Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hermesessence favorite

I just received samples of the 8 Hermesessence fragrances by Hermes. I'm wearing the Vanille Galante right now and so far I really like it. Which one do you think is full bottle worthy?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hermesessence favorite

Hmmm, well I think they're all overpriced frankly. But if price is no consideration, the only one I really liked was the Ambre Narguile. But generally speaking there are better versions of most of the line out there already. Just my $0.02.
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Post Thanks / Like

In agreement with the previous poster -- every single word.
    Ambre Narguile is the favorite.
    The longevity vs price correlation is not that good.
    Right now there are better choices available.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

For the vanille and the ambre what would be your other choices? Brand wise?

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    Hmmm, well I think they're all overpriced frankly. But if price is no consideration, the only one I really liked was the Ambre Narguile. But generally speaking there are better versions of most of the line out there already. Just my $0.02.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    In agreement with the previous poster -- every single word.
    Ambre Narguile is the favorite.
    The longevity vs price correlation is not that good.
    Right now there are better choices available.
    I agree also.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

I love Ambre Narguile, Osmanthe Yunnan, and Poivre S (I can't spell the full name ) I also like the licorice one, but I don't think I would buy a full bottle, same with Vanille Galante.

I have never bought a large full bottle, but I have bought two travel size Ambre Narguile, the Osmanthe and Vanille. Although there are many beautiful amber based fragrances (Ambre Rousse, Ambre Fetiche, etc.) I don't know anythng that could be a good replacement to Ambre Narguile. It is one of my favorite perfumes of all times. The Osmanthe is beautiful, but short lived. I prefer Osmanthus Interdite by Parfums d'Empire.

I know it is a favorite of many, but Vetyver Tonka is not good on my skin. I have never tried Paprika Brazil and Rose Ikebana. Next time I am around a Hermes boutique I will sample those two
    Last edited by arwen_elf; 19th September 2010 at 07:16 PM.
    Evenstar

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

My fave is not a very popular one I think but I love Paprika Brasil and then Poivre Samarcande .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Post Thanks / Like

Osmanthe Yunnan. I have gone through 2 travel sized bottles and half of the large bottle. I love this fragrance.
    Variety is the soul of pleasure. ~Aphra Behn

Post Thanks / Like

I love Ambre Narguile. It's my favorite one. A cozy scent that smell like something delicious is coming out the oven...

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    Twolf? Master-Classter? Where you at? I am also interested in alternative choices, especially for Ambre Narguile.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I really appreciate it!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    If you`re looking for a delicious and adult vanilla frag, i recommend you Note Vanille from M. Micallef. It`s one of the best in my opinion

Post Thanks / Like

I am not an amber fan, but I do think Ambre Narguile is a very good fragrance, especially with that beautiful apple note that I think distinguishes it from other amber-based fragrances.

However, two fragrances that are much better priced and in my opinion of equal quality, are Prada (the original one) and Chanel Coromandel. BTW - In case you didn't know, 4 of the Chanel les exclusifs have just been released in a 100 mL size for $110, and Coromandel is one of them. At this price, they are perhaps the best priced vs. quality perfumes I can think of!

I also love Vanille Galante and feel that there is nothing else quite like it on the market, so I think it's worth the price. I'm so-so about the other Hermesessences - wow, that's a lot of esses
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Post Thanks / Like

Vanille Galante, of which I have managed to blag a couple of 4ml samples in Hermes stores, so I don't need to fork out for a FB any time soon!
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

I adore Osmanthe Yunnan (though I wish it lasted longer and had more sillage); also Ambre Narguilé and Vetiver tonka. I haven't had a chance to try them all, but I"m sure I'll be hooked on a few more soon enough.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 21st September 2010 at 11:45 AM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    If you`re looking for a delicious and adult vanilla frag, i recommend you Note Vanille from M. Micallef.
    Vanille Galante isn't a traditional vanilla scent. It's a very delicate floral with lilly as a main player which is backed by a thin hint of vanilla. That's what makes it so intriguing - or not. But a gourmand vanilla is no alternative to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lorag View Post
    Vanille Galante isn't a traditional vanilla scent. It's a very delicate floral with lilly as a main player which is backed by a thin hint of vanilla. That's what makes it so intriguing - or not. But a gourmand vanilla is no alternative to me.
    Well, the suggestion was to the person who created the topic...

Post Thanks / Like

Ambre Narguile is great , but my real favourite is Rose Ikebana ! I know that it is not popular but I like rose fragrances and this is light and ethereal , enough for a guy to wear . Really love the watery freshness and it has great longevity on me , a perfect summer scent !

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I love Paprika Brasil and very nearly bought a bottle from the boutique but I just could not bear to shell out the 200 + bucks for what seems like a helluva lot of Iso E Super in the dry down .Though I do actually love this scent very much . No doubt I will take the plunge one day. For me, the change from the peppery start to a transparent Iris heart was marvellous and longevity is good- lasted after a good shower though it became a skin scent after my shower. I was impressed. Poivre Samarcande was dry,hot ,spicey and exotic.
    Vanille Galante is a gorgeous scent too .

I did like Vetiver Tonka, Rose Ikebana, Osmanthe Yunan and Brin de Reglisse. However, I don't find any of them full bottle worthy. There are better alternatives for each of them IMO.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh yes, Vetiver Tonka - another lovely Hermessence I liked. Actually, they are all pretty damned good and I am not a great fan of Jean Claude Ellena myself.
    There is another one coming out in November as per www.perfumeshrine.com called Iris Ukiyoe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Oh yes, Vetiver Tonka - another lovely Hermessence I liked. Actually, they are all pretty damned good and I am not a great fan of Jean Claude Ellena myself.
    There is another one coming out in November as per www.perfumeshrine.com called Iris Ukiyoe.
    Thanks for posting the link, Mimi... I was trying to get any info on this one, and google was turning up nothing! I love the name... & I love iris...

Post Thanks / Like

Vetiver Tonka and Ambre Narguile

Honorable mention:
    Poivre Samarcande
    Osmanthe Yunnan

Post Thanks / Like

I think Osmanthe Yunnan is beautiful and quite unique - I have bought this as a gift for two female friends.

There are other Osmanthus scents, of course, (not least TDC Osmanthus, which reads like JCE's first study for this one) but none that marry Osmanthus with a milky tea quality like this . . . that I'm aware of, anyway. It doesn't last long but then if you want something longer lasting the trade off will be losing the lightness and airy sparkle that this one offers.

Vanille Galante is also great, IMO - it doesn't use the usual vanillin you'll find in a lot of vanilla scents. If you want the more foody vanilla there's Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille and others - denser and more gourmand.

And then there's Vetiver Tonka (this is the one I wear, hence full bottle worthy for me). I think it's a great take on vetiver - more of a smooth comfort scent.

Just add one more - maybe Ambre Narguiile - and you have a 4 x 15ml Hermes pack, which is a great way to narrow down options further before springing for a 100ml - that's how I got to spend some quality time with this line.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 24th September 2010 at 09:51 AM.

I agree with some of the others who have commented -- I really like this line but they don't compel me to spend $200+ dollars on a bottle. But I've picked up a partial bottle of Osmanthe Yunnan and enjoy it a lot in the summer -- it needs to be sprayed incredibly liberally though. I also like the smell of Vetiver Tonka, Poivre Samarcande, and Brin de Reglisse. Vanille Galante is an outstanding fragrance, but for some reason the saltiness of it occasionally seems briny or fish-like to me. I'm hoping I'll get over that association.

Ambre Narguile and Vetyver Tonka.

My favorite is Osmanthe Yunnan.

Post Thanks / Like

I just tried some of the line last weekend. Of the ones I tried I liked Ambre Narguile the best followed by Vetiver Tonka.

Post Thanks / Like

Ambre Narguile. Vetiver Tonka was nice too, but I generally wasn't wowed by the line as a whole...

Ambre Narguile seems the most popular. It is rather viscous, with strong cinnamon subtle tobacco notes. It feels gourmand on me.

My most favorite is Rose Ikebana. It is fresh, tart, and juicy--perfect for summer!

I tried the others, and I liked Vetiver Tonka as a concept, but on my skin it developed in a boring, linear manner. I gifted to someone whose skin chemistry brings out the hasenut notes.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I like almost all of them except for Vanille Galante and Rose Ikebana.

Rose Ikebana is my fave! A seamless, light and beautiful rose. It was love at first sniff.