Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Fragrances for Fall.

Fall and cool weather go together, falling leaves and frost on the pumpkin, so it is time to ready the Fall fragrance line-up. This would be a good opportunity to share your choices, new and old, for the Season. Categories are Halloween and the Holiday Season. I know there are a lot of experienced and creative Basenoters, so let's hear your ideas and experiences. Don't be shy.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 22nd September 2010 at 04:36 AM.

Default Re: Fragrances for Fall.

Not a typical fall fragrance per se, but I have worn Tabac Blond extrait exclusively in the past 3-4 days. It's crispy cold in the morning and comfortably warm during the day. I felt it was a perfect match with the top and heart notes in the morning and warming up during the day (base).

I got Soir de lune for my birthday and have been wearing it for the last week now. It seems to go beautiful with the weather growing more autumnal...
    But it could be that I am only addicted!

(PS I'm a big fan of Nikola Tesla!)

Sweet florientals and gourmands Hypnotic Poison,Hanae Mori,Burberry London and Brit....and classical scents all year around like Chanel 5,19 and Madame Rochas and Femme ...
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Blog Entries

Over the last few days l've been testing a bunch of amber samples, & unusually l find myself looking forward to some real autumnal weather so l can appreciate them to the full! l'm particularly taken with Ambra Nera by Farmacia SS. Annunziata which brings to mind a walk in the crisp autumn air with the leaves swirling around. Also sweet, comforting ambers like Amber Precieux by MPG, & Note Ambree by Micaleff, great for cozying up at home. l will also be turning to my beloved Magie Noire when it gets really cold out.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

In Autumn my thoughts turn to warming, dark fruity/ ambery scents such as
    Feminite Du Bois, Visa and Mauboussin.

I also revel in spicy perfumes as Christmas
    approaches : Cinnabar, Imperial Opoponax, Ambre Nera, Youth Dew Amber Nude,
    Mitsouko, Vol de Nuit and Lumiere Noire Pour Femme.

My "left-of-centre" scent for Autumn is Sienne L'Hiver by Duchaufour. It is unique and very
    impressionistic with notes of truffles, chestnuts, wet cobbles (how does he do that?) straw,
    olives, violet, smoke and leather.

Neil Morris's October is Autumn in a bottle.

Finally I love my gourmands at this time of year - Angel, Hypnotic Poison, Visa
    and Keiko Mecheri's Loukhoum Poudree.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

I'm not sure what I will want to wear this fall yet, the shape of things to come is still too hazy. Probably leather (Bandit, Aramis, Aromatics Elixir) and my old faithfuls; Feminité du Bois, Youth Dew, Ouarzazate.

Mauboussin, Sonia Rykiel Le Parfum and any of my tuberose scents - not decided which one yet.

Sur la Plage

Annick Goutal Sables
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

DeepSilence

For women i think The One by D&G could be one of the choices.

L'Heure Bleue, Parfum Sacre and Baghari - these say Autumn to me - and Ta'if is a great party fragrance year round. But then, I wear all my rose-based fragrances year-round for when I want a taste of summer!

Even though tonight around 11:00 pm it will officially be Autumn, there won't be any frost on the pumpkin around here for quite a while yet. We're still in the 90s/upper 80s F. Looking at last year's stats, I'll probably be wearing my same year round favorites most often. I fantasize about a new golden and mossy floral-chypre, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pimpinett View Post
    I'm not sure what I will want to wear this fall yet, the shape of things to come is still too hazy. Probably leather (Bandit, Aramis, Aromatics Elixir) and my old faithfuls; Feminité du Bois, Youth Dew, Ouarzazate.
    Yes!Bandit and Youth Dew !I forgot about them!Leather scents also!Kelly Caleche and Cuir de Lancome
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

I admit I have a difficult time accepting that summer's over - I love all the seasons including autumn and even winter, but I'm just not a fan of very cold weather. My perfumes actually do help me to feel warm and cozy though. Darker chypres and (fl)orientals mostly, and some gourmands.

Some of my favorites are -
    Chanel Coco, Coromandel, and Bois des Iles, Mystere de Rochas, Guerlain Iris Ganache, L'Instant edp, Samsara, Hermès Rouge, Rosine's Rose Kashmirie, Lalique le Parfum, L'Arte di Gucci, Deneuve, Gianni Versace, Roberto Cavali's Oro, L'Or de Torrente, Opium, Malle's Une Rose, Knowing, Rocher's 8e Jour, Euphoria, Keiko Mecheri's Loukhoum, Ungaro Diva, Angel, Dolce Vita, Ralph Lauren's Tuxedo and Safari....I could go on and on - I need a lot of comfort when it's chilly out!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Blog Entries

LOL! I have been aking this very question over on the MUA fragrance board today.

Sadly I am away from my beloved collection so cannot currently have the luxury of rediscovering / shopping my stash. Added to the fact that I am still tentatively discovering what work with my new body chemistry the following list is far from fully comprehensive. I have severely curtailed my choices otherwise I would not be able to complete and post before next week!

So here is a snapshot of some of the universal / classic autumnal scent categories and my personal faves in each:

1. A rich, spicy, animalic, ambery-leather fragrance, with a fantastically opulent rose note.

2. An austere incense with resinous pine note. It would be quietly radiant and bone-dry.

3. A comforting gourmand with a smoky, phenolic vanilla. There would be some dried fruit notes, like plum or apricot, some spices (cinnamon, cardamom, black pepper), and a woody base with labdanum and cedar.

4. An opulent luxe golden 'true' amber (possibly with vanilla)

5. An unapologetically feminine full bodied floral (possibly with vanilla and / or creamy woods)

6. An exotic spice train (or spice cabinet) of an Oriental

7. A mouthwatering autumnal spiced fruit compote featuring berries, pumpkins, apples or other seasonal produce.

8. Crisp air, dark greenery, falling leaves, loads of dry creamy woods - a walk in Autumnal Woods.

Mine:
    Gucci L'Arte di Gucci + just a drop Fendi by Fendi (pre-2004 formulation)
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque + a drop of Serge Lutens Rose de Nuit
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque + a drop of Montale Black Aoud
    vintage (prereformulation) Paloma Picasso EDP

Comme des Garcons Avignon - perfection! (Only have a wee sample but it transports me each time I sniff or wear it)
    vintage Caron Yatagan
    Etro Messe du Minuit - no resinous pine note but the incense is clean, very dry and austere. Another monastic beauty.
    vintage Estee Lauder Aliage

The Five Star Fragrance Company Royal Secret II
    Givenchy Organza Indecence
    Comme des Garcons Wood Coffee
    The Body Shop Altaro EDT

Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan
    Cartier Must de Cartier parfum (modern is ok but vintage is sublime!)
    Le Labo Ciste Labdanum
    Ava Luxe Amber Essence parfum
    i Profumi des Firenze Ambra de Nepal

Lanvin Arpege EDP
    Remy Latour L'Elue EDP - makes me glad to be a woman.
    Jil Sander #4 EDP
    Montana Parfum D'Elle (post 2002)
    Dolce & Gabbana Woman EDP (red velour box)
    Givenchy Ysatis
    Givenchy Amarige (dabbed sparingly - NEVER spritzed)

Estee Lauder Youth Dew bath oil
    Andy Tauer Le Desert du Moracain
    Dana Tabu
    Comme des Garcons EDP
    vintage Yves Rocher Ispahan
    Boucheron Initial
    Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir - yeah it's fruity but trust me it's the spice pulling the strings in this beauty.

Serge Lutens Arabie
    Tom Ford Black Orchid - sugar free Zucchini cake on me
    Ava Luxe Wild Black Fig parfum
    Ava Luxe Forbidden Fruits parfum
    Cacharel Gloria
    Gucci Envy For Men
    Guerlain Winter Delice
    Badgley Mischka EDP

Yardley Sandalwood EDT

Donna Karan Black Cashmere
    vintage (prereformulation) Paloma Picasso EDT

Shiseido / Serge Luten Femininity du Bois
    Gucci pour Homme
    Ava Luxe Midnight Violet parfum
    Paco Rabanne La Nuit
    Lancome Magie Noire (the roses never seem to emerge on me. It is all loamy soil and dry woods.)
    Rochas Mystere EDP (a dab will do yer. A bit temperamental but when it works - divine!!)
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Blog Entries

Moondeva, OMG! Longtime no see! I was just thinking about you. It's so nice to see you back with all your great suggestions!

