Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man: Initial Impressions

Thanks for your great review

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    How does this compare to Wonderwood? Any one try both extensively?
    I find them quite different, hedonist.

Memoir Man has a real personality going for it - the shift from dark green absinthe into smouldering ashes is very Heathcliffian for me. I think it's a unique piece of work, artistic and quietly satisfying.

Wonderwood (which I don't own) is nice enough but when push comes to shove it seems to me to be a sort of Remix Compilation of a few of the CdGs - take a bit of Palisander, Hinoki, Sequoia etc. etc. and there you have it. Nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't bring a hell of a lot to the table that wasn't already there IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I find them quite different, hedonist.

Memoir Man has a real personality going for it - the shift from dark green absinthe into smouldering ashes is very Heathcliffian for me. I think it's a unique piece of work, artistic and quietly satisfying.

Wonderwood (which I don't own) is nice enough but when push comes to shove it seems to me to be a sort of Remix Compilation of a few of the CdGs - take a bit of Palisander, Hinoki, Sequoia etc. etc. and there you have it. Nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't bring a hell of a lot to the table that wasn't already there IMO.
    Thanks mr.reasonable.

I can see how you find a lot of resemblance from other CDGs in WW. I also get some hints of Ouarzazate in WW.

I'll need to try Memoir Man again. Does it have oud in it? If so, is it prominent?
    for swap/sale:

Power Where You Need It

I'll need to try Memoir Man again. Does it have oud in it? If so, is it prominent?
    No oud at all Hedonist. A much underrated fragrance IMO.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Sound Scents

To me they smell nothing alike, and Wonderwood is light years better, IMO.

Memoir definitely smells unique, but that burnt rubber accord I get on my skin after the fresh, amazing top notes is overpoweringly loud, sour and bitter, and makes the scent unwearable in my case. It could be a skin chemistry issue with me, but if not, then Memoir may be my least favorite of the line.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    To me they smell nothing alike, and Wonderwood is light years better, IMO.

Memoir definitely smells unique, but that burnt rubber accord I get on my skin after the fresh, amazing top notes is overpoweringly loud, sour and bitter, and makes the scent unwearable in my case. It could be a skin chemistry issue with me, but if not, then Memoir may be my least favorite of the line.
    Thanks for the input drseid. Have you smelled Gomma and/or Eau du Fier?
    Is the burned rubber accord similar?
    for swap/sale:

Sound Scents

Thanks for the input drseid. Have you smelled Gomma and/or Eau du Fier?
    Sorry, I can't comment on those two as I have never smelled them before. :-(
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Power Where You Need It

Gomma and/or Eau du Fier?
    Nothing alike Hed. Memoir is one of those fragrances that personally I'm not able to describe. Sort of smoky leather fougere with a severe character. On top of this I get a dark green aromatic presence (wormood/basil/mint) that adds a mysterious and intriguing juxtaposition. Enigmatic to say the least.

I find Memoir Man has way more going on. It lacks the peppery aspect of Wonderwood and smells much fuller.
    My personal experience with Memoir was that I didn't like it at first, and now I couldn't do without it.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Sorry, I can't comment on those two as I have never smelled them before. :-(
    Well we'll have to do something about that don't we

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Nothing alike Hed. Memoir is one of those fragrances that personally I'm not able to describe. Sort of smoky leather fougere with a severe character. On top of this I get a dark green aromatic presence (wormood/basil/mint) that adds a mysterious and intriguing juxtaposition. Enigmatic to say the least.
    Thanks for elaborating. How does it compare to Or Black?
    I know I can just go out and try it (today also, the department store is 5 minutes from my home) but these questions will help those who are interested in Memoir but don't have access to Memoir or Or Black or other comparatives.

Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    I find Memoir Man has way more going on. It lacks the peppery aspect of Wonderwood and smells much fuller.
    My personal experience with Memoir was that I didn't like it at first, and now I couldn't do without it.
    Thanks. I'll definitely try it soon.
    Have wee bit of a cold now.
    for swap/sale:

When all is said and done, I think this is my favorite Amouage scent to date. It's so dark and yet relatively introspective, intellectual and emotional; seductive not through ostentatious charm but by cool and collected confidence and grace. And the evolution from life to death, green forests to ash, experience to memory; sublime!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    When all is said and done, I think this is my favorite Amouage scent to date. It's so dark and yet relatively introspective, intellectual and emotional; seductive not through ostentatious charm but by cool and collected confidence and grace. And the evolution from life to death, green forests to ash, experience to memory; sublime!
    SoS, I love what you said and how you said it! A TERRIFIC 3-liners! (if it makes any sense..)

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Wife: "Dear, did you leave the stove on? I thought I smell gas."
    Me: "Hey that happens to be my favorite Amouage fragrance."

There is definitely something mysterious going on in Memoir Man. Like a petroleum vibe.

Power Where You Need It

Thanks for elaborating. How does it compare to Or Black?
    I'm not so good in scentific and analytic (objective) comparisons but overall I'd say I don't get many similarities bewteen the two. Or Black (which is another favorite of mine) has a strong saturine power, is boldly mossy and definitely less intellectual (to say it with SoS's words). Memoir is more restrained and less expansive while still mantaining a considerable unsettling/misterious character.

SoS, I love what you said and how you said it! A TERRIFIC 3-liners! (if it makes any sense..)
    Sometimes I think I'm laying it on a bit thick, but this is one of those scents where I don't care if the artistry of the evolution and how it ties to the theme is just a creation of my mind or not; the point is that it's there and I experience it and it is deeply satisfying.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Wife: "Dear, did you leave the stove on? I thought I smell gas."
    Me: "Hey that happens to be my favorite Amouage fragrance."

There is definitely something mysterious going on in Memoir Man. Like a petroleum vibe.
    Second time in one hour I hear the term petroleum vibe....alfarom just mentioned it in private chat... Arghhgh my weakness

I'm not so good in scentific and analytic (objective) comparisons but overall I'd say I don't get many similarities bewteen the two. Or Black (which is another favorite of mine) has a strong saturine power, is boldly mossy and definitely less intellectual (to say it with SoS's words). Memoir is more restrained and less expansive while still mantaining a considerable unsettling/misterious character.
    I can understand that. Thanks.

Sometimes I think I'm laying it on a bit thick, but this is one of those scents where I don't care if the artistry of the evolution and how it ties to the theme is just a creation of my mind or not; the point is that it's there and I experience it and it is deeply satisfying.
    The way you expressed it just now is one of the primary reasons people gravitate towards perfume forums.
    Otherwise we'd be stuck with marketing jibberish and clinical note pyramids.
    for swap/sale:

Or Black is predominantly a birchtar/leather and incense fragrance in my book. I don't get any leather in Memoir Man at all. They definitely share the dark/brooding vibe as well as incense and some smokiness but that's about it for me. Memoir is much "greener" and is constantly changing back and forth while Or Black slowly fades from the heartnotes to the basenotes (the current version seems to do this significantly quicker and is overall a bit brighter, IMO).

I love Memoirs topnotes and I am intrigued by its concept and development but the woody base is where it kind of falls flat for me. I can't help it but I feel it smells increasingly plastic in its late drydown.

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    Or Black slowly fades from the heartnotes to the basenotes (the current version seems to do this significantly quicker and is overall a bit brighter, IMO).
    Nasenmann, can you believe that since you sent me the 50ml of the current formulation of Or Black, I haven't compared it with my vintage bottle yet? Thanks for reminding me of that

If Memoir stirs up your emotions, you need to smell Epic. Inspired by the "ancient Silk Road from China to Arabia". Which is a perfect description.

Quote Originally Posted by Tropics View Post
    If Memoir stirs up your emotions, you need to smell Epic. Inspired by the "ancient Silk Road from China to Arabia". Which is a perfect description.
    I love Epic too, actually, and I think it is moving into the #2 spot in my list of favorite Amouage scents. It's SO self assured and has a sort of ascetic/spiritualistic and yet regal duality.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

This one did nothing for me though I only tested it quickly in a store. I need to re-test this one.
    Currently wearing: Patchouli by Murdock

I love Epic too, actually, and I think it is moving into the #2 spot in my list of favorite Amouage scents. It's SO self assured and has a sort of ascetic/spiritualistic and yet regal duality.
    Okay, I think we're getting a little ahead of ourselves here. Lol Spitualistic? C'mon Sculpture! Lol It's a good fragrances, I will admit. Upon initial application, I wasn't too thrilled with it, but it soon really grew on me. But we're doing a bit much with some of these adjectives here. lol

While I am fairly new here, I love these descriptions/adjectives. I find it to be quite spiritual....and creamy.

I think SOS is a master scent critic. It's not easy to express yourself the way he does.

I never tire of Amouage Epic Man, it just seems to get better and better the longer you own it. Wore it today and i cannot stop sniffing my arm even 14hrs after spraying.

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    Okay, I think we're getting a little ahead of ourselves here. Lol Spitualistic? C'mon Sculpture! Lol It's a good fragrances, I will admit. Upon initial application, I wasn't too thrilled with it, but it soon really grew on me. But we're doing a bit much with some of these adjectives here. lol
    I think "spiritualistic" is an appropriate adjective to describe Memoir. Scents are often incorporated into spiritual practices. If oils, smoke and incense can touch someone at a spiritual level, why not a fragrance? We are writing about something invisible, so we write what we feel.
    Last edited by MikeNY; 6th March 2012 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY View Post
    I think "spiritualistic" is an appropriate adjective to describe Memoir. Scents are often incorporated into spiritual practices. If oils, smoke and incense can touch someone at a spiritual level, why not a fragrance? We are writing about something invisible, so we write what we feel.
    I think so too. Very spiritual and grounding -- bringing a sense of calm to my urban life. I love wearing it out on cold misty grey days.

Epic's huge incense note, and abundant oud and myrrh definitely do call to mind spiritual practices for me. The way Epic doesn't over-polish these notes is why I say it is both ascetic in nature, and spiritual - it embraces rather than apologizes for its challenging nature.

I actually find Memoir to be more of an existentially grounding scent rather than spiritual, although I suppose the former and the latter are not so different, really.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

...oops, double post
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

You're just mad that I don't love Reflection as much anymore.

Reflection is turning on me. It sucks that I can't smell it like I used to. I love the opening still, and the first 30 minutes to an hour, but then it gets weird on me and I do get the corn tortilla note and other just kind of random, synthetic unpleasantness. I don't know what happened.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I've seen mention of a burnt rubber accord a few times in this thread... and honestly today was the first time I picked up on that. I always smelled something way back in there that I didn't agree with... but found a deal on Memoir, jumped on it.

It's a burnt, almost greasy smell... but it's only in the transition from top notes to mid-notes for me. Then it's gone. That's the only part of the scent I dislike.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread