Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default SF Meet-Up Report!

Hi all,

So, I just got home from another fantastic Basenotes Meet-Up around the wonderful stores of San Francisco. We're all over-sniffed, with tired feet and aching noses, but with new treasures to show for it!

We met at the Diptyque boutique, where we all got to know each other over over sniffs of their best loved favorites. In addition to the expected BNers, we were also joined by sans_serif_sf, who's a lurker here but quite the collector, and his cute little dog Gizmo. Diptyque put out samples of the ingredients they use in some of their scents, so we had fun sniffing some rather unusual essences in addition to the ever-popular Tam Dao et al. In Diptyque news, they've just released extrait versions of Philosykos and L'Ombre dans L'Eau in a striking crystal art bottle.

Here's BayKAT and 959Lover sniffing at the perfume table:

And most of the crew outside:

Not a great picture, but that's C Rose's back blocking new BNer Opiate, then NYCBoy and BayKAT on the left. The group on the right is PaulSC, BN newbie Kalynne, 959lover's back, JaimeB (blocked by 959's hand), and knit_at_night behind ROtto.

They gave us some nice gift bags with full size soaps and solid perfumes - Thanks!

Then, we were off to Hermès, where we sniffed the exclusives and the new Eau Claire des Merveilles. Then, they opened up the hidden cabinets with all their hard-to-find classics and everyone went a bit nuts. Knit_at_night enjoyed the original Eau d'Hermès, which personally reminded me of VC&A First, while JaimeB was intrigued by Amazone, at least on paper.

Harputs was a bit of a bust, as they were already busy and the manager wasn't able to help us, so we took advantage of the opportunity to make a quick exit to Jacqueline Perfumerie.

C Rose, knit_at_night, NYCBoy, JaimeB, PaulSC, ROtto, sans_serif_sf with Gizmo, and Opiate, while others were still inside making purchases.

In terms of purchases, this was probably the most popular stop on the trip. BayKAT unearthed a discontinued vintage Caron extrait, while new BNer Opiate picked up some old-formulation M7 and a bottle of Kolnisch Junchten. Oh yeah - it was THE LAST bottle of Kolnisch Junchten. It's quite possible that I mean that literally...

More items were purchased (sorry - I lost track), and we headed for Neiman Marcus. We sniffed the Jo Malones and then headed to the Guerlains. They had hidden testers of the new Arsène Lupin duo. Voyou was kind of sharp and had that "woody amber" note I don't like, which gave it a bit of a designer feel, but Dandy was a very traditional Guerlainade oriental which I'm sure will garner some buzz as samples become available.

The ladies kept sniffing the Guerlains while the men headed for the men's department. Fougere Royale wasn't in yet, but we had fun sniffing everything from the new Van Cleef & Arpels Midnight In Paris to the new Halston Man Amber, which had an intriguing amber/oud character.

After a quick snack, we ventured off to Saks Fifth Avenue. We all split up, some of us checking out the Cartier Les Heures de Parfum, while others sniffed their way through the Kilians and the Bond No 9's. Upon learning that knit_at_night enjoyed luxurious classics, I forced her to try Clive Christian No. 1 for Women, which, much to her chagrin, she loved.

The, it was off to Barneys, where everyone seemed to have a planned purchase. NYCBoy wanted to smell the Delraes, while ROtto and Kalynne purchased some Lutens and a Heeley. NYCBoy ended up trying on Malle's Le Parfum De Therese while Opiate made his way through the L'Artisans.

Perfumer Yosh Han was doing an in-store event, and she met with us to go through her new EDPs. I personally really liked White Flowers 1.41, a big floral bouquet played against a green, woody background. When we told her we were a big group from Basenotes, she said to say hi to Grant! It's a small world...

Yosh's assistant blocking C Rose, ROtto, sans_serif_sf, Kalynne, 959lover, knit_at_night, PaulSC, NYCBoy, and Yosh Han.

