion of just this fragrance, in the Search function, so I decided to start a thread.

I love eaux cologne fragrances, and I find it infinitely exciting to explore all of the different shades, textures and depths that they offer. There are, of course, those eaux colognes that just smell horribly dated and 'musty' but generally most that I have tried I equate with refreshment and uplifting of the spirit.

The other two Maison Francis Kurkdjian fragrances I have smelled (Cologne Pour le Soir and APOM Pour Homme), I really tried to like, but ultimately I could not enjoy them. But Cologne Pour le Matin is a refreshing treat.

Cologne Pour le Matin instantly smells muted and a bit...chalky to me...as if the top notes are filtered through a grainy camera lens. There is the obligatory citrus and florals but neither of them dominate. The overall effect is one constant linear accord that honestly reminds me of tart sour candies (Smarties). Mind you, this is not a bad thing - I love those candies.

Once the fragrance heats up it looses some of the whiff-of-soap-bubbles that I associate with household cleaning and deodorizing products (which I find a bit annoying) it rests on a honeyed, dusky and resinous base. Is that oppoponax or some sort of resin I get flashes of here and there? Not sure (maybe it's the musk?) but I am reminded of some powdery masculines that smell barbershop-esque and exude a just-showered feeling.

I feel this has a place for many eaux cologne lovers who perhaps fell in love with the fantastic (and discontinued) Institut Tres Bien line of colognes. I also imagine this would make a great summer vacation scent, for the whole family. I wish I had a larger sample so I could really dump it on and see how long it lasts - but even from my 1 ml glass vial sample (that I decanted into a plastic atomizer to apply) 4-5 sprays to my chest are clearly noticeable.

Anyone else care to comment on their experiences with this scent?

Default Re: Cologne Pour le Matin by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Its great isnt it , Ive tried it a few times now and find it a great lavender citrus cologne with amazing longevity . Theres definatly something resinousy going on in the base , dont have a clue what it is other than its great .

The store had the absolute this week too but no testers were out , Im hoping to go back and try it next week ... Im excited to go try it out next week should I say . I just love the whole Francis Kurkdijan shebang

I tried Cologne Pour Le Matin and was expecting a much more interesting scent.
    Much better than the Chanel Exclusif edc, though.
    Of the recent Eaux De Cologne scents, the Nicolai Cologne Sologne has been the best, imo.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Its great isnt it , Ive tried it a few times now and find it a great lavender citrus cologne with amazing longevity . Theres definatly something resinousy going on in the base , dont have a clue what it is other than its great .

The store had the absolute this week too but no testers were out , Im hoping to go back and try it next week ... Im excited to go try it out next week should I say . I just love the whole Francis Kurkdijan shebang
    Is the Absolue a whole new scent, or a flanker of an existing scent?

I also own the bubbles that they sell, it was a Xmas gift. It's the Grass scented one and it smells fantastic and it's a lot of fun to fill the room with bubbles especially when my cousins kids are over our house.

As far as I know the absolute is an EDP concentration of the cologne . From what I hear its practically a completely different kettle of fish , hopefully I will find out very soon

The bubbles are a fun idea other than the ú15 price tag on them !!!!

The Neiman Marcus in Chicago has testers of Absolu Soir and Absolu Matin out, and the SA stated that they are more concentrated/EDP versions of the colognes. I tested both on paper, and I gotta admit -- you brought a smile to my face when you mentioned Smarties. That is EXACTLY what I got from Matin. Drydown was certainly nice, but just a touch too feminine for my tastes.

Absolu Soir, on the other hand, was very heavy on the incense once it settled down. And not in a "pleasant-wafting-through-the-air" way either; more along the lines of opening up a big ol' box of incense cones and taking a big whiff. Not my particular cup of tea, but incense fans should check it out.

Both blotters were going (very) strong well into the next day, so longevity on these Absolus seems great.

Personally, however, APOM Homme is the MFK I will plunk down the cash for.

I have a sample of this on today. The lemon is instantly recognizable at the opening. However, there is an old lady vibe/smell about this fragrance that I cant shake off. I've had it on 2 hours now and it's still there. It reminds me of Bulgari Pour Homme which also has a similar vibe. It may well be the same note.

Not a fan of this so far and I heard so many great things. I'll persevere.

For me the closest association is Prada Infusion d'Homme, which I own - this association has already been made by others, too.
    I have a sample of Matin, given by the kind SA lady in the Maison Kurkdjian, I'm still experimenting with it. Matin is actually a smoother version of Prada, I'll see how longevities compare. What I already can see is that the projection of Prada is stronger.

I agree there is a similarity between between prada and MFK. I tested one on each arm and found that the Prada smells more synthetic. Therefore, I own absolue pour le matin.

Wish all of his men's offerings came in 100ml sizes or greater like this one.

I agree there is a similarity between between prada and MFK. I tested one on each arm and found that the Prada smells more synthetic. Therefore, I own absolue pour le matin.
    I own the Prada because MFK's fragrance did not exist at the time. I was sent generous samples of APLM and CPLM and would agree with your sentiment. APLM is one of my two purchases scheduled for the summer 2011 season. I just love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl J. View Post
    I own the Prada because MFK's fragrance did not exist at the time. I was sent generous samples of APLM and CPLM and would agree with your sentiment. APLM is one of my two purchases scheduled for the summer 2011 season. I just love it.
    I retried to wear the Prada today,....MFK is superior in quality.

...and I now own APLM. Prada is excellent, but MFK rises far above IMHO too.

I agree both the Absolute versions (APLS, APLM) are different animals from their cologne counterparts (CPLM, CPLS). Not a simple question of EDT and EDP concertrations but a complete set of different notes. Both Absolutes fall into the realm of "masterpiece" for me.

Quote Originally Posted by kccparis View Post
    I agree both the Absolute versions (APLS, APLM) are different animals from their cologne counterparts (CPLM, CPLS). Not a simple question of EDT and EDP concertrations but a complete set of different notes. Both Absolutes fall into the realm of "masterpiece" for me.
    Fully agree. Absolute pour le Matin has got a stonger violet note, while the Cologne pour le Matin has a more prominent herbal/thyme note. Both fragrances are outstanding. The Absolute pour le Soir has got a more civet-type note, very sensual and quite feminine, while the Cologne pour le soir is more on unisex ground and is heavy on honey and amber. Among the two, i'd go for the Cologne, and again, two brilliant scents.
    └ l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

I realy like Cologne Pour Le Matin , right now I own only a sample , but it is on my wish list. Great scent , clean , easy to wear , a bit soapy, fresh.... best for spring and summer, for me this is a day time scent, office tipe . EDP is much more powdery and soapy , I swear it is so similar with Prada Infusion that on distance i coould not tell the difference between them. Soir is hony , nice one, but not so much for me. APOM is one for those who like Amouage Reflectioon ( I'm that one ) , truly great scent, love it.

Cologne pour le Matin really has a very similar smell to the some of the Nivea products, particularly a couple of the deodorants -- of course a bit more complex, but the association for me is unshakably deo products!

Quote Originally Posted by Igorbg View Post
    I realy like Cologne Pour Le Matin , right now I own only a sample , but it is on my wish list. Great scent , clean , easy to wear , a bit soapy, fresh.... best for spring and summer, for me this is a day time scent, office tipe . EDP is much more powdery and soapy , I swear it is so similar with Prada Infusion that on distance i coould not tell the difference between them. Soir is hony , nice one, but not so much for me. APOM is one for those who like Amouage Reflectioon ( I'm that one ) , truly great scent, love it.
    ---I like it's versatility!