Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Got my Green Irish Tweed on Walgreens.com......did I make a mistake?

I purchased the 4oz flask online based on the recommendation of a fellow forum member. The bottle seems to be legitimate, however, I'm not sure how old this bottle is. The main reason for my concern is that they painted over the serial numbers on the back of the bottle. I can't think of any reason for this other than to hide how old the bottle truly is. Everything else seems to be in order, and it smells pretty similar to my 1oz bottle from NM... I can post a picture of it if somebody tells me how I can do that since I'm still learning my way around here. Does anybody know of any reason other than the one I'm leaning towards? And if so, what should I do? (also, I've seen people say that the 4oz bottle should look purplish when held to the light...this one still looks black...not sure if I'm holding it to enough light though..)

Default Re: Got my Green Irish Tweed on Walgreens.com......did I make a mistake?

There is no way Walmart would be selling anything but genuine product. Relax. You got a good price on good juice.
    Nice work!

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Got my Green Irish Tweed on Walgreens.com......did I make a mistake?

from my experience the serial numbers tell me nothing. Just a bunch of numbers.

Looks like everybody saw your post before I did and bought them all out! It seems like I'm always a day late and a dollar short - oh well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickins View Post
    There is no way Walmart would be selling anything but genuine product. Relax. You got a good price on good juice.
    Nice work!

-Slim
    Well it was Walgreens, but I agree with your point. I thought the middle numbers on the back of Creed fragrances gave an estimate to their time created. I think that it's definitely a real bottle, just not sure if I got a really old bottle, thus the discount and paint over the serial number...either way, I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if that has a real effect on the product. I just assumed that an older bottle wouldn't be quite as potent or durable on the skin...thanks for the feedback.

Post Thanks / Like

Dude, it's the real thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Dude, it's the real thing.
    That's what I figured..I was really only worried about how old it was...like I was saying before, I don't even know if that matters. It's just that I'm a little ignorant on the whole topic and I didn't want to get taken advantage of on my first online fragrance purchase...thanks again to everybody for the feedback...I'm sure I'll be bothering you with something else before too long.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post
    That's what I figured..I was really only worried about how old it was...like I was saying before, I don't even know if that matters. It's just that I'm a little ignorant on the whole topic and I didn't want to get taken advantage of on my first online fragrance purchase...thanks again to everybody for the feedback...I'm sure I'll be bothering you with something else before too long.
    It's not so much the age than it is the batch - always a crap shoot with many of the Creeds.
    Last edited by adonis; 25th September 2010 at 06:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

There is alltogether too much fretting over this shyt, especially among the newbs with Creeds.

It's Walgreens. It's real Creed.

Stop worrying and enjoy it.

Post Thanks / Like

Question would really be WHO painted over it, and why. How about you grab some paint thinner, and get that paint off there, and see what numbers are hiding underneath?

Like what if underneath the paint it says "MADE IN TAIWAN"
    Last edited by fsface; 26th September 2010 at 01:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    There is alltogether too much fretting over this shyt, especially among the newbs with Creeds.

It's Walgreens. It's real Creed.

Stop worrying and enjoy it.
    What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I think it's pretty much a right of passage around here. lol

What's next, GIT being sold on some blanket spread out on the sidewalk? How could Creed let this stuff get into the hands of any low-life who isn't driven around in a chauffeured limousine?

Walgreens...Walmart...Whatever. Now when I apply GIT I will always be thinking it might be worn by some freak pictured on this site:

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?page_id=9798

Ohh, the humanity!

Post Thanks / Like

Post a picture please. I was probably the person who recommended it, maybe not directly, but I have told people on the forum in threads that I've gotten GIT from the Walgreen's site. My experience was fine, the serial number was fine, my only complaint was that the box looked a little older, it didn't have that "Creed" print popping out all over the back like on the newer ones. While Creed may be expensive, less synthetic and more exclusive, it's not made with fresh lemons and newly puked up whale vomit. It's still a fragrance, it still has the same properties as any other fragrance, its contents still sit around for a long time before they're blended together and hit the shelves. To me, the shelf life of a Creed fragrance is no less than of any other fragrance. They sell vintage Creed frags (if you can find them) that are 50+ years old, that still smell fine. The whole thing with worrying I suppose is because you're spending so much on a fragrance, you want the freshest of course, but in theory, there's really no difference.

Nothing wrong with it. A lot of well established places are setting up E-stores, selling Creeds there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Post a picture please.

Can anybody tell me how to post one? I haven't done that on here before...

