Code of Conduct

Default Most underrated scent? Signature Scent? Guilty Pleasure Scent?

What do you think is the most underrated scent?
    What is your favorite/signature scent..?
    And your Guilty Pleasure scent?..

Default Re: Most underrated scent? Signature Scent? Guilty Pleasure Scent?

Ah, I've answered these questions so many times before but I still love these kind of threads for some reason!

Most?! underrated. Hmm. A toss up between Davidoff Adventure and H&G Skarb. H&G as a house is really underrated and I'm not sure why.. I would think that a new niche house that really does push the boundaries with some odd/crazy scents would be just the kind of thing that would whet the appetite of the BN veterans. An enigma!

Closest thing to a signature scent for me: Amouage Reflection Man. Other scents that people may recognize me by: Lyric Man and Bois de Turquie.

Guilty pleasure scent: Givenchy Play. I think this one is underrated, too. I'd think a lot of people here would like it if they could look at it without prejudice, especially as it has a really nice and fairly prominent golden vetiver note in the base.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Underrated scent: A few, Vermeil pour Homme, Desir by Rochas, Presence by Mont Blanc

Signature Scent: Again, a few: Hammam Bouquet, Cartier Santos Concentree, Guerlain Heritage, Salvador Dali pour Homme, 3rd Man de Caron, Michael Kors and er, quite a few others, so maybe signature is not quite the word, lol

Guilty pleasure scent(s): Burberry Brit, Bogart pour Homme and on current ongoing conflict between BN members, Bang! by Marc Jacobs
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Most underrated: in my opinion, good quality low cost classics like Grey Flannel, Halston Z14 or Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood (to name only a few), I am still puzzled how frags whose quality is way above their actual price can be so exquisite, moreover, how such a nearly ideal price-quality ratio can still exist today, without getting all the good reputation it deserves

- honorable mention in this category: also a few 80's powerhouse frags, unlike the first one mentioned, not necessarily the cheapest, but still so stunning and complex, I wonder that they are not far more popular today, including Versace l'Homme, Trussardi Uomo or Francesco Smalto PH

Signature scent: nothing would fit my requirements in this category as good, as Armani PH

Guilty pleasure scent(s): some of the "textbook exmaples" for niches fragrance- yet I am still disappointed that I did not get to wear or at least test some Amouage, Clive Christian yet, but even so- yet other iconic niche frags like Creed BDP, almost anything by Acqua di Parma, almost anything by Hugh Parsons, Knize Ten, Blenheim Bouquet, Endymion and Opus 1870 by Penhaligons and a few other scents along these lines are the ultimate "guilty pleasure" scents to me. Why? Because they make me feel a tad more luxurious, formal, pampered, self-indulgent, extravagant, big-spending, overly elaborate, spoiled, than it's usual, normal... (but than again, in the lofty, elusive world of niche perfumery, what is usual, normal anyway?)

Underrated scent(s) : Nina Ricci Ricci Club, Paco Rabanne Ultraviolet, and Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Cuba. I should add Il Profumo G-11 as well.

Signature Scent : I don't really think I have one, but this past summer I suppose I wore Mugler Cologne and Gris Clair more often than usual. If I were to have a signature scent, it could be Gris Clair. because it can be a day time scent. Plus, it suits me.

Guilty Pleasure(s) : Perry Ellis 360 Black and Escada Magnetism for Men.

I have no idea what is going on with Escada, whether or not they will be making scents anymore. They have made some gaudy smelling fruit bombs. But Homme and Magnetism are good in my book.

Perry Ellis is not exactly a well regarded brand. Here or anywhere.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Underrated: Too many to mention, but I'll throw into the ring both of the L'Eau D'Issey Pour Homme flankers, Intense and L'Eau Bleu. Tested Intense this past week and was rather gobsmacked by how much I liked it. The drydown goes a bit generic, but the top and heart notes are pleasantly spicy and earthy. No offputting chemical qualities or snore-inducing "freshness". L'Eau Bleu is simply odd and marvelous, very menthol/herbal/anise before softening into a more traditional fresh/woody drydown. Both are worth seeking out (or rediscovering) if you're at all interested in '90s-style aquatics with a twist.

Signature scent: Loathsome question. It haunts me. I can never choose just one; I feel the onset of Sophie's Choice levels of panic at the very thought of picking only one bottle to call my perfume BFF. Lately I'm wearing Dior Fahrenheit more than anything, and it's the only scent in my collection that I have a backup bottle of (and would gladly seek out another), so I suppose that's the strongest candidate. But please don't make me carve that in stone. Opium and Kouros would never forgive me.

Guilty Pleasure: I refuse to feel guilty about enjoying fragrances, life is too damn short and we all have bigger fish to fry. But I suppose I've been made to feel slightly less enlightened in matters of taste for thoroughly enjoying Angel and CK Obsession. (And lately, Euphoria. It's spicy! I love spice! Shut up!)

Most underrated: Miracle Homme & Givenchy Play Intense

Signature scent: I can't commit to just one

Guilty Pleasure:...Miami Glow (don't tell anyone)

Underrated:

Black Sun is "my" preferred version of Armani Code, with much better sillage and longevity, and a little more disheveled around the edges.

Closest thing I've found to a signature scent:

Guilty pleasure:

most underrated scent: Bleu de Chanel. Yeah..i went there.

Signature scent: i guess you can say Le Male par Jean Paul Gaultier is the closest thing i have to a signature scent.

Guilty Pleasure: hmmmm. i guess Bleu de Chanel can fit this category as well?

I will answer one of these questions.....I feel that one of the most underrated scents is Bond No.9 Signature Perfume.....A Masterpiece in my opinion!!!
    Gary

underrated: L'occitane vetiver, even though some give it props i think it is an awesome vetiver and a great value considering it is under 50 bucks.

signature scent: Right now I would say original vetiver by creed, i have been using decants, plan on getting a bottle soon.

Guilty pleasure: Body kouros or angel men, very fun to use.

Blog Entries

Most under rated would imo be...1 Million, and i mean under rated by this forum (its supposedly really popular?). I find it to be simply a fun, obnoxious, flirty, flamboyant, sweet fragrance. Which in that respect, its perfect!

Signature? A*Men of course! I would wear it and only it if i had to. Hanae Mori, although a new purchase, is a fragrance i've really fallen for. The Bulgarian Rose is literally the most beautiful thing i've smelled in my life. And the way it mingles with the lemon and hints of vanilla...this thing has signature potential. Pure Malt could also go here but i find it alot less versatile than A*Men (yeah, go figure?) and HM, especially HM which i think could be worn any day of the year

Guilty Pleasure? Acqua Di Gio. I don't own a bottle simply because it costs too much and i wouldnt wear it enough to justify that, but I really love the smell of this fragrance every now and then

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonny19 View Post
    most underrated scent: Bleu de Chanel. Yeah..i went there.

Signature scent: i guess you can say Le Male par Jean Paul Gaultier is the closest thing i have to a signature scent.

Guilty Pleasure: hmmmm. i guess Bleu de Chanel can fit this category as well?
    Thanks for having the guts to say it. And I'll go further. Right now, I'm 3 for 3 on Bleu. At the moment, I think it's my most underrated, definitely my current signature, and (around here) guilty pleasure scent.

PS Neurosis - I just smelled 1 Million today for the first time, and I have to admit, it may have been the most impressive new release I sniffed this weekend. The bottle is bloody tacky as hell, and I would be ashamed to buy it, but it is one of the most intriguing scents I've smelled in a while. Much respect for Paco Rabanne.

It is difficult to select just one fragrance for each of the three categories, so I'll try my best shot by naming a winner of the category and a runner-up as well.
    Most underrated: My favorite fragrance of them all, and by far, is Ungaro III, however I seldom see it mentioned in any discussion in basenotes, so my impresion is that nobody cares for it. And the runner-up is Tuscan Soul of Salvatore Farragamo, not only I love it, but it is the one that generates most compliments.
    My signature fragance for many years was Tabacco Flower by The Body Shop until it was discontinued (I am in my last bottle) so I use it very sporadically now and it has been replaced by Silver Mountain Water by Creed. My runner up is Halston 1-12
    My guilty pleasures are Savile Row by Richard James and Sashka Men by M. Micallef (should I mention Signature pour Homme by ST Dupont too?, no I better not since I said I will mention only 2 of each).

