Code of Conduct

Question Ever desire to be identified by a signature scent? The same one, everyday, forever?

I do... sometimes. But then again, I do like my 60 bottle collection too.

- Sometimes its an appealing thought to me... to have one scent that identifies me at all times.
    - That is my image, my idenity.
    - Something that people who I interact with all the time remember me by.
    - A scent I can spray on all my clothes and not worry abou interacting with other fragrances.

But then I look at my entire collection and like the diversiy of it... but I swear, there's somethng appealing about having one scent thats me. That all my friends know is me. That my wife can smell in bed after I leave for work.

One scent, hmmmm.... am I nutz?

Default Re: Ever desire to be identified by a signature scent? The same one, everyday, forever?

I can't have one scent everyday. Everyday is a new day, different mood. So I choose a scent depending on what I feel for the specific day. Also, different frags for different ocassions.

Default Re: Ever desire to be identified by a signature scent? The same one, everyday, forever?

No you are not nutz.

I am thinking about same. I'd like to have just 1 perfect fragrance that would be ME. But I didnt find anything so versatile yet. EVERYTHING (even my 5 star fragrances) goes on my nerves if I use it too often or under wrong conditions.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Actually -- yes. It's pretty much my only real concern about this hobby, be it as stupid as it is (and the one obstacle the hobby is for the GF).

I like the thought of being uniquely distinctive and distinguishable by my smell.

However, I think for most of us this ship has sailed ages ago. Once you start craving different scents in different moods/occasion, you're a lost case

But for this purpose I will hold a bottle of my first scent ever (CW) in high appreciation and take care that it gets its wearings - for the lasdy but also for myself.

I might actually consider making a frag my one and only for the public and social events but so far I have yet to encounter a frag that truly represents me at all times.

A shame, really.
    Smellin good

Quote Originally Posted by timaru View Post
    I like the thought of being uniquely distinctive and distinguishable by my smell.

But for this purpose I will hold a bottle of my first scent ever (CW) in high appreciation and take care that it gets its wearings - for the lasdy but also for myself.
    Just reread.
    LOL
    Smellin good

Yes definitely, that was my motive to join Basenotes in the first place - To find that identifiable fragrance. So far it has been tough and learning more and more has made that decision even harder for me, however, I feel like I am getting better and now able to hone in on say a collection of between 3-4 that I can use and be identified by.

So far it is
    1. Rochas Man/Dior Homme Intense (Either or or both)
    2. Body Kouros
    3. Green Irish Tweed (Soon to be replaced by Aventus)

Summer Special - Bond No.9 Fire Island

I used Le Male for about 10 years, and still love it to this day, and love when people tell me stories about how they smell it and it reminds them of me.

Report, please delete

Absolutely. I was just thinking about this today, actually.

Depends which one it is, but if it's Armani PH, maybe

No, it would be just too boring.

Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille

My personal 'Holy Grail'. This makes all other scents for me obsolete, i only have others because this isn't the best in warmer weather, (although i'd happily wear it, others might not appreciate it)
    I'm fortunate though in regards to weather, living in London, its blazing hot for probably 10 days in the year, other than that its either raining or just murky looking (like this morning) and this scent is just more than perfect for days like this.

Others have questioned its versatility, I personally think you can wear this in almost any occasion other than the office, great for formal occasions, casual and most effective during intimate times. Just a stunning creation, and its how I would love people to identify me..

Sur la Plage

No.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

well I can have one frag for over 15 years only the one and same all the time... look at my signature...

to me fragrance is something that I identify myself with and cant therefore change it or myself so frequent...
    My signature scents:
    Current: GREEN IRISH TWEED (since June 2010)
    Past: BOIS DU PORTUGAL (Oct. 09 - May 10)
    Past Past: EAU SAUVAGE (good 15 years !!!)
    Past Past Past: LANVIN L'HOMME (2 years)
    Past Past Past Past: EAU SAUVAGE again (3 years or so)

Basenotes Plus

Definitely not. Variety is the spice of life.

A signature scent , no - I could not chose just one .

A signature note , vanilla most likely

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    I used Le Male for about 10 years, and still love it to this day, and love when people tell me stories about how they smell it and it reminds them of me.
    See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. When me and my wife dated, I owned 1 bottle of fragrance, Lacoste. Thats all I wore each time we met. Now I have 60 different bottles, but each time I wear Lacoste, my wife goes back to memory lane...

