Code of Conduct

Default Random fragrance encounters

What are some stories you have of detecting an interesting waft of an interesting fragrance?

Walking down the street, in an elevator, at a restaurant, on a plane, checking out of a grocery store, working out at the gym - These are all common places to smell a well lknow or not so well known fragrance. Do you have any weirder places that the norm where you've noticed a particular perfume?

Or do you have a story of when you were in a mundane place but detected an unusual scent on someone? Something a little unexpected? Something potent? Something just plain wrong? Or something amazing but you couldn't pin the fragrance down and just had to ask?

Default Re: Random fragrance encounters

Catching a train last winter miles from home, someone rushed past me & on the cold air was a drift of the most lovely fragrance. It stopped me in my tracks & did a 180 degree turn in time to see the back of a man in a long raincoat.
    The scent was L'Air du Desert Marocain & I recognised it instantly (I'm trying to eke out my 3rd decant of this).
    I think it somehow smells even better on a man..

I ran into someone wearing Aventus at a work event/party recently. One of things I've noticed that's interesting since becoming so involved with Basenotes and scents is the ability to spot the smell of a scent in a crowd and know what it is. And realizing that commenting on it would be likely perceived as odd.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I ran into someone wearing Aventus at a work event/party recently. One of things I've noticed that's interesting since becoming so involved with Basenotes and scents is the ability to spot the smell of a scent in a crowd and know what it is. And realizing that commenting on it would be likely perceived as odd.
    Why would it be odd to comment on the fragrance if it was a compliment?
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

I once came across a 13-year-old pregnant girl in a tracksuit who was wearing vintage Bois des Iles.
    Top 10:
    1. Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta
    2. YSL M7
    3. Tom Ford Bois Marocain
    4. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    5. Dior Homme/Intense
    6. YSL Opium
    7. Azzaro Pour Homme
    8. Frederic Malle's Musc Ravageur
    9. YSL Live Jazz
    10. Burberry London

Quote Originally Posted by Rosehavn View Post
    Why would it be odd to comment on the fragrance if it was a compliment?
    Some men wouldn't take a compliment as bad. But I find overall most men (and many women) are unsettled if someone knows their scent. My opinion is that most "average" people- including some of us Basenoters - would like to feel our selected scent is something very personal and near exclusive to the wearer.

I noted to a woman in my office she was wearing Angel and she became very disoriented by the comment, even though it was meant as a compliment. I'm sure it would vary from person to person, but my experience with it has been better to keep your mouth shut.

Basenotes Institution

L'heure Bleue in the gorcery store - in the Clorox section . Very long sillage too !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I was dining at a sidewalk restaurant in SoHo NYC during Fashion Week when I distinctly detected Bleu de Chanel on another diner. The part of this I find remarkable: evening in trendy SoHo. . . Fashion Week. . . and Bleu de Chanel? Surely something more snobby would be in order. Guess my Aqua Velva wasn't so out of place after all.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I noted to a woman in my office she was wearing Angel and she became very disoriented by the comment, even though it was meant as a compliment. I'm sure it would vary from person to person, but my experience with it has been better to keep your mouth shut.
    I agree. I've had mixed responses. One girl wearing Rush was particularly flattered while another woman was dumbfounded and felt awkward. Personality and social context could have played a part imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Personality and social context could have played a part imo.
    Totally. But you don't often know that going in.

I spotted Angel on a very attractive female co-worker and when I mentioned it she was quite flattered, and then turned flirty with me. Wow. Wish it always worked like that.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    I spotted Angel on a very attractive female co-worker and when I mentioned it she was quite flattered, and then turned flirty with me. Wow. Wish it always worked like that.
    Yeah, it's unpredictable. In the case you mention, she probably felt flattered someone noticed it.

A few times in my life I have detected my Holy Grail, I just didn't have the opportunity to track it down. My guess is that it is a female marketed scent. I could be wrong since it comes across as very masculine to me.

