Code of Conduct

Default Does Chanel no 19. work also on men?

I just got a few serious answers on this question in the Male-forum. Maybe you all can give me your opinion. Does no. 19 work for men also? Is it rather unisex?

Default Re: Does Chanel no 19. work also on men?

Yes, I think it is most definitely Unisex and I believe the EdT is less floral than the EdP. If I were you, I'd try both. Someone mentioned on the men's forum that it is an abstract perfume, and I agree that it is. I always thought of No.19 as representative of Coco Chanel's masculine side, but that is just my impression. Another that is worth trying by a man or woman is Cristalle - I prefer the EdP.
    I've also smelled No. 5 on a man and he wore it beautifully.
    Decide for yourself, you will know if it works for you just as you know when you wear a piece of clothing that works for you.

Thanks for the tip!

Blog Entries

Absolutely yes.

In short: the edp is the most floral, edt is sharper and fresher, parfum is more like the edt than the edp but (of course) richer and deeper. These are current formulations.

Vintage formulations are generally softer and deeper, mossier, and more unisex to me.

Blog Entries

l would say definitely yes, & l agree that Cristalle is also worth a try. To me they are both quite masculine scents.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Which one of them is most suitable and most unisex in your opinion? Eau De Parfum, Eau Verte or the Eau De Toilette?

Blog Entries

Myself l have only tried the EDT of both, so l have not been able to compare, but IMO these would both work on a guy. You won't really know until you try them on your skin, but if you like them, wear them & enjoy them, don't be put off by other people's opinions. You know what l'm talking about!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Yes on both the EDT and the EDP.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Institution

Yes, it does. I would even go so far to say that even the parfum extrait would work on men . EDT,EDP and extrait would work ( new formulation ) .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I'd say try them all and decide what you like. I think every version is appropriate for both sexes.

I've tried both (Edt and Edp) and it works perfectly. But what about no. 5? I know that the classic answer to this often is: "If YOU like it, then wear it!" But that answer aint gonna work this time because I would only wear a feminine marked fragrance it if it fits for men. There has been some threads about it but I want to hear some girls opinions. Edt, Edp, Eau Premiere? What works best?

As a big Chanel fan I dont want any fragrance that could be worn by a man pass me by.

Maybe I'll just start a poll about it. :P

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Siifter View Post
    I've tried both (Edt and Edp) and it works perfectly. But what about no. 5? I know that the classic answer to this often is: "If YOU like it, then wear it!" But that answer aint gonna work this time because I would only wear a feminine marked fragrance it if it fits for men. There has been some threads about it but I want to hear some girls opinions. Edt, Edp, Eau Premiere? What works best?

As a big Chanel fan I dont want any fragrance that could be worn by a man pass me by.
    lf it works perfectly, then obviously it fits, l think you have answered your own question!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Siifter View Post

Why not re. Chanel No.5 ? You could start with the Eau Premiere version
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Yes i think so too.
    The Edt is the "safest" for a guy just starting out into scents marketed for women as it is the most conventional green scent of them all, the edP is more flowery as mentioned.

Personally i don't think perfumery should be chained by gender issues. It's always been about marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    lf it works perfectly, then obviously it fits, l think you have answered your own question!
    Well yes, what concerns the 19. But I was wondering about the no. 5.

N0. 19 is amazing! It's easily unisex, even if it wasn't I would wear it and not care. Great scent!

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    In short: the edp is the most floral, edt is sharper and fresher, parfum is more like the edt than the edp but (of course) richer and deeper. These are current formulations.

Vintage formulations are generally softer and deeper, mossier, and more unisex to me.
    I knew you'd be able to sum up my thoughts on no 19 perfectly, Mr. Tott!

Oh, and Mimi mentioned she'd even recommend the parfum for a guy. Well, it's the only formulation I wear, actually.... I agree with Mr. Tott, it is more like the EdT than the EdP (which was composed much later), and it entirely suitable for unisex wear.

This is far more traditionally unisex than no 5, which I personally can't pull off, but that shouldn't dissuade anyone else. After all, I'm a huge Chamade fiend.

Unisex....I guess I have to check again which formulation is better for men EDT or EDP or perhaps Parfum? =)

Most certainly a unisex fragrance .I think on the whole there is no such thing as a perfume that a man can't wear ,I wouldn't say there are female/male foods .

Im going to buy a bottle of it tomorrow. And while I'm at the boutique I might just try on the Premiere and the Edt of the no. 5.