It would be immensely boring for me.

Quote Originally Posted by md1grwl View Post
    See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. When me and my wife dated, I owned 1 bottle of fragrance, Lacoste. Thats all I wore each time we met. Now I have 60 different bottles, but each time I wear Lacoste, my wife goes back to memory lane...
    See, similar thing for me too! I have recently wearing different colognes for my girlfriend to guage her reaction, and she likes a few, however, whenever I put on Le Male, she gets a bit nostalgic and likes it the most. Scent tied to memory right!

Not really.

No, I once wore the same thing for about 5 years & I realised that in the end I became kind of immune to it & couldn't smell it myself. I became guilty of overspraying & probably nearly killed a few people with my sillage :-)

There are so many lovely scents available, to restrict to just one anyway !

Basenotes Institution

You can have one scent that you truly identify yourself with but at the same time wear a variety of fragrances. Once you become passionate for fragrance , I think it's impossible to have just one scent - it would be like denying yourself a whole variety of foods and eating just burgers every day .
    I don't think I could ever have just one scent , ever again. There's no going back ! *LOL*
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Tuscany was mine for a long time, and many identified me with it. I know exactly what you are talking about, and it was special.

But as others have already noted, there are too many beautiful scents out there to stick with just one.

The very idea fills me with dread...
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I like the idea of a signature scent, it is romantic, but it would be extremely hard to pick a single one...

And from a purely practical view, you will most likely get olfactory fatigue from a signature fragrance fairly quickly. A while ago I wore Vol de Nuit extrait for a few days, and I was starting to tune it out on the third day. You would at least have to recalibrate your nose by wearing nothing at all or wearing something else every few days.

This may be possible but If only that one signature scent is head and heels above the rest. Otherwise you have a few five star fragrances that are all great for different reasons. Admittedly the closest thing that I have found is Jasmin Impératrice Eugénie by Creed. It is absolutely fantastic and wears well in all weather types and conditions.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

No.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Yes, actually. And that one scent for me is Creed's Original Vetiver. The rest of my collection is just gathering dust because it's all I ever wear. Except for the occasional sandalwood, it's Creed OV all day every day.

No....but I HAVE wondered if I should TRY to develop a signature scent that others will associate with me specifically. I think I vary it up just enough to keep this from happening.

I've got empathy for the problem, at the moment the best I can do is run to a few that are in constant rotation and then the rest become scents for special occasions or just for the hell of it.

When I was a smoker, I always bought a different brand of cigarettes from one buy to an other.
    Now, I always pick a different fragrance depending on different factors, but (almost) never the same 2 days in a row.
    I think I just like variety. Furthermore, I noticed I become easily almost anosmic to a scent if I use it too much often. So variety is a way to keep my "treasures" truly precious to my eyes.
    But even if I dont wan't one, my "signature scent" (meaning the fragrance that matches me the most) would be Bulgari Blu, it's like if my skin was made just for this scent.

I tried often in the past and would love to now, but it won't work.

In the past, I would go with a signature scent and then change and I never would realize why I gave up on the scent.

Now I realized why wearing a signature scent cannot work after I tried it again earlier this year with Boucheron PH. It's because after wearing it everyday for a while, I can't smell it anymore. By rotating fragrances, I can smell each one of them whenever I wear them.

Now I understand what others meant by saying that people can't smell their own fragrances. These people don't wear multiple fragrances like we here do.

And I think that it is the same reason people spray too much on and overpower everyone. It's since they can't smell the fragrance they are wearing when their nose gets used to it.

Thus, I think having a signature scent can't be sucessful since the enjoyment of smelling the scent would go away.

What I've done now is to get rid of the 30+ fragrance wardrobe and go with the few I like the most and rotate them. They are Bulgari PH Extreme, Boucheron PH, Penhaligon's English Fern and L'Instant De Guerlain EDT. Each one I would have liked as a signature scent, but I don't want to not be able to smell them. Rotating them solves the problem. So I now have 4 signature scents and four is few enough to be able to be associated with each one of them.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

"Ever desire to be identified by a signature scent? The same one, every day, forever?"

Not forever, not in forever. I don't think I ever really felt that I wanted to be defined by one style of anything in fashion.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca