Code of Conduct

Default CREED Original Cologne - spring 2011 - speculation....

I am very interested in everyone's speculation, wishes, or thaughts otherwise regarding this upcoming release.

Will "Original Cologne" be a very accessible, mainstream scent like Aventus?
    Will "Original Cologne" be a vintage styled true Eaux with 30 minute longevity?
    What are your thaughts?

Here are mine:

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH from Cairomerta's thread that got locked
    I think the title precludes "Original Cologne" from being a combo of BdC & CB, although it very well may contain strong amounts of their topnotes.

Prior to Cairo making this thread, I was "originally" assuming the upcoming Creed "Cologne" to be a very strong (perhaps even EDP) take on traditional EDC's, styled perhaps like Colonia, Extra Vieille, Pour Le Jeune Homme, only with a much heavier floral/rose component, maybe like a stronger Rose/Tonka drydown like Colonia, but with a fresh and unexpected floral element to it. And of course, since it was a creed, I was expecting the most superior citrus imagineable.

But again, I think the title "Original Cologne", also precludes the above from being the case. I think this will indeed be the 3rd in the "Original" trio, and will have a gradient-glass bottle like Original vetiver & Original Santal.....what color the gradient will be I do not know, perhaps a pale and classy yellow/orange gradient? Perhaps a cleaner or simpler gradient of glass fading into frosted glass/matte glass. i am unsure.

But the title "Original Cologne", in addition to dictating the styling of the packaging in accordance with the existing CREED line, I think it also perhaps hints at the overall character of the composition......being that both OS & OV are long-lasting fragrances built around a central synthetic/long-lasting accord, I think this new Creed may very well do the same with one of the newer "post-regulation" citrus components, or maybe a combo of other long-lasting, low-volatility citrus notes, with many more accessible and perhaps more natural notes flanking that lasting central accord.

I, for one, hope, that if the house has indeed decided to make this a very accessible mainstream release, the re-marketing of the traditional cologne for the 21st century, that they at least use more natural oils than the other "originals", or at least that it's impression is more natural seeming.
    Guess what color the bottle will be ?

Default Re: CREED Original Cologne - spring 2011 - speculation....

I thought Royal Water was Creed's take on a classic eau. I'm guessing it'll be less floral, more like Extra Vieille. There are worse role models.

Blog Entries

Fascinating! Well, I'll speculate, just from the data points we have so far. And as a lover of modern fragrance trends, yet respectful of Creed's traditional aspects, I'm looking forward to this very much.

Aventus, IMO, shows that Creed is successfully making several transitions. From an older and more static lineup to a newer and more fluid one. From things which appeal purely to "retroscentuals" to things which appeal just as much to younger and more modern-thinking customers. From one perfumer approaching retirement to a younger one who has shown that he can handle the job.

I suspect that this will be one more step in the direction of Aventus, in terms of being sensible to modern tastes. I suspect that it will be more significant than a 30-minute traditional cologne, but not so much for "cologne" to be a misnomer.

I wish Creed the best of luck with this scent!

it will be a take on a scent already i think, original vetiver was a take on the 1948 vetiver, original santal was a take on bois de santal.

I think they'll put a rodeo cowboy riding a bucking bronco on the bottle - Aventus like, yet not.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    I think they'll put a rodeo cowboy riding a bucking bronco on the bottle - Aventus like, yet not.
    LMAO

That's it! Original Lonestar Memories!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    LMAO

That's it! Original Lonestar Memories!
    For that cowboy rebellion we all have Original Cologne was inspired by Buffalo Bill who also wore this fragrance that was designed for him.

Top notes of bergamot, lemon and apple
    Middle notes: oakmoss, musk and blackcurrant
    Base notes: Sandalwood, ambergris

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    For that cowboy rebellion we all have Original Cologne was inspired by Buffalo Bill who also wore this fragrance that was designed for him.

*howling with laughter, waking up wife*

Creed rep leans over the counter, whispering... "And it contains Iso E Super, which was first invented by Captain Nemo, especially for Bill!"

Part of me likes Aventus; part of me does not.