My faves so far this fall:
    Chanel Bois des Iles
    Guerlain Samsara (vintage edt & parfum), Jicky edp and yes, Terracotta Voile d'Ete, its actually so pretty in the fall.
    Balmain Ivoire
    Bal a Versailles is growing on me....just have to get past the powder opening. Thinking I may need the parfum...
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Moondeva, OMG! Longtime no see! I was just thinking about you. It's so nice to see you back with all your great suggestions!
    Awww.... thank you SO much for the warm welcome. I am surprised and humbled that anyone remembers me.

I hope to actually be around and active on board more often so look forward to more crazy lists and topics in the near future.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Moondeva Welcome home! I wonder if any bracing pine accords would blend with roses, any layering ideas, Deva?

For me it's adjusting to my favorites in a different atmosphere. Habanita is less blossomy in the cooler temps, ambers seem warmer and spices last longer. Oddly enough I tried floral Sissi today and it was beautiful, top notes seemed to last longer.

All in all I make few changes, except for things like Winter Delice which I have never worn in the heat...WinterStar on the other hand performed well, so maybe I should have brought out the pine needles.

I also like Yatagan in the fall and always enjoy Parfum d'Elle.

Moondeva, good to see you back!

These speak fall to me:

Chanel Bois des Iles
    Feminite du bois and all subsequent offspring
    Amouage Jubilation 25
    CdG White, with it's cedar-cinnamon combo
    the spice kings Cinnabar, Opium and Coco
    Attrape Coeurs, of course
    Ambre Sultan
    Chergui
    La Myrrhe
    lots of Sonoma Scents: Tabac Aurea, Winter Woods, Femme Jolie, Encens Tranquille
    L'air de Desert Morocain
    Teo cabanel Oha (under-appreciated, I think)
    The Party in Manhattan
    Acqua di Parma Profumo

Wow, my brain is tired now..
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Well.... I thought I was entering a non-sweet phase (which would have left me with, like, three cool weather fumes, which wouldn't have been a bad thing, considering what they are.) As it turns out, I've been really loving Hypnotic Poison and Theorema this month. I'll start wearing Chanel No. 22 in October. Today I'm wearing Kelly Caleche, following Sophi's lead.

OMG Lessa, our list could be almost the exact same - you scent sister you!!!!

Chanel Bois des Iles, and I'll add Coromandel
    Shiseido Feminite du bois and CdG White share some commonalities that I love this time of year
    SL Chergui pops out after the hot summer
    Lancome Cuir - can wear all year but this is my favorite time
    T. Cabanel Alahine which lead to...
    Any ambers, but mostly i Profumi des Firenze Ambra de Nepal and Goutal Ambre Fetiche (pushing it because it is not chilly yet, but I love it) and Hermes Ambre Narguille
    I've also been popping out some vanillas - i Profumi des Firenze Vaniglia de Madagascar and PdN Vanille Tonka (more incense than anything else)
    More woods - Ava Luxe #23 and PG Cadjmere are both wonderful and new purchases for this season

Ahhhh, I love this time of year! All of my favorite perfumes are best in cooler weather. Too bad I dislike cold weather

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Fall and cool weather ... Don't be shy.
    Dzing! - Hey/Vanilla vs. Leather/Saffron
    Patchouly Patch - Patch plus Immortelle
    Secretions Magnifique - Foul Rot vs. Creamy Chestnut
    Shalimar - Noblesse
    Mysore Sandalwood pure oil deluted - Fancy

My cloths will be very sporty/functional synthetic this fall in contrast to a more formal elegant dress code before. Let's see what shall come.

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    Ahhhh, I love this time of year! All of my favorite perfumes are best in cooler weather.
    Cello, I so agree with you. I think I'm just drawn to more dense scents generally, so I have to be a bit more choosy in the summer. My fabulous fall faves:

TFPB Amber Absolute
    CdG Avignon -- this makes my knees go weak. It may very well be my autumn Holy Grail.
    SL Un Bois Vanille, Chergui, Muscs Koublai Khan, Fumerie Turque, Feminite du Bois, Bois Oriental, Cuir Mauresque, Arabie, and my fall floral, Sarrasins
    FM Musc Ravageur
    ELdO Divin' Enfant

Dang, that's pretty much my wardrobe collection and wishlist, isn't it? I guess I'm a fall/winter frag kind of gal!

Basenotes Plus

Moondeva! How lovely to see you again! You've been missed.

Most of my frags get worn pretty much all year long, but these especially feel autumnal to me:

Rochas Femme
    Dior Dolce Vita
    Serge Lutens Arabie
    Annick Goutal Vanille Exquise
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

happy is the bleu heart<3

I really don't sort my fragrances by seasons. Like Tdem, they pretty much get worn year round. That being said, some of my scents will be getting more and more wearings as the weather gets cooler:

Cinnabar
    Opium
    Habanita
    Ambre Sultan
    Fumerie Turque
    Bandit (I love it year-round, but to me, it is the ultimate scent for football!)
    Ralph Hot (don't laugh! This is a maple-y, woody, sweet scent that is perfect for fall)

Two that I wish I had to wear this fall: Santal de Mysore and Un Bois Vanille

Blog Entries

I start wearing darker, richer scents. Some of my favorites are;
    Balmain-Ivoire
    Fendi
    Caron-Tabac Blond, Poivre, Fleurs de Rocailles, En Avion
    Serge Lutens- Bois Oriental, Bois Violette, Vetiver Oriental,
    Daim Blond, Iris Silver Mist
    Mazzolari- Vetiver
    Mona di Orio- Nuit Noir, Chamarre
    Parfumerie Generale- Oriental Iris, Aomassai, L'Ombre Fauve
    Estee Lauder- Alliage, Azuree, Youth Dew, Amber Nude
    Turbulences
    Ormonde Jayne Woman
    Malle-Noire Epices, Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Boucheron
    Bond- Soho Nights
    Norell (classic)
    Etro- Ambro, Shaal Nur, Sandalo
    Profumum- Dulcis in Fundo
    Frapin 1270
    Miss Dior, Dioressence
    Cabochard
    Emeraude
    Heeley-Cardinal
    CdG-Kyoto
    Czech & Speake #88
    Montale Black Aoud, Aoud Damascus, Aoud Roses Petals,
    Patchouli Leaves, Red Vetyver
    Guerlain Mitsouko, Vol de Nuit
    Last edited by kumquat; 25th September 2010 at 03:19 PM.

Blog Entries

I think my Fall list so far is Daim Blond, Ambre Sultan, Arabie, Mitsouko (of course!), Shaal Nur, Shalimar, Vol de Nuit, Parfums de Nicolai's Vanille Tonka, Coromandel, Parfum Sacre, Aomassai, and L'Heure Bleue.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 25th September 2010 at 04:01 PM.

kewart- I'll have to look that one up : Sienne L'Hiver by Duchaufour. I just now read the reviews on Lucky scent. Some said on the review that it didn't stay on them long (is the word for that: silage?) Sounds wonderful, but I know you can't go on notes alone.
    Eliza
    (seems like vintage L'origan was made just for me)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza View Post
    kewart- I'll have to look that one up : Sienne L'Hiver by Duchaufour. I just now read the reviews on Lucky scent. Some said on the review that it didn't stay on them long (is the word for that: silage?) Sounds wonderful, but I know you can't go on notes alone.
    Hi Eliza, the word you're looking for is "longevity". "Sillage" is the amount of projection or "scent trail" that a perfume gives off. The bigger the better IMO!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I've fallen in love all over again with my Wazamba. Apples, incense, spices... just perfect for autumn! Some others I particularly enjoy this time of year are PG's Aomassai, Sonoma Scent Studio's Winter Woods, Lutens' Cedre, Chergui and Fumerie Turgue, and CB I hate perfume's Burning leaves.

teardrop- thanks for letting me know, longevity.

I can see from all your lists that there are so many more to try! Sometimes are noses need a break from all the strong stuff, but I love the strong ones- Le Morac Pour Elle by Andy Tauer.
    Eliza
    (seems like vintage L'origan was made just for me)

Fashionably late to this thread, but I now look to my Habit Rouge EDP, my Cuir Ottoman, and my Ambre Russe.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.