Code of Conduct

Default Help Me Find My Office Scent

I have really been looking to find a nice, primarily daytime scent for the office. I am really new to the world of fragrances but I have tried quite a few (many Creeds, blenheim bouquet, Eau Savage, allure Homme, and others). Right now, I primarily wear GIT or MI (though the latter seems to have some sort of musk or something on the drydown that i dont like that much) in the office.

here is basically what i am looking for:

- something bright/fresh (but not something that gets too sweet or floral - this was my issue with most of the Creeds that I tried. After about an hour or two, they all seemed to settle down into this floral/powdery scent that i did not like)

- something that is formal enough to go with suit and tie

- something that has elements of classicism and yet is still modern and fairly young (i am in my mid-30s)

- something that does not get too woody, spicy, or leathery on the drydown

- my overall appearance is fairly 'sharp' or crisp - my tailoring is on the fitted side, i have an energetic, brash personality - and I guess i am really looking for the same in my cologne

- oh, and perhaps an impossible request - but maybe something not so common as to remind someone of the department store cologne section I would expect that recommendations would be of fairly popular scents (and i am ok with that) but dont want to smell cheap or reminiscent of the department store

soooooo...does anything exist that fits the bill well??? what should i give a shot?

thanks all!

Default Re: Help Me Find My Office Scent

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree. A very good office scent.

Parfums De Nicolai's New York, or maybe Paco Rabanne pH.

If the budget allows, check out Amouage Opus II. $325US/bottle. Sample first. Creed Acier Aluminum may be an alternative since GIT and MI seem to be within your budget parameters. Until I hit the words ''brash'' Amouage Reflection Man was fitting too. It's decidedly unbrash.

I'll agree with Paco Rabanne pH. It's hugely retro which is great and not all that common. It's fragrance smells well north of it's price. A retro-80's scent that's just back on the market is Giorgio Beverly Hills Giorgio.

Best to you in your search.

hugo boss pure but what i think are perfect office scents are armani attitude extreme and also chanel allure homme edition blanche
    but in the end it`s your choice if you have a major perfume store like nordstroms or the bay or macy`s just ask one of the people that work in the fragrance department which scent would suitable for an office job because you don`t want to be wearing some like le male or angel men to work because that is gonna give people a headache

Guerlain Homme
    Bond No. 9 Riverside Drive
    Armani Eau pour Homme
    Last edited by rmlj; 20th September 2010 at 01:29 AM.

Gucci PH2 is light, inoffensive, and very pleasant. longevity is spotty though i hear.

Penhaligon's LPNo9 for Him, or Opus 1870.

YSL Pour Homme - Easily found for $30 online. Happy, classy, lemon herbal experience.
    Last edited by adonis; 20th September 2010 at 03:02 AM.

Blog Entries

Definitely check out Gendarme. I'd second Allure Edition Blanche and Paco Rabanne. I'm not sure which Creeds you've tried, but if you haven't checked out Erolfa, you should. Some others to look into: Viktor & Rolf Antidote, Versace Pour Homme, Chanel Platinum Egoiste, Terre d'Hermes, L'Instant de Guerlain, and Bleu de Chanel.

Roger & Gallet Vetyver
    Le 3e Homme
    Versace L'Homme
    Bowling Green

Gucci PH II is a good recommendation, as well as Rive gauche
    possibly gucci by gucci as well (black bottle).
    Bulgari Pour homme series is excellent, i love the extreme version personally but i use that more as a casual wear since on my skin i get a lot of grapefruit which the girls like ^ ^

M; Men.

lhomme or mugler cologne

Frankly, GIT sounds perfect for you. But we all like choice, so

**Versace L'Homme (applied with restraint)
    ***YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme
    **Amouage Dia Man
    ****Penhaligons Racquets
    **L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme
    ***Creed Original Vetiver

It's great that you seem to know exactly what you want out of your 'office scent'.

May I suggest these:

Chanel Sycomore -- 'cool & aloof but sharp' vetiver
    Dunhill Edition -- 'old school formal' edc
    Domenico Caraceni Ivy League -- 'preppy' clean green floral

Or stretch the budget for Xerjoff Nio -- subtle yet classic Mediterranean citrus & woods

Considering you don't want something leathery, very spicy or strongly woody, that leaves two categories, florals and fresh. Maybe gourmands but I highly doubt many people would consider gourmands professional. I recommend:

bois du portugal by creed
    Chanel Egoiste
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Frederic Malle Graneium Pour Monsieur (very minty and energetic, but pricy)
    Amouage Epic (ok maybe a little too woody/animalic and expensive, but it's a great professional fragrance)

I'm not into aquatics and fresh fragrances, but that seems to be what you're looking for. And Creed seems to be the house to look into if that's the type of fragrance you'd like, e.g. something not worn by many, expensive enough to smell professional, yet not very "risky" or complex.

Don't look any further, Vetiver extraordinaire is exactly what you are looking for.

Somewhat formal, classic yet modern, not too woody, spicy or leathery, sharp and crisp, and energetic?

I'll recommend:

Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle French Lover / Bois d'Orage

or

Creed Baie de Genievre

Aside from the ones mentioned above, since you like Creed, try Himalaya.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Yep, this one! -It`s the opposite of "cheap"

I think Bulgaris are good for office wear, you can try pour homme, extreme and aqua. Or you can try a light application of Terre D'Hermes

Essenza di Zegna

The ultimate office scent to me is Boucheron PH, especially the EDP. This s pure class in a bottle and projects professionalism and class without being stuffy or overbearing.

L'Homme
    Bleu de Chanel (but I heard blue seduction is pretty much the same but cheaper; can anyone elaborate on this as I am very curious)
    Gucci Pour Homme II

Guerlain Homme

Hugh Parsons Blue!
    "Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each!" - Henry David Thoreau

guys, thanks A LOT for the excellent recommendations - i at least feel like i can have some direction again when trying/testing scents...walking into the store with shelves upon shelves is fairly daunting!

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    a couple recommendations for this one - i assume the 'concentree' is different and not quite as readily available as the PM? what is the difference? just an extreme (or concentrated) version of the same underlying scent or is it totally different? Am wondering if I can not find the Concentree in stores, if the 'regular' would give me an indication of the fragrance?

Terre d┤Hermes
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    Penhaligon's LPNo9 for Him, or Opus 1870.

interesting - i am fooling around today with my first penhaligon extended wear, blenheim bouquet. heard it was such a classic scent and had some of the qualities i was looking for. so far so good, quite pine-ey. i like the overall 'edge' that it seems to have - that british aristocrat type vibe...but im not a huge fan of pine either

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel Golfer View Post
    Definitely check out Gendarme. I'd second Allure Edition Blanche and Paco Rabanne. I'm not sure which Creeds you've tried, but if you haven't checked out Erolfa, you should. Some others to look into: Viktor & Rolf Antidote, Versace Pour Homme, Chanel Platinum Egoiste, Terre d'Hermes, L'Instant de Guerlain, and Bleu de Chanel.
    any comparisons to allure homme and allure edition blanche? ive tried allure and allure sport in the past. they were ok but felt they got a little creamy or powdery if that makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by StewartGallacher View Post
    interesting - i REALLY like Trumpers Extract of Limes but the damn stuff lasts about 20 mins...what a blast though...is the longevity of GFT at least a little better than this

if any one has some general thoughts on the following that i have heard good things about and whether it might fit in with what i am trying to do it would be helpful:

- guerlain vetiver
    - creed aventus
    - AdP colonia

Quote Originally Posted by ufboy73 View Post
    if any one has some general thoughts on the following that i have heard good things about and whether it might fit in with what i am trying to do it would be helpful:

- guerlain vetiver
    - creed aventus
    - AdP colonia
    Pretty good options here, I think. I'd pick the ADP Colonia over GV. But I've yet to try the Aventus though I've heard nice things about it.

- guerlain vetiver
    - creed aventus
    - AdP colonia
    Guerlain Vetiver may work well for you. A solid, classic professional scent that has stood the test of time well.

Aventus? My jury is out on that a bit. Women love it on me...but I seem to go blind to it about 3 hours in. It's a fresh, modern scent. Doesn't fit my expectations of a work scent. Not a "clubbing" scent, but seems like it's too new to have a "personality" yet. Feels a bit casual to me right now. I'm sure it could work if you wanted it to, but for me, it doesn't feel like something I would wear with a suit.

I have longevity issues with most AdPs. I'll let someone else comment on that.

As to your other question about Pour Monsieur Concentre; Concentre is the one that iS widely available in US. Sold nearly everywhere. It is quite different from the original. I find it pleasant and rather "barber shopish." Not old fashioned, but probably not as "modern" as you would like. Longevity about 5-6 hours for me. The original is still sold in Europe and can be found with some digging. I've passed on it because masterpiece though it may be, it is legendarily short lived.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 20th September 2010 at 03:14 PM.

Guerlain Vetiver may work well for you.

Bulgari PH almost certainly would. Crisp, clean, confident, contemporary and masculine.

Regards,
    T

My Wardrobe:
    Yves St. Laurent Live Jazz
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

interesting - i REALLY like Trumpers Extract of Limes but the damn stuff lasts about 20 mins...what a blast though...is the longevity of GFT at least a little better than this
    It smells great but it's fleeting in my experience

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    YSL Pour Homme - Easily found for $30 online. Happy, classy, lemon herbal experience.
    Aye, this is always nice at the office. Noticeable, but not like your are trying too hard.

From Your description Aventus from Creed is what I would go with. It has a nice evolution from top to bottom with excellent longevity. Should be good for office and formal wear. It is seems to be very liked by Women as well.

As much as I enjoy the few Amouage scents that I have worn, I would advise against them in the office, as they seem to be a bit strong. God forbid that you are not in a fragrance free zone or have co-workers that are 'sensitive' to certain scents.

YSL Rive Gauche or L'homme are totally fine--- Rive Gauche to me is a good masculine scent and 'smells like you know what you're doing' and L'homme is one of those scents that should just please everyone around you.

But, if you roll like I do, who cares?! Wear whatever you want!

I think Gendarme, Rive Gauche PH and Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta would fit the bill.
    Top 10:
    1. Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta
    2. YSL M7
    3. Tom Ford Bois Marocain
    4. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    5. Dior Homme/Intense
    6. YSL Opium
    7. Azzaro Pour Homme
    8. Frederic Malle's Musc Ravageur
    9. YSL Live Jazz
    10. Burberry London

Quote Originally Posted by vonMises View Post
    Aye, this is always nice at the office. Noticeable, but not like your are trying too hard.
    Another vote for YSL PH....mature, but not old feeling and very classy and pleasant.
    Discount and drug store fragrance trollop. http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=74

Egyptian Patchouli oil. And lots of it.
    That's how you make a statement in the workplace.
    You walk through doors at 7am and its like BAM!- you have arrived and you are a force to be reckoned with.
    And then you wear it the next day, just to let em' know you mean business. Serious business.

I'm sorry, I had a few cocktails. Don't do that

Please try Mugler Cologne. Fresh, soapy, softly musky, slightly green, not at all woody or spicy, timid sillage but incredible (almost spooky) lasting power, just a hint of earthiness and sensuality to keep it from being boring - it's the perfect office scent. Lately I've been craving a similar kind of thought-free, pleasant-smelling "wallpaper scent" that won't knock out everyone around me with its sillage or require too much attention of me, and I've rediscovered the beauty and versatility of Cologne.

CHANEL Pour Monsieur Concentree. This masterpiece can be used for both day and night, and can easily be a mans signature-scent. Very usable, and you will always smell classy and sophisticated.

Cool Re: Help Me Find My Office Scent

- guerlain vetiver
    - creed aventus
    - AdP colonia
    Well, well!

You've gotten some interesting suggestions ---and now you ask about these extremely interesting three!
    Way to go . . .

Alright, before I answer, one question? How much do you love your job?

Seriously, I can't imagine wearing Creed Baie de Genievre unless you're ecstatic with it.

(Himalaya may serve for just happy lust. Ditto Vettiver Extraordinaire, Versace L'Homme and a few others)

As to Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree it put me to sleep (as did Dunhill Edition) which might have had something to do with why I got sacked from that particular job. It's inoffensive and on the elegant side but--why bother when there's AdP colonia? The latter hasn't the greatest longevity but one can re-apply.

I'm told that the original Chanel PM was different and just the bee's knee. Perhaps one day I'll scrounge a sample somewhere. Meanwhile, have any of you elegant-citrus fans tried Iskander? You might be pleasantly surprised.

Like Daimondflame I'm sorry I haven't tried Aventus. Have I missed much?

I believe I began my review of Guerlian Vetiver by writing that it was a sin to wear it to work, unless you loved your job. It's freedom personified.

Now if you want a suit and tie modern scent the appropriately named Richard James (of Richard James Saville Row) is great.

No, it's not too sweet and it " has elements of classicism and yet is still modern and fairly young."

Pity you're not an old fogey or you could also wear Dunhill '34 or Jean Patou PH, but one can't have everything.

Now, if you just like your job. I'd suggest going " Barbershop. " all the way. Adolfo Dominguez Vetiver Hombre or Creed's O.V. The Baron, any good Bay Rum that doesn't choke with cloves, a Pineless Penhaligon's, etc.

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 25th September 2010 at 08:25 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

thanks again guys. I was able to spend some time in the stores over the last week and try quite a few recommendations (on paper, wrists, and testers). You guys must really know your stuff, as there was pretty much not a single example that i just flat out could not wear. That being said, i feel like (though they were pleasant enough) there was always some specific element that prevented me from pulling the trigger. for example:

- Bulgari Pour Homme: started out really well. After about an hour, i started to detect some sort of note (maybe tea or something) that was underneath that started to annoy me a bit. it wasn't 'sweet' but it was something somehow similar to that.

- Gucci Pour Homme II: again, the top was great but there was some sort of licorice or chocolate or some sort of sweet note underneath that felt like it was almost too sensual or something for suit and tie

- YSL Homme: i did like this...but it smelled 'common' somehow (not that it would be a dealbreaker)

- Guerlain Homme: really liked it but it was almost too refined or smooth. certainly would go with suit and tie but not sure it is brash enough for what i am looking for

- Boucheron Homme: this was awesome, but i couldnt help feeling like i should come back to it in about 15 years (which is what i also worry about with AdP, maybe i shouldnt worry about this?)

- Chanel Allure Edition Blanche: there is something vanilla-ey or something that i has turned me off of the allures i have tried in the past. though not as noticeable, i felt like this one also had that note.

- Aventus: it is a very pleasant scent to me in the beginning. the drydown wasnt fantastic (it is a little powdery or something and just didnt last or project well for me)

so, today i think i am going to be able to try the creed OV, Creed Windsor (this is out of the blue but somehow there is a sample testing going on at a local store that the Creed SA let me know about), and some others...

So, with this new data in mind - any continued recommendations?

like i said, many above were great scents but i felt like they either turned sweet/powdery, were a bit too smooth/mature, or were sort of 'typical' cologne smell.

i am starting to wonder if i almost want a bracing, aftershave type scent - what is this 'barbershop' vein people refer to? perhaps that is what is in my head but that i can not articulate?

fountain

one spritz of polo by ralph lauren

Quote Originally Posted by subhuman85 View Post
    Please try Mugler Cologne
    +1 Exactly

My usual office scent is Antidote by Viktor & Rolf: Fresh, unusual and classy. A little synthetic though.

The other office scents I have in my rotation are:
    Grey Flannel
    Santal Noble
    Stella
    Sel de Vetiver
    Bois Blond

Consider Windsor, Creed.

i am starting to wonder if i almost want a bracing, aftershave type scent - what is this 'barbershop' vein people refer to? perhaps that is what is in my head but that i can not articulate?
    Something that reminds folks of "old school" barbershops: Pinaud Clubman talc, Barbasol or Gillette shaving cream, bay rum. Notes like scottish lavender, bay, rosemary, clove, geranium, sandalwood, "soapy" iris or lavender ... A search for barbershop scents turns up fragrances like Rive Gauche, Pinaud Clubman, Jockey Club, Grafton.

MPG Centaure, MPG Garrigue, Racquets Formula, Oxford & Cambridge, Domenico Caraceni 1913, Cartier Pasha, and Royal Scottish Lavender might also be worth revisiting.

I got you EXACTLY wat you are asking for: Richard James Savile Row, it is classic, not intrusive, not cloying, and it will give you an aura of nobility and sophistication.
    It is an outstanding fragrance that I discovered by serependity and has become one of my favorites .
    Notes are: Bergamot, Mandarin, Ginger, Green Tea and Petitgrain. Rosemary, Basil, Cardamon, Coriander, Tuberose, Lily of the Valley, Rose and Lavender. Soft Suede, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Tobacco, Amber, Vetiver, Musk OakMoss.
    The problem is that I do not know where I could get another bottle.

I guess like so many things it depends upon the situation and what you are doing in the office. Im a management consultant and find myself in a variety of situations. If Im pitching a business proposition to a client, I wear Gendarme - there is nothing as effective as smelling clean! If Im working with a client on assignment and simply in their offices I go for something like Ralph Lauren Purple Label or Silver Mountain Water. For a meeting or a presentation I go for something like Cuiron by Helmut Lang or Selection Verte. If its a cold day then I reach for something like Vetiver by Guerlain. Avoid anything too overpowering like A Men or Amouage Gold! The most important thing is to smell like you want to look. Classy but inconspicuous!

have u tried tom ford for men?