Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Top 10 rarest discontinued fragrances

1. Polo Crest
    2. Feeling Man by Jil Sander
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Paul Smith London is almost impossible to find now, it's especially mind boggling because it wasn't discontinued too long ago, I actually got my hands on one and paid near retail, totally worth it, this stuff is fantastic. I can't even imagine how hard this will be to find in another couple years.. Fahrenheit in its original formula is also quite hard to find.
    I actually crossed with a bottle of this one at a sale here in Brazil, but they only the tester was left

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    I´ve got the vert anis version and it is quite different to the usual version. It has a powerful sweet green anis, which is very dominant, but not offensive. It´s very long lasting. I would advise you to try it first. It´s not everyone´s cup of tea.
    I prefer to take risks haha Sweet green anis seems to be right up my alley. I`ll never find a bottle to try first, so if i find this one i`ll have to buy it blindly

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Jean Patou pour Homme Privé is damn hard to find! But almost half of the fragrances mentioned are not that rare - you just have to look harder than normal (and in unusual places). I've either owned or had the opportunity to own many of them within the last 2-3 years.
    There was 2 months ago a bottle of Privé pour homme for 100 dollars at ebay...

For me, Rochas Macassar and Shiseido Murasaki.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Poison by Christian Dior

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    For me, Rochas Macassar and Shiseido Murasaki.
    Primrose, shiseido murasaki is available at an affordable price at fragrancenet:
    http://www.fragrancenet.com/shiseido...3?cur_letter=S

Basenotes Institution

Orris by Tauer
    Feuille Verte by Creed
    Vetiver by L' Artisan Parfumeur

To name a few...

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Nombre Noir - Shiseido
    I was trying to sell my 4ml mini at a more than reasonable price for months. No one seemed to want it.

OK, let me try this again: No mention of BOIS NOIR yet?!

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    OK, let me try this again: No mention of BOIS NOIR yet?!
    OK, so its been mentioned twice now. Do you want to try for a third?

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    OK, so its been mentioned twice now. Do you want to try for a third?
    Well, I was sure it would be included in the posts that followed my first mention.
    It's more rare than believable Elvis sightings, goddammit!!

Hillaire

There are probably just a couple of people qualified to answer this question, and I'd wager none of the most rare even bear names I would recognise.

But here are a few I find plenty hard to find; in fact, I defy you all to locate them for me!

Jil Sander Bath and Body
    Bogner Woman
    Lancome's original En Vol
    Capucci Ballade a Venise

Yummy! Colour me intrigued scentemental!

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    Yummy! Colour me intrigued scentemental!
    D.,

This is, the concentrated cologne version of the original vintage version of Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme EDT. The EDT has undergone a number of reformulations since first being introduced in 1978, each one a successive attenuation and cheapening of what is recognized by leading perfumers as one of the great masterworks of men's perfumery. The Concentrated Cologne pictured here dates from 1984. This
    concentrated cologne version of the original vintage EDT moves very quickly into a rich, complex, smooth, creamy, luxurious leather chypre basenote drydown with little to no time in the floral heart notes of the original or subsequent formulations. At the heart of the fragrances is a exquisitely aromatic thyme note that paradoxically, with its own bitterness, cancels out any possible hint of bitterness from the leather. Its truly marvelous how this is achieved. This is really one of the best, truest leather fragrances I have ever experienced. No contemporary leather fragrances come even close to its richness, its undeniable use of quality ingredients, and its sophistication and complexity. It has the total feel of natural leather about it. If you've ever been lucky enough to experience the dry down of the vintage Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Home EDT from the early 1980s (I first experienced and enjoyed VC&A PH in this formulation throughout the 1980s) then this is what you are getting here, essentially. It basically behaves like an EDP, and a little goes a very, very long, long way. Having said that, it's important to note that it's not an EDP. On the other side of the box, there is the designation "Eau de toilette." However, it is very clear that it is, indeed, a concentrated cologne version of Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme EDT. Its being a concentrated cologne and an EDT at the same time are not mutually exclusive terms. Carolina Herrera, among others, for example, has a concentrated version of Herrera for Men designated as Herrera for Men EDT Concentrate. This used to be the standard designation given by perfumers when an EDT's basenotes were concentrated. Also, once you've sample the fragrance, it is clearly the EDT formulation in which the top notes have been removed, the heart notes attenuated, and the base notes concentrated.

