Code of Conduct

Thread: Today I Tried

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Today I Tried

At Saks in San Francisco, I tried the Cartier series Les Heures.

There will be thirteen, but so far only five are out: One, Four, Ten, Twelve, and Thirteen.

One is basically a suede scent, reminiscent of a new pair of gloves; Four (the cocktail hour) smells like a martini made with fresh basil; Ten is supposed to be seductive, but is actually very fresh and upbeat and kind of cologne-y; Twelve is rich, smooth, and chypré, with jasmine, incense, patchouli, and labdanum; Thirteen is a heavy leather with (to my nose) too much of the birch-tar smell of the tannery. The most promising for me is Twelve; the SA kindly gave me a sample, which is wearing beautifully on the back of my right hand as I write.

Sorry, I must be getting dyslexic; I originally posted Six for Four. Easy to confuse in Roman numerals VI for IV.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 20th September 2010 at 05:39 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Default Re: Today I Tried

Jamie, is this Cartier's answer to Chanel's Les Exclusifs?

Sur la Plage

The local Cartier rep at Saks told me 3 more are due to be released before the holidays.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jason_newton View Post
    Jamie, is this Cartier's answer to Chanel's Les Exclusifs?
    Golly, I have no idea if Cartier thinks these are in direct competition with the Exclusifs de Chanel series, but I guess that's possible. Of course, Chanel began the Exclusifs by (re-)releasing EdT versions of some of their most famous perfumes, such as Cuir de Russie and Bois des Îles, and later, No. 22; and I think the newer ones were conceived to try to be in the classic early Chanel style, but updated a bit to meet modern tastes about half-way. The ostensible motif of the Cartier Les Heures series is to capture the spirit of various times of day, around-the-clock, as it were. I thought One and Twelve were the best, with Four a distant third. Thirteen I thought too strong on birch tar, and Ten just too bright for an evening scent. But what do I know? These are just my opinions. I am glad there will be three more to sniff before the end of the year!

Oh, and by the way, my name is Jaime (that's Spanish) and not Jamie. I hope you'll keep that in mind. Thanks!
    Last edited by JaimeB; 19th September 2010 at 06:29 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Smile Re: Today I Tried

Ah, sorry about that. I should read a little more carefully.

Jaime - oh my! I have been mispelling your name for years. Sorry.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Thanks for the brief intros to these, Jaime! I love suede, chypre & yes, birch tar scents. So I figure I, XII & XIII would interest me. And I don't know why but I also LOVE Roman numerals! LOL.

Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche. Loved it! Got right into my buying list.

Yesterday I tried TF Tobacco Vanille, Bois Morcain, Neroli Portofino. All fantastic in my books. I thought all 3 were out of this world scent wise. I was really drawn to the Neroli though, if I was able to choose I think I would go with this one. Just cant afford this line right now. All 3 are on my wishlist. When it comes down to it I think I would purchase the Neroli even though the TF TV is outstanding

Papyrus de Ciane. Old school green. I swear it's a cheaper alternative to Creed Windsor. Minus the rose, but they both come close.

Gaiac 10 smells like a mix between Kyoto & Calamus, a really stripped down combination of both. Very CdG.

Poivre 23 opens with olives and pencil shavings then dries down to something sweet. It looks like it has pretty good longevity/sillage.

Sublime Vanille smells like a vanilla & lemon pledge combination, very light and watery.

Classic Male Grooming Eau de Toilette by Scottish Fine Soaps

Very gentlemanly in a conservative manner, almost a "barbershop chypre", however not in a dated, stuffy or tasteless manner, I have also started a thread on this topic, should further details about this frag be of interest