I fear it will be magnificent and modern, but short lived.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    *howling with laughter, waking up wife*

Creed rep leans over the counter, whispering... "And it contains Iso E Super, which was first invented by Captain Nemo, especially for Bill!"
    lmao I am happy you enjoyed my ad, i should do this as a profession lmao. i will have to come up with some more.

I think it would have been hilarious if they'd just gone ahead and given the name "Original Cologne" to Original Vetiver... it would have made smoke come out of Thierry Mugler's ears!

The speculation that Original Cologne will be the third in the "original" series, following Original Vetiver and Original Santal is interesting. Of course, there was an 'original' fragrance before either of those two - i.e. the wonderful Chevrefeuille Original.

My prediction: accessible and mainstream.

A related question: will the price structure be lower because it is an edc or will it be consistent with EDT or Millesime pricing.

When Serge Lutens put out his L'Eau, the price per mil is roughly half of his other offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    A related question: will the price structure be lower because it is an edc or will it be consistent with EDT or Millesime pricing.

When Serge Lutens put out his L'Eau, the price per mil is roughly half of his other offerings.
    I'm curious as to this also.
    If it is indeed an EDC, I would expect such.
    But it remains to be seen what the concentration will actually be.

Might not be a bad business move if it's "the inexpensive creed", like a classicly-styled, entry level buy for budding Creedites.

But I would tend to assume such is not the case, and it will be EDT concentration or greater, with a very interesting twist to traditional cologne themes, and a retail price to match OV & OS.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Might not be a bad business move if it's "the inexpensive creed", like a classicly-styled, entry level buy for budding Creedites.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life (from windsor thread) View Post
    I see an intelligent marketing strategy at work here. Let's not forget that Creed was so easily available through the grey market channels at low cost that its pretension to exclusivity had become completely absurd. I paid less for a number of my bottles than what some stinky Hugo Boss frag costs retail. Through their new boutique and particularly official online stores they are creating wide visibility while at the same time rebuidling cachet as an exclusive brand through high-priced "limited" editions. You can see the emotions this is generating right here and the Feuille Verte or Windsor-effect will help them legitzimize price increases for their regular line, too. I'm pretty sure they will take great pains to avoid their newer releases appearing on discount sites and ebay as well. They will want to get where Chanel already is in terms of controlling distribution. All of this will be good for the company and bad for less-than-wealthy perfume lovers. Perhaps they should introduce a budget line in the long term ($100 for 75ml)
    Good Life's prediction proved correct, as shortly after the introduction of Windsor, Creed slightly raised prices...as well as seemingly tightening distribution of some older scents.

...anyone think the latter jab (bolded) will prove unintentionally true?

I am eager to see what happens, as the appearance of a two tier product line is forming, given the murmurings of another new release costing ~$1000.00.

I am eager to see what happens, as the appearance of a two tier product line is forming, given the murmurings of another new release costing ~$1000.00.
    What do You think would be worth that price? The price itself, its exclusivity, it's daring effrontery? But that's an other question. My original question is:

There are Original Vetiver and Original Santal - OV is advertized as comprising the extract of the foliage of the grass in contradiction to traditionally using the roots extract. What about OS then? Is it the extract of the foliage, and not of the stems that are used regularly? Given that CREED has been that inventive, which precious ingredient could be used "different"? Original Orris, using the odorless flowers instead of the roots?

From What I was told, Original cologne will be part of the Exclusive line like Sublime Vanille and Wood & Spices.

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    What do You think would be worth that price?
    A split ?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post

Buffalo Bill?

It rubs the lotion on its skin, or else it gets the hose again.

Any word on a release date?

Someone on a recent thread mentioned that although it called a cologne, it will be EDP strength.

I find it very interesting that this has grapefruit, galbanum, pear, and Rice listed as ingredients....
    I am expecting a very quiet, well-blended yawnfest as has been the case so far with CREED's Royal Exclusives....

...but I would welcome a surprise.

Top Notes
    Bergamot, Lemon, Grapefruit

Middle Notes
    Bitter galbanum, Sweet pear, Petitgrain

Base Notes
    Ambergris, White musks, Rice powder

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26132406.html

I got a distinct rice note in Royal Ceylan. I wonder if the rice powder base will similar here? Although, in Royal Ceylan, it is listed as a top note and as "bitter rice". Actually, it struck me as a key element of that scent and I would not have labeled it as bitter.

Hope so.

Will "Original Cologne" be a vintage styled true Eaux with 30 minute longevity?
    Actually, I think neither. The base sounds like they are aiming for a measure of longevity. And the description that Creed's intent is to evoke "the dandies and swells of Edwardian London and Paris", implies an attempt at elegance, not accessibility. Regardless, I suspect it will have a measure of success.

Will this be available only in those huge, Spice and Wood sizes?
    Hi, I'm William | removethelabels.com
    My Decant & Bottles Swap Thread - AGAIN
    I still need a Creed Original Vetiver 120ml cap...

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    That's what I was wondering. I hope not!
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

A normal sized bottle would be nice!

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    Since it is a Royal Exclusive, one would infer such (unfortunately).

And not only, but also....

"Olivier CREED will release in the U.S. another fragrance based on some of his son’s more exotic travels and the rare and precious ingredients he hand selected along the way. And Mr. CREED reserves the right, as always, pleasantly to surprise his clients with still more fragrances in this very creative period."

http://blog.creedboutique.com/

Banned
    Blog Entries

Amalfi Garden looks far more interesting to me than Original Cologne. The Royal Exclusives line needs a hit. I'm hoping it's that one instead. For cologne, I have Original 4711.

Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    Amalfi Garden looks far more interesting to me than Original Cologne. The Royal Exclusives line needs a hit. I'm hoping it's that one instead.
    I agree.

What surprised me most is that Jardin D'Amalfi is listed as a feminine scent ? The note list shows only Citrus and earthy/woody notes.....
    Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    And not only, but also....

"Olivier CREED will release in the U.S. another fragrance based on some of his son’s more exotic travels and the rare and precious ingredients he hand selected along the way. And Mr. CREED reserves the right, as always, pleasantly to surprise his clients with still more fragrances in this very creative period."

http://blog.creedboutique.com/
    Let's hope they don't suck like the royal exclusives so far, and that one supercedes Aventus (which still has yet to appear in a batch that contains all the concept's potential) as a powerful, modern, masculine flagship.

Banned
    Blog Entries

^^^ Yeah, Sublime Vanille gets listed here on BN as feminine also, but I found it to be entirely unisex, even a tad masculine. Spice and Wood was very unisex, too. Original Cologne would probably lean toward the masculine if they want to capture the air of a "dandy" so to speak. But Amalfi and White Flowers would probably be somewhat closer to feminine, especially the latter.

Jardin d'Amalfi doesn't have anything that should classify it as feminine. It does have a powdery-vetiver heart but thats about it.

White Flowers is a full on floral fragrance.

Original Cologne has a lemon-lime top note ..now that I see the notes list that sweetness that I mistook for lime is infact pear. I suspect a more intense spraying session will reveal it more. The heart has a green-herbal feel...what I deciphered as a "Chevrefeuille Original"-like is the galbanum in full force.
    -

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Jardin d'Amalfi doesn't have anything that should classify it as feminine. It does have a powdery-vetiver heart but thats about it.

White Flowers is a full on floral fragrance.

Original Cologne has a lemon-lime top note ..now that I see the notes list that sweetness that I mistook for lime is infact pear. I suspect a more intense spraying session will reveal it more. The heart has a green-herbal feel...what I deciphered as a "Chevrefeuille Original"-like is the galbanum in full force.
    Really? Similar in greenness to Chevrefeuille? I just got Chevrefeuille and the galbanum-like anise-studded heart is really amazing. Very interesting info ZZ, thanks. Makes me really want to try OC. I'm actually really curious about White Flowers. I'm wondering if it's just going to be a wedding fragrance, or something truly unique and an ultimate white floral scent. But J'Ardin D'Amalfi is the one I'm trying first.