Code of Conduct

Default How to distinguish a bottle of 'vinatge' Paco Rabanne

Hello everyone,

Years ago, along with the purchase of a bottle of Insense, I received a mini splash bottle of paco rabanne for men. I gave it to my father and adored the scent. I understand that the fragrance has been reformulated.

Usually, I can stomach a reformulation as the new Obsession for Men and Fahrenheit are still passable, but I am really upset that when I received a recent 30 ml bottle of Paco, that it smelled dreadful in comparison. I am aware that noses change over time, but the Rabanne I remembered was lush and rounded. The new one I sampled was sharp and headache inducing. Is it possible that it was an after-shave I was sampling? Does anyone else notice 'that' drastic change in this classic.

Anyway, all this to say that I would 'love' to land a bottle of the vintage juice, but I am wondering how I could distinguish it from the new one. Are there any different box markings, fonts, bottle specs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am craving this comfort scent!

kim

Default Re: How to distinguish a bottle of 'vinatge' Paco Rabanne

In all sincerity, I would love to know the answer as well. I have a miniature of vintage Paco Rabanne, but that won't last forever. I am think of getting a bottle of Great Jones as it smell identical.

Thanks for the response Neal. Surely in the infinate wisdom of scent Guru's on this site there must be one shard of advice regarding this question???

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Looks disgusting. Probably is spoiled and rancid. I'll stick with a fresh bottle of Bond. No. 9 Great Jones.
    Last edited by neal; 17th September 2010 at 06:21 PM.

Hi there!
    I too am a vintage Paco Junkie. There's no comparison between the original formulation and the current. The current after shave is a little closer to the original and sometimes serves as an acceptable back up. You just have to keep putting it on.
    Once you start seeking out bottles of vintage formulation you start to recognize the differences in the packaging. They are subtle. But one surefire way to be sure is to look for the PR logo to be a silver metallic sticker. It's literally stuck to the bottle. The rest of the typeface is white and the glass is smoky green or sometimes clear. The example above is what I'm talking about. The box will be a sage green with black typeface. The logo was redesigned in the mid 80's and went to black and was then raised from the glass and painted onto the bottle. These bottles have all black typeface and the sage green box. These are good bets too. Usually if you find something in the sage green box it's a pretty good bet it's the original formulation.
    I think the change came in the early 90's (the reformulation). The printing on the bottles was now white and the boxes went to a dark metallic green. Avoid these and anything after. You can often find vintage bottles on Ebay. And the great thing is that PRPH never seems to "go off". I've got some really old bottles and they still smell great. Keep 'em in the fridge. Good luck!
    Last edited by colormechris; 17th September 2010 at 06:03 PM.

That's what the above bottle on eBay appears to be but the juice looks like swamp water unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by colormechris View Post
    ...There's no comparison between the original formulation and the current.

...to be sure is to look for the PR logo to be a silver metallic sticker. It's literally stuck to the bottle. The rest of the typeface is white and the glass is smoky green or sometimes clear.

You can often find vintage bottles on Ebay. And the great thing is that PRPH never seems to "go off". I've got some really old bottles and they still smell great.
    What colormechris said! Good speed!
    To celebrate its glory, I just applied a shot on my arm.

Thanks a lot for your help, guys!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

The first version (splash)

Bottle on the left was the first spray version. bottle on right,m the first of the new versions (note black typeface instead of silver/white)

Newest version.

Like colormechris said, the easiest signifier is the typeface.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Another great second choice if you can't find original Paco is Worth Pour Homme (haute concentree). It's very similar...quite close...but different. Kind of a first cousin. It has the same velvety, soothing effect as Paco. It's also relatively inexpensive.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post

Bottle on the left was the first spray version. bottle on right,m the first of the new versions (note black typeface instead of silver/white)...
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartGallacher View Post
    It is a mini of the first edition of the reformulated version: The bottle on the right of the picture on top.

Again, the typeface is black on glass - signifying new versions.

#BBOG!

Thanks!

