Code of Conduct
    Banned

Default Sweet Redemption (The End) By Kilian ~ New Fragrance

By Kilian will launch Sweet Redemption, the tenth and final fragrance in the L’Oeuvre Noire collection.

The notes for the sweet powdery woods fragrance include orange blossom, vanilla, myrrh, opopanax, benzoin and incense.

Default Re: Sweet Redemption (The End) By Kilian ~ New Fragrance

Thanks - the name is pretty apt . . orange flower hovering over a biblical base - wow!

I'm now officially hovering - look forward to hearing more about this, guess he saved dessert till last. I like benzoin, I can manage oppoponax if it's weighted right (Nereides is a bit much, but still cool), myrrh is intriguing etc. etc. Let's see where we get some news from on this one - interesting mix.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 13th June 2011 at 03:42 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Yummm- sounds very good ! Thanks Teger !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Sounds delicious, if not hugely original, at first glance.

I hope the "sweet" in "sweet powdery woods" will not provoke a massive pancreatic response.

Nooo Im fiending for Kilians at the moment and this sounds fantastic , is Calice Becker the nose ?

That sounds like something I at least have to get a sample of!

Sounds sort of interesting.

I am a HUGE By Kilian fan!!! I absolutely love A Taste Of Heaven!!! My wife wears Beyond Love which smells great on her...Sweet Redemption sounds interesting...it certainly has notes in it that I like alot in other fragrances.....

Basenotes Plus

Probably too sweet for my tastes but anything with myrrh, frankincense & opoponax gets my attention.

Basenotes Plus

At the SF sniff in May, Kilian talked about this one. The notes sounded incredible to me...some of my very faves...so I really hope I don't like it or I'm in a few hundred dollars worth of trouble...
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

It all depends on which note dominate, but I'd love an orange blossom and myrrh fragrance!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Probably too sweet for my tastes but anything with myrrh, frankincense & opoponax gets my attention.
    That's what I thought + benzoin.

But it depends on which note is prominent.

for swap/sale:

Hope that the oriental aspects are the most intense ones on this frag. Also, if this is the final scent of the series, will Kilian start another one or focus on the oud series?

Arent there 2 more to come in the Oud series ? Oooo I wonder what he has lined up for us next ?????

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Nooo Im fiending for Kilians at the moment and this sounds fantastic , is Calice Becker the nose ?
    Yes, Calice Becker is the nose.

Mikey likey...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Arent there 2 more to come in the Oud series ? Oooo I wonder what he has lined up for us next ?????
    They seem to anouce their scents years ahead of their actual releases. I think I remember that the next two ouds will be musk oud and amber oud. And when we saw him in SF he mentioned something called The Last Temptation coming also.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    They seem to anouce their scents years ahead of their actual releases. I think I remember that the next two ouds will be musk oud and amber oud. And when we saw him in SF he mentioned something called The Last Temptation coming also.
    You are soooo fortunate to have gotten to go to the signings. I discovered the scents like a week or two after the signings were over so you know I'm PISSED since I am not obsessed with the fragrances! Can't WAIT to smell the Amber Oud and the Sweet Temptation!

I've been sampling this for two days now. Calice Becker is one of my favorite noses. Longevity is short. If you enjoy sillage, it's room filling. It smells completely different if you sniff your arm or you just smell the room filling sillage, which is a major plus in my book.

If there ever was a true unisex scent, then Sweet Redemption is one. Believe it or not, I think that's the main problem with it. It seems lost without a gender. Like a scent in need of a sex change. Like driving in a foreign city without a GPS. Like a blind date.
    Like a Deer on the freeway. Like a beer without hops.

My wife was getting ready to buy me a bottle of Rose Oud (a Calice Becker Masterpiece) when I told her I wanted to sample Sweet Redemption first. When Kilian mentions "the dark and mysterious poetry of Jim Morrison as he seemingly forebode his own demise" I was interested. After all Jim Morrison did have a concert in my High School Gym in 1968, and I never did forget that wonderful night. Sorry, us old farts like to reminisce.

The notes for this scent don't really give you any idea what it smells like. I'll just wait for others to comment while I go to The Kilian website to purchase a bottle of Rose Oud. A decidedly feminine scent, but one my wife says I manage to pull off because of my masculine personality. At least I won't feel lost wearing it.

Count me in as a Calice Becker fan too. I sampled this recently. If you like Orange blossom notes, like me, this is a beauty.
    The whole scent , especially the orange blossom note reminded me of APOM Pour homme from Francis Kurkdjian.
    APOM is more simple in structure though. Sillage is indeed great, and very natural smelling. It is unisex alright, but I am not sure if I have the guts to wear this, cause to me it´s slightly more on the feminine side. Maybe due to the vanilla note. This conclusion is after one sampling, I wil wear this more the next days, but so far I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Count me in as a Calice Becker fan too. I sampled this recently. If you like Orange blossom notes, like me, this is a beauty.
    The whole scent , especially the orange blossom note reminded me of APOM Pour homme from Francis Kurkdjian.
    APOM is more simple in structure though. Sillage is indeed great, and very natural smelling. It is unisex alright, but I am not sure if I have the guts to wear this, cause to me it´s slightly more on the feminine side. Maybe due to the vanilla note. This conclusion is after one sampling, I wil wear this more the next days, but so far I like it.
    I guess I just don't care much for Orange Blossom, because I don't like APOM either.

Basenotes Member

Where was everyone smelling this? My Saks in San Francisco was supposed to notify me when they got them available for pre-order. I ordered some samples of it yesterday but I would hope the SF Saks didn't get the tester in without notifying me :/

Quote Originally Posted by PassionateJourney View Post
    Where was everyone smelling this? My Saks in San Francisco was supposed to notify me when they got them available for pre-order. I ordered some samples of it yesterday but I would hope the SF Saks didn't get the tester in without notifying me :/

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...edemption.html

Quote Originally Posted by PassionateJourney View Post
    Luckyscent has a generous give away of this ...i took part yesterday and a free sample is on the way
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Banned

Blah. It's orange blossom/neroli with no new twists or anything original. This series concludes with a dull fart.
    Last edited by teger; 5th July 2011 at 06:18 PM.

Basenotes Institution

If it's anything like Narcisse Noir by Caron - I'll be interested. I should sample it.

Grabbed a sample at Bergdorf in NYC today. I am going to hold off on commenting at this point except to say it's not what I expected. Somehow I thought it was more of a gourmand. I need to revisit this with an open mind.

I just received a Lucky Scent sample and dabbed a bit on my hand. I like it. It is sweeeeeeet...almost like bubble gum. Actually, it reminds me a bit of Encens & Bubblegum by Etat Libre d'Orange, but it's way more potent. I'm still waiting for the 'encens' part, but I get a little hay, too (what is that?). Thumbs up from me so far. I love Calice Becker, and I love this style of fragrance. I'll be interested in hearing others' opinions, good, bad or indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by teger View Post
    Blah. It's orange blossom/neroli with no new twists or anything original. This series concludes with a dull fart.
    Thank you for being so succinct. You said it all with as few words as possible, and all true.

Come on Kilian and Calice, Sweet Redemption could have, and should have, been a knock out.

I had hopes for this! From the notes listed I supposed this would be similar to APOM but deeper and more mysterious with the incense base. The notes are also a very close match to MPG Bois du Turquie which is a stunningly beautiful fragrance of orange flower over incense and woods; but BdT also suffers from lack of direction, no central theme, no backbone, all similar descriptions to thebeck's review of it. I guess I can pull back my eagerness to test it now . . . I'll get to it when I get to it.

I actually received a sample from Luckyscent of this and was quite pleased with it. the opening blast is sweet but has a nice orange blossom note in it which I usually dont care too much for. But the drydown to me is the star. Slightly sweet yet it has a comforting incense myrrh note that keeps me smelling my wrists. I actually may spring for a bottle. Took me 2-3 wearings to really appreciate it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cairomerta View Post
    But the drydown to me is the star. Slightly sweet yet it has a comforting incense myrrh note that keeps me smelling my wrists.
    This sprung to life while working out, several hours after applying one spray to the wrist. I agree the base is the star, though that's not initially apparent. The myrrh in this is slightly sweet, devoid of any bitterness, and it smells sparkling with a rootbeer-like buoyancy (lol?). It's nice.
    Last edited by teger; 7th July 2011 at 10:08 PM.

By Kilian's standard black lacquer box with black satin lining, though beautiful, do not represent this fragrance. There's something incongruent there. I'd love to see this packaged in all white. Perhaps they can learn something from Tom Ford who presented Neroli Portifino in a light blue bottle rather than black, like the rest of the line.

I received two samples from Luckyscent over the weekend and now they are gone. I found this so beautiful that I immediately ordered the travel refills. It starts with lots of orange, not only orange flower but it is somewhat green, then the vanilla comes in and for a few minutes it reminds me of Love with the volume turned high on the orange. The drydown is well blended because I cannot make out any distinct notes of myrrh or incense: the drydown is sweet woods. I expected this to be very gourmand, but it veers towards non-gourmand territory just in time.
    Evenstar

I cant wait to try it , hurry up HN !!!

Basenotes Institution

I see lilybelle mentioned the 'bubble gum' note that I also remembering reading on another fragrance blog. The comments on this one are all over the place.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Very average.

Great orange blossom opening, very nicely executed. Perhaps a hint of vanilla and a slight slight bit of honey help to accentuate the sweetness of the orange. That's about it really. Perhaps should have looked to add more vanilla and definitely more honey-like accords!
    Last edited by boosh; 22nd July 2011 at 11:31 PM.

I received my bottle of this from Bergdorf and I LOVE it. This is a wonderful scent. The way the incense balances out the orange blossom and vanilla is beautiful. This needs to be sprayed on for sure. Lasts all day too.

I loved it, but I don't get the strong incense, I wish I did. Perhaps when I get my travel kit and I can spray with abandon.
    Evenstar

I just love this scent. The drydown is so smooth and really well balanced.

As a note:

I was checking out Kilians facebook page and one of the fans posted that they were upset that this was his last scent but he replied to her that he will actually be launching a new collection in 2012 so we have some more wonderful scents to look forward to!!

Sweet Redemption. I get a little hint of MPG Bois du Turquie . . . through the fog version of APOM . . . then freshly unwrapped, unchewed bubble gum . . . and finally fresh unwrapped vinyl pool toy inflatable scent . . . and thats all. No redemption for me. I simply did not like this fragrance. It is sweet and mysterious but not very deep.

i didn't like it either. I still prefer BtB & StH.

Basenotes Institution

My take on Sweet Redemption. As usual, it is of very good quality as all the Kilian's are.
    Real oomph of a low pitched ,purring orange bloosm- thick and honeyed . I get a chocolate note somewhere lurking beneath the orange blossom plus a bit of myrrh . An excellent orange blossom !!!!!
    When applied to my skin, the liquid remains shiny for sometime on it ( - the high concentration of oils in the fragrance ? ) - always a good sign to me. Puredistance I was the other fragrance that did this on my skin.
    Longevity is excellent as usual - survived handwashing as well.
    This is good stuff for anyone in love with orange blossom or on a orange blossom kick.

A beautiful orange with a vanilla base,this is in excellent fragrance.

I tried it lightly and i can't smell much out of it. I've detected some hints of the powdery/dusty vainilla of Habit Rouge and some points in common with other neroli/orange flower frags like APOM. Now that it's settling down is getting some character and i can smell it better. Topnotes were barely noticeable.

I'll give it a proper wearing before i made my mind up about this one.

Got a lot of Iris right away, I think, then it moved into an orange blossom with vanilla related notes. Projected really well even off a small spray and lasted a solid 10 full hours. The drydown was mostly orange blossom, honey, and vanilla notes. maybe some light incense in there.

clearly it's a quality frag, well made with good ingredients. Not overly 'niche', ie weird, so very wearable. Probably ok for the right guy, but better suited for a woman IMO. If price is a consideration, pass, but if you're a collector or aren't looking to add new types of smells to the collection (ie it's not that original) then it's good.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress,
    Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura
    HARD TO FIND -
    Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, Champacca Absolute and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I tried this when I was in London recently, ( a sales asistant in Selfridges advised me to go and try it ).
    It was really outstanding and the only one that impressed me from Kilian. It´s way above all of their other offerings.
    .....it´s a morbid name for a fragrance though.....The End !!
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

I'd like to try this on one arm and AT's Orange Star on the other, do a little comparison.

I really enjoy this scent, but I understand Beck's ''lost'' sentiment. While I have no qualms with anything in the gender spectrum, Sweet Redemption is a fascinating thing that seems to be missing a certain note to crystallize and focus it into a definite statement. I'm not sure I can get much more specific than that, as it's easily the most interesting and well-composed By Kilian soliflore, but I'd still rather wear Beyond Love and Love & Tears.

I've got Orange Star on one arm and Sweet Redemption on the other. I thought they'd be good to compare, though they are nothing alike. I like the opening of Sweet Redemption better, it has a lighter touch to the orange blossom and smells more realistic than the candied aldehyde blast of Orange Star. But what I don't like about Sweet Redemption is that it seems much less interesting and kind of boring and safe by comparison. Another thing I'm not liking about Sweet Redemption is that Vanilla is peeping in too early for me.

15 minutes in, Orange Star has a weird rubber component and the overall fragrance is much more potent, the candied orange is cranked up on crack while Sweet Redemption is still under the covers waiting for morning coffee service. And where Orange Star is weird with rubber and a sickly orange candy, Sweet Redemption has an ever so slight plastic powder note that distracts from its coziness.

Maybe more later when the basenotes kick in.

I have had about 8 small vial samples and am beginning to really put it a # 2 right behind STH which is my fav or Kilian. (and one of my top 5 of all time) so its up there... I cant identify the notes etc...I just love the emotion it exudes on me...makes me feel great and thats all that matters to me