I surmise that the concentrated cologne version was actually released for the US market, since the original was one of the first truly, richly floral men's fragrances on the market, and I suspect VC&A suspected, correctly, that the
    decidedly and richly floral EDT would not fly in the US at the time. I am not sure about this; it's just a guess.

The bottle's measurements are approximately 4 ¼ inches from base to shoulder, approximately 4 ¼ inches across, and approximately 1 ¼ inches thick. The only other time I have ever seen the Concentrated Cologne/EDT designation is in a 0.85 oz (25 ml) spray, which, like this bottle, is also exceedingly rare.

scentemental

P.S. Can any one see the original image without having to click on a link? This erratic, temperamental software under which the current board operates is getting more and more complicated and less and less intuitive to navigate, and it's always doing strange things. I can see the image when I am logged in, and I can't see when I am not logged in.

Last edited by scentemental; 25th September 2010 at 10:34 AM.

Thank you scentemental

Yes, your VC& A image is visible without having to click on the link. Strangely though, when I responded by quoting you, it shows as a link in my post(?) Nevermind.

Well this sounds fascinating. I am quite certain my stepdad used to wear VC&A Pour Homme EDT in the mid-late 80s (in New Zealand, that is), but certainly not this particular version. I can't recall the smell, but the leather chypre characteristics you describe sound wonderful, and I love the idea of a concentrated cologne. I imagine it is very much reminiscent of Guerlain's vintage colognes which more often than not, tend to be equal in tenacity to (or greater than) modern EDT/PDT versions.
    Certainly one to treasure!

EDITED TO ADD: The link in the post directly above this one scentimental displays only a hyperlink. No image.

I apologize for the large image. It was the only one I could find.

Hey all, just joined this forum after seeing this thread as I have a question. I have a Gucci Nobile 30ml in my possession that I found years back from my dads drawer (though hes no fragrance guy) and would like to know if its authentic and if so, what is its value if I were to sell it? I no longer have the box, and here are 2 pictures of the Nobile:

http://i53.tinypic.com/i6vz3p.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/15hbc7c.jpg

Any help is much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by 5tranger View Post
    Hey all, just joined this forum after seeing this thread as I have a question. I have a Gucci Nobile 30ml in my possession that I found years back from my dads drawer (though hes no fragrance guy) and would like to know if its authentic and if so, what is its value if I were to sell it? I no longer have the box, and here are 2 pictures of the Nobile:

http://i53.tinypic.com/i6vz3p.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/15hbc7c.jpg

Any help is much appreciated!
    Hi 5tranger and welcome.

Punch the keywords: Gucci Nobile into ebay's search field to see your best rule of thumb re: pricing.

Guerlain's Guerlarose
    Guerlain's Bouquet de Faunes
    Yardley's White Roses
    Revillon's Égoïste

etc etc etc

I could go on for days

cheers

Surprised, nobody mentioned Doblis

I could add:
    Background - Jil Sander
    Deep Forest - Bognor
    Nuit d´Été - Joop
    Berlin - Joop and more importantly: Versailles pour Homme - Jean Desprez

By the way, A very big thankyou to eveyone who has contributed to this thread !

Any Gobin-Daude perfume.
    Ungaro - L`Ombre de la Nuit
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Joop - What about Adam is a hard one to find, and of course Ungaro I and Ungaro II. Then there is Dior Jules....ho hum.

Minotaure are going to be hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Furriner View Post
    Shiseido Basala edt
    That was on the Canadian version of EBay today, along with Jako by KL (FYI)
    Please cancel my subscription to your issues.

Cynique
    Glamour
    Ivoire de Chanel
    Le Beige de Chanel
    Le Bleu de Chanel
    Le Rouge de Chanel
    Mademoiselle Chanel
    Mademoiselle Chanel No. 1
    Mademoiselle Chanel No. 2
    Mademoiselle Chanel No. 3
    No. 11
    No. 14
    No. 20
    No. 21
    No. 27
    No. 31
    No. 46
    No. 55
    Three Moods
    Une Idée

Bermuda Cup. I think Royal Copenhagen made it but not sure.