Some of the evolution of Paco Rabanne Pour Homme can be found on this blog from The Scented Salamander. Certainly not exhaustive, but informative nonetheless.

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...me_by_pac.html

See, now I would've guessed that the example above would be from the last version of the original formulation based on all the signifiers. Circa the late 80's. But apparently it's the first of the new formulation in what amounts to old packaging. Yes? This example is truly in a gray area, and would have to be sniffed IMO. A wolf in sheeps clothing. Or in this case, a sheep in wolf's clothing!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by colormechris View Post
    See, now I would've guessed that the example above would be from the last version of the original formulation based on all the signifiers. Circa the late 80's. But apparently it's the first of the new formulation in what amounts to old packaging. Yes? This example is truly in a gray area, and would have to be sniffed IMO. A wolf in sheeps clothing. Or in this case, a sheep in wolf's clothing!
    You are right, its the first version of the new formulation. I actually owned a bottle of the one in the picture (30mls). To be honest, i did not notice any difference then. Just doused it on, as usual, and was good to go.

#BBOG!

Here is a bottle I bought back in the eighties, which is a mixture of black and white lettering, and has the raised area under the "r".

I am guessing, but I think the very early bottles had the bottom line of text including the size and alcoholic volume in a much bigger font. The bottles I see from early eighties onwards have this lettering much smaller. There does seem to have been a huge amount of repackaging and rebranding over the years. Whether this also meant reformulation could really only be discerned by testing the bottle. The only definite thing is that the product in its present guise is significantly diminshed in comparison to previous re-issues. I may try and look back at some of the old advertising campaigns and see which bottles appear at given times.
    Last edited by Bartlebooth; 21st September 2010 at 08:04 AM.

That one just above is another curve ball! This seems like the logo and typeface should all be black. But the large information line at the bottom was from earlier incarnations. I would gamble that this contains original formulation, due to the raised from the glass logo.
    Can you imagine archaeologists, thousands of years in the future, trying to figure all this out?

Here is a pretty solid example of a mid 80's original formula bottle, that would've come in the sage green box.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is pretty much how I picture an old bottle of Paco. It just looks tidier than the others. There are clearly more variations of the packaging than we can imagine. I am guessing that most of the contents of the bottles were as good as the original. I don't remember any great change in quality at that time. It is easy to note the changes later on, especially this latest version. The moss in the original is absolutely wonderful, so rich and green. I really had forgotten how outstanding it was. Thankfully, there is sill so much old stuff out there. Thanks to threads like this, I have a clearer idea of what to look for.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Wow!!! Now it gets complicated, because i remember the bottle posted by Orbis Tertius. If i remember properly, some of those came in a set with the aftershave as well. Looks like a "transition" edition, with a bit of the (then) old and the (then) new. this thread has inspired me to try and acquire all the versions. A difficult task in this online-transaction-unfriendly part of the world, but a worthy personal quest ;o)

#BBOG!

Well, the 60ml size would fit in with your theory about it having part of set. The transition edition theory would also explain the hybrid style bottle and typeface.

It would certainly be an interesting exercise to create a timeline of repackaging and reformulation. A rather large task by the look of it!

I was looking on Ebay and saw a lot of bottles of PRPH for sale. Apparently the bottle has been revamped again; now with the "PR" logo taking up the entire bottle face. It's really sharp and handsome looking. I don't mind them changing the bottle every now and then, but screwing with the frag was the big sin. If they'd just go and "unvamp" the juice I think we'd all be happier!

Oh, one more thing...does the "PR" logo remind anyone else of the Rankin-Bass logo? You may recall they produced a lot of those Christmas specials from back in the day, like "Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer". Okay, I'll stop obsessing over this now.

Any thoughts on this bottle:
    Attached Images Attached Images

@stewart gallacher:

Based on the font on the bottle "paco rabanne pour homme", you can see that the letters are more rounded than angular. They did this in the early 90's. Also, the white "pr" logo laying flat on the glass points to a late model bottle of juice. I would say this bottle contains the "reformulated" current version.

Thanks!