I dunno, by the box design of my GIT it's supposedly from a batch that is not so old but it doesn't smell to great at all to me. Instead of a lively fresh/clean I get a depressed fresh/clean smell that fades pretty much right into base and lasts maybe a couple hours. I got it from fragrancenet though. Gonna ship it back for another one tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Can anybody tell me how to post one? I haven't done that on here before...
    Yes, just upload a picture to tinypic or another image hosting site, copy the url (in tinypic's case it would be the last of the 4 url's) and when writing your next post here, click the image key with a little tree, when you hover over it it should say "insert image" which will prompt you to paste the URL.

Post Thanks / Like

This is what the back of the bottle looks like...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Post Thanks / Like

This is what the back of the bottle looks like...

Definitely not typical. Can you post more pics of the entire bottle, sprayer, etc. Also, was the box sealed, and most importantly does it smell authentic? In any event, if you feel you've been scammed, you can bring it to any Walgreen's store with your receipt, and they should refund you in store, no questions asked, furthermore you can explain that the bottles they are selling are not authentic or are old. Sorry you didn't have the luck that I did, I got a great bottle for a steal. A store like Walgreen's, Wal-Mart, or any other big chain, isn't going to deny you a refund.

You're fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Definitely not typical. Can you post more pics of the entire bottle, sprayer, etc. Also, was the box sealed, and most importantly does it smell authentic?

The box was sealed from what I could tell. It smells very similar to the bottle I got at NM, but doesn't last quite as long.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand, why would a store like Walgreens carry Creed? Think is ridiculous and I'm looking at Creed differently now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Castro View Post
    I don't understand, why would a store like Walgreens carry Creed? Think is ridiculous and I'm looking at Creed differently now.
    I found this opinion from another person(not that it's correct, just a thought):

I feel fairly comfortable in stating that Creed would not knowingly sell and ship sub-standard merchandise. Their #1 asset is their name, which has been derived from the quality of their product. They would not jeopardize it by putting their name on anything that doesn't meet their minimum standard. If it doesn't meet that standard they would probably throw it out.

I would also guess that Creed does not distribute their product themselves. They don't have a wide enough product range, sales volume, or customer base to justify their own warehousing, distribution and sales staff expenses.
    They have probably hired a sales agency/distributor who carries other cosmetics lines to act for them. Creed would probably have contractual restrictions as to whom the product could be sold. The agency probably has some leeway to sell outside Creed's normal customer base as long as Creed agrees that it won't affect their marketing plans.

This I am sure of. Walgreen's does not buy grey market goods. They purchase either directly from the manufacturer or from an authorized U.S. agency/distributor. Walgreen's does not buy from jobbers. They may buy a small quantity of non-perishable goods from a local supplier, but they would be in-store specials and not advertised.
    Walgreen's does not buy stale merchandise. The product would be current and made within the current year. If a supplier were to lie about the goods and be found out (very likely), they would be cut off from supplying a customer with 7,000+ outlets.
    Walgreen's does make massive one-time bulk purchases. This could be one of those. It could be an experiment on Walgreen's part to see if they can sell more up-scale fragrances. The timing is such that they probably feel that, at worst, they can sell out through the Christmas season.

Why would Creed do this? For the money of course.
    The economy may have noticeably affected their sales. Nieman Marcus/Saks/Bloomingdales may not be purchasing as much as they used to.
    I'm sure their existing customers aren't happy, but at this point they need Creed as much or more than Creed needs them. If sales fall off radically or it's more than a one time thing, that may change. I think Creed has calculated that it won't have a noticeable affect on either their name or their existing customers.
    It could also be an experiment on Creed's part. They could well be looking at separating their more exclusive fragrances into their existing outlets and mass marketing (within reason) some mainstream fragrances.

My money is on a one-time thing...for now. It's only 3 men's fragrances and 3 women's fragrances and they're not what I would consider their more exclusive fragrances.

Post Thanks / Like

Bottle and box look fine, it looks a little screwed up appearance wise, but other than that, looks fine. As for any concern with Walgreen's selling counterfeit fragrances, if this were the case, they would have lawsuits galore, they're a giant chain which means they buy all their stuff from reputable resources.

Regardless to popular belief on here, most websites sell authentic Creed's, they have a reputation to worry about, the reason their prices may be significantly lower varies. It could be old stock, overstock, it could be irregular in some way. the only places you're gonna find knockoffs are places that don't have a large base of customers such as Ebay stores and Amazon Marketplace stores. For a mass company like Walgreen's to sell knock off fragrances that don't imply they're knockoffs would be store suicide, they could very well go out of business.

Post Thanks / Like

If that were my bottle though, I'd get in touch with Walgreen's and tell them that you expected a little bit better quality from them, especially since the description didn't imply that the fragrance was used or tampered with.

Post Thanks / Like

If Walgreens is painting over serial numbers, then Creed needs to go after their asses, straight up! That isn't right, I don't care what anyone says. Report it to Creed and see what they have to say about this situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an idea, get on the phone and/or email to the folks over at Creed, and found if/why they are selling through Walgreens, if the product is legit, and if so - why is there paint over the serial numbers (or whatever is painted over).

A lot of outcry from just one account. I also purchased a bottle from Walgreens, purchased with a discount actually... and my serial number is not painted over A3209X03 and it doesn't have any of that "drippy" stuff on his either. It looks just like my older bottle that I replaced from Nordstrom.

It smells the same - well actually fresher - and it lasts just as long, if not longer than the older 4oz bottle as well as my 1oz bottle.

I think whomever distributed this to Walgreens should be in question; if it's Creed, then ask them. But I can remember grabbing a bottle of OV via Costco too.
    Hi, I'm William | removethelabels.com | Yep! This Is My Moving Sale Thread
    My Decant & Bottles Swap Thread | I need a Creed Original Vetiver cap...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fsface View Post
    Here's an idea, get on the phone and/or email to the folks over at Creed, and found if/why they are selling through Walgreens, if the product is legit, and if so - why is there paint over the serial numbers (or whatever is painted over).
    I sent an email to Creed...just mentioned the paint,etc...we'll see what they say.

Point Blank

Why to Creed? I don't get it. What can they say? "Oh, yes, that one bottle we sent to Walgreens, we messed it up as a prank. No worries though, the stuff is legit."?

You should of course contact Walgreens, ask them if they ever cover the serial number, if they say no, ask to exchange your bottle, because it's obviously not from their standard selection.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    Why to Creed? I don't get it. What can they say? "Oh, yes, that one bottle we sent to Walgreens, we messed it up as a prank. No worries though, the stuff is legit."?

You should of course contact Walgreens, ask them if they ever cover the serial number, if they say no, ask to exchange your bottle, because it's obviously not from their standard selection.
    I did contact Walgreens...they haven't called me back after their "investigation"...I only contacted Creed to see if it was common for them to paint over serial numbers on bottles that are sent to other distributors to be sold for a discount rate.

I only own 1 Creed (Original Vetiver) that I got from fragrancenet. I never thought about looking at the serial number because it smelled great when I got it, and now, 2 years and 3/4 of a bottle later, it still smells great. But after reading this thread I decided to check out the serial number, just for poops and laughs, and lo and behold, it isn't there! Mine wasn't painted over though, it was completely chipped off!

But I'm still not worried about it. When I got it, it smelled identical to the sample I got from the Perfumed Court.

Theres no big mystery here. Many of the unauthorized online sellers of creed have these numbers ground off and painted over. And its not the sellers doing it, its the people distributing it. Someone down the line, is an authorized distributor and they are diverting the stock to these companies. Removing the lot #'s prevents it being traced back to them, which could cause them to lose their distributorship with Creed.

Some bottles have them removed some dont. Im sure its whoever the distributor is buying from (multiple sources im sure). Which then sells them to places like walgreens, fragrancenet etc. Infact its probably the same company that sells to both of those.

If it were fake, it would also have a fake lot#. No counterfeiter would do something like that which would obviously raise red flags with consumers.

So if you get one thats had the lot # removed, its because you got a real one, and they dont want Creed knowing where it came from.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SJRTX View Post
    Theres no big mystery here. Many of the unauthorized online sellers of creed have these numbers ground off and painted over. And its not the sellers doing it, its the people distributing it. Someone down the line, is an authorized distributor and they are diverting the stock to these companies. Removing the lot #'s prevents it being traced back to them, which could cause them to lose their distributorship with Creed.

Some bottles have them removed some dont. Im sure its whoever the distributor is buying from (multiple sources im sure). Which then sells them to places like walgreens, fragrancenet etc. Infact its probably the same company that sells to both of those.

If it were fake, it would also have a fake lot#. No counterfeiter would do something like that which would obviously raise red flags with consumers.

So if you get one thats had the lot # removed, its because you got a real one, and they dont want Creed knowing where it came from.
    Very interesting points...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SJRTX View Post

He's right. This argument makes the most sense and I've heard it made more than once.

I think you can rest assured you got a legit and probably fairly current product. It's not as though this was purchased from some eBay seller with a questionable reputation. This came from a reputable source. If you're really that paranoid, demand a refund (or exchange) and buy another bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

On a side note, I got another bottle of GIT and it smells nothing like the other two I have...I'm beginning to see why people on here have said that you never know with Creeds....I actually like the smell of the one I was concerned about more than the ones I bought from Neiman Marcus...crazy...

Post Thanks / Like

On a side note, I got another bottle of GIT and it smells nothing like the other two I have...I'm beginning to see why people on here have said that you never know with Creeds....I actually like the smell of the one I was concerned about more than the ones I bought from Neiman Marcus...crazy...
    I got a fake bottle of GIT and I think I liked the juice even more than the real deal. This was early in my hobby, so perhaps my experience would be different now.

Post Thanks / Like

^^^ Very interesting... I've read a lot of complaints on here about Fragrancenet...one of the bottles I got through Walgreens that actually has a visible serial number indicates "batch" 2010...so I'm assuming it's a newer bottle...although, I've read so many different interpretations of the serial number I don't know what it means. Anyway, thanks for all the feedback.. I'm enjoying the fragrance, so I'm happy for the time being.

Did Walgreens or Creed contact you about your inquiries?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it was a mistake
    a good economical decision is more like it!
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolCharm View Post
    Did Walgreens or Creed contact you about your inquiries?
    I talked to Walgreens and they sent me out a new one with a serial number with "10" as the middle number...same as my one from NM...however, I actually think the original one I got from them with the numbers painted over smelled much stronger. I've read from a couple people on here that Creed is supposed to "age" and smell more potent as time goes on up until it starts to decline....but I don't know if there's any truth to that. Also, it seems to have a little stronger of alcohol than the first one. Oh well...smells pretty good either way.

I wrote to CREED regarding Walgreens selling CREED perfumes. Here is the reply:

"Thank you for thinking of CREED and for writing.

The store you mention is not an authorized retailer of CREED. That means it
    does not obtain its products from this company, the only authorized
    distribution channel for CREED products in North America by exclusive legal
    agreement with the CREED family and company in Paris.

In the US, authorized retailers of CREED include Neiman Marcus (and
    www.neimanmarcus.com) as well as www.creedboutique.com.

For the protection of consumers, we urge purchasing only from these and
    other authorized retailers, including Bergdorf Goodman, select
    Bloomingdale's stores, select Nordstrom's locations and the CREED boutique
    at 794 Madison Avenue at 67th Street in New York (1.877.273.3344).

Other retailers may offer products that are aged, defective, discarded or
    counterfeit.

CREED works with government and others to combat unauthorized sales, and
    there are many success stories. However, an informed consumer is the best
    defense.

I hope this information is helpful.

To stay informed of the latest CREED news, please sign up for our free
    e-newsletter here: http://tinyurl.com/6dt3mc5. Or sign up for CREED text
    alerts by texting CREED to 25827. (Standard rates apply.) Or follow CREED
    on Facebook, www.facebook.com/creedboutique or Twitter,
    www.twitter.com/creedboutique.

Respectfully,

Adam E. B. Brecht
    Vice President
    Corporate Communications
    International Cosmetics & Perfumes, Inc.
    30 West 21st Street 7th Floor
    New York, New York 10010
    office: 212.643.1149
    cell: 917.385.2977
    fax: 212.643.0263
    www.icperfumes.com "

So, Is Walgreens selling grey market products which could be fake or manufactured with lower standards or quality?

Probably just older stock.

Cmax...

thanks newbie for bumping old and annoying thread, one of only about a million others regarding this product.
    why dont you ask Creed why they keep selling their aged and defective stock in such huge quantities? They are just having it at both ends like the upmarket slut we all know they are

Post Thanks / Like

wow, basically creed sent back a generic answer.
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I sent an email to Creed...just mentioned the paint,etc...we'll see what they say.
    Let me take a guess: buy only from us... even if you pay double and the product isn't any better.

We'll nevertheless appreciate your business. Erwin needs a new Ferrari (-;

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mazeltov View Post
    Let me take a guess: buy only from us... even if you pay double and the product isn't any better.

We'll nevertheless appreciate your business. Erwin needs a new Ferrari (-;
    Have you met WildThingy?

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am new to Creed. I have bought only from two online stores. Walgreens and Perfume.com. Not knowing what Creed smells like from Marcus or directly from Creed I cant compare, but this is what I found.

GIT and OV from walgreens both smeel great, nothing strange about the btls and look like the btls in every way from the Creed Boutq. Neither last all day but both are decent. I do get 4 or 5 hours with wiffs here and ther a few hrs after that. I really do not think a business like walgreens will sell bad or imitiated product and I think their buyers know what to look for in bad product.

I bought Creed orininal Santal from perfume .com and again, the btl looks legit and the product smells great and lasts the same 4-5 hrs, maybe 6 hrs.

Both stores had the middle eastern little lable, so I dont know whats up with that, but I really feel I bought the real deal. walgreens is too big to get suckered into buying crap and they would not want to take that chance..IMHO.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

If its from fragrancenet, it's legit... And if it doesn't smell rancid, you're good... Longevity varied with creeds... So the age of juice won't effect that