Code of Conduct

Default What's a good peony scent?

I'm a landscaper so I love peonies, and in particular like the smell of the cultivar 'Festiva Maxima' which has a particularly nice perfume. Something about peony is kind of "off" in terms of of florals, some can be quite stinky and sulfurous or has a musky-chalkiness that I've yet to smell accurately in any perfume or cologne that I know of. Any peony dominant scents out there for men to wear and not feel like dripping of petals?

Default Re: What's a good peony scent?

It's rather difficult since it's mostly used in fragrances marketed for women and they all have a more "flowery" aspect to them thanks to the pairing with other ingredients like headier white florals (tuberose, white rose, jasmin etc).

you might want to check out a more "unisex" scent like Marc Jacobs's Splash Violet, TF's White Patchouli (the elegant/hippy peony), rochas's reflets d'eau, B&BW's rainkissed leaves which is more of a green grass scent...

on the more conventionally masculine side we find Police Interactive for Him and V&R's Antidote for men

oh and even if hermès Un Jardin sur le Nil doesn't "officially" have peony it certainly smells like it has some at the heart of the scent. must be the hyachinth and lotus.
    also, the allegedly unisex Rose Ikebana by Hermès also has some peony

Hope this helps and cheers!

and happy hunting.

Dzongkha has peonies, lots.

Chemical Bonding from Ineke

Histoires de Parfim Vert Pivoine (Green Peony) seems to have some good reviews for doing peony justice.

I haven't tried it myself but given the overall high quality I have found with HdP (I own a few) I would suggest this might be worth checking out.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I'm not all that familiar with peony scents but I agree with Histoires de Parfums' Vert Pivoine. I find it very pleasantly wearable.

Quote Originally Posted by Augusta View Post
    Dzongkha has peonies, lots.
    Lurv the peonies in Dzongkha.

Hillaire

As you may know, the peony cannot be processed and no natural peony essential oil has ever been made. Moreover, as I understand it, the peony has been an evasive note in chemical perfumery. Therefore the peony in perfume is an accord of different notes, always dominated by rose, and though different interpretations have appeared, it is arguable whether a truly good peony scent has ever been replicated, but some fragrances do seem unequivocally to evoke the peony.
    My favorite is Vert Pivoine.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    Therefore the peony in perfume is an accord of different notes, always dominated by rose, and though different interpretations have appeared, it is arguable whether a truly good peony scent has ever been replicated, but some fragrances do seem unequivocally to evoke the peony.
    Yes, and the chemicals generally used to convey that smell are usually Geraniol 980 Pure an Peomosa.

Well that explains why I'm struggling to find some good peony scents. My two faves at the moment are Vert Pivoine (which most people have mentioned) and Cinema. I know, I had to try Cinema a few times before I could identify the peony note, but now I really can detect it. Someone recommended Tarantella to me awhile ago, which doesn't have peony listed amongst it's notes but is reminiscent of it to me and an unusual perfume that you won't find everyone else wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    As you may know, the peony cannot be processed and no natural peony essential oil has ever been made. Moreover, as I understand it, the peony has been an evasive note in chemical perfumery. Therefore the peony in perfume is an accord of different notes, always dominated by rose, and though different interpretations have appeared, it is arguable whether a truly good peony scent has ever been replicated, but some fragrances do seem unequivocally to evoke the peony.

Another scent that features peony is Eau d'Italie Paestum Rose where the dewyness is given by peony

Banned

Ineke Chemical Bonding is a unisex peony-centric scent. It wears like a citrus cologne but peony is a dominant note.

I have found this to be a challenge - I tried peony oil from a wholesale distributor about an year or so ago. I found it to be astoundingly close to the citrusy "rose-lite" aroma of natural peonies. And that was before I came to know that its near impossible to extract the oil from the flowers.

However I did persist and found some good examples of peony use in fragrances... the latest of which was Chloe EDP for women . I was surprised by its well rendered peony and leechee top notes...the scent persists well. Definitely feminine, but worth a try.
    -

Dzongkha

These are marketed to women and very floral, but I enjoy Guerlain Acqua Allegoria Pivoine Magnifica, L'Occitane Peony EDT and Stella McCartney Peony.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Thanks so much y'all. I'm gonna hunt down samples of most of these as I seem to need a peony "fix" in almost all seasons!

I am bumping this thread and also saying thanks for all the suggestions. Are there any newer releases that have a good slug of peony in them?
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Sound Scents

Rose Cut by Ann Gérard... and it is a great one at that.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

L'Eau d'Issey is a notorious peony hallmarked concoction as well as Eau d'Italie Un Bateau Pour Capri and the Chloe' (new) by Chloe'.

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    It's rather difficult since it's mostly used in fragrances marketed for women
    I do agree with this, but you may wanna try "Sleeping with Ghost" that is marketed for women and men
    Perfume lovers of the world UNITE!!!!!