I know this thread is old, but it helped me to try and find a vintage bottle of paco rabbane. My dad has a vintage 8oz bottle that he bought in the 80s and I think i found a vintage 16oz bottle. The 2 bottles smell pretty similar and it doesnt seem like paco changes much over the years as long as its stored properly. Let me know what you guys think and I can take more pics if anyone wants to know anything about these bottles.

I noticed a couple differences i noticed between these bottles. The raised r on the bottle is more rounded on the 8oz and flater on the 16oz. The r on the 8oz box is inset but its not on the 16oz. The 16oz has the small sticker on it (in the third pic) but the 8oz doesnt. Everything else is either very similar or identical.

Last edited by mzing; 29th November 2011 at 04:25 AM.

Mzing, I own a 16 oz. bottle of Paco just like the one in your photo.

While it may not be an original vintage version, it is far superior to recent versions and definitly worth getting. Just having the huge bottle is cool in itself! I don't think Paco changed significantly until fairly recently (probably within the last 10 years), when they went to the dark green box.

So you don't think that the 16oz bottle is the same formula as the other bottle? I thought that they only did one change in the formula. Do you know when they made the 16oz bottle?

The first version (splash)

Bottle on the left was the first spray version. bottle on right,m the first of the new versions (note black typeface instead of silver/white)

Newest version.

Like colormechris said, the easiest signifier is the typeface.

There is a fourth with a way bigger logo. See pic below

Anyone noticed differences with the third formulation (with the smaller "PR" logo)?
    My Top 10 : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme
    - Guerlain: Homme L'Eau Boisee
    - Pal Zileri: Cuoio
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Found a 4oz bottle of vintage juice on ebay for about 25 bucks. I have to say, it blows away the current formulation. At least 10x stronger when sprayed, almost unbearable for the first couple of minutes where as to me the current is very tame and a little light. Bond No9 Great Jones does a great job replicating the deepness of the vintage.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Basenotes Institution

How confusing!
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Plus

Yes -

This is "Newer" Vintage formulation prior to the reformulation for sure. Here is an exact duplicate bottle of what you have - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Orig...item256c98aafd

The beveled glass under the "Pr" logo (indented and then raised is the give-away). New formulations have simply white printed logos etched onto the glass - but the glass is flat. I would guess that this is a splash bottle...? I am fairly certain (but not 100% sure), that the "New" Vintage bottle like these in the 80's had a white logo and paco rabanne pour homme lettering, while the spray bottles had a black logo and lettering. Just so you know, I have an 8oz flacon identical to this in excellent shape and 99% full! It smells fantastic.

It is not "True Original" Formulation with the silver "Pr" logo, and the font was thicker and rounder. This gets very intimately detailed, but know that this 80's juice in here is definitely prior to the reformulation that occurred in 2000. Reformulated juice is not nearly the same - night & day. The top notes are similar, but soapier and the base notes are no where near as good.

I have an affinity for Paco Rabanne Pour Homme - personally, I believe it to be the greatest male fragrance ever made. Period.

However, not in its current formulation. Layering Vintage with reformulation is acceptable - but I don't do it with True Original Vintage. That is sacred juice to me...

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Bartlebooth View Post
    Here is a bottle I bought back in the eighties, which is a mixture of black and white lettering, and has the raised area under the "r".

I am guessing, but I think the very early bottles had the bottom line of text including the size and alcoholic volume in a much bigger font. The bottles I see from early eighties onwards have this lettering much smaller. There does seem to have been a huge amount of repackaging and rebranding over the years. Whether this also meant reformulation could really only be discerned by testing the bottle. The only definite thing is that the product in its present guise is significantly diminshed in comparison to previous re-issues. I may try and look back at some of the old advertising campaigns and see which bottles appear at given times.
    Last edited by ericrico; 31st July 2012 at 07:55 AM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Just though i would show off the bottle i found on ebay.

*BASENOTES SPLITS*
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

Basenotes Plus

Hi Heperd -

That is, to my knowledge, definitely Original Vintage Paco Rabanne Pour Homme (with the silver 'Pr' label).