We lost a few people due to prior engagements or sheer exhaustion, but a few of us made it out for dinner and drinks, where we compared purahces and traded samples of our newly-purchased bottles. A few of us had brought samples to give out, too. This also gave us a chance to simply get to know each other better. As a side note, knit_at_night brought some knitting to do!

And that's our story. We all managed to put together a pretty epic treasure trove of samples, and I certainly hope everyone enjoyed themselves. It was a nice mix of new faces and old friends, and, as usual, we all forgot to take pictures... Anyway, here's to many more meet-ups!
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Default Re: SF Meet-Up Report!

Looks like it was great fun! Neat to see you all, and to put some faces to some names.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Just an added note: At Saks, I picked up a bottle of Les Heures de Cartier XII L'Heure Mystérieuse. I later went back to the Hermès boutique and bought not Amazone, but Eau Claire des Merveilles in the 50 ml. size.

It was a bang-up day, with lots of fun and getting to know some Basenoters who hadn't joined us last time. We also missed the ones who had been along in 2009 but couldn't make it this time.

If you've never done one of these in your area, or never been on one, I highly recommend the experience. It's a great chance to sniff and critique things where there's an instant response and interchange of ideas, and also a great chance to learn from each other, not only about fragrance, but about shopping tips, too! Relaxing over dinner and drinks and just getting to know each other and swap decants was mondo cool...
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Wow! Looks like you guys had a rockin' good time sniffing about town...! Wish I was there..!
    Btw did anyone tried the extrait version of Diptique's L'Ombre dans L'eau? I'm curious...

Great report and pics too , sounds like everyone had a fun day . Quite a scoop on the Diptyque extraits too ......

Sur la Plage

Sounds like a great time. Sorry I wasn't able to join you this time around, but maybe again another time.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

This is a great read. Someday hopefully I can do something like this!

Thanks for the great writeup and pics Rogalal! Sounds like everyone had a wonderful time, at the expense of their wallets, but well worth it I'm sure.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Thanks for the write-up rogalal. Seemed like a smashing success!
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Blog Entries

Great pictures and travel log. Wish I could have been there. Next year I will be there if humanly possible.

Basenotes Institution

Lovely pictures- great to see you all ! Thanks Rogalal ! I wish I could have been there too !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

wheres Rogalal?

Basenotes Plus

Brought back some great memories of visits of SF. Thanks for the write up!
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Wow! Looks like you guys had a rockin' good time sniffing about town...! Wish I was there..!
    Btw did anyone tried the extrait version of Diptique's L'Ombre dans L'eau? I'm curious...
    At least on paper, the cassis note came out more strongly, including its sweaty undertones, which was a bit shocking on first sniff. But I don't think anyone actually tried it on, so take that with a grain of salt...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    wheres Rogalal?
    Behind the camera, avoiding being photographed...

Just chiming in with a few thoughts after the Big Day. First and foremost, a huge thank you to Rogalal for organizing the whole affair -- every place we stopped was expecting us, and several had generous goody bags at the ready.

It was great to see some familiar faces again (after last year's gathering), to match some new faces to familiar screen names, and to meet some BN newcomers. In particular I would like to draw sans_serif_sf's attention to the existence of a BN thread for pet photos.

A classic BN moment: outside of Jacqueline Perfumerie, BayKAT's unboxing of her newly purchased Caron extrait -- a rare one whose name escapes me -- was met with gasps of approval from the rest of us. Several passersby peered into the center of our group in order to see what all the fuss was about, and the looks on their faces, as they realized we were swooning over a tiny bottle of perfume, were priceless. They just didn't understand!

Second favorite moment, at Barneys towards the end of the day, this exchange between perfumer Yosh Han and a BNer who shall remain unnamed:
    -- I like this one, what's it called?
    -- White flowers.
    -- Yes, I can smell them, but what's it called?
    -- White flowers.
    -- Sorry, I mean what is the name of the perfume?
    -- The name is Whiteflowers.
    -- Oh, right, I guess our brains are all fried after a long day of perfume sniffing!

