Code of Conduct

Default Most Diverse Fragrance House?

Some houses you can just tell when a fragrance is theres, without even looking at the label; such as Theirry Mugler with their heavy patchouli bases, Creed with their very natural smells, Hermes with Jean Claude Ellena's handprint in everything, and Lacoste with their synthetic and even playful stuff targeted toward the younger crowd.

So which house would you say is the most diverse? Stuff that smells nothing like each other, no common bases, no copied top notes, just pre-planned well and originality through and through.

Kind of a spur of the moment thread that I wanted to get going, so I haven't thought much on the answer, but the first thing that comes to mind is....... YSL.

What do you guys think?

Default Re: Most Diverse Fragrance House?

Diversity I would say Frederic Malle Editions and Parfumerie Generale , both houses would appear to have something for everyone

I agree about Malle and Parfumerie Generale. I'll add the line-up of the Serge Lutens Exclusives from their beginnings until today.

In Niche, sure, Malle, but it was designed that way from the beginning. Ie it would have been strange if they all had a similarity because the whole point was to give as much free reign to the nose as possible.

Within mass market, I'll say YSL. SO many diverse frags, and a number of big mass market hits for relatively unsafe frags. Compared to Guerlain, Chanel, etc which all have a sort of house style that's consistent.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

YSL is a choice I fully second, this house provides the fragrance aficionado with "all kinds of everything", suited for such a variety of tastes and preferences

Blog Entries

For the Niche market I would say Malle and Lutens. For the mass market I prefer Guerlain. You likely thought I would mention Mitsouko, so there you have it.

I'll fourth YSL as a house that takes chances and has constructed a variety of high-quality men's fragrances of every stripe.

Regards,
    T

My Wardrobe:
    Yves St. Laurent Live Jazz
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

I have to agree with YSL for the mass market.....L'Artisan is also one to consider for the Niche Market.....I also feel that The Armani Prive Collection is very diverse.....Gary

YSL no doubt. So many great scents for men and women, so many differnt styles. My nose cannot detect a "typical YSL" accord, assuming one even existed.

ysl and creed

Creed

I find almost all the classic French designer houses, pre-1990s line-ups, to be delightfully incongruous. Unfortunately, this is no longer the case as every successful fragrance has a half dozen or more, accounting department designed, flankers.
    I don't agree with Creed being all that diverse. Their heavy, synthetic ambergris base is in so many of their offerings.
    Also, how many more times is Mr. Ellena going to rehash Declaration? Basta!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 26th September 2010 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    I don't agree with Creed being all that diverse. Their heavy, synthetic ambergris base is in so many of their offerings.
    Also, how many more times is Mr. Ellena going to rehash Declaration? Basta!
    Agreed on both counts. Many of the recent Millesimes are so similar after drying down as to be indistinct.

However, some of those Declaration rehashes are better than the original - notably TdH. Still, I'm about done with variations on that theme.

Regards,
    T

My Wardrobe:
    Yves St. Laurent Live Jazz
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

Ya, I also disagree with Creed, they all seem to reflect one another in some way.