I hope it came fresh as a good amount is gone (but Paco preserves extremely well!) Did you decant some into an atomizer?

All the best and enjoy the "sacred juice"!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Just though i would show off the bottle i found on ebay.

Last edited by ericrico; 31st July 2012 at 07:56 AM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

Ive had it a couple of months and I have put more than an ounce into an atomizer. It seems fresh or else it just got better with age.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

Basenotes Plus

Great to hear -

Of course it smells better with age, because our olfactory senses continue to grow with knowledge and wisdom. ;-)

It's not the juice that changes (if stored properly, of course) but our appreciation of it. Plus, you have smelled more things that are NOT Original Vintage Paco Rabanne - so you have eliminated more fragrances from the known universe that pale in comparison.

I had a feeling about the decant/atomizer, because you said "sprayed" and I would have to believe that to be a splash bottle - ;-) !

Enjoy!

Eric
    ericrico

Ive had it a couple of months and I have put more than an ounce into an atomizer. It seems fresh or else it just got better with age.

One further observation on this: I think vintage spray bottles are labeled 'atomiseur' / 'atomizer' while more recent ones are labeled 'vaporisateur' / 'natural spray'. Can anyone verify this?

Basenotes Plus

heperd -

I concur whole-heartedly with your statement of Vintage juice being superior, but not 10x stronger. The richness of the base notes and (if your vintage bottle is in true form), the entire composition should be correct and true-to-form. The reformulation has top notes that are good and some heart notes that carry, but the base notes are what disappeared. Not just oakmoss, although IFRA took that away...but the formulation itself. Personally, I like to layer some current formulation (including after shave) with Vintage Paco Rabanne PH EDT. The effect is wonderful. I have all the formulations of Paco Rabanne in various sizes except for the latest with the huge "Pr" logo. But, I don't feel I am missing anything, so no worries.

Bond No 9 Great Jones - I've heard mixed points on this. Read the pyramid of notes and then Vintage Paco Rabanne's pyramid (find the correct one - for example, it's honeyed tobacco, not "honey" that is the note as well as Cistus and Lentisk).

Here is Paco Rabanne Pour Homme's true scent pyramid:

Aromatic top notes of Bergamot, Lavender, Thyme and Rosemary

A heart of spicy Tarragon, Geranium, Pine and Clove

A dry down of Tonka Bean (Coumarin), Amber and Musk is made exceptional with added notes of Lentisk, Cistus, Oakmoss and Honeyed tobacco.

Some people place Pine as the "Wood" in the base - personally, I find a "pine note" of Fir and Cedar that is blended wonderfully mostly coming from the heart.

Cheers,

ericrico

Found a 4oz bottle of vintage juice on ebay for about 25 bucks. I have to say, it blows away the current formulation. At least 10x stronger when sprayed, almost unbearable for the first couple of minutes where as to me the current is very tame and a little light. Bond No9 Great Jones does a great job replicating the deepness of the vintage.
    Last edited by ericrico; 11th January 2013 at 05:23 PM.

^^^ I tend to exaggerate...
    You should give Great Jones a try. I would like to see how you think it compares. To me it is a very good reproduction, but my nose isnt so great. I want to know, how can Bond No9 make a frag that smells like the vintage PR but PR cant make the same thing?
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

Basenotes Plus

heperd -

Not to sound crass, but Great Jones is not of interest to me. I have smelled a sample (a decant) and it is not close to my nose. The scent pyramid is not close. Orange is the top note - it is sweet, along with a bit of sharp bergamot (granted, there is some bergamot in Vintage Paco, but a blended note - not too sharp...the way it should be in a classic Aromatic Fougere). The heart has cedarwood and cardamom (no florals or herbs), and the base is vetiver, oakmoss and musk. I have discussed this with people before. IFRA banned Oakmoss (first reducing it to a very small/miniscule amount up to 2006) - Bond No 9 Great Jones was released in 2003, so the earlier bottles probably have "some" oakmoss in them...the allotted amount, which is very small. After 2006, they could be using other treemoss that is not banned by IFRA. A lot of perfumiers are, as well as synthesizing molecules to add an artificial oakmoss note. Vetiver doesn't exist in Paco Rabanne. Vetiver is dear to me - so this is almost a slap in the face. Last - musk...okay, one base note that you could say is in both and Paco Rabanne is not a musk-heavy scent, but there is musk in the base note composition. The blend of (assuming it is not ALL synthesized) treemoss and fake oakmoss with the cedar and musk gives an illusion of something trying to be something else - plus it is the "power of suggestion". People say it smells like Paco Rabanne (Vintage), so you go into it smelling a perceived notion of scent.

