Code of Conduct

Thread: Rookie errors

Thumbs down Rookie errors

On my summer holiday (where it was 40+ degrees celcius - 110F) I came across somebody who had sprayed about 20 doses of Joop! on himself. It smelled of burning rubber, and probably projected a few miles.

Can you think of any other rookie errors concrning fragrances?
    Top 10:
    1. Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta
    2. YSL M7
    3. Tom Ford Bois Marocain
    4. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    5. Dior Homme/Intense
    6. YSL Opium
    7. Azzaro Pour Homme
    8. Frederic Malle's Musc Ravageur
    9. YSL Live Jazz
    10. Burberry London

Default Re: Rookie errors

Not testing the scent adequately before buying it. Gotta try a fragrance at least 2-3 times before considering a purchase.

1. Impulsive buying based on the insistance of die-hard Base Noters posters... test before, and if you can't, search for information and make some comparissons based on reviews. If there are no reviews, abstain from buying and get some samples.

2. Dismissing inexpensive scents and centering on the really expensive ones and / or niche fragances.

3. Limiting testing to blotters; nothing beats a full wear when it comes to assesing scents.

4. Thinking all scents are made to be worn - sometimes there is an abismal difference between the way it feels on you and the well it feels to the nose.

5. Not exploring pure notes.

Guess there are many other I've been thinking about, but I've got to leave.
    Last edited by Pollux; 24th September 2010 at 12:23 PM.

Over-applying heavily leathery frags like Fendi Uomo or Cerutti 1881 Amber (I over-sprayed both, on separate occasions, years ago)

• Not understanding that one's choice of fragrance is a personal thing, and is a function of one's taste, lifestyle and personality. There is no "right" or "wrong".
    • Analyzing things to death. You don't need to identify every single note or ingredient to decide whether you like something or not.
    • Spending too much time on online forums. This is related to the points above. Too much "group think" and over-analysis is detrimental to your enjoyment and appreciation of perfumery.

When I first bought a bottle of Joop! Homme, in my haste to appreciate it I WAY oversprayed all over myself and nearly threw up.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

"I can't wear that; it's for women!"
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Rookie mistakes are no doubt many and made often.

But something I am starting to notice are veteran mistakes. The number one mistake here is jumping to assumptions.

Assuming that because it has an aquatic accord or mainstream citrus top note that it will be a terrible scent.

You can not like something but that doesn't mean it isn't complex, well made and interesting.

P.S. That isn't to say that there aren't dreadful and boring mainstream aquatics.

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    "I can't wear that; it's for women!"
    Amen to this! Gender rigidity limits the enjoyment of many fragrances. In reality, the gender labeling of scent is all marketing.

I agree with the obsession with niche and designer houses being a rookie error, or being slavishly devoted to one house to the point of obsession.

Quote Originally Posted by Rescentment View Post
    Rookie mistakes are no doubt many and made often.

But something I am starting to notice are veteran mistakes. The number one mistake here is jumping to assumptions.

Assuming that because it has an aquatic accord or mainstream citrus top note that it will be a terrible scent.

You can not like something but that doesn't mean it isn't complex, well made and interesting.

P.S. That isn't to say that there aren't dreadful and boring mainstream aquatics.
    Not necessarily. Some people might do this, but do not generalise. Trouble by Boucheron has citrus top notes but underneath is a vanilla oriental. It is almost a unisex, although marketed to women.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant View Post
    On my summer holiday (where it was 40+ degrees celcius - 110F) I came across somebody who had sprayed about 20 doses of Joop! on himself. It smelled of burning rubber, and probably projected a few miles.

If I came across someone who did this and if I knew I could "take them", I would say to his face "You are a pathetic rookie".
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

my consistent mistake to this day? Attempting to talk to normal people about "fragrance". They average person just gulps and mutters "interesting" and not only has no interest in hearing more, they think I'm weird when I start explaining how gender is marketing (I mean even perfume store owners who look at me and ask "why do you want to smell that, it's for women?"), and they don't understand why I'm looking for old stuff, not the latest designer bottles. People think I'm crazy for having more the 2-3 bottle of "cologne"
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Attempting to get a five finger discount!

(sorry, I couldn't resist)

Not understanding how olfactory fatigue from the top notes can prevent full enjoyment (or even perception) of the base notes.

Basenotes Institution

Storing fragrances improperly (in light, heat, glove compartment of car, gym bag, etc)

1) overapplying
    2) buying what is considered popular over what THEY like
    3) not doing any research/testing before they buy

Rookie Error No.1 - Trying to save money by buying copy scents or scents that were cheap from day one (as opposed to heavily discounted initially expensive scents). They tend to be cheap and harsh and very linear, but a Rookie nose doesn't understand that and is not trained well enough to tell them apart from more sophisticated scents. On initial sniffing, he may well conclude that it's exactly the same as the real thing (but it isn't to everyone else, especially to women).

Rookie Error No.2 - Following his nose. This may wind up in his mainly buying scents in one or two categories. Which is okay for a while, but as he develops experience, he ultimately realise that a lot of his scents smell fairly similar.

Rookie Error No.3 - Posting here that Scent X smells exactly the same as Scent Y, and believing it. Whenever I see such posts I usually scratch my head, spray some on each hand and compare. Often, but not always, I see some similarity in some note or two, or perhaps less often in the style of the two, but it is very rare that I can see any two scents even close to being "exactly" the same.

Rookie Error No.4. - Follows authoritative or elitist musings, be it from writers or from experienced users here, that some scent of other is "crap", or that niche scents/female scents are always great/ superior/ better crafted etc than male designer scents (although, given the subtle generic releases of the last five or six years, I can see some validity to that notion).

Rookie Error No.5. - Actually believing the sexist pronouncements of the feminist media, and its proponents - that "Less is More", such that scents should only be detectable if someone sticks their nose into your neck. In my opinion, it's just an attitude designed to ensure males know their place - and that place isn't where females are at, as they can spray scent on to their hearts' content.

Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant View Post

I can only imagine that smelling like

Wink Re: Rookie errors

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Rookie Error No.5. - Actually believing the sexist pronouncements of the feminist media, and its proponents - that "Less is More", such that scents should only be detectable if someone sticks their nose into your neck. In my opinion, it's just an attitude designed to ensure males know their place - and that place isn't where females are at, as they can spray scent on to their hearts' content.

Cheers,
    Renato

I really don't think this has anything to do with the "feminist media" or keeping men in their "place". I can't stand it when some jerk oversprays his lastest impulse buy in a department shop or what he got as a gift. Whatever fruity or vanilla concoction that may be.

PS : Santa Maria Novella Opoponax is a niche fragrance and marked as a feminine. And it is the bestest fragrance ever !!
    Last edited by Surfacing; 25th September 2010 at 06:50 AM. Reason: changed
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Impatience: buying a frag before extensive sniffing in its particular genre. Let's say you steer clear of chypres, but then you fall for one and buy it after sampling it... only to fall harder for a similar frag - a comparable but more beautiful one - and could have saved yourself a hundred bucks.

The Great Vintage Caper: Loving a fragrance and becoming obsessed with finding vintage formulations... only to find that sometimes the reformulation is just oh so close to the original that it doesn't really matter much. [Shaaaleeeemaaaaaaar...]
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

Biggest error IMO: Trying to build a large collection too quickly. Buy only the fragrances you've tested, and really love. Even then, you will find that you will fall out of love with some of your fragrances.

One of the biggest errors that i see time and time again whenever i go out, is people spraying on their hand/wrist and immediately lifting it towards their nose.

I tend to think: Yes, that's mostly alcohol you're smelling! (and they most likely than not make a "disgusted face expression")

i don't know how people haven't already figured that out: just wait a few minutes what's the rush, people nowadays seem to want things happen right now.

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Biggest error IMO: Trying to build a large collection too quickly. Buy only the fragrances you've tested, and really love. Even then, you will find that you will fall out of love with some of your fragrances.
    An excellent point. I've been a victim of this error.

Not well evaluate the climate and moisture of the place you'll be with your fragrance.
    I sometimes work as a barman in a nightclub and when I started, I didn't think I'd sweat so much. I had Mugler Cologne for a few weeks and still thought it was "light", so I sprayed 4-5 times. It was ok as long as I was "dry", but when I started to sweat when working, wow... it became so opulent I had the feeling even my sweat smelled of it.
    Please be quiet on the trigger in high moisture area (with any fragrance) !

P.S : Mugler Cologne isn't a light fragrance, just maybe not a projection beast

Spraying the neck. Almost instant olfactory fatigue in most cases, and way more projection than necessary, especially when multiple sprays are applied there.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by HammerFist View Post
    An excellent point. I've been a victim of this error.
    Me too but thanks to eBay it's usually not that much of an issue if you want to get rid of a fragrance.