Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 121 to 144 of 144
  1. #121

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man: Initial Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    I've seen mention of a burnt rubber accord a few times in this thread... and honestly today was the first time I picked up on that. I always smelled something way back in there that I didn't agree with... but found a deal on Memoir, jumped on it.

    It's a burnt, almost greasy smell... but it's only in the transition from top notes to mid-notes for me. Then it's gone. That's the only part of the scent I dislike.
    I think I know exactly what you are all talking about and I pick it up too, but to me it registers more as a skunky note. I get some of this in natural wormwood, and I've no doubt it is contributing to the effect as the thujonic top notes of the wormwood oil disappear and leave the bitter green remains.

    I actually really love the effect, because it is relatively short lived on me (seems to appear only from the 10-30 minute mark, and most often only lasts rather perceptibly for maybe 5 minutes).
    ***For sale:

    Iris Pallida 50ml

    Ungaro I 75ml

    and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

  2. #122
    Sound Scents
    drseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Northern VA/DC Area
    Posts
    5,926
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man: Initial Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I think I know exactly what you are all talking about and I pick it up too, but to me it registers more as a skunky note. I get some of this in natural wormwood, and I've no doubt it is contributing to the effect as the thujonic top notes of the wormwood oil disappear and leave the bitter green remains.

    I actually really love the effect, because it is relatively short lived on me (seems to appear only from the 10-30 minute mark, and most often only lasts rather perceptibly for maybe 5 minutes).
    That might explain my dislike for the scent. It is sounding more and more like it *is* a skin chemistry issue with me, as that burnt rubber accord appears after 1 minute, and stays on my skin in full force for hours until the scent goes away. It overpowers all other notes on me.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

    6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,806
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man: Initial Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    That might explain my dislike for the scent. It is sounding more and more like it *is* a skin chemistry issue with me, as that burnt rubber accord appears after 1 minute, and stays on my skin in full force for hours until the scent goes away. It overpowers all other notes on me.
    I assumed that was some oud in there.

  4. #124
    Super Member srellim1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    217
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man: Initial Impressions

    I know that for me, this was the one that sent me down the path to niche. I am a novice, but prior to smelling this, I did not know that something like this could exist. I would check the forums wondering why my John Varvatos didn't last very long. When I finally smelled Memoir there was a resounding 'OHHHH'. Spiritual or otherwise, one does quite a bit of research prior to spending that much for a bottle of perfume. As I said before, it was the beautiful description by SOS in the original few posts that helped me to realize that I was not entirely crazy for wanting to do so... and, you know, it smells creamy...

  5. #125
    Super Member srellim1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    217
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man: Initial Impressions

    It is interesting to me though, how many people seem to have identified Epic and Memoir as sort of brother and sister scents. I was initially torn between the two as well and ultimately purchased the bottle of Memoir because it was smoother and a little bit more of an every day wear. I then bought 15ml worth of Epic because I had to have it on hand for special occasions.

  6. #126

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man: Initial Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    It seems that memoir man has an excellent sillage and longevity. I sprayed my sample on me at 7:00 am, and when i got at home, 8:00pm, my sister told me that my smell stayed during all the day on the kitchen. She told me: "that Hermés you wore today got impregnated on that point of the kichen" (she pointed to where i was standing when i sprayed memoir man). She thought it was Eau des Merveilles, her favorite.
    Memoir Man has the same problem as Opus II has to me, which is execution problems. I love the way they open on skin, but what comes next in both is not memorable. They created a dark concept, based on a black swam, which is not achieved. It smells good, but it lacks something. Maybe they should have explored more the smoky, resinous aroma of the incense in contrast with the wormwood and mint, and really used the leather and moss at the base to make the tobacco woody aura less generic. It would have been terrific, but they way it is present it`s just great. I can see that it`s pleasant, but i don`t see myself spending 300 dollars on this one. I hope that it satisfies someone more than it satisfied me...
    Rick, it's funny that she said that so long ago. I'm wearing Memoir Man again (third day in a row!) and just earlier in the day revisited Eau des Merveilles. I now get a strong connection between them - they share a particular creamy note - I think it's something in the amber/ambergris accord in each. I'm 99% sure that this is the same ingredient/aromachemical shared between them. I'd love to know what it is. Many have described Eau des Merveilles as being creamy, and I've read a few times people picking up on an 'inkiness' in EdM, and surely Memoir shares the creaminess and inky facets.

    Does anyone else pick up a similarity between the two scents? I'm not saying that the final products smell alike - I'm just curious if anyone else would agree that the creamy/inky facet is shared between the two scents.

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,806
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man: Initial Impressions

    I don't know Eau des Merveilles, but I tried Givenchy Insense the other day, and couldn't believe how much it reminded me of Memoir Man.

    And thanks for this thread--it inspired me to pick up a bottle.

  8. #128
    Super Member racuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    209
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man: Initial Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I think I know exactly what you are all talking about and I pick it up too, but to me it registers more as a skunky note. I get some of this in natural wormwood, and I've no doubt it is contributing to the effect as the thujonic top notes of the wormwood oil disappear and leave the bitter green remains.

    I actually really love the effect, because it is relatively short lived on me (seems to appear only from the 10-30 minute mark, and most often only lasts rather perceptibly for maybe 5 minutes).
    I wore Memoir Man for the first time yesterday. Seven hours later I was sitting at home with the windows open. I thought I smelled a skunk. I asked my wife if she smelled it, but she didn't.

    After reading what SculptureOfSoul wrote, I just realised that it was the skunky, burnt rubber note in Memoir Man.

  9. #129
    Dorje123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,335
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man: Initial Impressions

    I loved the opening, but the drydown is primarily iso-e super, which I didn't like. It makes the base seem cheap and one dimensional, and basically ruined the frag for me. This could have been great, but the perfumer cut corners and made a cheap synthetic base for a frag that is not cheap and really deserves better.

  10. #130
    Power Where You Need It
    alfarom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,047
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man: Initial Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    I tried Givenchy Insense the other day, and couldn't believe how much it reminded me of Memoir Man.
    I don't know why yet, but makes somehow sense...let me do a side by sde test...


    Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

  11. #131

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man: Initial Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    I loved the opening, but the drydown is primarily iso-e super, which I didn't like. It makes the base seem cheap and one dimensional, and basically ruined the frag for me. This could have been great, but the perfumer cut corners and made a cheap synthetic base for a frag that is not cheap and really deserves better.
    It had been a long time since I wore this, and then I wore it for the last 3 days in a row as I really fell in love with it all over again. There *is* a bit much iso e super in it though - enough that it actually causes me a bit of discomfort in my throat (TdH and all other iso e super heavy frags do this to me, too ). It seems that many of the frags I love are ies heavy, which is just cruel as they cause me some amount of discomfort (7 by Loewe comes to mind, too).

    I sprayed this onto a piece of paper, and then Escentric's Molecule 01 onto another piece of paper and followed their progression over the course of a few days. There's definitely a lot more still going on in the base of Memoir than *just* iso e (there's still a smoky element, some guiac, a creamy musk, a vetiver note (the same vetiver that sames to be paired w/ ies in Encre Noire) and a vanilla/chocolate note), but there's enough iso e there for it to be recognizable. I don't think it's fair to say that it's primarily ies, but for those sensitive to or those who just have an aversion to ies, yes, the base will be a disappointment.

    I too wish that the ies was reduced a bit in the fragrance. It's still overall my favorite fragrance, but I don't know how much I can wear it if it continues to cause me discomfort .

  12. #132
    Dorje123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,335
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man: Initial Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    It had been a long time since I wore this, and then I wore it for the last 3 days in a row as I really fell in love with it all over again. There *is* a bit much iso e super in it though - enough that it actually causes me a bit of discomfort in my throat (TdH and all other iso e super heavy frags do this to me, too ). It seems that many of the frags I love are ies heavy, which is just cruel as they cause me some amount of discomfort (7 by Loewe comes to mind, too).

    I sprayed this onto a piece of paper, and then Escentric's Molecule 01 onto another piece of paper and followed their progression over the course of a few days. There's definitely a lot more still going on in the base of Memoir than *just* iso e (there's still a smoky element, some guiac, a creamy musk, a vetiver note (the same vetiver that sames to be paired w/ ies in Encre Noire) and a vanilla/chocolate note), but there's enough iso e there for it to be recognizable. I don't think it's fair to say that it's primarily ies, but for those sensitive to or those who just have an aversion to ies, yes, the base will be a disappointment.

    I too wish that the ies was reduced a bit in the fragrance. It's still overall my favorite fragrance, but I don't know how much I can wear it if it continues to cause me discomfort .
    That's true, I was a little harsh because it started out so good, but then I ended up disappointed with it. I also have gotten more sensitive to iso-e super over time. The base definitely isn't just iso-e, but to me it was the dominant note... it kind of carries everything else on waves of fuzzy, cedary sillage.

  13. #133

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man: Initial Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    That's true, I was a little harsh because it started out so good, but then I ended up disappointed with it. I also have gotten more sensitive to iso-e super over time. The base definitely isn't just iso-e, but to me it was the dominant note... it kind of carries everything else on waves of fuzzy, cedary sillage.
    I wonder if there was some technical reason that the perfumer utilized ies as she did. I hope that I can become less sensitive to ies (I went from being SUPER sensitive to it, to a sensitivity level that is 'moderately above normal'), although I'm not sure that that is the only note bothering me here (or in TdH or 7, for that matter). It's just not fair that the closest thing I've found to a grail causes me pain to wear. Perhaps I'll become the first 'perfume martyr'

  14. #134
    Duke Hunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Chocolate Factory
    Posts
    2,788
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man: Initial Impressions

    I just came back from the Amouage store, count me in as somebody who is torn between Memoir and Epic man. I've got samples of both which I'm going to test over the next few days, but boy it's going to be a tough one! My initial instinctive reaction led me to prefer Epic, since it packed a wallop and continued to steam along strong showboating its complexity and "amouageness" whilst Memoir seemed to trail off and seem subtle and elusive rather abruptly. Go figure I get home and give my left hand a liberal spray of Memoir and now it's coming into perspective, I'm really starting to like it a lot more now, very curious to see how it develops.

  15. #135
    Dependent LloydLlewellyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Brussels
    Posts
    1,653
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man: Initial Impressions

    I find Memoir much more complex than Epic.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

  16. #136
    mr. reasonable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,362
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man: Initial Impressions

    Memoir Man has a bit more of a story to tell, I think. After the stroll thru the woods as the light fades you are confronted with smouldering embers in a fireplace - the dark frankincense that emerges after the amazing greenery is wonderfully austere, one of the best IMO.

    Personally I find Epic Woman more interesting than Man - a lot of the same Silk Road story herbal and medicinal facets but a bit more flora in evidence, without the relentless linearity.

    They're all good - tough choice, huh?

  17. #137
    Duke Hunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Chocolate Factory
    Posts
    2,788
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man: Initial Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Memoir Man has a bit more of a story to tell, I think. After the stroll thru the woods as the light fades you are confronted with smouldering embers in a fireplace - the dark frankincense that emerges after the amazing greenery is wonderfully austere, one of the best IMO.

    Personally I find Epic Woman more interesting than Man - a lot of the same Silk Road story herbal and medicinal facets but a bit more flora in evidence, without the relentless linearity.

    They're all good - tough choice, huh?
    Yes! I think this one may come down to a coin toss.

  18. #138
    FumeHood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    São Paulo
    Posts
    173
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man: Initial Impressions

    +1 for Memoir. (and another +1 for preferring Epic's feminine blend to the masculine one).

    Depending on what you do, you might have trouble wearing Epic Man frequently - it really is a fog horn and most of the comments I get when I wear it pertain to its strength (with a mere 2 sprays) more than its beauty. I bought it a full year prior to Memoir yet have hardly managed to put a dent in that green bottle. Memoir is incredibly versatile. Cool in the summer, warming in the winter.

    Memoir Man never ceases to impress.
    Having Simultaneous Affairs with: Amouage Memoir Man, Fate Man, Interlude Man, Epic Extrait (yep... the femme version), Tribute, Homage, Opus IV, VI, & VII • Puredistance M, Black • Tauer L'Air & Carillon pour un Ange • Knize Ten Golden • L'Artisan Al Oudh, Traversee du Bosphore, Dzing! • TF Noir de Noir • Xerjoff Homme, Richwood, Regio, 1861, 1888, Zafar • Serge Lutens MKK, Gris Clair, Fille en Aiguilles, La Myrre • H de Parfums 1740, Noir Patchouli, Tub3 Animale • Abdes Salaam Tabac, Sharif, Mecca Balsam • MDCI Invasion Barbare, Chypre Palatin • Nicoläi NY, Vie de Chateau Intense, L'Eau Mixte • Dior Leather Oud & Patchouli Imperial • Chanel Sycomore • Guerlain Derby, Songe d'un Bois d'Ete • MFK Oud Cashmere Mood • Ormonde Jayne Man

  19. #139
    Dependent Shiny Beast's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    2,972
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man: Initial Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by FumeHood View Post
    Memoir Man never ceases to impress.
    I agree, it just might be my favorite from Amouage.

  20. #140
    Duke Hunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Chocolate Factory
    Posts
    2,788
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man: Initial Impressions

    Just got back from the Amouage store, I ended up getting Memoir over Epic. I didn't even bother sampling anything else again, I didn't want any doubt!

  21. #141
    Dependent Shiny Beast's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    2,972
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man: Initial Impressions

    I was gonna say perhaps consider holding off for a few days as Interlude is being released real soon, but I don't think you'll regret adding Memoir to your arsenal.

  22. #142
    Duke Hunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Chocolate Factory
    Posts
    2,788
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man: Initial Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    I was gonna say perhaps consider holding off for a few days as Interlude is being released real soon, but I don't think you'll regret adding Memoir to your arsenal.
    I've got a sample of it on now, will report back later!

  23. #143

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man: Initial Impressions

    If you enjoy Memoir I'd get it, as I don't think Interlude is a replacement as such. Well, they do have a few commonalities, but overall I'd say Interlude is simpler and definitely less introspective and 'brooding' as Memoir can sometimes be. Interlude is probably even more versatile than Memoir though - or at least I think most would feel that way.
    ***For sale:

    Iris Pallida 50ml

    Ungaro I 75ml

    and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

  24. #144
    Super Member farang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    European in Bangkok
    Posts
    261
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man: Initial Impressions

    Just tried the MM. I was thinking perhaps similarities with Guerlain's Sous Le Vent. Anyone?
    * Current Favourites *
    Amouage: Lyric Man & Essenza di Colonia Acqua di Parma
    Serge Lutens: Fille en Aiguilles & Gris Clair & Fleurs d'Oranger & Tubereuse Criminelle & Sarrasins & Fumerie Turque & A la Nuit

Similar Threads

  1. New Fragrances: Amouage Memoir Man and Memoir Woman
    By petruccijc in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 146
    Last Post: 10th February 2012, 05:01 AM
  2. Amouage Opus III: Initial Impressions
    By SculptureOfSoul in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 17th February 2011, 08:09 PM
  3. Amouage Opus II: Initial Impressions
    By SculptureOfSoul in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 16th November 2010, 04:36 PM
  4. Deseo for Men: Initial Impressions
    By SculptureOfSoul in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 8th July 2009, 08:53 AM
  5. Initial impressions
    By ifconfig in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 20th November 2006, 11:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •