Code of Conduct

Default I got SLAMMED for my SOTD at work today!!!

So today I wore Montale's Aoud Leather from a sample. My second wearing. Just small dabs on each wrist: perhaps .2 ml total. The first time I wore it, I liked it: not so much for the aoud (which seems barely present), but for the leather notes, which remind me somewhat of Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather, but a little less bold.

I went to work and after an hour I got slammed! The first comment was from a female co-worker who said I smelled the whole place up. Plus that I smelled like an old-lady. Another male co-worker said that he was having an allergic reaction to my perfume and said it smelled like a woman's perfume. So I scubbed it.

I have worn virtually everything in my wardbrobe to work and never before got multiple complaints. (And only single critique when I asked a co-worker friend opinions)

Default Re: I got SLAMMED for my SOTD at work today!!!

I'm sorry about the disappointing experience. I've never tried AL but is it that potent or unpleasant? Multiple comments are unusual. Could it have been the temperature (unusually warm) or your skin condition? I don't know what to think.

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    I'm sorry about the disappointing experience. I've never tried AL but is it that potent or unpleasant? Multiple comments are unusual. Could it have been the temperature (unusually warm) or your skin condition? I don't know what to think.
    I don't perceive it to be extremely potent. I can smell it, but I don't feel like I am in a cloud or anything. It isn't unusually warm here.

The first time I wore it I was around family; no comments there.

Sounds like it was to pungent for a enclosed workspace, maybe if you got the dosage right and used it again at a later date people may be more complimentary. It's a common problem when testing new scents is that some are way more pungent than others.

Sorry to hear about your experience.

Aoud Leather does smell like Tuscan Leather but I don't know how it can be perceived as a smell of an old man, let along the smell of a woman's perfume. Perhaps is it that you have a rather enclosed work space.

my god that must have been some strong shit

Sorry to hear mate! Comments like this only make people overtly cautious and self-conscious in a negative way. Still, their reaction is very understandable.

You must keep in mind, that for many of us perfumes have been a dear hobby for several years. Sometimes it's startling, how different our perception (or how the perception is processed, so to speak) is compared to a person's, who have just very little experience of this exciting world. I'm not at all surprised by any of the comments. Aoud Leather is not something people are used to smelling around them!

Imagine you have never tasted any cheese before, and get to test different cheeses, from mild to very strong and smelly. Your mouth isn't used to all these strange tastes, you have no concepts to describe them. Sensation is thus very raw and chaotic, you can't get any firm grip of it. All you can say is, if you like the cheese or not. I can't get back to the stage of innocence, but I have an intuition, that for regular people Montales are like a very strong cheese, something you certainly must get used to, before appreciating. Aqua di Gio, for example, is the mildly pleasant cheese.

For this reason, we should not imagine that people around us find Hammam Bouquet dandyish, Blenheim Bouquet reserved and serious or No. 88 dark or mysterious. They are perceived just as 'nice' or 'yuck!'. One really has to be quite deep in this to find any attributes in a fragrance, besides fresh (even this is often used in a strange way) and sweet. When it comes to these three, unfortunately it's mostly 'yuck!', at least in Finland - true periphery of finer things in life.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Ouch. Sorry to hear about your experience. I suppose the arms do move around a lot more; even with dabs to the wrists, the sillage still gets thrown around the enclosed space a fair bit. Try a little dab on your chest or solar plexus next time. Your shirt will moderate the projection somewhat but still let you catch the occasional whiff in private. And always carry an 'inoffensive office scent du jour' as backup.

I had a similar (but less confronting) experience wearing TF Tuscan Leather. Haven't tried AL, but it's likely pretty potent as is TL.

Certain scents are just tough to wear at work.

I appreciate the comments. I would say that my work place is spacious, yet somewhat stuffy (air circulation not always as good as it should be).

