Code of Conduct

Default Silver Mountain Water Worth a Blind Buy?

Hey guys, so with the sale on frangraceNet I noticed that SMW is $80 for a tester of 2.5 oz and I was wondering if it is worth a blind buy? I have been really wanting to buy/try a Creed for a while now, but no stores around me (AT ALL) sell them or allow for samples/testing. It sounds like I would really enjoy the notes, so what do you think?

Also, regardless of my low post count, I know the theme here is "don't blind buy" in general. I understand, but humor me with your opinions.

Thanks .

EDIT: Apparently I can get MI for the same price, and GIT for $20 more. Would either of those be a better blind buy? Again, they sound fine to me.
    Last edited by OctaVariuM; 1st August 2012 at 06:45 PM.

Default Re: Silver Mountain Water Worth a Blind Buy?

Silver Mountain Water is a pretty safe blind buy.

IMO Yes.

I personally think SMW is overrated. But for $80 you could use it as a shoe spray if you don't like it.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

Do it.

Definitely, but you will be much more pleased with the scent paying less for it, it's definitely not worth what they ask.

SMW is one of my favorites from them though, it's refreshing.

Blog Entries

Go for it.

My personal opinion is that this scent is hard not to like. It won't wow you or break any boundaries but it's nice and inoffensive. So go for it blind. You can always sell it on if you don't like it.
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

Blog Entries

Wow, starshipvelcro, Fraghead, and I, posted at the same time.

I blind bought SMW sometime back in '08 and have been regretting it ever since. Overrated & overpriced at any price for me... sample first!
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Sur la Plage

It's not a worth buying - blind or not blind.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Wow, starshipvelcro, Fraghead, and I, posted at the same time.
    That's weird!
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

Well it sounded like you guys thought it was worth it at first, and now maybe not so much.

Apparently I can get MI for the same price, and GIT for $20 more. Would either of those be a better blind buy? Again, they sound fine to me.

No, of all the Creeds I've sampled it's the only one that isn't bottle worthy. You're far better off buying Millesime Imperial or Green Irish Tweed.

Basenotes Plus

Get a 5ml decant or even like 2-3ml from surrendertochance.com or get some samples from a Creed SA and check them out. You should wear it for a few times before you purchase. And you don't want to buy from a discount place because you don't know what kind of stock you are going to get. It's worth it to purchase from the Creed Boutique because you know you are getting a product that meets their standards, even though some people knock those standards from time to time. If you like it, try to find someone splitting it here to save money.

Basenotes Plus

I don't recommend blind-buying any Creed scents, unless you have extra cash burning a hole in your pocket.

It is best to try a small tester (sample vial), which you can find on Ebay - personally, if I were you I would try several. Buy a small lot of testers...yes, it costs a little, but will prevent you from any regrets.

I bought Silver Mountain Water after debating for a long time. I wear it once in a while (rarely). It has some qualities I like but, (similar to most Creed bottlings), it doesn't warrant the price. Personally, I don't have regret - but a scent with a price tag that high should leave you feeling absolutely wonderful upon application. I feel good & refreshed.

I don't dislike Creed as a house, but their scents are not for everyone.

Good luck with your decision - I think small decants are the safe approach to the entire line. You may end up liking GIT, Aventus or (my personal favorite from the house) - Tabarome Millesime, which is in the same price range with notes that I adore.

Cheers.

ericrico
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    I don't recommend blind-buying any Creed scents, unless you have extra cash burning a hole in your pocket.

It is best to try a small tester (sample vial), which you can find on Ebay - personally, if I were you I would try several. Buy a small lot of testers...yes, it costs a little, but will prevent you from any regrets.

I bought Silver Mountain Water after debating for a long time. I wear it once in a while (rarely). It has some qualities I like but, (similar to most Creed bottlings), it doesn't warrant the price. Personally, I don't have regret - but a scent with a price tag that high should leave you feeling absolutely wonderful upon application. I feel good & refreshed.

I don't dislike Creed as a house, but their scents are not for everyone.

Good luck with your decision - I think small decants are the safe approach to the entire line. You may end up liking GIT, Aventus or (my personal favorite from the house) - Tabarome Millesime, which is in the same price range with notes that I adore.

Cheers.

ericrico
    Thanks for the advice. To be honest, each sample is like $5 and the shipping is nearly another $5 for me, so $10 per sample at a few samples is getting up there in price. I am considering GIT over the others since it seems to be not only popular, but good for spring/summer/and fall, which is awesome considering I am in college and like to have versatile colognes (though I also like season specific ones). At $97 with free shipping, I don't think getting 2.5 oz of GIT is a bad deal at all, especially since it usually goes for considerably more (though on fragranceNet it's usually only $30-$40 more for the tester).

It's not like I have money to burn, but I do have some set aside for a fragrance, and I've always wanted a Creed. I also figure I can sell it for a medium sized loss if needed (or give it away).

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    agree

I don't think there are any safe blind buys, and there are some who find SMW's blackberry/tea combination a bit offputting. I wouldn't even suggest buying GIT blind, but if you're set on blind buying, GIT is safer than SMW. GIT is the most versatile, appropriate-for-any-occasion cologne out there.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Yes.

I would sooner recommend a blind buy of GIT - even if it is a few bucks more...
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    5. Puredistance - Black
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1

Its an easy to west perfume. A crowd pleaser and for thatpricenotrisk St all.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    +1000

To me, really, no scent over $30 is worth a blind buy. Price is always relative, though. It's a NICE scent, but I have owned it and sold it probably 6 times. Just sold another.

Yep, great fragrance. Perfect for Spring and Summer, fresh, inoffensive and unique at the same time.

Its a nice buy, also have Al-Rehab Silver. Buy that and if you want something close and 5%
    of the price.

I have 2 creeds and i doubt ill buy any more.

I usually just use the roll on these days, keep it in the car, cheap as chips and no one can tell the difference. Dont use a lot tho, i over used it and killed the smell for me. I still dont always reach for my creed these days.

don't blind buy it, get a sample i hated it

Definitely agree with everyone to sample first. I thought it would be love at first sniff, but after a spritz at the store it was disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Thanks for the advice. To be honest, each sample is like $5 and the shipping is nearly another $5 for me, so $10 per sample at a few samples is getting up there in price. I am considering GIT over the others since it seems to be not only popular, but good for spring/summer/and fall, which is awesome considering I am in college and like to have versatile colognes (though I also like season specific ones). At $97 with free shipping, I don't think getting 2.5 oz of GIT is a bad deal at all, especially since it usually goes for considerably more (though on fragranceNet it's usually only $30-$40 more for the tester).

It's not like I have money to burn, but I do have some set aside for a fragrance, and I've always wanted a Creed. I also figure I can sell it for a medium sized loss if needed (or give it away).
    If I were you, I'd go with the GIT for your first Creed. It was my first, and I still think it's one of Creed's best.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I really like smw but im not sure its the safest blind buy but for 80 dollars thats a steal

Silver Mountain Water is only Creed's 3rd best fragrance with "water" in the title. I would sooner recommend a blind buy of:

Virgin Island Water
    Royal Water
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    5. Puredistance - Black
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    I really like smw but im not sure its the safest blind buy but for 80 dollars thats a steal
    Yeah, that is kind of why I am willing to take the chance (or at least I am considering it). I've basically narrowed it down to MI or GIT. I was considering getting a few samples online, but the only ones I can find are SMW, MI, and Himalayan. I would honestly buy GIT if I knew what it smelled like.

Would going to some store and sampling Cool Water give me a good enough idea of what it smells like, or no?

I think it's been mentioned in this tread, but you can buy a fragrance called Al Rehab Silver (spray) which smells so close to SMW that it'll make you sick if you smell it after buying a bottle of SMW. Al Rehab Silver is around $10.00 on Ebay.

my order would be MI, GIT, then SMW. I do like all 3 though

I bought it blind and cheap and I'm very happy with it although the opening hour and the smell from the bottle are the best parts.

Banned

Nope.

Basenotes Junkie

Nice fragrance, go for it if you for some reason must buy without sampling.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Yeah, that is kind of why I am willing to take the chance (or at least I am considering it). I've basically narrowed it down to MI or GIT. I was considering getting a few samples online, but the only ones I can find are SMW, MI, and Himalayan. I would honestly buy GIT if I knew what it smelled like.

Would going to some store and sampling Cool Water give me a good enough idea of what it smells like, or no?
    As for the Cool Water GIT comparison, it will give you some idea.
    If you like Cool Water: you'll LOVE Green Irish (guarenteed)
    If you don't like Cool Water: you may still really like Green Irish, or you may not

The opening is the biggest different. Green Irish has an amazing lemon opening whereas Cool Water's opening is disorganized. So DON'T JUDGE BY THE OPENING. However, after an hour, they both are very similar. Cool Water after an hour is similar to Green Irish Tweed after an hour.

You can get a $4 sample of GIT on checkitoutone.com - I used that website on several occasions and it's completely reliable.

Also, make sure you do get a sample of MI ($5 on ebay). MI is heavenly.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Good price. Definitely yes.

I sampled this at a local Perfume shop and hated it!
    It was offered to me for $45 and I still passed that is how bad the scent is.

Leave it where it is

Never blind buy for Creed but $80 is good price. go for it.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Worst case scenario, it's great trade bait