I'm sure everyone in our group noticed I have a few issues with motor function and mobility these days. I have a slow-progressing form of ALS, so I hobble a bit as I walk and my upper extremities are significantly weakened. So a quick extra thank you to everyone who helped me with doors and bags and (most of all) spraying tester bottles. Ultimately I cut my day a bit shorter due to exhaustion; I wish I could have tagged along to dinner.

Surveying my loot from the day: I purchased Ninfeo Mio (Annick Goutal) at Neiman Marcus, and at Barneys I picked up Gris Clair (Serge Lutens) for myself and Costume National Homme for my partner. On top of that, the volume of samples and handouts was almost overwhelming.

Other sniffing highlights for me included Rosine's Rose Praline (which has been out for a while I guess but was new at Barneys, and which smelled great on paper and even better on knit_at_night's skin -- so I heartily endorse her plan to track down and purchase a smaller bottle), Guerlain's new Le Dandy, and the new EDP formulations in the YOSH line (I was especially impressed with U4EAHH! and Ginger Ciao, although I had run out of unscented skin at this point in the day, so I'll have to go back for a more focused sniff in the future).
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    At least on paper, the cassis note came out more strongly, including its sweaty undertones, which was a bit shocking on first sniff. But I don't think anyone actually tried it on, so take that with a grain of salt...
    I think we were all a bit afraid to try it, because it's only available in the gorgeous-but-astronomically-priced limited edition crystal bottle!
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Smile Re: SF Meet-Up Report!

So I'm officially decloaking myself!

I like to say first how great of a day I had at this meet-up. I was nervous at first and I really appreciated how friendly and generous everyone was--with advice, opinions and info (and samples--thank you again ROtto for the Histoires de Parfums 1969).

and PaulSC for giving Gizmo a bit of your quiche, and the lovely chat over coffee. I do have that photo of BayKAT's excellent Caron purchase in its beautiful packaging

Now that I know where to get M7, I'll go back to try it on me and buy it.

Thank you Rogalal for organizing this and steering us all around and getting us those Bond's samples.

Gizmo had a great time too!

Blog Entries

Welcome sans_serif_sf!

He he - Gizmo is your avatar...

Seriously, it's mind-boggling how much attention Gizmo got everywhere we went. At one point, a pack of the models who wear the couture gowns around Neimans walked by and just about went into conniptions over him. All I could do was wonder why every straight man in the world doesn't carry around a tiny little dog in a satchel while he shops...

Basenotes Plus

My fragrant friends!
    I have just returned safely home to my "between SB and LA" abode a few minutes ago from the fabulous SF meetup and will devour every word of these reports in a few minutes. A HUGE thank you to Rogalal for organizing a monumental day of sniffing and companionship both from people, and the amazing little dog Gizmo, too.
    VIVA Basenotes!
    Last edited by knit at nite; 26th September 2010 at 09:33 PM. Reason: clarity
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

What a blast, I'm so glad I came down! To go perfume shopping with such great noses was an amazing experience, the expertise level in the group was humbling to say the least. I really enjoyed the diversity in tastes & personality too. It's funny how you think you have a 'set in your ways' ideal scent theme, and then someone with different tastes comes along and puts something under your nose that changes everything! Everyone was wonderful and as a group I think we had great chemistry, and I can't wait till the next meet up!
    Special thanks to Rogal for putting this all together and keeping us in line, you did a great job as group leader/ lion tamer, and also to all the SA who put up with our tomfoolery!

The SF Meetup was amazing! What a sweet gaggle of strangers! Thanks to Rogalal for putting it together. I'm from the area and most of the stores already knew me, but it was fun and unique shopping with a group. Others should do this as well! The outing was especially welcomed due to being sequestered with a virus for 7 days prior. So nice to be among humanity again!

Thank you to Rotto and Rogalal for the samples, I can't wait to sniff them on my skin. I'll wait for my nose to be back in full working order. Thanks to Knit-at-nite, I know what a sample kit should look like. I had no clue! Next time, I'll be better prep. JaimeB's Les Heures de Cartier, smelled amazing and if I didn't have so much to do today, I would have gone to Saks to take another sniff. I also want to try Yosh's White Flowers on my skin...loved the scent.

Everyone, was so nice. I was a bit surprised that the men out numbered the women! Such a variety of gentilemen. Cool!

Thanks to everyone for such a great Saturday!

@ Opiate among the people I know, I'm the perfume collector/expert. Nope, not in yesterdays group. Too bad, you could not stay until the end. The generous sharing was a learning experience. Dude, we need empty bottles, baggies, lables, and Sharpies.
    Last edited by Kalynne; 27th September 2010 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Reply to Opiate

Looks like so much fun! I'm glad everything went well.

So, when's the Kunkletown meet up? Does anyone know? I don't want to miss it this year.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I'll just add that to my nose the extrait version of L'Ombre dans l'Eau smelled much greener up top than the EdT.

Yes, the full freight, including the crystal flacon and the perfume and something else that you have to get (but I can't remember exactly what), comes to a total of $925 before tax. A bit steep even for a spending fool like me!
    Last edited by JaimeB; 27th September 2010 at 06:10 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

You guys are a hoot! Thanks for posting so vividly!

Basenotes Institution

Fun, fun, fun! You SF Basenoters rock!

Now all we need is a picture of the Master of Ceremonies himself, rogalal.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Fun, fun, fun! You SF Basenoters rock!

Now all we need is a picture of the Master of Ceremonies himself, rogalal.
    You're not missing much. I have some sort of camera-related schizophrenia that turns me into a complete fool when a camera is pointed at me, so pretty much every photo of me in existence catches me with some sort of ridiculous expression... There are actually some truly horrifying pictures of me in the threads about past write-ups, if you're in need of a laugh.

Great read, sounds like your organizational skills are very sharp, Rogalal!

Welcome sans_serif_sf!
    All I could do was wonder why every straight man in the world doesn't carry around a tiny little dog in a satchel while he shops...
    Hehehe. I can think of Mickey Rourke, for one
    Gizmo says thank you!

I wish I could give you a description of Rogalal, but he'd have to kill me! ;-)

Would be nice to meet a fellow basenoter someday!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Kalynne View Post
    I wish I could give you a description of Rogalal, but he'd have to kill me! ;-)
    (giggle)

HI, my lucky find was Pois de Senteur, a sweetpea fragrance that Daltroff tried to recreate with other white flowers. It's more of a collector's scent, certainly not mainstream, but my sample was almost up so I had to buy :-)

Thanks again everyone for a fun day!!
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    JA classic BN moment: outside of Jacqueline Perfumerie, BayKAT's unboxing of her newly purchased Caron extrait -- a rare one whose name escapes me -- was met with gasps of approval from the rest of us. Several passersby peered into the center of our group in order to see what all the fuss was about, and the looks on their faces, as they realized we were swooning over a tiny bottle of perfume, were priceless. They just didn't understand!
    I love this story! Thank you for portraying the scene, Paul.
    Bless your little cotton socks, Rogalal, for "happying" (that's right, I just invented a verb) so many people and taking photos.
    Welcome, sans serif sf. This old typographer appreciates your name.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Welcome, sans serif sf. This old typographer appreciates your name.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Quarry!
    BTW: I lived for several years in Milwaukee WI, when I was little :-)

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sans_serif_sf View Post
    Thank you, Quarry!
    BTW: I lived for several years in Milwaukee WI, when I was little :-)
    Milwaukee's really a pretty nifty place, but I'm sure you get by in San Francisco.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.