Underrated: Animale for Men, Jazz

Signature Scent: Kouros

Guilty Pleasure: Burberry Touch

Underrated: statistically/objectively it would probably be something no one here has heard of. Underrated as in "unappreciated by many", my input goes to Happy for Men, by Clinique.

Signature: Other than my exists-but-not-found-yet Holy Grail, Millesime Imperial (Creed).

Guilty Pleasure: Aqua di Gio/Bois d' Encens (both Armani) One for the shame of it being so popular, the other since it's ridiculously overpriced and its abuse of a note some may think should be restricted to certain religious practices.

Underrated: Jazz and Live Jazz

Guilty pleasure: Swiss Army (I know, I know!)

Signature? Well, I rotate often, and seldome ever wear the same fragrance twice in one week. But if I had to choose, I would probably go with my Gucci Pour Homme 2. I am really excited once again about Cartier's Declaration Cologne. This stuff is awesome! I've never smelled such a strong ginger note in a fragrance. I mean, it is STRONG, ginger and orange. It is BEAUTIFUL!!! I said I wasn't going to buy any more cologne for another few months, but d@mn I want this fragrance! This, Havana Vanille and M. Micallef's Note Vanille and I swear I will stop buying for atleast a year! lol

Ooh, I forgot, most underrated scent. Once again, Declaration Cologne. It gets no discussion on here, and it is great! I think Amouage Reflection is very underrated as well. Guilty Pleasure? Probably Joop. I wear it around the house every now and then. Angel too.
    Last edited by Larwiz; 27th September 2010 at 03:45 AM. Reason: must add

Underrated - I've got 3 candidates for this, and they are all flankers:

Declaration Cologne. I'm glad to see Larwiz give this some love. I know JaimeB has this and likes it too. Very little mention on BN, I have a theory of why. It's not really like Declaration or Declaration Essence at all, just has Orange (well Bergamot) and Cardamon in common. None of the Cumin and Birch of the other 2. It's closer to Dior Homme Sport and Burberry Sport, but way better than either. I believe people who liked the original don't like Cologne because it's 'boring', and people that didn't like the original steer clear worried it will be 'stinky'. This along with Guerlain Homme L'Eau have made 2010 a good year for Citrus fans that did not want another 'old school' frag.

L'Eau Bleue D'Issey Eau Fraiche - only ever gets mention on BN by me! Great Mint and Patch combo, so mentholated it actually cools the skin.

Play Intense - maybe the poor reception of Play has condemned this one too. Yes it's very sweet. Yes it's very derivative (somewhere between A*Men and Code), and some think getting on bandwagons should be below Givenchy. Who cares? A opening that reminds me of Rhubarb and Custard boiled sweets (a British thing, think sweet and sour hard candy), going to a Tonka, Coffee and Patch accord. Just delicious.

Signature - Body Kouros. Hopefully will be Ambre Narguile if Santa is nice to me...

Guilty Pleasure - Axe/Lynx Dark Temptation

One thing joining BN helped me find out was that my sweet tooth carries over to fragrance too!

iqi8h8j74qfeelocowmanqqro

Underrated: Sonia Rykiel MAN, L'Eau Bleue D'Issey Eau Fraiche, Sander for Man, VV by Roberto Verino
    Signature: Live Jazz, Bulgari Pour Homme Extreme
    Guilty Pleasure: Axe/Lynx Dark Temptation - hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Start20 View Post
    Guilty Pleasure:...Miami Glow (don't tell anyone)
    As for Jennifer Lopez's Miami Glow?

Most and highly underrated: Seduction In Black, La Nuit de L'Homme, Brasil Dream for Men, Swiss Army Victorinox Unlimited, Sexual Secret and Michael Jordan Legend

Signature Scent: Vera Wang, The One Gentleman and Pure Coffee

Guilty Pleasures: HM Hanae Mori, Mandalay, Gap G7 Mixed and Passion by Elizabeth Taylor

Most Overrated: Gucci Pour Homme II, Paris Hilton for Men, Heiress, Can Can, ALL Ed Hardy Fragrances, Declaration
    Last edited by ArkangeL; 27th September 2010 at 12:41 PM.

Underrated: LesNez L'Antimatiere And Le Labo Vetiver 46

Signature: Dior Homme Cologne

Guilty Pleasure: Can't think of anything right now.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

L'INSTANT de GUERLAIN POUR HOMME. If you don't try it, I think you're dumb.

HABIT ROUGE BEAU CAVALIER Whoa. Thanks to Asha for this one.

TOM FORD TUSCAN LEATHER or TOBACCO VANILLE Strong and linear.Nothing subtle here.

Underrated: Declaration Bois Bleu by Cartier
    Signature: Giorgio For Men (by signature I mean that is the frag most people would associate w/ me)
    Guilty Pleasure: CSP's Vanille-Abricot

UNderrated: HUGO
    Signature: Bulgari Man
    Guilty pleasure: Armani Code

Banned
    Blog Entries

Underrated:

Signature:

Guilty Pleasure:

Most underrated scent? Gucci Envy, Kenzo PH
    Favorite/signature scent? Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Guilty Pleasure scent? Debating picking up a small body of FCUK Him for old time's sake, Versace Dreamer, Mazzolari Lui

Most Underrated: Bond 9 Signature Perfume
    Signature: Bond 9 Signature, cause nobody wears it.
    Guilty Pleasure: Bond 9 Signature, because it is underrated.

YSL - Live Jazz

Balenciaga pour homme / Kouros

And your Guilty Pleasure scent?

I'm not sure I have one - Geoffrey Beene - Grey Flannel because it's so cheap?

Underrated: Ed Hardy's Love and Luck for men...It's great! I got a 3.4 oz for less than 40 bucks on Amazon.

Signature: L'eau d'issey Pour Homme/Light Blue for Women

Guilty Pleasure: Aqcua Di Gio! I always think about buying this one, but for the price...no. I'm not even worried about the guys who abuse it. if anyone asks what I'm wearing I could always say it's the girls version lol!

I like unisex fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by YRAMEN View Post
    Gengis Khan

Underrated: Boss in motion black, Cerruti pour homme, Azzaro Silver Black, Burberry Beat, Shiseido Zen for men

Signature scent: Azzaro PH

Guilty pleasure: Hugo Boss Dark Blue - it's a chemical, synthetic concotion that sometimes annoys even me, but there are times this one develops so nice on my skin and I always give it another wear, and another wear, and another...

I think the most underrated scent in my wardrobe is Dune.

If I had to pick a sig. scent it would be Guerlain Homme L'Eau or Terre D'Hermes.

My guilty pleasure scents are Black XS and Aramis New West.

Underrated: Baldessarini Concentree
    Signature Scent: Montale Black Oudh
    Guilty Pleasure: Le Labo Vanille 44

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    Underrated: ..., Azzaro Silver Black,
    +1!

Underrated - Frank 2
    Signature - Silver Factory
    Guilty Pleasure - Dior Homme
    LOOKING FOR DECANTS OF ANY O. Durbano, ANY Hilde Soliana, BOISE VANILLE, COLOGNE POUR LE SOIR, MUSC RAVEGEUR, AND ROSE 31 TO SWAP:.:wink

Underrated - Frank 2
    Signature - Silver Factory
    Guilty Pleasure - Dior Homme
    LOOKING FOR DECANTS OF ANY O. Durbano, ANY Hilde Soliana, BOISE VANILLE, COLOGNE POUR LE SOIR, MUSC RAVEGEUR, AND ROSE 31 TO SWAP:.:wink

Quote Originally Posted by Aquil View Post
    Underrated - Frank 2
    Agree with this. It is fantastic.

Most underrated ..I would say Ck Be...people right this one off due to its age and association with Ck One..I adore this soapy..musky clean masterpiece

Signature scent...ck one
    Guilty pleasure..tommy girl...smells so bright and fresh. Love tea like qualities in fragrances

Underrated - