Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Terre d'Hermès vs Terre d'Hermès Parfum

How do they differ (smell, not concentration)?
    Which is easiest on the nose?
    Acqua di Giò is my guilty pleasure. What's yours?

Default Re: Terre d'Hermès vs Terre d'Hermès Parfum

To me, the grapefruit in the opening lasts much longer in the parfum. Also, the dry down is much more fuller and well rounded in the parfum. I don't own or plan on buying the EdT. The parfum will be a future purchase.

I love the TdH EdT but didn´t like Parfum till now.

It was too green for me.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Have both. Don't notice any difference other than better longevity with the perfume.

The Terre d'Hermes EDT has more citrus in it. It smells "sharper" to the nose. Also a bit bitter. The Parfum version is sweeter! Less citrus. And smoother. Smells more like a almost a gourmand. I actually prefer the Parfum version.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    The Terre d'Hermes EDT has more citrus in it. It smells "sharper" to the nose. Also a bit bitter. The Parfum version is sweeter! Less citrus. And smoother. Smells more like a almost a gourmand. I actually prefer the Parfum version.
    Very much agreed. The parfum wears close, strong, and darkly. It also has a rather strange floral note - I believe it is lilial or lyral - which is quite noticeable in contrast to the accords which otherwise resemble the EDT. That floral note is hidden or absent in the EDT.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Very much agreed. The parfum wears close, strong, and darkly. It also has a rather strange floral note - I believe it is lilial or lyral - which is quite noticeable in contrast to the accords which otherwise resemble the EDT. That floral note is hidden or absent in the EDT.
    Indeed....I guess you could say that the Parfum version perfected what the EDT lacked.

I had the EDT and have the Parfum now - I have to say though; while I've always loved it, one of my employees wears it and I don't love it when someone else wears it. The rest of my team actually thought he had BO. I hope that doesn't happen to me too much for things I wear.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I own the EDT and have sampled the Parfum extensively. I'll go against the tide here and recommend the EDT. It's what JCE intended originally and what he does best, IMO. All of the Hermessence and the vast majority of his prior work are EDT.

I hope at some point that JCE tries his hand at an EdC version of TdH. I think that could potentially be the best one of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I was thinking the same thing with regard to the lyral/lilial note. Definitely a floral/green note in the Parfum which I don't get in the EDT. Also, there is a HUGE woody amber fixative note (it could be karanal, but I think it's cedramber) in the Parfum also, and sometimes it whacks me in the head.

I like them both, but if I had to own one of them, I think I'd take the EDT. The EDT is more balanced and more natural smelling. The Parfum has a dense quality which I like sometimes, but other times it's just a tad too much for me.

Please Hermes, release an EDC version of Terre D'Hermes... PLEASE!

BINGO

Have worn the EdT for years now and I wear it well. The EdP on the other hand makes me sick. Headache and once, vomited. It's the flint note that cuts through my skull and permeates my insides. Wish I liked it though. The idea was great, the outcome not so much (for me of course). TRY BEFORE YOU BUY

They are close to me, but the Parfum seems to have less iso e super and more patchouly and pepper. The extra peper and patchouly on the pure parfum made it have some similarties with the smell of French Lover from Frederic Malle. The Parfum seems more like an edp than a true parfum. It has a sillage and longevity similar to an average edp.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I agree with the assessment that the parfum feels rounder, fuller, deeper and yes, denser. But that's to be expected. I find it wears closer to the skin than the EDT which also projects a little sharper & drier. I enjoy both versions & layer them together sometimes...

As with most parfums, the parfum is richer and has less sillage due to the lower alcohol content.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    I had the EDT and have the Parfum now - I have to say though; while I've always loved it, one of my employees wears it and I don't love it when someone else wears it. The rest of my team actually thought he had BO. I hope that doesn't happen to me too much for things I wear.
    Do you know which one your employee was wearing??
    Last edited by Just Truth; 28th December 2010 at 06:41 AM.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Got my EDP today and LOVE it!

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄««««« Çlïck ít ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

Quote Originally Posted by Just Truth View Post
    Do you know which one your employee was wearing??
    I could say almost certainly that it's the EDT. It's the only thing he really wears. However, as it turns out, I think he might have a touch of BO anyways.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

An EDC would be nice . . . I was wearing JCE's Bergamote ((The Different Co.) today. I can imagine a TdH EDC with the same sparkle - great for summer.

I think of TdH EDT as a daytime thing and the Parfum more evening - not particularly imaginative, I know, but works for me. A modern classic IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BINGO View Post
    Have worn the EdT for years now and I wear it well. The EdP on the other hand makes me sick. Headache and once, vomited. It's the flint note that cuts through my skull and permeates my insides. Wish I liked it though. The idea was great, the outcome not so much (for me of course). TRY BEFORE YOU BUY
    Sort of glad to hear that someone else had this reaction to Terre d'Hermes. It gave me a headche a couple times and now I'm having trouble getting back to it. Shame.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    I could say almost certainly that it's the EDT. It's the only thing he really wears. However, as it turns out, I think he might have a touch of BO anyways.
    lol. Ya, I could definitely see this fragrance really making someones BO stand out.

Blog Entries

BUUUUUMP

I have tested and worn both the parfum and EDP, preferring the EDP due to the more citrus and brighter. How's the EDT compare in terms of earthiness and citrusity?

I feel like it wasn't addressed as thoroughly as possible, thats why I bumped/asked
    Last edited by Neurosis; 9th June 2011 at 03:49 AM.

There is no EDP.

When it comes to concentration, the Parfum vs the EDT is very close to the same. The Parfum is technically an EDT too. It just smells different than the original.

I prefer the EDT to the Parfum. I like that vetivery-citrus too much to give it up. EDP is also very good and I might buy it too.

i dont notice any difference between the smell. i have the EDT but will get the parfum next time, because its stronger

Blog Entries

I got the EDT and its literally the same thing, just a lighter base. Not worth the price jump imo

To me the whole point of TDH is its rough around the edges feel.... the Parfum to me rounds off those edges and in doing so detracts from the appeal.

The parfum's topnotes are heavier on the orange, while the edt has more grapefruit... also, the parfum has a richer base, more dirty/flinty. Both are equally good IMO.

The EDT carries an opening that's sparkling for lack of a better word, which is missing in the parfum. The parfum is vegetal, and more floral in the heart.

I love both but I'm happier to live with the EDT.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Parfum +1

It is much more subtle yet lasts a lot longer!

I prefer the Parfume version. It`s more dense, rich, and "dirty". The sillage and longevity seems equal on both.

The parfum is much better.
    It has that appealing feature that make you say: wow!!!!!!
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

I like them both in the beginning, but as the day goes on I like the EDT more. For some reason I get tired of the EDP where the EDT stays refreshing to me. I can't tell you exactly what causes it but there is a definite difference.
    Trying to make the world a better place, one sniff at a time

Sound Scents

I really have no preference between the two. The parfum is more refined, but I get less projection and sillage with it. The edt has more citrus at the start and is a bit less earthy later on. Both are longevity monsters and will hang around all day (and night in most cases) with only 3 sprays. To me, it is a "win-win" proposition and I own and use them both.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I own both, and for a long time I (thought) I liked the edp better.. Today my sotd was TDH edt, and it`s striking how much better the projection and longevity is on my skin. It`s evening now, and I can clearly detect the smell on my skin, not even smelling close. That isn`t the case with the EDP. On my skin the EDP has very low sillage, and IMO it a skin-scent. I have to put my nose completely close to the skin to smell it, even after 30 minutes. Both smell great, but the EDP has a denser "dirtier" base. Next time I need a new bottle, it will buy the EDT, and after the EDP is empty, I think I will not replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    On my skin the EDP has very low sillage, and IMO it a skin-scent. I have to put my nose completely close to the skin to smell it, even after 30 minutes.
    My guess is everyone around you can smell it. I have found both the edt and parfum to be longevity and projection monsters with only ONE spray.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    On my skin the EDP has very low sillage, and IMO it a skin-scent. I have to put my nose completely close to the skin to smell it, even after 30 minutes.
    My guess is everyone around you can smell it. I have found both the edt and parfum to be longevity and projection monsters with only ONE spray.

I'm still on the fence as to which one i like better. Own both, and honestly never wear them, even though i keep tellign myself i am lol. I'm not sure if i just don't feel comfortable wearing it or what the deal is, or maybe i just have better smelling scents to my nose i rather smell like that its hard to reach for these. I do love and appreciate the masterpeices they are by JC.

If i had to pick, i think i would go with the edt, mainly due to its lighter/transparent feel, its more airy and projection is better. The parfum is of better ingredients, however, it just seems to devleops so slowly on the skin that middle goes on for hours and hours.

Both are very smooth and suave on the nose, but the Parfum version differs from the EDT version most likely because of slightly more pronounce citrus and vetiver notes, though the two scents are very similar, the parfum version makes more of the interesting, rich, energetic notes of the regular EDT move more brashly and more distinctively into the foreground

Just received my sample of the parfum Terre d Hermes from Perfumed court and am loving it.

I am definitely buying. Have no way of testing the EDT anytime soon.

Two questions

1) At fragrancenet they have a 2.5 parfum in the normal bottle and one in a special edition h bottle. Special edition is $20 less. Are these the same scents, different bottles?

2) 2.5oz parfum is going to cost me about $80. At LJshopping they have the edt in the 6.8oz size for roughly the same price. A little bit torn here. Want the best scent (even though this thread is 50/50 on which one is better) and its same price for 2.5oz vs 6.8oz

Quote Originally Posted by micah323 View Post
    Just received my sample of the parfum Terre d Hermes from Perfumed court and am loving it.

I am definitely buying. Have no way of testing the EDT anytime soon.

Two questions

1) At fragrancenet they have a 2.5 parfum in the normal bottle and one in a special edition h bottle. Special edition is $20 less. Are these the same scents, different bottles?

2) 2.5oz parfum is going to cost me about $80. At LJshopping they have the edt in the 6.8oz size for roughly the same price. A little bit torn here. Want the best scent (even though this thread is 50/50 on which one is better) and its same price for 2.5oz vs 6.8oz
    Not sure if this will sway your decision, but the 6.8oz edt is out of stock at LJshopping. The parfum seems to pop up here on the sales thread every so often.

Basenotes Junkie

Any difference in longevity? That's probably my only beef with the EDT. I find it wonderful, but it doesn't last that many hours. Fourish?

Banned

hmmmm... trying to decide between Boring and Extra Boring. that can be a tough choice... how strongly you want to impress upon people your mediocrity.

do you want people to just say "dang that guys smells like the Webster's dictionary definition of mainstream cheap cologne"?

or do you want people to say "DANG!!!! THAT GUY SMELLS LIKE THE WEBSTER'S DICTIONARY DEFINITION OF MAINSTREAM CHEAP COLOGNE"?

admittedly it's a touch decision to make.

Both EDT and Parfum last all day for me.

The main differences are:

-citrus opening is more grapefruit in the EDT, more orange in the parfum
    -The earthy, flinty, mineral accord is much stronger in the parfum
    -EDT has a more etherial, light, and transparent feel to it vs. the parfum, which is richer and more substantial by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
    hmmmm... trying to decide between Boring and Extra Boring. that can be a tough choice... how strongly you want to impress upon people your mediocrity.

do you want people to just say "dang that guys smells like the Webster's dictionary definition of mainstream cheap cologne"?

or do you want people to say "DANG!!!! THAT GUY SMELLS LIKE THE WEBSTER'S DICTIONARY DEFINITION OF MAINSTREAM CHEAP COLOGNE"?

Why even bother posting this garbage?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post

-EDT has a more etherial, light, and transparent feel to it vs. the parfum, which is richer and more substantial by comparison.
    Agree on all accounts

The parfum lacks the sharp orange/grapefruit smell in the EDT (which I enjoy). Some say the parfum has an "earthy, flinty, mineral accord," but I just don't smell it that way -- I get a very strong unwashed body odor vibe that I can't get past. As a generalization I'd say the EDT is pretty universally liked by basenoters, but the parfum is more polarizing.

I don't think either smells "boring" or "cheap," whatever those words may mean in this context.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    The parfum lacks the sharp orange/grapefruit smell in the EDT (which I enjoy). Some say the parfum has an "earthy, flinty, mineral accord," but I just don't smell it that way -- I get a very strong unwashed body odor vibe that I can't get past. As a generalization I'd say the EDT is pretty universally liked by basenoters, but the parfum is more polarizing.

I don't think either smells "boring" or "cheap," whatever those words may mean in this context.
    Yeah, that accord in TdH is interesting, my friend said it smelled like marijuana and I've heard than a lot on BN too. Others combine it with the citrus to get a "rotting orange" scent. And BO... I've heard that before too. I think the intention was an earthy, mineral accord though, at least I hope so! The perfumer, JC Ellena has put a "BO" accord in Declaration and Bigarade Concentre aswell as TdH, at much higher volume in the 1st two though. I think it works in TdH better than the others, Bigarade is DISGUSTING after the incredibly good citrus notes wear off, which unfortunately doesn't take long.

Sound Scents

Another +1. That was ridiculous!
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Banned

oh I'm sorry... I didn't realize only positive comments are allowed about TdH. that's funny because I can't mention the word Creed without 10 people telling me they are responsible for the rise of Hitler and how their quality control standards are on par with a Subway deli.

but continue with TdH being above criticism. please....

You Sir, and your post, is indeed a waste of precious space in this thread
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

10 char
    Last edited by CHSeifert; 20th January 2012 at 09:02 PM.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Lightbulb Re: Terre d'Hermès vs Terre d'Hermès Parfum

10 char char
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Lightbulb Re: Terre d'Hermès vs Terre d'Hermès Parfum

oh I'm sorry... I didn't realize only positive comments are allowed about TdH. that's funny because I can't mention the word Creed without 10 people telling me they are responsible for the rise of Hitler and how their quality control standards are on par with a Subway deli.

but continue with TdH being above criticism. please....
    Because your post is irrelevant !

A guy asking about the difference between the EDT and EDP version obviously has some positive interest in the Terre D'Hermes perfume. You so obviously don't. END OF STORY !
    I did the same in a couple of threads about Dior Homme Intense - and I now realize I should have stayed out of such threads.

You listen and learn........
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Both EDT and Parfum last all day for me.

I've had the same experience on the first and third points. However, the EdT on me comes across as more sharply flinty and mineral, while the parfum lacks those sharp edges.

Got my parfum today. It's better. Deeper smelling than the edt. They're both great.

Never smelled the parfum but the edt is fantastic. I love it's personality, especially because of the rough edges.
    Wild at Heart and Weird on Top

The EDT is harsher initially. The EDP is smooth throughout. Honestly, the average person wouldn't be able to tell the difference on you in passing.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

The EDP is a little too strong and peppery for me, so I'd prefer the EDT.

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    Because your post is irrelevant !

A guy asking about the difference between the EDT and EDP version obviously has some positive interest in the Terre D'Hermes perfume. You so obviously don't. END OF STORY !
    I did the same in a couple of threads about Dior Homme Intense - and I now realize I should have stayed out of such threads.

You listen and learn........
    Good lord, someone actually was mature enough to admit he made a mistake in judgment in another thread. I think this is an Internet first.

And to keep things on topic, in my opinion, most people would be able to tell the difference between the EDT and parfum. I do not think they're so close as to be almost interchangeable to the general public. I've never conducted an experiment, and don't intend to. Just my belief.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

What's the consensus on layering these together?

Or even mixing in a travel dispenser? Would that be the equivalent of mixing wines in your glass?