Code of Conduct
    oliverandco

Default How to reproduce my home-made formula for selling at stores?

I m planning to launch a new parfum to my brand.
    I make my formulas by drops, so... i am a little bit scary about reproduce this formula in a factory.

How should i proceed?

Anyone has the same situation?

Default Re: How to reproduce my home-made formula for selling at stores?

It's not really clear what your question is. Do you have your own factory? Are you planning on trying to sell your formula to someone who does have a factory? Even if you're making your own perfumes at home to market to stores, you obviously will have to measure by volume or weight, not drops.
    Blog: www.perfumenw.blogspot.com
    Website: Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes http://orchidscents.com.

mm.. just a thought, weight as many drops as possible on a very accurate scale, then you can make a conversation table.
    make the perfume according to your conversation, and compare. adjust if necessary.

oliverandco

i have my brand, and my candle factory, but not parfums factory. So i need to give the fórmula to any company which reproduce me in big quantities.
    i have a scale of 0.01g. do you think is enough?
    do i have to buy a 0.001g scale?
    what is the standard weight in industrial perfumery?

thanks for your help

I would imagine if it is an experienced perfume making company, they will put your sample in a gas chromatography machine anyway and be able to reproduce it accurately with or without your measured dose. No harm in asking them exactly what they need from you first.

I'm thrilled for your creation... It would be interesting to know what sort of costs are involved in producing something commercially if you felt like sharing such information later.

Industrial perfumery measurements are likely to be by the kg, not tiny fractions of a g. If you're only making 1 g at a time, my suggestion would be to make up 100g (or 100 ml) so that you don't have to worry about tiny measurements. If the company is going to reproduce your formula, they will need a large enough sample to work with anyway. Good luck with your endeavor!
    Blog: www.perfumenw.blogspot.com
    Website: Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes http://orchidscents.com.

Interesting point on Gas Chromatography. Alec Lawless has just written about trying to reproduce a fragrance recently on his blog. Do have a look if you're interested!

http://aleclawless.blogspot.com/2010...replicata.html

That is fascinating because I have long been after a certain fragrance and upon ever finding enough of it, wished to reproduce it for myself. I wondered what value a gas chromatography portrait would have to a layman. I also have no idea what it costs to get it done or how much of a sample is needed or whether the sample is ruined in the process.

If anyone knows these things, or if you find out Oliver, then please let us all know.

Just a thought Oliver. Quite an important one.

Have you let this new perfume of yours rest for a while before you think of giving it to anyone to copy?

If you haven't yet, then you may like to do so, I have read that the molecules need time to react and settle with each other. Otherwise your new commercial perfume may not smell the same as the one you intended.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    I wondered what value a gas chromatography portrait would have to a layman. I also have no idea what it costs to get it done or how much of a sample is needed or whether the sample is ruined in the process.
    if i remember correctly, they will need 10ml. and it will costs about $100.
    of course you do not get it back, it gets blown (well, heated) to pieces in the process.

www.perfumersworld.com offers it as a service.
    Last edited by gido; 30th September 2010 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gido View Post
    of course you do not get it back, it gets blown (well, heated) to pieces in the process.
    Well there I display my complete ignorance. I shan't send them my only sample then, it's too precious to me.

recreating an original formula, especially with naturals, is far from easy. with the naturals they can make an educated guess. but also the synthetics, you've got to have the right ones. from the right company. they smell different too. and when it's a old fragrance, the production process might have changed as well. and it might contain things you can't get anymore, like musk ambrette (which was a very common ingredient but totally banned now by law, i have tried to obtain some, it is still manufactured in india.. but they refuse to sell to the western world.)
    for oliver it could work, though. he knows exactly what materials are in it.

Is musk ambrette different to ambrette absolute?

musk ambrette is a nitro musk (a chemical). a good example of these kind of musks is vintage chanel no 5.
    ambrette absolute is ambrette seed, a natural (but it does smell musky).

the only nitro musk i have is musk ketone. hekserij.nl sells this for next to nothing.
    the old garde of perfumers seemed to agree that musk amberette was the nicest of all, musk ketone was very popular too. i've made several attempt to get my hands on some (i don't care that it's banned! i want to smell it, use it) but i have failed terribly. if i only had friends in india... <sight>

oliverandco

i am planning to launch my parfum for next year, so still i need to wait for a few months and smell it again and then if i like, go to the factory with the formula.

i would like to produce for myself, but i am not in the mood for law restrictions, licenses, and so on...

the only problem for my formula is the oakmoss, that seems to be banned by IFRA

oliverandco

for sure!

I would imagine if it is an experienced perfume making company, they will put your sample in a gas chromatography machine anyway and be able to reproduce it accurately with or without your measured dose. No harm in asking them exactly what they need from you first.

I'm thrilled for your creation... It would be interesting to know what sort of costs are involved in producing something commercially if you felt like sharing such information later.

Hi Oliver

Oakmoss isn't completely banned but is restricted by IFRA. Of course, following IFRA guidelines is voluntary. However, you need to be careful if selling perfumes commercially as you must abide by EU regulations that closely follow the IFRA guidelines.

Please get in touch with me directly to discuss production of your perfume - we might be able to help.

Best regards
    Sian

sian@essentially-me.co.uk
    http://www.essentially-me.co.uk

oliverandco

Hi Sian,

thanks so much for your advice.

I will message to you !

Best regards
    Oliver

Oliver, you need to clear your private messages as you are not PM-able right now.

oliverandco

i think already has done :-)

Oliver, you need to clear your private messages as you are not PM-able right now.