Code of Conduct

Exclamation Caron Le 3me Homme - Dirtier than you think?

I tested Le 3me Homme multiple times.
    It always gave me a very clean and crisp impression.

Today however is totally different.
    The headnotes seemed to be filled with civet.
    The first minutes it smelled as dirty as Muscs Kublai Khan, at least there was a very prominent musk note which was almost identical to the musk in MKK.

One hour in the drydown there is still a lot of "dirtyness" going on.
    Not as much as in the headnotes, but it is there.

Are the musk and moss playing tricks on me?
    Does anyone have a similar experience with Le 3me Homme?

Default Re: Caron Le 3me Homme - Dirtier than you think?

I personally have never had this scent change its "face" on me.

Don't know that I find Le 3me Homme dirty, but it's certainly a complex, kitchen-sink sort of floral fougere, and I do find it very in-your-face. I don't find it pretty in any straight-forward way, which is how it seems to strike many people. The lavender/jasmine/rosemary accord is beautiful but challenging, and not something I can enjoy as steady diet of, as much as I value this composition.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

Yeah, I agree that there's something sort of damp and "off" about the top notes specifically - not sure what it is. But the dry down is all sweet florals and amber to me!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Sometimes I think it is divine. Other times, I find it to be overbearing. I think it is me though, and not the scent.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Yes, definitely dirtier that I thought it would be, based on reviews. I don't recall anyone mentioning it, but I get a civet-y thing in the beginning - not at the very top, but within the first half hour. It doesn't last into the drydown for me, though.
    I thought my nose was playing tricks on me, so thank you, Suppressor.

Blog Entries

I really enjoy what I consider to be smoky notes in this fragrance. So it has always been a bit dirty to me.

I'll pay attention for musk notes now. Thanks for pointing that out!

Suppressor... I will have to try it on me again to see. Maybe your nose is playing up on you?
    (but I agree with Red, it's worth checking out.) I ...
    ...those "dirty" notes.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Off-Scenter

There's a lot of musk in there, and I can't say I've ever perceived 3rd Man as "clean" or "crisp." I love the stuff.

@Redneck Perfumisto & actiasluna: Thank you and please post your thoughts in this topic next time you wear it!

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisewater View Post
    Yes, definitely dirtier that I thought it would be, based on reviews. I don't recall anyone mentioning it, but I get a civet-y thing in the beginning - not at the very top, but within the first half hour. It doesn't last into the drydown for me, though.
    I thought my nose was playing tricks on me, so thank you, Suppressor.
    Thank you too turquoisewater, I'm happy that I'm not the only one on this subject.
    We should always trust our nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Off-Scenter View Post
    There's a lot of musk in there, and I can't say I've ever perceived 3rd Man as "clean" or "crisp." I love the stuff.
    Well the experience I posted about was so special that my whole perception of Le 3me Homme changed. Because of that experience, I am able to detect that dirty musk note even hours into the drydown. The musk is not as dirty as the opening, but it's not like night and day. I don't think I'll ever forget that Muscs Kublai Khan opening of Le 3me Homme, it was shocking!

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    Don't know that I find Le 3me Homme dirty, but it's certainly a complex, kitchen-sink sort of floral fougere, and I do find it very in-your-face. I don't find it pretty in any straight-forward way, which is how it seems to strike many people. The lavender/jasmine/rosemary accord is beautiful but challenging, and not something I can enjoy as steady diet of, as much as I value this composition.
    I like the comment of "kitchen sink floral". That's how 3rd Man strikes me as well; a mishmash of floral scents. Unfortunately, it gets quite boring to me after a while (and I agree it came sometimes seem overbearing). If I were to modify this frag, I might add some herbal character, and dilute the florals just a bit. I like Third Man, but not enough to wear it frequently. The comments of not having any "crisp", "clean" character, I have to agree with as well; maybe some crisp, clean character would stave off the overbearing nature.

Oh, and I don't really get anything "dirty" in this fragrance. I've come to learn though that the sense of smell is different for everyone. I know for certain that I don't sense certain fragrances the same way as others do.
    Last edited by JonB; 26th September 2010 at 01:24 PM.