Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Has anyone checked out Rei Rien?

I'm curious as to whether or not anyone has checked out the new online perfume outlet, Rei Rien, and what your impressions are.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Has anyone checked out Rei Rien?

Perfumeshrine had a link to it so I had a look. It looks alright ! Another online store to choose from .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I saw it too. They look interesting. The selections are still limited but the current sale prices are great. I'm resisting.
    Really, I am.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I love it that they have some Caron parfum extraits - like Renaissance man , I have resisted.

OK, I might not be the most appropriate person to recommend the site since, well...I introduced her anyway and am running an ad of hers too, but I am posting this earnestly as a mere consumer and I just got the most AMAZING customer service!!! Highly recommended!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I have ordered from Reirien and in fact I am expecting delivery this afternoon. So far, I like the site, I like that it is recommended by perfumistas and I LOVE some of the stuff they have. Their prices are good too.
    Evening : I have received my order. Very good site.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 19th June 2009 at 01:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered two vintage bottles of Montana's Parfum de Peau from www.reirien.com over a month ago, and they finally arrived…

I had gotten the impression that Rei Rien is a serious and reliable fragrance site, but I'm not so sure anymore. The description on Rei Rien mentions it being discontinued and shows a picture with an old-style packaging (I'm guessing 90's).

Unfortunately, this is not what I received. I got two bottles of the watered down, reformulated Italian re-issue from the early 00's (which is still in production afaik). Totally different packaging and not the same thing at all. It's like a smell-alike.

I wonder if they deliberately try to mislead customers, or if they simply don't know better. I guess it doesn't matter which, but my advice would be to either stay away or double-check exactly what it is you're buying.

I have to say that I did not expect a discontinued fragrance, illustrated by a vintage picture of said fragrance, to be a modern re-issue…

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh no Tott- I would also be very disappointed if I received what you got.
    I have ordered multiple times and the lady who owns the store is a perfume lover - she does know her stuff. So I am disappointed too, that you didn't get what was advertised. Shame..........

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had no problems with that site (ordered 3-4 times) WOW! I would also be very disappointed, upset with that purchase. I hope you can return and receive full refund.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Post Thanks / Like

When I e-mailed the owner, she basically tried to make me the problem by stating that there is no big difference between old/new and that she hasn't heard of any difference on fragrance blogs/boards...

This isn't talked about a lot, but when it does come up there are usually warnings about the reformulated re-issue. How she could have missed that, as she claims, is beyond me.

But anyway, regardless of whether she personally thinks the reformulation smells the same as the old one, she shouldn't try to pass it off as vintage.

Post Thanks / Like

This is so infuriating, not to mention insulting! I got sick of this same sort of disingenuous garbage trying to get straight answers from sellers on eBay that I stopped (well, almost) buying from there. But now to hear it's happeneing with Rei Rien is just too much! It's bait and switch, plain and simple. And yes, bottom line is if it says vintage, it should be vintage, even if it was never actually ('though we know it was) reformulated.

Are you going to pursue the issue?
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I would pursue the issue because it's false advertising and like you said Evangeline - bait and switch .
    The store now has Paypal and if I ever buy from there again, that is the option I will use for protection.
    I am very disappointed to hear this is happening at what used to be my preferred online store.
    Tott- did you tell her you're a basenoter ?

Post Thanks / Like

I did not tell her I'm a Basenoter. Not that it should matter if I did...

She claims that the picture of old stock was an "oversight", but still hasn't changed it, or the accompanying text which infers that it is in fact vintage stock. I'd say "bait and switch" seems appropriate here.

I don't know if I will push to get this resolved. The owner certainly didn't volunteer any solution...

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh Tott- the reason I asked if you told her you're a Basenoter is because she is a member here too albeit with one post only since joining !
    But you are right- it should not matter at all.

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry to hear this happened to you. I have had two purchases at this site: samples and an Annick Goutal. Both were fine for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the sympathy... This was my first purchase from Rei Rien, and also my last.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have purchased twice from Rei Rien. The first time the shipping box was too small and insufficeintly filled with stuffing and as a result the package got smashed. Fortunately only the lid got dented, but not a good experience. Also, shipping seems to lag behind by a few days in one instance so delivery was delayed. Better customer service would make this outlet a good resource. I hate to complain, but we are the customers.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I ordered 30ml of Midnight Poison parfum little over a month ago from Rei Rein,
    and even though the wait was a wee bit long, I'm hugely satisfied.

They shipped along my parcel as a gift valued at $14 (!), so I didn't get
    charged the extreme Danish import tax. Other than that, they shipped along
    3 samples ... how sweet is that?!

Post Thanks / Like

tott - it sounds like you're willing to just let this slide, but you shouldn't be stuck with a fragrance you didn't order. You acted in good faith and were lead astray. And after reading what Mimi said about the fact that she's a member here, she should really know better - to us (BNers) especially, the packaging is very important and can make a huge difference!! I know it's a pain in the butt, and you shouldn't have to go out of your way to fix things, but I think you have a solid case for reimbursement. The fact that she didn't volunteer a solution tells me that it's okay with them if people get the wrong idea about what they're actually buying, and they're (RR) probably banking on the fact that most people wouldn't know or notice the difference, or complain about it if they did.

I hate to harp on this, but I'm just so annoyed!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Post Thanks / Like

Evangeline, you're absolutely right!

I've sent an e-mail to say I'd like to return the bottles and get a complete refund of all costs. Let's see what happens... I did manage to open and spritz one of the bottles before I realized what I had received, but that shouldn't really matter.

Post Thanks / Like

Good - glad to hear it! I'll be very interested to see how they handle this....and btw, I noticed they have changed the pics for the edt, but it appears the extrait samples they're offering are vintage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    I noticed they have changed the pics for the edt, but it appears the extrait samples they're offering are vintage.
    Good news that they changed the pics! I think that extrait is not available as an Italian re-issue, so this is probably authentic vintage Montana.

Post Thanks / Like

So thanks to you they're doing right by future customers - good. Now all they have to do is make things right with you.

I hope she is smart enough to make it up with tott.
    Even if she does, the chances of me ordering anything there are extremely low. Especially after reading N_Tesla's experiences.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    Evangeline, you're absolutely right!

I've sent an e-mail to say I'd like to return the bottles and get a complete refund of all costs. Let's see what happens... I did manage to open and spritz one of the bottles before I realized what I had received, but that shouldn't really matter.
    Good for you Tott. To be fair, I have ,persoanlly never had a bad experience with Rei Rien and the seller has always tried her very best to ship to me ,even when I was abroad doing my yoga teaching. Though I hate seeing a Basenoter get a bad deal ,for no reason. I guess we must give the benefit of the doubt. She is a decent person ,so I wish you the best getting a refund or a satisfactory outcome.
    (I believe ,the store is a one woman show .)

I've ordered from Rei Rien many times and and have had excellent service.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Post Thanks / Like

i too order from this site, i bought Caron's pour une femme, plus many samples. never had a problem.
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Post Thanks / Like

Rei Rien does not want to give me a refund and claims that the re-issue I received is the discontinued Parfum de Peau.

I can't say that I understand how a re-issue that is still produced is "discontinued".

Post Thanks / Like

What a disappointment - I'm so sorry to hear this tott. There are plenty of places that value and respect their customers enough to give them the benefit of the doubt, and would go out of their way to make them happy...I'm really surprised Rei Rien is not one of them. You tried to make things right, so I hope you can at least feel good about that.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, well... I guess all of us get ripped off somewhere eventually. I don't really care about the lost money, but it's annoying to be conned.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

That is disappointing , Tott. I am disappointed for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

tott; I too am disappointed for you. The idea that if nothing goes wrong the vendor is a good source is found to be a false premise when the test of good customer service is how you are treated when there is a problem. A case of caveat emptor.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 23rd September 2010 at 07:15 PM.