Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The House of Villoresi

Greetings Friends

Is anyone familiar with the fragrances of Villoresi? I ordered some samples because I heard this House has some mature, old school fragrances like CREED.
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Default Re: The House of Villoresi

I love LV. Uomo, Piper Nigrum, Vetiver, Spezie..mmm I just wish I could afford to buy a bottle every month.

AromiErotici

I haven't tried a slew of Villoresi releases, but was impressed with the "in your face" style of his compositions. Uomo is excellent. The rendition of Sandalo is too raw for me, but others like it.

He truly reminds me of the Frank Zappa of parfumeurs.

Post Thanks / Like

Along with MPG and Guerlain, Lorenzo Villoresi is my favourite house. Uomo is one of the greatest all-around scents I've ever encountered. Piper Nigrum, then again, is one of the most impressive and imaginative compositions I've ever had a pleasure of trying; not that I'd actually ever wear it. Yerbamate is an ethereal scent that totally alters my mood. AromiErotici is right about Sandalo, it's super raw. I love it, though.

I could sing praises of every LV scent, but am currently too drunk and tired for that. Bottom line is, that you really should sample every one of them - it's head and shoulders above most niche houses around.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

I really like Piper Nigrum.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Villoresi is a nice house indeed offering quite a range of scents of various types all sharing a common relaxed elegant style with a good balance between strength and genteness.
    I suggest you to try sandalo(woody), yerbamate(green), teint de neige (powdery), piper nigrum (spiced) and alamut(oriental) to have an idea of his works.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of your comments. Are others familiar with the House of Villoresi?
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite Villoresi scents are:

(1) Uomo
    (2) Vetiver
    (3) Piper Nigrum
    (4) Yerbamate

All Villoresi fragrance should be tested before buying. I don't really think any are blind-buy safe, with the possible exception of Uomo. They are just too intense and individual. Vetiver for instance is a very intense and severely earthy concoction - I love it but many will not appreciate its raw brusk quality. Yerbamate is a very pleasant green herbal scent, but it is very powdery - wonderful if you can abide with the powder. Patchouli is extremely cold and raw, sort of harsh actually - but if you can handle that kind of hardness in a fragrance it is totally unique among patch fragrances.

Post Thanks / Like

I locked in on Uomo quite early on and it is probably a 'top ten' item for me. There is also an Uomo Profumo which comes in 30ml and if you are a fan of the EDT I think it's a worthwhile addition - it offers a deeper, smoother ride, nice for evenings etc. I see vetiver mentioned in some reviews of Uomo and while I don't doubt vetiver is a component I would never describe Uomo as a vetiver scent . . .

The Aqua di Colonia is a superb Eau de Cologne IMO and has a hint of the Uomo DNA. Basically these three represent a pretty solid set. As far as I know The Perfume Shoppe in Vancouver still carries the whole line including soaps etc - there is a NY based outfit (is it Lafco or Raffy - there's an 'af' involved?) which carries LV but they are only any good for shipping inside North America.

My other favourite is Yerbamate, which is a weird one. I call it psychedelic green because it evokes a time and place for me (a scent memory thing I can't pin down) but also because it just doesn't conform to any specific 'green-ness' I can cite. Probably not for everyone but I love it and the soap is great too. Check the BN reviews - you'll get the idea.

The Sandalo is an okay sandalwood IMO - not great but not bad either, which is about all you can expect with sandalwood titled scents these days I think.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a great perfume house that doesn't get the love it deserves (do Luca Turin's nasty reviews turn perfumistas off?). Uomo, Spezie and Piper Nigrum are definitely masterpieces, and I quite like the carnation-infused Musk and the quirky Yerbamate as well. In general: great quality, rich scents with body, monster sillage and excellent lasting power. The only exception from the latter is Wild Lavender, which opens as the best lavender I have ever smelled, but fades into a generic musk within 10 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

Uomo was the first niche fragrance i bought and would definately recommend it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    I haven't tried a slew of Villoresi releases, but was impressed with the "in your face" style of his compositions. Uomo is excellent. The rendition of Sandalo is too raw for me, but others like it.
    I agree. Uomo is excellent. Sandalo is pretty raw. Spezie, Yerbamate, Piper Nigrum aren't my style. Those are all the Villoresi I have tried.

Post Thanks / Like

This was my first favorite house and I think most of his fragrances are FBW for me. In fact, I have FBs of most of them! I agree with others that his stuff is a bit too unusual for a blind buy, though. My favorites:

Vetiver - Earthy and strong. A friend of mine who is very anti-cologne told me he would wear this. It doesn't smell like a conventional fragrance. It's not trying to be pretty, that's for sure.

Piper Nigrum - I love all of the many transitions this makes from the peppermint and fennel top notes down to its powdery amber drydown. It's one of my partner's least favorite fragrances, however.

Yerbamate - Powder, fragrant weeds, and a few wildflowers, with a burning fire somewhere in the distance.

Spezie - Dry Italian spices with some incensey muskiness in the drydown.

I would recommend sampling everything he has done, but these are my current top four. He supposedly has two new ones coming out within the next several months, but he keeps postponing them, so who knows.

One final thought: One thing I respect about both this house and Parfums d'Empire is that they don't feel like they have to be the most expensive perfumes in the world to be taken seriously. There's so much elevation of prices for snobby positioning in this industry, it's nice to see some extremely fine houses not buy into that way of thinking.

Post Thanks / Like

Uomo and Aqua di Colonia are my favourite two, but the entire range is certainly worth sampling.

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am fond of Acqua di Colonia and Uomo. I own the former.

I didn't like the LV Lavender.

But try the whole range!

Great house with a decidedly Italian character--but not very active nowadays. I tested numerous titles and decided to purchase Vetiver, Piper Nigrum and Sandalo.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all of you who responded to this thread! My 2 favorites from this House are Yerbamate and Spezie, but I am still sampling LV. I enjoy his fragrances.