Code of Conduct

Default Musc Ravageur. It`s unisex, but...

..but do you think it`s more on the masculine or feminine side of the scale?

Default Re: Musc Ravageur. It`s unisex, but...

More for guys IMO.

Hmm, and here I am thinking it's more feminine due to its intense sweetness.
    When it comes to scent, masculine/feminine really is in the nose of the beholder, I guess ...

I wouldn't say it's masculine per se, just more suitable for guys, not in a masculine way.

Far better on women, imho.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Sur la Plage

Genderless
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I think it has no genitals.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    More for guys IMO.
    Agree.

i think it's more in the middle between unisex and masculine..

I don't consider any type of musk for women, in my mind that right there makes it for a man....period

It smells like cocoa powder to my nose, which puts it slightly more into the femme side, IMHO.

Slightly on the masculine side.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Genderless
    Agreed.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

It goes either way, but I'm not into the intensely heavy sweetness and relatively banal (but very decent) drydown that gets even more piercingly sweet as it goes. I do love to smell it, though. My girlfriend has worn it for years, and it always smells extremely good.

And to address the previous post about musk not being for women.......I don't even know where to start. First of all, there are hundreds of vastly different musks out there (many smell very clean), and MR isn't even all that musky. Certainly not in a genuinely animalic way. But mainly I'll just say that yeah, musk is good for women. And so is any other animalic ingredient. The classic feminine fragrances have always contained far more animalics than the masculines have. It's one of the main reasons that they're often such exceptional compositions with that plush velvety texture, and a feel so natural it's as if the fragrance is just oozing from the pores.

And why can't you people figure out these things on you're own? Is it unisex, bla bla bla. Only you can really figure that out. Try to feel it instead of thinking about it so much.

Should I buy this or that? Is it too formal? Give me a break.

I've been here a long time, and I've never seen so many unnecessary threads.

There's a search engine, man. Give it a shot. It'll usually give you all you need. Or you just could just keep keep starting the childish threads.

Should I buy MI or SMW? ...............It really is starting to sound like the Wal Mart of fragrance forums around here.
    Last edited by pluran; 19th September 2010 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    It goes either way, but I'm not into the intensely heavy sweetness and relatively banal (but very decent) drydown that gets even more piercingly sweet as it goes. I do love to smell it, though. My girlfriend has worn it for years, and it always smells extremely good.

And to address the previous post about musk not being for women.......I don't even know where to start. First of all, there are hundreds of vastly different musks out there (many smell very clean), and MR isn't even all that musky. Certainly not in a genuinely animalic way. But mainly I'll just say that yeah, musk is good for women. And so is any other animalic ingredient. The classic feminine fragrances have always contained far more animalics than the masculines have. It's one of the main reasons that they're often such exceptional compositions with that plush velvety texture, and a feel so natural it's as if the fragrance is just oozing from the pores.

And why can't you people figure out these things on you're own? Is it unisex, bla bla bla. Only you can really figure that out. Try to feel it instead of thinking about it so much.

There's a search engine, man. Give it a shot. It'll usually give you all you need. Or you just could just keep keep starting the childish threads.

Should I buy MI or SMW? ...............It really is starting to sound like the Wal Mart of fragrance forums around here.
    well, sorry man, but why do you bother to answer? You don`t need to answer or read those type of questions if you`r not intested!? No mather what the question is, it`s sometimes intresting to hear about others oppinions.. "Childish threads"? Not everyone here is an expert, you fragrance-snob...

I'm not personally nuts about Musc Ravageur, but I don't really see any particular gender in it.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Iirc there are 2 versions of MR: one 'oil' & the other EDP. I find the musk to be a tad more prominent in the former. I'm also inclined to think that the sweetness lends it a gourmandy & rather feminine appeal.

Btw, Captcrunch, pray tell why you won't consider 'musk' in women's perfumes? Musk, along with its derivatives, is probably more common in women's frags then it is in men's...

There is a sample of Musc Ravageur comming my way, and I am wondering the same thing as the topic starter. I do find the mixed reactions highly interesting.

Your first part of the post is helpfull and interesting. What amazes me is the second part. This forum has no use if we can't discuss topics like these.

I'm sure you don't need to ask these questions, if I look at your wardrobe. That is absolutely gigantic. You have tested so much, I'm sure you can get your head around anything with your experience. But not everyone has the experience you have. When you are not sure about something, you ask it, that is exactly why this forum is here, so we can discuss things and see what other people think about it.