I almost never smell anything on anyone else, and when I do, it's usually something that could be any of 15 different sporty scents. The only exception is Le Male, which I do smell from time to time and recognize.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Many people, unlike us, are very flustered by scent compliments. Even a basenotes guy like me finds it awkward sometimes (two recent Aventus compliments caught me off guard). I now keep in mind that when wearing Aventus, be prepared. This is true for a lot of Creed scents because they are distinctive.

I know someone in my choir was wearing Polo Blue yesterday, but I kept my mouth shut for fear of freaking them out. I'm metro enough as it is!

Yes, I once visited some friends of my parents and their whole place (a very stylish, elegant yet understated countryside mini-mansion) smelled like Armani Eau PH, but somehow these guys who invited me over were quite Old-School and formal, so I did not dare to ask who actually wears this fragrance within their home

Quote Originally Posted by Sensual View Post
    A few times in my life I have detected my Holy Grail, I just didn't have the opportunity to track it down. My guess is that it is a female marketed scent. I could be wrong since it comes across as very masculine to me.
    I'm kind of with you here. There was/were maybe one or two times where someone was wearing a really amazing scent (years ago), and I didn't ask them what it was. Very much regret that.

A very strange encounter though, was a time that I smelled something awesome on someone, and I asked the guy what it was, and it was Acqua di Gio. Never smelled like that to me. I don't think it's a matter of body chemistry, I just think that maybe I didn't perceive that smell when I wore it.

Another attractive woman I work with (yes, I work in an office that has a good supply of hot women) smelled really good one day, and I finally had to ask what she was wearing. I was amazed when she said D&G Light Blue. It smelled amazing on her. I wonder if she was lying about it - but she's not really the type to lie about something like that. It was seriously great on her, much better than what it smells like on me.

I remember a couple of years ago, at my old high school's marching band competition where my parents are involved in putting it on, I could have SWORN I smelled Cereus #7, it was SO distinctive (and this was RIGHT after I had first smelled Cereus # 7), but even though I understand the theory that a BNer could be anywhere, I highly doubt there's one in my small town, not to mention the Cereus range isn't in a brick and mortar anywhere even remotely close to where I live.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Basenotes Institution

I'm pretty sure the head valet, at my office, wears a whole bunch of Curve by Liz Claiborne. (sigh)

One of the highlights of my fragrance-life was, when I noticed stylish italian gentleman was wearing Villoresi's Uomo - here in Finland.

You will not believe the story i will tell you:

So in the morning when i was about to go to work i sprayed on some Rykiel Homme Grey. After 6 pm i usually go to the gym and my gym frag is IZOD (pretty obscure, right?). I usually spray it on when i leave the gym, but that time i decided to "bathe" myself in it because it doesn't last long and second i had to meet up downtown with my friends later. So upon meeting my friends, they complemented me how amazing i smell (and i thought "it took me to wear IZOD and not some niche frag to get compliments??"). I've been told almost all night how great i smelt which i don't get told very often. So later i hailed a cab around midnight, and right after closing the taxi door, the taxi driver asked me what frag i was wearing because it smelt so heavenly to him!! WTF??? At 12.30 AM receiving compliments from a taxi driver for IZOD. All the way he was asked me about this frag, about its notes, how much it lasted, where could he buy it (online only obviously) and he confessed he was into frags himself. So when we arrived at the destination, (seeing HOW MUCH he liked they way it smelt and how hyped he seemed to be) i opened my backpack and gifted him my IZOD cologne which was 2/3 full and then paid the cab fare. He was speechless and he accepted it, but refused to take the cab fare! Sweet! At least he will enjoy IZOD far more than i will ever do.
    Last edited by B.I.G.; 29th September 2010 at 06:15 PM.

btw, i've been noticing people wearing lately Dior Homme. That smell is so recognizable!