Not close. No offense. It may be a decent scent to you, but to me, overpriced. A vintage bottle of Paco Rabanne that is well kept can last 35+ years. I have perfect bottles from the 70's of original vintage - top notes fully intact and the green notes (herbs, pine, real Oakmoss) with florals and wonderful base notes that are the essence of greatness in this masterpiece.

Will a bottle of Bond No 9 Great Jones still smell okay in 2040? Who knows - get it and enjoy it. To each, their own. Olfactory taste is subjective. You may like it better.

I hope you enjoy. You know, it's funny. I wore a beautiful suit to my oldest son's First Communion this last weekend. I could've worn any tie from my collection. I wanted something special - that will be with me and him in life later. I wore a Vintage (1960's) hand-made pale yellow Paco Rabanne gorgeous silk tie. You could tell it was Vintage - a skinnier, 3" tie that knotted smaller. My son asked to wear something special - it had to be all black. I lend him my Gucci and tied him as good a knot as one can get. Everyone complimented him and me. I may not be "old", but classic doesn't date you. It is a statement of taste. My scent of the day was Vintage Eau Sauvage (Cologne) on a warm, sunny Spring day. I could've worn Vintage Paco Rabanne Pour Homme to complete this tale, but my Vintage Eau Sauvage was what felt right and was brilliant. I looked and smelled classy and classic.

That is what this is all about to me. Bond No 9 Great Jones would never give me that feeling.

Cheers,

ericrico

^^^ I tend to exaggerate...
    You should give Great Jones a try. I would like to see how you think it compares. To me it is a very good reproduction, but my nose isnt so great. I want to know, how can Bond No9 make a frag that smells like the vintage PR but PR cant make the same thing?

Basenotes Plus

It could be the first version of the reformulation, I believe as well - but there is uncertainty. I own a small bottle as well and got it for cheap. I have tried it side-by-side with Newer Vintage (raised white 'Pr' logo) and the reformulation bottle that came later...green box, white typeface (a very different scent). It actually, to my nose (and this could also be attributed to bottle age), smells excellent and very close to new vintage. Top notes are actually brighter than some Newer Vintage large splash bottles I have (although I think we all know atomizers change how a fragrance opens versus dab-on). It is actually an excellent wear and far better than the white typeface bottle that came later. I am NOT suggesting that this is yet another formulation of Paco Rabanne...but, there is a possibility that this is Newer Vintage. I am going on nose. But, also, did Paco Rabanne make a 30ml beveled glass bottle? Or, was it flat? I have seen this advertised as "Vintage" by sellers - but that doesn't mean anything.

I am wondering...did Paco Rabanne put 30ml bottles of new vintage bottles out there like these? Does anyone have a beveled glass 30ml bottle? If not, then I am more convinced that my nose is correct.

The biggest change came with the white typeface and green box. Up to that, the white-lined sage box shown is indicative of older formulation.

I put forth and ask - can someone please provide a 30ml bottling different from this (from the Newer Vintage era - not the silver sticker "Pr" logo) that indicates that this juice is indeed reformulated?

Much appreciation - and a thought to ponder. I have every formulation of Paco except the latest (why bother?), but not EVERY bottle size. So, please fellow Basenoters...offer some assistance.

Thank you.

ericrico

You are right, its the first version of the new formulation. I actually owned a bottle of the one in the picture (30mls). To be honest, i did not notice any difference then. Just doused it on, as usual, and was good to go.