Code of Conduct

Thread: Chanel Antaeus

Default Chanel Antaeus

I'm a huge fan of Kouros, as some of you know. I actually received another compliment on it last night from a fetching young lasse. She told me it smelled really clean Anyway, upon recently reading many positive reviews and opinions on Antaeus, I was wondering if I would like it? What are your opinions on this classic? I have an important wedding coming up and want to smell like a rock star.

Default Re: Chanel Antaeus

Antaeus is pure masculine class. I wear it often and receive many compliments.

I like it, but it's a bit stout for a wedding. I'd go for Pour Monsieur, or something a little more traditionally classy. Best to be on the understated side at a wedding. You don't want to be the star of the show - unless it's your own wedding. . .

Apparently, there is a big difference between the original and the reformulated version. I wore the vintage recently and was surprised by how strong the castoreum was. Thus, I'd suggest something like Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme for a wedding, if you want and "old school" frag.

Yeah, I wonder how much the reformulation has changed from the original?

Quote Originally Posted by dogsinatub View Post
    Yeah, I wonder how much the reformulation has changed from the original?
    There are endless threads about that. Do a search.

It is still a fine scent. If you're of a mind that a scent like Antaeus is something calling to you, I also recommend you try VC&A Pour Homme. I find them similar, but for me, VC&A is better. More potent and masculine. Legendary sillage. People will know where you've been for an hour after you left.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 20th September 2010 at 04:13 AM.

I think it's great for a formal occasion. It's really classy, slightly sweeter than Kouros due to the jasmin and it's cleaner.
    I say go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    I think it's great for a formal occasion. It's really classy, slightly sweeter than Kouros due to the jasmin and it's cleaner.
    I say go for it.
    Definately go for it, you will be turning heads at the reception.
    The dry down is absolutely intoxicating Smooth

I just bought a bottle of this earlier this week, and well, all I can say is, YOU NEED THIS. You'll be glad you bought it.

Very suave leathery scent, although very potent too- mature overall impression and extremely suitable for evening/formal wear, so I would recommend this one for a wedding

I like it, but not so many others of my friends and family.. Most of my friends say it smells dirty old man. It`s mostly a hit among the consieurs, basenotes people, and "hardcore" fans. It`s a classic indeed, but IMO there are better classical Masculine fragrances out there. F.ex Hermes Bel Ami, CHANEL Pour Monsieur Concentree, Michael Kors for men, and Creed Bois du Portugal.

The actual formulation is good, but compared to the vintage one, different. I would describe the first one as less bolder, more formal, subtler and subdued.

Antaeus is a great scent and I think it would be perfect for a wedding.

If you can pull of that Kouros, Antaeus would be so much easier. IMO, in terms of the smell, Antaeus is a LOT better than Kouros. Much more agreeable to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    The actual formulation is good, but compared to the vintage one, different. I would describe the first one as less bolder, more formal, subtler and subdued.

The new version is synthetic, powdery, flowery, cloying and lacks the leather, darkness, animalic and natural beeswax essence that made the original so grand. Night and day.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    If you're of a mind that a scent like Antaeus is something calling to you, I also recommend you try VC&A Pour Homme. I find them similar, but for me, VC&A is better. More potent and masculine. Legendary sillage. People will know where you've been for an hour after you left.
    Couldn't agree more. I had bottles of both several years ago, but sold Antaeus and kept VC&A for the very same reasons.
    The Bark Bites Back.

I'm late to the Anteaus party, but having a great time nevertheless. Like I said in another thread, I went to Bloomingdales to smell some new releases but left with this classic. I once had a raincoat from Ireland that was coated in beeswax and had leather trim. To me, Anteaus reminds me of that jacket. When that sweetness pokes through, I'm breathless.

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    The new version is synthetic, powdery, flowery, cloying and lacks the leather, darkness, animalic and natural beeswax essence that made the original so grand. Night and day.
    I refrained from making derogatory remarks due to two reasons:

1. There are people liking it the way it is nowadays.
    2. Such remarks could prevent people not knowing it to try it.

Yes, they are different. But I still think it is a good scent compared to the all the crap being currently released and sold - although I don't feel any kind of interest in replacing the bottle I bought a year ago.

Thanks for the input, gents! I'm gonna order a sample first; I may have a hard time rounding one up here in Nebraska.

If you change your mind, there is always EGOISTE!

I hate to be a beggar, but would anyone be interested in sending a sample my way?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    Couldn't agree more. I had bottles of both several years ago, but sold Antaeus and kept VC&A for the very same reasons.
    It is cool, isn't it? I put it on one night right after I got it (a tad too heavily). Left my place, rode the elevator. Went to store. Forty five minutes later, VC&A was in the elevator still waiting for me.

Hey dogsinatub...I could send you a little sample of the current version. Just contact me with your address. I love Antaeus but it's not quite as fantastic as when it first came out. It's still great. I also think you should test it out, because it can smell a little old lady roses on the wrong male skin. It's not exactly "rock star". You might want to consider Gucci Pour Homme, the amber colored juice in the blocky glass bottle. It's just as impressive as Antaeus, but not quite as heavy.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Antaeus is a great scent and I think it would be perfect for a wedding.
    Absolutely.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread