Code of Conduct

Default I am accumulating so many fragrance that I can't wear all of them

There is only 365 days in a year and some of the fragrance that I own are only seasonal... so I don't have time to wear all of them... Some of my bottles does not even have a dint in the juice... Are you experiencing the same problem? I'm thinking about selling most of my designer fragrance and just keeping the classic legendary fragrance and niche stuff that I wear more often..
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Default Re: I am accumulating so many fragrance that I can't wear all of them

It is the curse of every basenoter that the more you have the less you can practically wear.

Blog Entries

**************just for the record, hit the Refresh button twice, and the grey field disappears***********

Now, for some comments. Have I not heard this before, right on this happy discussion group called Basenoters ? A while back, one member actually measured by spritzes and how much was left in those bottles, how long, how many years it would take to use up all those wonderful scents in the collection.

Comparisons like this are more apt to be applied to - how long will my portfolio assets lasts, how much can I withdraw per year, to preserve the principal to make such and such assets last a lifetime. Then, one should figure, apply those figures well.

As for scents - they are for enjoyment. Ha ha ... some are good, some are used as room spray. To stop spending - because this very website is an enabler - I made Spring cleaning yesterday, and weeded out. Don't like the scent ? OUT !!

From what remained, I took 75% of those bottles and stored them away into a trunk, cool and dark. Which left an assortment of current scents to be used. And when the time comes - and it will - that I get lonely for a certain scent that is stored away, of course I can dig it out.

But just not to have the collection in full view, has shifted the attention to other things, than scents, scents and to be pre-occupied with them.

Just saying ...
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

I always have to chuckle when I read something like, "I bought Unforgivable to wear on lazy days to save from using my $$$ costly MI!" It's especially odd when the person has tons of bottles listed in their 'drobe.

I've only got around 50 bottles, and even so this supply should easily last me the rest of my life. I would never ever wear one fragrance in my 'drobe over another because of cost considerations. I'm just not worried about running out of, well, basically anything I own. It'll be another 10 years or so before I finish a bottle, and by then if I'm not sick of it, I'm sure I'll have found something new to replace it if it isn't available.

Looks like it's time for someone to start a massive sales thread

Don't worry you will be one of the few people who have the perfect fragrance when you are invited by the hells angels to a renaissance vampire bbq at an orange grove.

Some of my bottles does not even have a dint in the juice.
    Which is a good thing! Imagine being on your last few drops of a fragrance that has been discontinued or reformulated...

welcome to the club!

that´s why we are in basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    It is the curse of every basenoter that the more you have the less you can practically wear.
    This.

As the old saying goes

You've made your 'drobe
    Now go sprayin' it.

Time for some mind boggling excercise then...

I'm against "seasonal scents". Try something different and wear what you call a winter scent during the summer. Try! It might turn out beautiful.
    "- Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

Yes, I have actually never finished a bottle and this wardrobe will last longer than I will. I do buy the smallest sizes I can find and now that I am up in the more extensive niche categories, I space purchases more widely and make them only after testing, etc. But I am very happy with my collection. There is nothing I regret buying and nothing I really want to get rid of. It's great having so many choices.

Yeah, i have about 30 fragrances that i never worn it yet.

Dependent

I only have about 15 over fragrances as of now and I am already having this problem. Gosh
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

I think at some point you need to decide whether you're a collector or solely a user. If the former, all elements of practicality go out the window and there really becomes no limit to how many bottles you can rack up for yourself.

For me, there's a sense of enjoyment that I get from owning a full bottle of a fragrance I like and even if I only have the opportunity to wear some on rare occasion, I enjoy owning it. The only thing better than finding a scent you really enjoy at a store or through a sample, is wearing something you haven't worn in awhile and having all that enthusiasm you had for the fragrance that caused you to buy it come rushing back to you

I recently had this experience with Tommy which I hadn't worn in a number of months and say what you will about it, it's a fantastic fragrance and I'm happy I still own it rather than having traded/sold it because it's not something I wear with any sense of regularity

Blog Entries

Sometimes I'll make myself a small decant of a fragrance I rarely wear, and sell the bottle.

I have not regretted the loss of any of the bottles I've sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
    Don't worry you will be one of the few people who have the perfect fragrance when you are invited by the hells angels to a renaissance vampire bbq at an orange grove.
    Yes!
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I was updating my wardrobe and I realized that I have over a 100 bottles and not counting the decants (some of them are 50ml or 60ml) and I was planning on going to ScentBars new location tomorrow and get something new, but now I am thinking about it...

MPG Secret Melange, of course!

I feel sorry for you.that is really a big issue

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by b3t0_1972 View Post
    I was updating my wardrobe and I realized that I have over a 100 bottles and not counting the decants (some of them are 50ml or 60ml) and I was planning on going to ScentBars new location tomorrow and get something new, but now I am thinking about it...
    what what what?? Scent Bar moved??? INFO PLEASE
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I always have to chuckle when I read something like, "I bought Unforgivable to wear on lazy days to save from using my $$$ costly MI!" It's especially odd when the person has tons of bottles listed in their 'drobe.

I've only got around 50 bottles, and even so this supply should easily last me the rest of my life. I would never ever wear one fragrance in my 'drobe over another because of cost considerations. I'm just not worried about running out of, well, basically anything I own. It'll be another 10 years or so before I finish a bottle, and by then if I'm not sick of it, I'm sure I'll have found something new to replace it if it isn't available.
    Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Sometimes I'll make myself a small decant of a fragrance I rarely wear, and sell the bottle.

I have not regretted the loss of any of the bottles I've sold.
    Sage advice is included in these ^^^^^

Either establishing a "heavy rotation" of frequently worn scents or layering

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    what what what?? Scent Bar moved??? INFO PLEASE
    Yeah they moved like a mile away from the previous location, the new address is:

7405 Beverly Blvd
    Los Angeles CA 90048

Last edited by heperd; 5th May 2012 at 11:32 PM.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

I use the wardrobe feature here to keep track of my wearing habits. If I find that I'm just not wearing one, I'll consider selling it. It also helps me spread them out a little, and work in frags that I haven't worn is a while.

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    I'm thinking about selling most of my designer fragrance and just keeping the classic legendary fragrance and niche stuff that I wear more often..
    Two problems that I see,
    a..........wear niche and the compliments and positive comments are greatly reduced - you really are wearing them for yourself, as most other people aren't much taken with them, and
    b..........among those designer scents you want to sell will be future classics, which you'll want to buy back again later. Why not be avant-garde now?
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 6th May 2012 at 05:31 AM.

Welcome to the club.
    I have only been wearing scents for ten months and I probably now have enough to last me for twenty years.
    I keep meaning to sell some bottles on or swap as would be happy to decant and keep about 20 mls of most of them .
    I am glad I bought most of them used on ebay, don't want to think what the retail price would have been...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by b3t0_1972 View Post
    Yeah they moved like a mile away from the previous location, the new address is:

7405 Beverly Blvd
    Los Angeles CA 90048
    Thank you very much!
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

This is part of being a fragrance junkie for sure.....Gary

LOL, I know how you feel, you can't wear them all at once (or maybe you can?!) after all. This reminds me of a story we were told at school of the man in hell who has a thirst that cannot be quenched. He can see the water before him, but alas, cannot drink any of it!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    There is only 365 days in a year and some of the fragrance that I own are only seasonal... so I don't have time to wear all of them... Some of my bottles does not even have a dint in the juice... Are you experiencing the same problem? I'm thinking about selling most of my designer fragrance and just keeping the classic legendary fragrance and niche stuff that I wear more often..
    This is a problem? Naaaah!

Remember - the less of your fragrances you are wearing, the fuller the bottles will be when you sell them off as vintage!

Problem solved!

Welcome to my world ; ) It does become a problem after you've acquired so many..

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    This is a problem? Naaaah!

Remember - the less of your fragrances you are wearing, the fuller the bottles will be when you sell them off as vintage!

Problem solved!
    Unlikely, only a KrEEd_FaNBoy would buy a vintage bottle

This is my problem too. The worst thing is that I can't stop buying. What I do is to multiply and to rotate my fragrance wearing per day: scent of the morning, scent of the day, scent of the afternoon(if possible), scent of the evening and scent of the bed time.

You're relatively young'ish. You have decades to finish off what you have.

for swap/sale:

I know exactly what you mean! However, think of it like this: It's like insurance. You rarely need it, but it is OH SO NICE knowing that it's there! Meaning that, I might neglect my "L'ombre fauve" for months, and then, one Autumn day, I think, "Oh My God! This is the perfect day for 'L'Ombre Fauve'!" Then I ignore it for another 10 months or so!
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

It's all good! If you can't use them all, take good care of these wonderful works of art in a bottle and when you die, your descendants will treasure them, use them, sell them, whatever! They are collectable treasures. Or you can give them to ME, haha!

Never been to one of those!
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Dior Homme Parfum
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Very true, but it also makes it challenging to see just where and when you can fit a new application for a fragrance. Do you experiment with layering, wear a different fragrance to bed as an opposite wrist sample, intentionally wear something early in the day just because it will disappear in time to wear another out to dinner without the intervening shower, maybe the one you choose to wear early is perfect for sliding under the top notes of something applied later in the day...etc. To me, more fragrance means I get to have more fun.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

start using 15-20 sprays at a time... that will finish those bottles faster

Meh, I don't see a problem, provided you're not forgoing your mortgage to get another MFK bottle. Each FB is an investment, and now gives you equity. You'll still have more than you'll probably ever need, but now you have tons of leverage to try even more via swaps, or trade a couple bottles that you don't use for something you will. I've convinced the SO that I'm building a collection now so that I don't ever have to spend money on fragrance ever again, but neither of us actually believes that. :P

Its starting to become a problem for me too, luckily many of my older fragrances are becoming empty since I've had them for awhile and arent large sizes, once I'm done with those I'm going to be getting only frags that I truly enjoy and will always be happy to get. Try wearing two different frags a day, one in the morning and another at night, you get to enjoy more and its nice to kinda change in a day your frag plus you use more.

Dependent

I think Turin is absolutely right in saying that fragrance is one of the most affordable hobbies. Just compare to wine or fine dining and you'll see what I mean. Yes, I've spent a large sum of cash over the last year to form my collection. But a) it brings me a LOT of enjoyment, literally raising my quality of life in a tangible way every single day, and b) I have invested in decades of product that will generally keep that long, and probably hold a good amount of its value.

Regarding fragrance as investment, I think the combination of discontinuations and top note degradation probably evens out, so that in general if I go broke at some point and begin selling off fragrance, I'll get approximately what I paid for the juice per ml back. Now that's a excellent investment.

I will just add something to think about:

http://www.nstperfume.com/2008/08/19...llection-last/

It was probably posted here already.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Quote Originally Posted by moore View Post
    No way he'll give you the bottles. I'm the first on the waiting list! But as you're one of my dearest friends we can share it!
    LOL! It's a deal,sweetie! We should be so lucky, really...

A common "curse" or a "problem", nothing to worry about

Quality over quantity.

I started out buying more than what I need, now my focus is on buying perfumes that i feel are unique. Still end up with same problem though

Basenotes Junkie

I guess some of us end up with that "problem". I haven't really purchased that many fragrances after I started getting interested. Well ... I guess I have, but I'm still "only" at 25'ish, and four or five of those will not be replenished after they're empty. I sort of have made a promise to myself not go over ... say 40, but ... heh ... don't know if that'll be something I'll be able to keep. Fortunately, I'm mostly into niche, and being a student, that's just too expensive, so my buying-power is severely limited - which is good

Bottom line - just ship your overstock to me, I'll pay shipping and we can all be happy. Yey!

Welcome to the club!