Code of Conduct

Default Piper Nigrum by Lorenzo Villoresi

Wow! Just stumbled across this niche fragrance, and all were bad reviews from the folks here. Who owns this one? I have never seen a fragrance that had so many bad reviews. Now, this got me interested...A niche fragrance that only the inventor could love? Wow!!!

Default Re: Piper Nigrum by Lorenzo Villoresi

Luke, I've heard MANY people sing it's praises. In fact a few years ago it went through a period that it was very popular around here. Personally I don't like it, it's just too much kitchen spices and not enough wearable fragrance for me. But that is a trend I have noticed in all LV scents, they aren't really wearable IMO, they all have a very "raw" feeling about them.

By the way, you want a niche fragrance that is universally hated, and even it's created probably doesn't like? Secretions Magnefique.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Piper Nigrum is without doubt one of the boldest and innovative fragrance I own, a real masterpiece. It has a permanent spot in my wardrobe alongwith his other masterpieces -- Spezie, Uomo and Acqua di Colonia. He is one perfumer I greatly respect and willing to forgive the rare mishap he concocted called Musk.
    Last edited by Amit; 4th September 2009 at 07:45 PM.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I own it and really enjoy it.. not only does it have tremendous sillage and longevity, it's one of the most unique and ethereal fragrances out there. Basically you have a subtle mint & fresh cracked pepper opening with a warm amber dry-down. What's not to like?

This is part of Villoresi's "Fantasy Fragrance" collection which breaks away from the traditions and explores new grounds. Piper Nigrum is spicy but not to the point that it's overwhelming or overbearing for people around you. I've received many compliments wearing it.

Villoresi's fragrances, to me, are very wearable - Uomo and Acqua di Colonia being part of a genre of fragrances that has almost become cliche they are so well-received and widely loved. His take on Vetiver is unforgettable - any vetiver fan owes it to him/herself to try it. Last but not least there is Sandalo which is not only easy to wear - it's gorgeous, natural sandalwood at its finest.

I believe PN received a lot of praise when it first came out. The reviews don't always accurately depict what people here, as a majority, think on a certain fragrance. Villoresi's lack of availability in North America is also a factor to consider, though if you go to Milano there's huge respect for LV.

Off-Scenter

Piper Nigrum is a divisive fragrance, with ardent adherents and vehement detractors. Such passionate responses often indicate a fragrance of unusual boldness or unconventional composition. Piper Nigrum is a bold fragrance that places emphasis on ingredients (black pepper, mint) that rankle many noses, and please others. I actually enjoy the stuff, but I need to be in the proper mood for it.

As for your reaction? You'll just have to try it for yourself.

im yet to encounter an LV offering which doesnt deliver.. there is a raw beauty to it..PN opens with a hardcore vick vaporub/mentholated accords..whats to follow is one of the best accord of pepper and spices..mellow, soft and powdery.. a definite must try if you like evocative scents...

my other fav's from this line are Yerbamate, Uomo, Incensi Piper Nigrum, Sandalo, Vetiver & Musk

I should have mentioned this as well - I can't imagine wearing Piper Nigrum even two days in a row. I actually like it on cool, crisp summer evenings. The longevity is just incredible - better than any other Villoresi fragrance on my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    .. I actually enjoy the stuff, but I need to be in the proper mood for it.

As the previous posters have pointed out the benefits of piper nigrum better than i would have been able too i just want to add that this fragrance has not only brought my attention to Villoresis (in a positive way) but much rather to pepper as a note in frangrances. Such a great use of something that probably anyone knows (from the kitchen as has been pointed out, along with the nutmeg, peppermint etc) but that took me quite some time to figure out and get used to. Now i love it and i havent run across a better interpretation of it yet.
    Great stuff and on my to-buy-niche-list.

I did sell my bottle but enjoyed it very much while I had it. Very physical frag, asskicking mint. If you like Villoresi's style, which some find crude. But I think he basically just enjoys big, aromatic, natural-feeling fragrances and he makes them very well.

I LOVE Piper Nigrum top to bottom. It's one of my very favorites. It starts out as peppermint and fennel and dries down to a beautiful peppery amber. I have to be careful when I wear it though because my partner thinks the top notes smell like "burning corpses." WTF?

Other Villoresi favorites of mine are Spezie, Yerbamate, and Vetiver, but honestly I love most of his line.

A masterpiece if you ask me. A spicy-pepper fragrance lover's dream, just not for me.
    Sales thread here

I still have some left & still like it. Not something for every single day but if you like pepper now & again this is the one.

It reminds me of one I had in the 90's named RAX but I don't remember by whom and I can't seem to find it anymore.

On my skin, it's just simply heavy pepper with a little spice thrown in. It's unique.

Might make you sneeze tho . . . . & yes I am keeding.
    Last edited by SoGent; 5th September 2009 at 12:34 AM.

Fantastic stuff .
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Piper Nigrum was the #1 most wanted fragrance on these boards at one time but those that dominate this board now diss Piper Nigrum and are more interested in Knize Ten and Aoud (oud?) from Cambodia.

LV has fell out of favor to Montale and Amouage.

I love the perfume's deployment of mint in an oriental/spicy context (such an original approach to the ingredient), but at the same time the total composition has a coherence problem. I need balance.
    Last edited by Hide & Reason; 5th September 2009 at 01:40 AM.

Are you serious? I love this one.
    There is a singular joy in the experience of receiving perfume by mail. It is one of life's great little pleasures - one that more should have the pleasure of knowing.

Basenotes Institution

Reading through the responses on this thread, I am learning that Piper Nigrum is really a serious mint fragrance. I tested it once, at the SMN boutique in LA, and I guess I remember the pepper accord the most...I honestly never really thought of PN as a 'mint' fragrance. Now, I want to smell it again. I love mint.

I own this and love it. It's very unique but wearable. I agree with the poster who mentioned how amazingly well this works on summer evenings. Mint and amber were mentioned also but I'm surprised the anise and the wonderful myrrh were not mentioned so far. Anise, myrrh, amber along with the pepper accord stand out for me in this fragrance. Another thing, pepper usually doesn't work well for me and here it's great.
    I don't perceive PN as kitchen spicy at all. Spezie, yes but not this one. Of all the LV's I've tried, I decided to go with the 3 you see in my wardrobe (Vetiver, Piper Nigrum and Sandalo). I fell in love with PN from the first drop I tested out of the vial. I might also go with Yerbamate in the future, which is very interesting.

Sounds very interesting. Nothing like any other frags, that's for sure. I have 8 collectibles mini bottles of Tiffany for Men (.25 oz each), if anyone would like to trade. They are like the one here on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tiffany-25-oz-Co...3286.m20.l1116

Soon, my friend

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Reading through the responses on this thread, I am learning that Piper Nigrum is really a serious mint fragrance. I tested it once, at the SMN boutique in LA, and I guess I remember the pepper accord the most...I honestly never really thought of PN as a 'mint' fragrance. Now, I want to smell it again. I love mint.

Due to its strong, bold character it is sure to get polarized reviews. Though some will swear by this scent, I personally find it atrocious! There are fragrances that use pepper in a creative way, such as Dunhill Edition or Chanel Platinum. That being said, Piper Nigrum to me smells like someone emptied out their spice cabinet and made a fragrance out of it - Yuck! Not appealing at all! I wouldn't dream of wearing this in public!

Very disappointed.

brb wearing Piper Nigrum :P

After I sampled most of the Creeds, Bonds, etc., I really thought there isn't much of a difference between niche and designer scents. That was until I discovered LV...I love how bold most of his creations are, there is no middle ground, you either hate 'em or love 'em. I wish I could afford to buy all of his fragrances...sigh.

Piper Nigrum was my intoduction to the house of Lorenzo Villoresi but after some time with this scent I found I really only loved the opening notes with a hot/cold pepper and mint chord. After a few hours Piper Nigrum becomes more of an average aromatic scent and is kind of dated smelling. I would still give it a thumbs up though.

But the others from Villoresi still hold endless fascination for me - primarily: Vetiver, Colonia, Uomo and Patchoul. He has a unique way of finding the earthy heart of a fragrance idea. This house doesn't get enough attention in my opinion. True class!

Villoresi produces some of the strangest, most challenging scents I have tried. I don't always love their stuff, but I rarely find it boring. Their fragrances are the Ornette Coleman of the fragrance world; dissonant, discordant, and sometimes disjointed, but all of that makes for some fascinating fragrance testing.

I am not a lover of mint in fragrances. Most mint notes bring up a toothpaste association for me that I have tried to block out, but often ruins fragrances for me. Piper Nigrum is an exception though. It is not a perfect fragrance. It sometimes feels like a jumble of notes tied loosely together without any unifying theme. But ultimately, I find myself enjoying it every time I wear it.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Quote Originally Posted by weylin View Post
    Piper Nigrum was the #1 most wanted fragrance on these boards at one time but those that dominate this board now diss Piper Nigrum and are more interested in Knize Ten and Aoud (oud?) from Cambodia.

LV has fell out of favor to Montale and Amouage.
    Interesting to note the change in trends on this board...

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits