Code of Conduct

Default Have any of you tried really simple all-natural compositions?

I was wondering about combining nutmeg and opoponax essential oils (diluting to preference, of course), since I don't care about top notes. I'd like to create a simple spice frag with a slightly sweet, slightly balsamic base. Thanks.

Default Re: Have any of you tried really simple all-natural compositions?

I have been blending for about a year, and have come up with a few nice fragrances. I myself am not too concerned with top notes and use them only in small amounts. A great jumpstart can be found at Linda's wonderful website Here. Good luck on blending sir, I find it a fascinating hobby. Linda also has all the aroma molecules you would need to start creating.
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

Post Thanks / Like

Let me start out by saying that I haven't worked with opoponax. My general findings of natural ingredients is that the majority of them just don't have very good longevity. Even so called base notes disappear withing a few hours. Yes, nice, simple blends can be made, but it's not so simple to make a blend with the projection and longevity that you desire. As wooznib said though, this is a fascinating hobby. I am enjoying it immensely.

Imho simple fragrances are just that: simple. So even when using naturals, it's very likely that they'll miss depth, longevity and complexity. But that doesn't have to mean that you can't enjoy it. I wear single diluted aromatic materials often just to see how they develop and for educational purposes.

What I do when I want some aromatic materials to take center is research them in depth. 'Break' them down in the smaller single aromatic materials and then research those. After that see if other complex aromatic materials have single aromatic materials or aromatic profiles in common with the center pieces. Adding a trace of those can enhance the original material and provide the depth, longevity and complexity I desire.
    Customized consultancy on olfactory branding, design & research
    www.irinatudor.nl

Social platform & network on all things smelly
    www.somethingsmelly.nl

The facts on IFRA restrictions & EU regulations

Post Thanks / Like

So how is it going Bigsly? What have you come up with so far?

I got natural tobacco extract, which is supposed to be very strong and last a long time, but it does not seem to last very long at all. It's very thick so it really needs to be heated up first. I've been busy with other things so I've only done a few "experiments." The tobacco extract is like chewing tobacco. It has more of a moist, hay-like quality than I expected. I'll likely combine it with a weak frag that I don't like much (to ensure at least decent longevity) and stop my experiments there, because this seems to require more technical expertise than I'm interested in attaining at this point. However, I do think many BNers would like the tobacco extract if it were combined with the right frag.

Where did your tobacco absolute come from? It sounds like a nice one. It is one of the things on my to find list.

Post Thanks / Like

Longevity with naturals is possible but needs to be worked on. I have made a couple of bases which really help. Naturals with good longevity include vanilla, sandalwood, oakmoss, patchouli, oud, labdanum. I make concentrated mixtures of theses and other ingredients and then add them to perfumes in varying quantities. Ambergris is great for longevity if you can obtain it.
    Also getting concentrations right is important. You may need to use quite high concentrations of oakmoss and sandalwood and vanilla but these last ages if you do.

A simple mixture of herbal/citrus/rose/sandalwood can develop beautifully and last for many hours if put together correctly.

The problem with naturals is my opinion, is not longevity but sillage. After a short time of intensive sillage, they tend to drop down to very quiet radiance.

Re tobacco - this is a very powerrful note and hard to blend. I had great trouble using it and spent months before I figured out a few good uses. A little goes a very long way.

Bigsly - tobacco is an absolute (thick, sticky and heavy) and thus needs diluting in alcohol (I suggest at 10%) before use.
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

This is the one I purchased: http://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/...te-1-pure.aspx

I will likely just add it to several frags I don't like much (or cheapos) and see what happens, so that I don't have to do a lot of work (not that I know what I'm doing anyway LOL).