Code of Conduct

Thread: Dry spice?

Default Dry spice?

I am in need of autumnal spice. Dry, snappy spice. Not just pepper, but cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, maybe clove, though I'd like it if it were verging on carnation rather than a big clove hammer. I'm also looking for something with minimal sweetness, perhaps just some vetiver and/or cedar to round it out. Patchouli or leather are okay provided they aren't overbearing or oversweet.

FWIW, Equipage is a favorite, and I like Egoiste. These lean the right way, but I want something just a shade less rich and sweet, and I'd prefer for it to smell a bit more...recent (I love classic, but that ain't what I'm after right now). I want something that comes across as pretty contemporary without being a cliche. Bargains are great, but I will spend a bit to get something if it's really perfect.

So, what are your favorite dry spice scents?

Regards,
    T
    Last edited by TRBeck; 20th September 2010 at 05:26 PM.

My Wardrobe:
    Yves St. Laurent Live Jazz
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Dry spice?

Spezie by Lorenzo Villoresi

L'Occitane: Eau des Baux. Spicey (cardamom, pepper, nutmeg possibly), incensey, woody (cyprus). There is a bit of sweetness there in the Tonka, especially in the drydown, but it never becomes overly sweet on my skin. Plus it's cheap, without being at all cheap-smelling. Autumn in a bottle.

Pot Pourri by Santa Maria Novella...absolute perfection in the dry spice category to my nose.

(Although I wouldn't say it smells particularly "recent"...I would say "timeless" better describes it)
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

L’Eau du Gouverneur by Comptoir Sud Pacifique. Main notes: clary sage, allspice, nutmeg, pepper, clove. It's heavy on spices, don't even bother if you don't like allspice. It's dry and transparent, could work for summer but it's an autumn scent for me.

Excellent replies thus far. The only one of these I've tried is Eau des Baux, which for my tastes is too sweet and a bit cloying, though I recognize its quality. I just really can't deal with much vanilla, if any.

The L'Eau du Gouverneur has actually been on my test list for some time, and I've not gotten to it. Must fix that.

Keep 'em coming.

Regards,
    T

My Wardrobe:
    Yves St. Laurent Live Jazz
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

Formidable by Kesling

Jazz has a nice nutmeg note, with some cinnamon. Jazz also fits your description of "verging on carnation rather than a big clove hammer."

Tboner,
    Try Jaisalmer from the CdG Incense series. I think you might like it. It's my favorite of that bunch. Also, CdG's original EDP.
    I would also recommend Nemo by Cacharel. It's not a spice bomb but it does have a dry spicy vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    Tboner,
    Try Jaisalmer from the CdG Incense series. I think you might like it. It's my favorite of that bunch. Also, CdG's original EDP. . . .
    Both excellent ideas! Plus let me also suggest:

Alexa Lixfield No. 2 - nice spice/sandalwood with a contemporary edge to it.
    Epice Sauvage by Ayala Moriel - spice so dry it vibrates from internal friction.

Caravelle Epicee by Frapin. Very dry and spicy!
    Evenstar

serge noire?
    opium PH
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Basenotes Institution

I love Hermessence Poivre Samarcande - dry spices .Beautifully done .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Serge Lutens Rousse, dry, woody cinnamon.

Also second Lorenzo Villoresi Spezie, dry, herbal, slightly soapy spices.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    +1 from me

Off-Scenter

Further endorsements of Spezie, Caravelle Epicée (though it may be a little sweet), and Jaisalmer. Also, L'Homme Sage, Eau Lente, Déclaration, Noir Epices, Basala, Tilda Swinton Like This, and Harissa. Check the reviews for these in the Basenotes Directory and see if any sound promising.

Caron Nuit de Noel

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    I definitely agree with Poivre Samarcande as a candidate. I have received more compliments while wearing this than any other fragrance. It is truly a great scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    I definitely agree with Poivre Samarcande as a candidate. I have received more compliments while wearing this than any other fragrance. It is truly a great scent.

For some reason i think you'd love Satellite's Padparadscha.

Jacomo de Jacomo is about as dry a spice as it gets. So smoky and dry, it almost smells like ash.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Mike nailed this one right out of the gate. This is exactly what you're looking for.

+1 on L'eau du Gouverneur. The original Cacharel pour l'Homme is another take on the theme.

also
    l'occitane vetiver
    lalique encre noire
    caron l'anarchiste
    I'm not a fan of sweet scents either but I think the sweetness in l'anarchiste is well done.

maybe zirh ikon too.

YSL Nu eau de parfum, if you can find it (check perfume shops that carry older stock, if you have one near you). Black pepper, incense, dry florals. It was marketed to women but is almost unanimously considered as unisex as they come.

I just tested out a sample of Halston Catalyst today. For the price, I can't imagine a better dry spice frag.