Quote Originally Posted by B.I.G. View Post
    You will not believe the story i will tell you:

So in the morning when i was about to go to work i sprayed on some Rykiel Homme Grey. After 6 pm i usually go to the gym and my gym frag is IZOD (pretty obscure, right?). I usually spray it on when i leave the gym, but that time i decided to "bathe" myself in it because it doesn't last long and second i had to meet up downtown with my friends later. So upon meeting my friends, they complemented me how amazing i smell (and i thought "it took me to wear IZOD and not some niche frag to get compliments??"). I've been told almost all night how great i smelt which i don't get told very often. So later i hailed a cab around midnight, and right after closing the taxi door, the taxi driver asked me what frag i was wearing because it smelt so heavenly to him!! WTF??? At 12.30 AM getting taxi from a taxi driver for IZOD. All the way he was asked me about this frag, about its notes, how much it lasted, where could he buy it (online only obviously) and he confessed he was into frags himself. So when we arrived at the destination, (seeing HOW MUCH he liked they way it smelt and how hyped he seemed to be) i opened my backpack and gifted him my IZOD cologne which was 2/3 full and then paid the cab fare. He was speechless and he accepted it, but refused to take the cab fare! Sweet! At least he will enjoy IZOD far more than i will ever do.
    I love this cool story!! Thanks for sharing it with the group.

Quote Originally Posted by B.I.G. View Post
    btw, i've been noticing people wearing lately Dior Homme. That smell is so recognizable!
    It absolutely is! And this reminds me. Last winter, when I went with some friends of mine to a NY Knicks game at Madison Square Garden, while waiting in the lobby to be admitted to our seats, someone was DOUSED in Dior Homme. It was then, that I finally came to the realization that Dior Homme just sits on the skin, because for an hour it just sat there, same volume and didn't change from what the very first spray smells like.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

My nose has definitely improved, but the girls here wear perfume to the extreme one wore juice couture that was very musky, and another wore tresemme or some shit like that.

here in malaysia you can smell primarily hugo or ck.

there was once i smelled anateus and a vertiver based scent tho.

Going down the Metro train I followed a guy for a good two or three minutes because I couldn't put my finger on what he was wearing (***I have this frag, damn what is this what is this***)...It was Bvlgari Aqva We were going in the same direction but I put a good few feet between us after I figured it out.

There's an 80+-year-old man in the neighborhood that wears... Kouros! It smells great on him. The sillage is far better than the smelling strip.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

A delivery guy is stinking up the workplace with a cloying trail of Armani Code-like-but-much-inferior-so-called-"Black" scent. Argh!

A dental assistant in our clinic brought her mom's (RIP) bottle of Chanel No.5 from the late 1960's or early 1970's. It really lightened an otherwise suckish day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bon Vivant View Post
    ... Kouros! It smells great on him. The sillage is far better than the smelling strip.
    This is true of many scents, but extremely true of Kouros. Some don't smell that good up close, but the sillage is where it's at. I think people sometimes forget this. GIT is this way on me. A couple hours into the drydown, it takes on a pretty rank note up close, but smells fine at a distance.

On topic, a coworker wears loads of Polo Blue. I used to love the stuff, but he's kinda put me off it. And oddly, another coworker--a middle aged, techie kind of guy--has begun wearing Acqua Di Gio whereas I never picked up on a fragrance before. I also picked up on a guy wearing what I took as Aoud Wood, which was odd, as he was military guy in uniform. I'd have asked him, but it probably would have embarrassed us both.

I was at a dirt smelly wet market once and I caught a hint of A*Men. couldn't find the culprit though.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    I was at a dirt smelly wet market once and I caught a hint of A*Men. couldn't find the culprit though.
    that was me lol

and oh one of the personal trainers in my gym use black XS. i could smell him a mile away.

@ a Japanese restaurant in New Mexico. The bathroom soap smelled EXACTLY like Versace Black Jeans, fully loaded with its famous "cooked cabbage" smell.

I was at lunch yesterday with an older, distinguished gentleman. Distinguished, except for the horrible, cheap, raspy men's fragrance he was wearing. After about an hour of talking about everything under the sun, he mentioned that he likes to buy fragrance as an affordable luxury. "Like right now, I'm wearing D&G Light Blue."

Oh my, this struck me as very funny. I tried hard not to laugh.

It's not so much that I wanted laugh at him (he's really a great guy), but check out my post above about the cute girl I know who wears Light Blue. It smells so good on her. It smelled like the worst, cheapest fragrance on him.

Doesn't work on me, either.