Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: I got SLAMMED for my SOTD at work today!!!

Pollux, exactly. It's not only for fragrances, it's about any hobby, if you are seen for just a moment whilst reading a comic book, voila, you are "that comic book guy" if the jackass wants to insult you or if he doesn't have anything reasonable to say.

Now I've heard it all! Sorry to hear about your experience.

As for the male co-worker, it appears that his problem was psychosomatic - couldn't get his head around that fact that a man was wearing an 'old-lady' perfume and freaked...

I dont want to be ass but I dont know what is wrong about 2 guys stating their opinion about someones fragrance. Maybe they were bit harsh, but if someone in my work smells like shit and that smell would bother me, i'd told them too. Office is shared place, people shouldnt wear fragrances that bother anyone to small closed spaces that they share with other people. Its almost like if someone smokes in office where smoking is not allowed.. It would bother me too.

I try to wear to work only fragrances that dont bother anyone... its not about other people respecting me.. .but about me respecting majority.

You learned lesson about Aoud Leather. There are still many fragrances that you can enjoy and wear to work, that won't bother anyone and maybe even get compliments. Life goes on .
    Last edited by dreamer81; 22nd September 2010 at 05:05 PM.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Millesime Imperial
    3. Lalique Encre Noire

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Dior Homme
    3. Eau Des Baux
    Currently wearing: Jaļpur Homme by Boucheron

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    I dont want to be ass but I dont know what is wrong about 2 guys stating their opinion about someones fragrance. Maybe they were bit harsh, but if someone in my work smells like shit and that smell would bother me, i'd told them too. Office is shared place, people shouldnt wear fragrances that bother anyone to small closed spaces that they share with other people. Its almost like if someone smokes in office where smoking is not allowed.. It would bother me too.

I try to wear to work only fragrances that dont bother anyone... its not about other people respecting me.. .but about me respecting majority.

You learned lesson about Aoud Leather. There are still many fragrances that you can enjoy and wear to work, that won't bother anyone and maybe even get compliments. Life goes on .
    Point taken but I don't want to wear Acqua Di Gio for the rest of my working life (in the same way I wouldn't want to hear shitty daytime radio being played in the background of an office setting).

Sometimes, going out of one's way not to offend is offensive in itself...

Here's a question: Knowing that people sometimes wear inappropriate attire to work, would negative comments with regards to what they're wearing clothes-wise be viewed similarly fragrance-wise?

Do you think comments come because you're a co-worker and it's "safe" to do so? What if you were their manager? Would they still make a comment to you, or behind your back?

Would about the co-worker who brings fish every Tuesday and microwaves it, stinking up the entire office for hours on end?

Obviously these are all different examples and can be argued as such, but really, the underlying issues are the same. I'm just curious as to what people's views are for what's socially acceptable.
    The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    Here's a question: Knowing that people sometimes wear inappropriate attire to work, would negative comments with regards to what they're wearing clothes-wise be viewed similarly fragrance-wise?
    Well, atleast you DONT HAVE TO look at someones clothes if you dont like them or if they offend you. But you have to breath same air as everyone else so its different to me.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    3. Lalique Encre Noire

TOP 3 cold weather:

2. Dior Homme
    3. Eau Des Baux

What's socially unacceptable is being a dick about your co-worker's fragrance. If it's really that bad there are discreet ways of saying something. Being rude in the office is never acceptable. If they're rude about fragrance, they're not doubt idiots about many other social graces. Overall, that kind of behavior is indicative of immaturity, which is never acceptable in the workplace.

Now, in terms of socially acceptable fragrance in the workplace: best to go light on the trigger, best to avoid anything that you know is considered "loud" or on the edgy side. No Joop! in the office, please.

All that stated, it's likely that all of us will make an error of judgment when it comes to workplace fragrances. Really, it's no big deal. But obnoxious co-workers rudely and/or publicly calling you out on it - yes, that is a big deal. Completely unacceptable behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post

Do you think comments come because you're a co-worker and it's "safe" to do so? What if you were their manager? Would they still make a comment to you, or behind your back?

Would about the co-worker who brings fish every Tuesday and microwaves it, stinking up the entire office for hours on end?

Obviously these are all different examples and can be argued as such, but really, the underlying issues are the same. I'm just curious as to what people's views are for what's socially acceptable.
    This 2 are interesting arguments. If he was their boss, they would probably stay quite, unless they have very friendly atmosphere in work..

Comparision to stinky fish is valid.. but its probably more acceptable to have stinky food in work than stinky fragrance. Why ? That is good question. But also I think that people wouldnt take it so serious of someone comments bad on their stinky sausage . Problem is that fragrance choice is more personal thing so it can hurt our feelings too..
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    3. Lalique Encre Noire

TOP 3 cold weather:

2. Dior Homme
    3. Eau Des Baux

I often get extreme dizzy spells, whenever I see a busty female co-worker wearing a tight or low-cut top but do I complain? Nah, live and let live, I say...

eff 'em.

I used to work in a huge office full of out in the open desks. One lady I worked around wore Estee, which I really find offensive and a nother wore vintage Femme which I consider(ed) delicious. I had dealings with both but simpley never mentioned the Estee but was all about bragging and sniffing the Femme. It was just the way things were. I would never dream of embarrassing the really lovely and competent lady who happened to wear a fragrance I did not particularly like at all. That's really tacky.

i'll try 5 sprays of Cuir d Arabie tomorrow at work...i don't think theyll notice :P