You should be proud that people come here to ask you advise. Instead of that, you're calling them names. Please do not post an answer in these topics just to increase your post count, but stay away. And please open some high quality topics, we will admire you and kiss your feet, we Wal-Mart-childish-people.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame;1936407_
    Btw, Captcrunch, pray tell why you won't consider 'musk' in women's perfumes? Musk, along with its derivatives, is probably more common in women's frags then it is in men's...
    I suppose I should explain myself before I anger the perfume gods. Let me start by saying i have very little experience with womens perfume. However I have smelled musk in perfume and am aware that it is commonly used. I personally just don't like it on a woman. To me it creates a "skanky" smell. Like that women had been rolling around with an unwashed man all day. Again, this is what I get out of it. My nose tells me that the scent of musk is emitted by a man. Perhaps it has something to do with musk only being derived from the male musk deer.

But everyone has a different opinion, and that is mine on the matter

I don't know, it depends on the day i wear o think. Somedays it seems very gourmand and spicy, and in others this one goes on me on a animalic musky direction...

Quote Originally Posted by Captcrunch View Post
    I suppose I should explain myself before I anger the perfume gods. Let me start by saying i have very little experience with womens perfume. However I have smelled musk in perfume and am aware that it is commonly used. I personally just don't like it on a woman. To me it creates a "skanky" smell. Like that women had been rolling around with an unwashed man all day. Again, this is what I get out of it. My nose tells me that the scent of musk is emitted by a man. Perhaps it has something to do with musk only being derived from the male musk deer.

There are several types of musk. Some smell sweet, others smell animalic and skanky and others have a skinscent aroma like someone had a bath and a light aroma of the bath was retained on skin. Musks are a handy family of materials to be used in a fragrance...

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

That's what I suspected; I don't enjoy overtly skanky scents either but sometimes if I'm in the mood, these animalics just go straight into 'visceral sweet spot'. But more often it depends on the perfumer's skills in callibrating the musk element or counterbalancing it with other complimentary accords in the composition. Anyway musk is pretty much all synthetic these days; the musk deer is one of the endangered species after all. Btw, 'white musk' is another musk derivative commonly used in fragrances but I don't find it all that musky. But hey, tastes vary after all so it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    well, sorry man, but why do you bother to answer? You don`t need to answer or read those type of questions if you`r not intested!? No mather what the question is, it`s sometimes intresting to hear about others oppinions.. "Childish threads"? Not everyone here is an expert, you fragrance-snob...
    Please exercise some restraint, I enjoy reading Pluran's opinions (+ reviews) & that of yours, and I wouldn't subscribe to censorship in any shape or form...
    Let your nose be your pilot

This is so weird! I blind bought MR and really like it. In the beginning it smelled mostly like cinnamon/chocolate, but today it smells heavily of tobacco, honey and a bit ashtray - a lot like SL Fumerie Turque. I really like this transformation, but I don't know how it's possible. Never got any of these notes before. Maybe my SOTD, Silver Musk by Nasomatto, has done something to my nose... Anyone else got those notes?

Unisex, definitely.

Basenotes Institution

Definitely genderless. ( The EDP is the one I like, I found the oil quite sweaty but 'genderless sweaty' . )
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I don't consider any type of musk for women, in my mind that right there makes it for a man....period
    I'm of the same mind

It smells like cookies to me! It is very nice.
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by Furriner View Post
    I'm not personally nuts about Musc Ravageur, but I don't really see any particular gender in it.
    Me too. I'd say a perfect definition of a unisex scent that can be worn by anyone who it works for. My overwhelming sense though is that is purchased and worn a lot more by men.

BINGO

You'd be surprised how many women buy it for themselves from the Barney's here...

I considered that you never tried fragrances like Narciso Rodriguez for Her, which are scentered on creamy, white musks and smell gorgeous on women.

The strong smell of clove on a woman is definetly not sexy IMO. Way more for the guys.... maybe the MR with the dropper which is the Oil is more suited for women since it pretty much skipps the opening.
    My Youtube Review Channel: www.youtube.com/cutlasssupremesl

This benchmark scale is subjective my friend....there is no correct answer.

masculine.......by far?

Basenotes Plus

Either/or.

I, for one, agree with this. Lately there have been a lot of threads that are redundant in every possible way. It's not a sign of healthy and open atmosphere, that when someone points this out, it's somehow inappropriate or personal. It's not. Would it be better to keep up the conspiracy of silence, where everyone knows that the boards are full of irrelevant threads, but in the name of some inexplicit rule, no one speaks of it? I'd actually like to hear, if instead of starting a thread, I should have used a search-function or whatever. I wouldn't take it as an attack on my persona.

Usually the only answer people come up with is, that "you don't have to read a thread if you don't like it". This is a weak argument. I know I don't have to step on dog's pile, I still prefer my city without them. It should be clear, that a forum with informative and thoughtful threads is better than one with the kind of threads pluran mentioned. There are alot of new members around; not only is it right, but also a duty of older members to tell, if a thread is unnecessary. It's beyond me, why this is always seen as elitism or snobbery.

+2

Does it really f***ing matter? Engage your brain, block out all the social conditioning bulls**t and judge for yourself...