Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Sorry, but i just need to vent for a second...

Honestly I have to say I completely agree with OP on every point 100%.

quick question about the criticism that Bleu receives-

Is it bashed because it simply doesnt have anything more to offer then the allure/sport/blanche's? is is bashed because they are simply on there level, but no exceeding there level as much as peoples expectations thought it to be??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Freeze View Post
    Sometimes, the more strange a scent is, the more popular it becomes on BN. Often times, the more ordinary a scent is, the less popular it is on BN
    "Sometimes"?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    Ah, such is the wondrous diversity of Basenotes ;-)

Having bought Bleu, and just biding my time before I buy Bang, I'm happy to admit that I love both. They're both awesome in their own way.

I'll take the steak analogy further. Bleu is kind of like chicken nuggets prepared by a French chef using the same treatment he used wonderfully on pheasant. Once I get past the crunchy clichés - and my own reaction to it as cliché - I realize that Nuggets Bleu is actually more interesting to me than the pheasant was.

Bang is like an outrageous blackened pepper-steak in a mod downtown restaurant that has most folks high-tailing it back to the 'burbs. Admittedly, it's so "BN-approved non-cliché" that it's cliché, and it does mimic a bunch of BN faves mercilessly, but it does so VERY nicely.

BTW, the SA at Macy's today told me that Bang is doing VERY well. I'm really pleased to hear that, because it means that stronger and more BN-ish fragrances are potentially coming back into style.

this is why i am bitter with most designer companies the scents all smell the same, are too safe, not made with attention to detail and are not unique at all.

I don't understand all of the love for Bleu.....I don't understand the dis-like for Bang.....There are times that none of this makes any sense to me at all.....I go to the counter and spray the scent that I'm looking for at that time.....I make my own decision.....There is no review that can make me love or hate something that I've sampled myself.....I make the decision.....I make the purchase or I decide not to make the purchase.....Nothing will ever change that.....ever!!!
    Gary

^i dig that

Why did Chanel release Bleu at the beginning of the fall? It seemed to my nose that this is clearly a spring/summer scent. Why release a fresh aquatic-ish in the fall?

Quote Originally Posted by fitch256 View Post
    Why did Chanel release Bleu at the beginning of the fall? It seemed to my nose that this is clearly a spring/summer scent. Why release a fresh aquatic-ish in the fall?
    Easy - say it with me - CHRISTMASSSS

Blog Entries

^ LOL SO true. Plant it on the women's counter..... beat Acqua di Gio to the punch..... I think you have it pegged.

It seems like Armani is already fighting back. Guess what was on the MEN'S counter at Macy's today? ACQUA DI GIOIA - the new feminine. Two can play that game!

I love bleu de chanel. I bought a 3.4 ounce and its my signature scent for a while! I originally was going in to buy chanel allure sport but got bleu instead because its more pleasant to me

I think the majority of BN aren't into "weird" fragrances. We just don't like boring ones. Sure, a lot of the new fragrances being released aren't bad at all. They smell nice. Almost like pop music. The songs sound alright, but nothing out of the ordinary. It's all about fads. You can have your Buckcherry and your Hinder, I will stick to my Flica.

If you want to find something that will really resonate with you, you need to look. BN helps with that though and can help make the search considerably shorter. You need to sample, sample, sample and try everything you can. When it comes down to it we're here to discuss fragrances, not argue over them. We may disagree, but that's great! Taste is a beautiful thing! It's what reminds us that we're all completely different.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

No offense to anyone, but people are biased, we're all guilty of it. Yes Bleu gets criticized for being generic (and as much as I'm disappointed with it, I'd still rate it a neutral), while in this age, anything that is "different" or not safe/conventional gets a few extra points. I think people are mistaken something being different or unique from being actually excellent and creative, those words are not synonyms.

take Sécrétions Magnifiques for example, some people are giving it positive feedback just due to the fact it's different, risky, and straight up not appealing to the average nose. It's just a vile fragrance no matter how you put it, MKK is an example of something unsafe done very well. But oh well, people are going to be biased toward anything that says "non-conformist" and vise versa.

in my opinion, BANG isnt so "original" or "unique" either. i think Burberry's The Beat does pepper better then Bang, and Tommy Bahama for Men does it better too. When i smell Bang, i literally feel like im sticking my nose into a container of pure black pepper.

Well I own both Bleu and Bang, and I enjoy them both. Bang might be a little bit edgier of the two, but I think Bleu is the superior scent. Yes, originally I wrote Bleu off as too derivative and lackluster. But I've come around, I basically think of Bleu as the last word on designer aquatics now. I mean, it's the best designer aquatic I know of (and I don't know that I'd even consider it an entirely aquatic frag). It's just a versatile, quality, pleasant scent that might take a while to appreciate due to its understatement and its similarities with other, better known fragrances. I can understand why some wouldn't care for it, but I think it's gotten more of a drubbing here than it deserves. It's not a dazzling scent, in fact it tries to be just the opposite. Sometimes you just want to smell good without necessarily drawing attention to yourself. That's what Bleu is good at, and I think there is a place for this type of fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny19 View Post
    you see. this is also a concept im trying to grasp here on basenotes. the fact that one fragrance is better then another just because the other has too many similarities with other fragrances.
    I don't want to sound like an ass, but why is this such a difficult concept to grasp? If you saw a movie, would you want to go see the same movie again, just with a different name? Not to mention spend money on it? And, please, if you say yes, then I don't know what else to tell you. I, like many others, appreciate something that deviates from the center, from every other thing out there, something that pushes fragrance in an unexpected direction. That's not to say that attractiveness is thrown away, far from it, it must be attractive and well-made, but please, don't rehash what House ABC released last year, just because it was successful.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I don't want to sound like an ass, but why is this such a difficult concept to grasp? If you saw a movie, would you want to go see the same movie again, just with a different name? Not to mention spend money on it? And, please, if you say yes, then I don't know what else to tell you. I, like many others, appreciate something that deviates from the center, from every other thing out there, something that pushes fragrance in an unexpected direction. ...
    ...and they call me "Off-Scenter."

id rather see a re-make of a good movie then see a new terrible movie

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post

Bleu is kind of like chicken nuggets prepared by a French chef using the same treatment he used wonderfully on pheasant. Once I get past the crunchy clichés - and my own reaction to it as cliché - I realize that Nuggets Bleu is actually more interesting to me than the pheasant was.

Bang is like an outrageous blackened pepper-steak in a mod downtown restaurant that has most folks high-tailing it back to the 'burbs. Admittedly, it's so "BN-approved non-cliché" that it's cliché, and it does mimic a bunch of BN faves mercilessly, but it does so VERY nicely.
    I can't say Redneck Perfumisto took the words out of my mouth because I never would have thought of describing these two fragrances in such terms ... but this pretty much sums up my feelings exactly. (Aside from making me really, really hungry.)

As it happens, Bang was my SOTD today. Oddly, I like smelling like a steak, especially on a slightly hung over Monday morning at work.

I think these reactions from people are more about fulfilling expectations than how great the fragrances are.

People have high expectations of Chanel. We need our heroes and champions to look up to and Chanel almost always delivers. But this was a let down. Chanel has huge tradition of excellence innovation and style for fragrance as well as fashion. This is the house of Cuir de Russie, No. 5, Pour Monsieur, 28 La Pausa, Sycomore, No. 19 and No. 22 etc, etc. So people expected more from Chanel. Bleu is nice. But I have never gotten excited when putting it on. Bleu is not a creative scent - it is derivative of things that already exist - too many to mention.

Nobody expected much from Marc Jacobs - his last few scents were yawns. But then Bang - it is fresh and creatively different from most of what is out there. Bang may not be that great ten years from now, but it is certainly a new fresh wood scent idea and he deserves some credit for being creative. Bang out performed expectations and we are impressed!
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 28th September 2010 at 12:36 PM.

Another thing I sense from many of these responses is that Bleu was released at the wrong time in the cycle of what's being put out by other companies. The market is flooded with "fresh, sexy, and clean" scents, and companies are churning out fresh aquatic sporty flankers like crazy. Doesn't matter how well constructed Bleu may or may not be, it still falls into this genre that is wayyyyy overdone right now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fitch256 View Post
    The market is flooded with "fresh, sexy, and clean" scents, and companies are churning out fresh aquatic sporty flankers like crazy. Doesn't matter how well constructed Bleu may or may not be, it still falls into this genre that is wayyyyy overdone right now.
    That's so true.

I'm pretty much one of the snobby BNers who don't like scents like Bleu, and I'll admit it. It doesn't mean that I'm right and anyone else is wrong - we just have different tastes.

I think of it like movies. Every summer, there's a glut of big explosion movies. Excessive CGI, the bad dialogue, the one-dimensional characters, the tacked-on romantic sub-plot. We've seen a million of them. Sure, some are better than others, and every once in a while one comes along that's actually decent, but they're interchangeable and predictable and they're intended as mindless entertainment. And that's fine. And some people enjoy them on a deeper level, too, studying the effects and the direction and treat them as art, even though they're really more just commerce.

Then, there are the snooty art films. They're meant to be dissected and studied and picked apart. They have very limited appeal compared to the blockbuster explosion movies, but they're there to appeal to people who are into that sort of thing. If you love really getting deep into a movie and really giving it some real thought, there are movies that are meant for that, while explosion movies really aren't.

Basenotes, as opposed to other fragrance forums, tends to be the hangout of the art-house types, when it comes to scents. Many of the people here have smelled and know thousands of scents, have studied perfumery and raw materials, and have long since figured out that hundreds of them smell basically the same, and just don't get that excited when another woody amber/bergamot/calone scent comes out.

Again, no one is better. It's just a different way of looking at things, and yes, it means that sometimes some of us give high marks to something just for being different.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??
    Currently wearing: 28 La Pausa by Chanel

A significant portion of senior basenoters are not open minded enough to appreciate a mainstream release.

This lack of broad mindedness is disguised as "enhanced appreciation".
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

in my opinion, BANG isnt so "original" or "unique" either. i think Burberry's The Beat does pepper better then Bang, and Tommy Bahama for Men does it better too. When i smell Bang, i literally feel like im sticking my nose into a container of pure black pepper.
    Actually, Bang is more about the vetiver for me. I haven't found a vetiver I don't like, unless it's one of those vetiver fragrances for non-vetiver fans :P

This is a matter of taste, and I find it in bad taste to slag off other members values and opinions.

Blog Entries

Sure, my wardrobe isn't that hardcore or loaded, but I've been here for almost 3 years now (wow, that long since my 1st bottle, huh?). If I learned anything here, I learned to stick with what I feel fits how I dress, talk, walk, and present myself. I try not to overpay for particular types of compositions and I know what's worth the money. I've smelled a lot of things and I've got quite a bit on my plate to sample, but I've gotten lazy since my last expedition in the fragrance counter. I just read Basenotes to get a gist of what notes I'm looking for and various views on how a fragrance is interpreted. I stopped being do dependent on whether or not people liked something I'm looking into. I used to get a little discouraged when members would scoff at something I like, but that's their prerogative. At the end of the day, I'm spraying that stuff on myself.

As far as Bang and Bleu de Chanel. I briefly smelled both a couple weeks back. Bang isn't my style. It's great for an old school traditionalist who wants a tiny bit of flare, but wants to stay hip with the kids by saying he's rockin' Marc Jacobs. Bleu de Chanel just smells good. That's about it. Pinpointing the pluses and quality out of this one seems to require more wears to get past what you'd typically find at every common fragrance counter. Quite a lot of people don't have that kind of patience nor do they think it should be necessary to take that many wears to see it. I think both fragrances are classy in their own ways, but they both pull that off differently. I'll give Bang some credit for pulling off the black pepper vibe better than Burberry The Beat, but that's just me. As for Coty being behind Marc Jacob fragrances, I could care less who makes it as long as it's decent. I just think Chanel's Bleu de Chanel is Platinum Egoiste 2.0 to me (in terms of how it's marketed), if anything. Great for folks who liked the newer Chanel stuff and stuff like YSL L'Homme. It's great for gals looking to buy their significant other a bottle of something nice.

If you don't feel like seeing where some people are coming from when it comes to opinions, it's best to just ignore it then. Saves you a lot of grief, believe me. LOL
    Last edited by Hollandaze; 28th September 2010 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    That's so true.

I'm pretty much one of the snobby BNers who don't like scents like Bleu, and I'll admit it. It doesn't mean that I'm right and anyone else is wrong - we just have different tastes.

I think of it like movies. Every summer, there's a glut of big explosion movies. Excessive CGI, the bad dialogue, the one-dimensional characters, the tacked-on romantic sub-plot. We've seen a million of them. Sure, some are better than others, and every once in a while one comes along that's actually decent, but they're interchangeable and predictable and they're intended as mindless entertainment. And that's fine. And some people enjoy them on a deeper level, too, studying the effects and the direction and treat them as art, even though they're really more just commerce.

Then, there are the snooty art films. They're meant to be dissected and studied and picked apart. They have very limited appeal compared to the blockbuster explosion movies, but they're there to appeal to people who are into that sort of thing. If you love really getting deep into a movie and really giving it some real thought, there are movies that are meant for that, while explosion movies really aren't.

Basenotes, as opposed to other fragrance forums, tends to be the hangout of the art-house types, when it comes to scents. Many of the people here have smelled and know thousands of scents, have studied perfumery and raw materials, and have long since figured out that hundreds of them smell basically the same, and just don't get that excited when another woody amber/bergamot/calone scent comes out.

Again, no one is better. It's just a different way of looking at things, and yes, it means that sometimes some of us give high marks to something just for being different.
    I agree to a certain extent, but then again not completely. IMO, I wouldn't liken the Basenotes forum to art-house film. I think even that is a bit to deep into a niche that many Basenoters don't delve. If that was the case, you'd see the super-niche houses like Sonoma Scent Studios and any number of other micro-houses being talked about relentlessly, and that's just not the case. Maybe viewing us through the eyes of a mainstream consumer, would paint us in that light, but in all honesty, I think we are much more similar to a general movie forum. The mainstream consumer wouldn't likely seek out message boards to discuss movies, but there are those out there that seek a deeper appreciation of the art, be it mainstream or not. Personally, I fall into a category somewhere between those two extremes of the mindless popcorn flick and the film that makes all the festival rounds. I'm a bit of a simpleton, I enjoy being entertained, but I appreciate that it be done well. Thus, it leads me to Basenotes where I can seek out those that may have slipped through the cracks of the mainstream for whatever reason, and (though I may be off base with this), feel that many others on BN may have a similar view.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    Bleu de Chanel simply put, is mainstream mundane mediocrity.
    At this point in sales it will be the new age ADG very soon. SOOOOOOOO many people around here are wearing like its Issey Miyake. Its ordinary but nice but way too popular.
    My Youtube Review Channel: www.youtube.com/cutlasssupremesl

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    Bang is as of now, one of MJ's best offerings both in simplicity, longevity and truthfulness to a simple note: pepper.
    So, in short, it is a point up for the fragrance branch of the house.

That is not the case for Bleu de Chanel.
    Expectation, unoriginality and lack of guts have sinked Chanel's credibility among some fragrance lovers.
    And there it is!

It would be nice if we could judge scents in a vacuum, but the fact is, we do judge new releases on context and expectations.

Bleu did not meet many of our expectations of Chanel (mine included - plus I might be sensitive to some aromachemical in it), and was released in the context of impatience with me-too fresh scents. Bang beat our expectations and took advantage of the same context that has worked against Bleu, even though the scent may or may not be "objectively" (as if that's even possible) better.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

all i can say, is if u wear Bang, u must be a very very brave man.

lol your spot on i used to like spicy fragrances until i got le male and man now i just can`t stand spicy fragrances and marc jacobs bang is just spice through out all the notes nothing special

and yeah i would have to agree bleu de chanel is definitly underated it`s one of my most complimented fragrances right now