Code of Conduct

Default something amazing is going on

i recently got the ambergris bug and got a selection for fun and am also starting out in perfume making. starting yesterday i can conjure up the indivdual fragrances without smelling the ambergris itself. its not like i can breath in the smell but, rather when im thinking of lets say, my chunk of sweet black ambergris. i can catch a quik fleeting glimpse of the fragrance in my head. i then started thinking of my cologne and bam for just a quik moment i can imagine it and smell it, without having it on or nearby. im sure you all know what i mean but its a cool exp for me. thought id share.

is there a word or, term for this ability?
    "Strive for perfection in everything, take the best that exists and make it better, if it doesn't exist create it, accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Royce

Default Re: something amazing is going on

I think I've seen it referred to as scent memory. I've had it happen to me with Muscs Koublai Khan, a very intense musk fragrance from Serge Lutens. A strange but not unpleasant experience.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

I've been able to imagine a frag with a few different notes. It's something I really have to focus on though, and it takes a little time to do.

with more classes done ive learned the term is called 'discerning'. ive heard it before, for exapmle: he had a discerning nose and could tell the soup needed more oregno. its deff a great exp and keeps getting better. i can pick out certain scents in the perfumes and colognes of others as i walk by.
    "Strive for perfection in everything, take the best that exists and make it better, if it doesn't exist create it, accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Royce