I guess the reason I am surprised is that I have worn scents virtually every day to work and not all of them are tame. For example, I have worn Mazzolari Lui and Musc Ravaguer with no negative comments (perhaps my sense that these project is incorrect). So I guess I was caught off guard today.

Just curious as to what the age range of the individuals were? I have a niece who smelled TL from the bottle and was like "whew, I don't like that one at all!". She's 21 and, honestly, her opinion on just about anything runs on the juvenile side of the spectrum - you know, Adam Sandler makes the best movies and nothing smells better than some fruity concoction from Victoria's Secret. For those people, a leather scent like that is going to be a bit jarring as they have nothing to compare/contrast it to (the last mainstream leather scent I can think of was Cuiron).
    The Bark Bites Back.

Well, I wouldn't compare Lui and Musc Ravageur to Aoud Leather. They at least have more familiar notes to the nose. Just don't wear that perfume again to work, as Johnny mentioned not everybodys nose is trained to appreciate everything. And don't let it be a let down, I know people like us can be very sensitive about people's comments when it comes to perfumes, but it's just like everything else. Don't turn into one of those people who wear two sprays of a weak non-offensive piece of crap just because you got a few bad comments

I would put your colognes on under your shirt rather than on your wrists. Less sillage that way.

Boy, do you have rude co-workers!

Oh, forgot to mention I went to the movies a couple of years ago (a matinee during the summer) and wore Kiton Black. On the way out, I hear some girl say "somebody needs to get some new cologne". I looked over and saw she was all of perhaps 17 years old and dismissed it - I can't even be sure she was mentioning me in particular - but again, there's a reason what's popular is popular, just with movies, music, etc., because it's that age bracket that has the most disposable income. And I can admit, I once thought CK Escape was the cat's flap, too.
    The Bark Bites Back.

i get compliments on Oudh Lime...go Figure

on the other hand..i do feel Montales are loud... oudhlime happens to be the only scent i spray one shot of, and that too, to my torso. it works like a charm. you may want to try this way...lets get them educated about a thing of two bout eather based scents, shall we?

Yeah, I wouldn't consider most Montales work place friendly either. Especially the aoud line.

I found Tuscan Leather, Aoud Leather, and Clive Christian 'C' all smell very very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Futami View Post
    I found Tuscan Leather, Aoud Leather, and Clive Christian 'C' all smell very very similar.
    Thanks for mentioning Clive Christian 'C'. I tried that recently and I agree with your point. 'C' is the most complex of the lot though.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    Thanks for mentioning Clive Christian 'C'. I tried that recently and I agree with your point. 'C' is the most complex of the lot though.
    Agreed, in fact I did like it very much. I think I like it better than Tuscan Leather but since i already own TL and the Clive's are just so unjustifiably expensive a purchase was out of the question. I also found Aoud Lime much easier to wear and less harsh than Tuscan Leather.

Basenotes Institution

Montale's aoud scents are quite polarizing. Most people either love 'em or hate 'em. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on what these people think of your fragrances. If you enjoy them, that's all that matters.

Try spraying UNDER YOUR CLOTHES, not on your wrists next time. Oh and only 1 or 2 sprays.

Yeah, that is embarrassing. You should be happy, though, that they were nice enough to tell you. Montale's are damn strong, especially in close quarters. It doesn't mean you have to stop wearing it, just cut back on the sprays.

I am sorry to hear about this.

I once wore Caleche EDP and a family member said it smelled like nursing home soap.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Dude, back to the Mark Birley and AdP for a while until things blow over.

Funny, I do enjoy all these whiffs around when riding the bus or subway in the early morning. Same in the office. I got once heard a comment from a clerk about someone using too much pefume, which I asked if it was, in his opinion, a good or bad thing; he told me "well, it will just pass away, so there is no harm done".

I cannot understand how people can be so confrontational regarding perfume wearing. As a matter of fact, I even have the feeling they might as well resort to any kind of fragrance used and sillage in order to be aggresive: I, sincerely, cannot believe two dabs of perfume can cause such a reaction. IMHO, they are resorting to the fact you are wearing perfume in order to be aggresive, no matter what or how you use it.

If I were you, I'd wear some very light eau for some time, or even no perfume at all, and at the same time, spritz your colleague's box office or chair with the full content of 3,3 OZ bottle of the strongest, vilest, perfume around (Carlo Corinto or Lomani would do, I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    If I were you, I'd wear some very light eau for some time, or even no perfume at all, and at the same time, spritz your colleague's box office or chair with the full content of 3,3 OZ bottle of the strongest, vilest, perfume around (Carlo Corinto or Lomani would do, I guess...
    Funny, that's what I did with my Aoud Lime sample...

I love (but don't wear it often) Black Aoud, but Aoud Leather I found absolutely disgusting and yes, maybe 'rude' when I sampled it. Still, quite amazing reactions...

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    Another male co-worker said that he was having an allergic reaction to my perfume and said it smelled like a woman's perfume.

Allergic reaction? What a f'in pussy. I probably would have put more on if someone told me that.
    Bottles for Swap:

Givenchy Pour Homme 1.7oz(97% full)
    CK Obsession Night 1.7oz(97% full)
    Cerruti 1881 1.7oz(50% full)
    Un Jardin Sur De Nil(95% full)

Looking for:

Chanel Allure Sport
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Polo Blue
    Fahrenheit Absolute
    Dolce and Gabbana The One

That treatment's really rude mate.

Wearing loud fragrances in offices, especially in those that do not have fine air circulation could really be discomforting for some.

However, people generally have the tendency to be a complete jackass when fragrances are considered.

I received the good old "old lady" comment even for GIT,imagine...

Quote Originally Posted by leto View Post
    That treatment's really rude mate.

Wearing loud fragrances in offices, especially in those that do not have fine air circulation could really be discomforting for some.

However, people generally have the tendency to be a complete jackass when fragrances are considered.

I received the good old "old lady" comment even for GIT,imagine...
    There are people with the gift of hitting the spot when comming to insult in a socially approved, educated, way. So, if you are among the ones liking perfumes, the best option when offending would be centering in your love for perfume wearing.

It took me time to really understand it but a restrained relationship and carefull wording when dealing with colleagues in proffesional / working circles helps a lot in order to prevent these situations. If we are talking about friends and family, well, you might as well respond in another fashion.

Get a new job. You work with a bunch of morons.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Get a new job. You work with a bunch of morons.
    I look at yesterday as a unique experience; an oddity. I have worn fragrance for well over 1,000 days at work here, and never got a bad reaction.

On the whole, my co-workers are decent, reasonable people.

One curiousity has emerged in my mind: how does Aoud Leather smell on someone else? What would perception be? I will try to get my son to do so, in order to develop an impression.

Pollux, exactly. It's not only for fragrances, it's about any hobby, if you are seen for just a moment whilst reading a comic book, voila, you are "that comic book guy" if the jackass wants to insult you or if he doesn't have anything reasonable to say.

Now I've heard it all! Sorry to hear about your experience.

As for the male co-worker, it appears that his problem was psychosomatic - couldn't get his head around that fact that a man was wearing an 'old-lady' perfume and freaked...

I dont want to be ass but I dont know what is wrong about 2 guys stating their opinion about someones fragrance. Maybe they were bit harsh, but if someone in my work smells like shit and that smell would bother me, i'd told them too. Office is shared place, people shouldnt wear fragrances that bother anyone to small closed spaces that they share with other people. Its almost like if someone smokes in office where smoking is not allowed.. It would bother me too.

I try to wear to work only fragrances that dont bother anyone... its not about other people respecting me.. .but about me respecting majority.

You learned lesson about Aoud Leather. There are still many fragrances that you can enjoy and wear to work, that won't bother anyone and maybe even get compliments. Life goes on .
    Last edited by dreamer81; 22nd September 2010 at 04:05 PM.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    I dont want to be ass but I dont know what is wrong about 2 guys stating their opinion about someones fragrance. Maybe they were bit harsh, but if someone in my work smells like shit and that smell would bother me, i'd told them too. Office is shared place, people shouldnt wear fragrances that bother anyone to small closed spaces that they share with other people. Its almost like if someone smokes in office where smoking is not allowed.. It would bother me too.

I try to wear to work only fragrances that dont bother anyone... its not about other people respecting me.. .but about me respecting majority.

You learned lesson about Aoud Leather. There are still many fragrances that you can enjoy and wear to work, that won't bother anyone and maybe even get compliments. Life goes on .
    Point taken but I don't want to wear Acqua Di Gio for the rest of my working life (in the same way I wouldn't want to hear shitty daytime radio being played in the background of an office setting).

Sometimes, going out of one's way not to offend is offensive in itself...

Here's a question: Knowing that people sometimes wear inappropriate attire to work, would negative comments with regards to what they're wearing clothes-wise be viewed similarly fragrance-wise?

Do you think comments come because you're a co-worker and it's "safe" to do so? What if you were their manager? Would they still make a comment to you, or behind your back?

Would about the co-worker who brings fish every Tuesday and microwaves it, stinking up the entire office for hours on end?

Obviously these are all different examples and can be argued as such, but really, the underlying issues are the same. I'm just curious as to what people's views are for what's socially acceptable.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    Here's a question: Knowing that people sometimes wear inappropriate attire to work, would negative comments with regards to what they're wearing clothes-wise be viewed similarly fragrance-wise?
    Well, atleast you DONT HAVE TO look at someones clothes if you dont like them or if they offend you. But you have to breath same air as everyone else so its different to me.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

What's socially unacceptable is being a dick about your co-worker's fragrance. If it's really that bad there are discreet ways of saying something. Being rude in the office is never acceptable. If they're rude about fragrance, they're not doubt idiots about many other social graces. Overall, that kind of behavior is indicative of immaturity, which is never acceptable in the workplace.

Now, in terms of socially acceptable fragrance in the workplace: best to go light on the trigger, best to avoid anything that you know is considered "loud" or on the edgy side. No Joop! in the office, please.

All that stated, it's likely that all of us will make an error of judgment when it comes to workplace fragrances. Really, it's no big deal. But obnoxious co-workers rudely and/or publicly calling you out on it - yes, that is a big deal. Completely unacceptable behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post

Do you think comments come because you're a co-worker and it's "safe" to do so? What if you were their manager? Would they still make a comment to you, or behind your back?

Would about the co-worker who brings fish every Tuesday and microwaves it, stinking up the entire office for hours on end?

Obviously these are all different examples and can be argued as such, but really, the underlying issues are the same. I'm just curious as to what people's views are for what's socially acceptable.
    This 2 are interesting arguments. If he was their boss, they would probably stay quite, unless they have very friendly atmosphere in work..

Comparision to stinky fish is valid.. but its probably more acceptable to have stinky food in work than stinky fragrance. Why ? That is good question. But also I think that people wouldnt take it so serious of someone comments bad on their stinky sausage . Problem is that fragrance choice is more personal thing so it can hurt our feelings too..
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

I often get extreme dizzy spells, whenever I see a busty female co-worker wearing a tight or low-cut top but do I complain? Nah, live and let live, I say...

eff 'em.

I used to work in a huge office full of out in the open desks. One lady I worked around wore Estee, which I really find offensive and a nother wore vintage Femme which I consider(ed) delicious. I had dealings with both but simpley never mentioned the Estee but was all about bragging and sniffing the Femme. It was just the way things were. I would never dream of embarrassing the really lovely and competent lady who happened to wear a fragrance I did not particularly like at all. That's really tacky.

i'll try 5 sprays of Cuir d Arabie tomorrow at work...i don't think theyll notice :P