Code of Conduct

Default Question About My Chanel Pour Monsieur Purchase

Hey Basenoters,

After hearing so much from everyone on here about the original (non-concentree) version of Chanel Pour Monsieur, I have been trying to track down a bottle. The other day, in a small perfume shop, I found this used bottle, about 90% full, no cap. I paid $50.00 for it, but I'm not sure what exactly I bought! I've attached a couple photos. My questions are: is this considered a "vintage" bottle? Can anyone estimate the the year it was made? Did I pay too much?

Thanks! I know we have many PM pros on here and I appreciate any input.

Default Re: Question About My Chanel Pour Monsieur Purchase

I did a lot of hunting for this awhile back. I can't say if it's vintage, but it's certainly not the "concentre" version. There's a store near me that has 3 different bottle types of the non-concentre version, each slightly different. Very confusing to me.

That I can tell Mike, Chanel still makes the non-concentre version, but it's only sold in Europe. It can be "dug up" from time to time in small perfume stores, cologne carts, etc. Some online vendors likely sell it too, but so many vendors/SAs do not make the distiinction between this and the concentre version, I never really trust them, even if they show the squared bottle on their website.

I wouldn't worry about what you paid. That's a good price for Chanel Pour Monsieur. The perfume store near me that carries it sells for like $90 knowing that it's hard to find (though they will haggle on price a bit).

Hope someone really familiar weighs in.

I'd personally love to know why this version isn't sold in US anymore. Last round of PM threads related to this, I seem to recall the conclusion was this version is still sold in Europe.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 19th September 2010 at 07:04 PM.

Thanks, Stylin! I feel like I'm on Antiques Roadshow!

I'm no expert, but I don't think it's antique...just hard to find in US. Below is the link to the French version of the Chanel website. But I see the writing on the current EdT is now white.

http://www.chanel.com/fr_FR/parfums-...Monsieur-90104

Good luck with it. The knock I've heard on it is though it is classic and heavenly, it is a very fleeting scent.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I did a lot of hunting for this awhile back. I can't say if it's vintage, but it's certainly not the "concentre" version. There's a store near me that has 3 different bottle types of the non-concentre version, each slightly different. Very confusing to me.

That I can tell Mike, Chanel still makes the non-concentre version, but it's only sold in Europe.....
    Actually, it can be found quite easily up here StylinLA. Department stores ( The Bay/Sears), small private shops and drug store chains all carry it.

The concentree one is hard to find in tester form, although a few private shops carry it ( but no tester to try it).
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Actually, it can be found quite easily up here StylinLA. Department stores ( The Bay/Sears), small private shops and drug store chains all carry it.

The concentree one is hard to find in tester form, although a few private shops carry it ( but no tester to try it).
    Interesting. If I pick Canada on the Chanel site, it shows up there too. But not in US.

Still no clue why never available in US through conventional stores. Even the Chanel boutique in Beverly Hills does not have it.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 19th September 2010 at 10:10 PM.

I get mine at Duty Free Americas when I travel. I bought a couple of bottles from the DFA store at the McNamara terminal at Detroit Metro airport (DTW).
    http://www.dutyfreeamericas.com/retail_locations.cfm

I understand this is readily available in Europe, but I don't find it easily in the USA. It's worth searching for.

Now, the picture in this thread looks like older juice, and if it has been well preserved it is probably even better than the current formulation. Today's juice is pale green, and it smells fantastic. If the older stuff is better -- as has been alleged on this board -- you are in for a treat.

If you really wanted it that badly, the price you paid is NOT too much.

You did not pay too much, especially for a vintage version