Code of Conduct

Lightbulb How to make top notes last longer?

The other day I bought Versace pour homme. I love the top notes in this fragrance, but then after 30 minutes, change to the middle notes, which I like but not love. It's a shame that those top notes do not last longer. Overall a great summer scent. There are more VPH lovers here in basenotes?

The question is: is there anyway to make the top notes last longer on the skin? (Without reapplication, of course)

On a side note: I tried Chanel Pour Monsieur and find it very similar to Kouros in the top notes, for some reason (someone thinks the same or am I crazy?)

Default Re: How to make top notes last longer?

The more oily the skin, the more likely the top notes will last longer. There are all kinds of lotions and oils that are made for dry skin that can be used. Another choice is to look for fragrances with ambergris in their base. Regardless to the actual smell of ambergris, the original purpose of it is to slow down top, middle and base note absorption without altering the smell of the fragrance.

Spraying it on clothes will make the top notes last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY View Post
    What he said.

I'm not a chemist level analyst, but I believe there are limits to how much you can extend the top notes. Part of the reason they are top notes is because they are fleeting.

The topnotes of pour homme are all citrus- very fleeting scents. Neroli, bergamot and petit grain.

Keep an atomizer handy and spray again?
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Quote Originally Posted by Sebadov View Post

The question is: is there anyway to make the top notes last longer on the skin? (Without reapplication, of course)
    No, you cannot alter the natural progression of a scent.
    You need to find a scent that has the same or similar base notes to the top notes in a scent you love.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    You need to find a scent that has the same or similar base notes to the top notes in a scent you love.
    Indeed gupts, but isn't the big complaint about most citrus based scents that they are short lived.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Indeed gupts, but isn't the big complaint about most citrus based scents that they are short lived.
    Sorry StylinLA, I am perhaps missing your point here mate.

I do agree that a lot of citrus based scents are short lived and that is due to the inherent nature of the 'citrus note'.

Generally speaking top notes in all fragrances are temporary notes that have to make way to the middle and the base notes. The transition is obviously not smooth and there is a lot of intermingling of the 3 tiers. Having said that it's usually the basenotes that hang around the longest and therefore due to the extended exposure the decision to generally like or dislike a fragrance, lies in the basenotes.

maybe you need to buy cologne oils they lasts longer,exemple I have YSL Kouros cologne oil,and it is lasts on my skin 12 hours,on clothes it is lasts 4 days,but Top notes on skin lasts 1hour

Thanks to all for the responses, I will try spraying VPH on my clothes.

So, taking a bath or putting oil on my skin before I spray my SOTD does not make any difference? That's a shame because I would really like those Versace Pour Homme top notes last more than 30 minutes on the skin!

Thanks to all for the responses, I will try spraying VPH on my clothes.

So, taking a bath or putting oil on my skin before I spray my SOTD does not make any difference? That's a shame because I would really like those Versace Pour Homme top notes last more than 30 minutes on the skin!
    Actually, MikeNY is correct. Spraying on fabric rather than skin will slow down the progression somewhat. Heat (as on the skin) does tend to make the fragrance "progress" a bit faster.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    Actually, MikeNY is correct. Spraying on fabric rather than skin will slow down the progression somewhat. Heat (as on the skin) does tend to make the fragrance "progress" a bit faster.
    Thanks mrclmind, by the way: When we will see more of those fantastic SOTD youtube videos again?

spray on an ice cube.

i just thought, maybe spraying on damp/wet skin might slow down evaporation. water acts as a fixative in perfume. not sure if this works, but if you insist spraying on skin, you could give it a try. let us know if this helps, if you do.
    otherwise, do as mikeny suggested: applicate the perfume on you clothes. after a while, the topnotes will project less but still be there for an extended period. like mrclmind says, they will evaporate at a slower rate. (unless you are in a tropical, or otherwise hot, environment.)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY View Post
    + 3 on tht and yeh....you are crazy

Thanks mrclmind, by the way: When we will see more of those fantastic SOTD youtube videos again?
    I might do them again. I'm not a real "public" person, and frankly don't have thick enough skin to deal with the negative reviews.... LOL

I dab on my shirt around button #3 from the top.

i prefer the end of my sleeves. instead of a continuous stream, which induces fatigue, you get more wafts. the lower chest area is a bit too close to the nose for me, especially with perfumery ingredients that my nose adapts to all too quickly (ionones for example).

btw. be aware that some perfumes stain. be careful if the juice has an intense or dark color, especially on light fabric. most of the time this is not a problem, though.

edit: adaption takes place mostly over a certain amount of time. if you put the perfume on you wrists, drinking or other activities that put the wrist close to the nose, only for a moment, will generally speaking not induce fatigue.
    Last edited by gido; 26th September 2010 at 05:19 PM.

Sorry StylinLA, I am perhaps missing your point here mate.

I do agree that a lot of citrus based scents are short lived and that is due to the inherent nature of the 'citrus note'.

Generally speaking top notes in all fragrances are temporary notes that have to make way to the middle and the base notes. The transition is obviously not smooth and there is a lot of intermingling of the 3 tiers. Having said that it's usually the basenotes that hang around the longest and therefore due to the extended exposure the decision to generally like or dislike a fragrance, lies in the basenotes.
    gupts- I was referring to the fact that many of the scents that have citrus in the heart or base as opposed to the top are often noted as being short lived scents overall. Whether or not citrus is in the top or middle or base- they not too long lasting. Just the fact that in general, citrus is fairly fleeting.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    I might do them again. I'm not a real "public" person, and frankly don't have thick enough skin to deal with the negative reviews.... LOL
    Sorry to hear that. Those were great reviews and helped me find a couple of my current favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    gupts- I was referring to the fact that many of the scents that have citrus in the heart or base as opposed to the top are often noted as being short lived scents overall. Whether or not citrus is in the top or middle or base- they not too long lasting. Just the fact that in general, citrus is fairly fleeting.
    your view surprises me.

i would say, that these scents either don't have basenotes, or you just don't smell them for some reason or another (anosmia to certain musks, odorless fixatives, you name it, whatever)

to me, a citrus is per definition a topnote, with a very few exceptions of things that smell like citrus but aren't, and stay well deep into the heart.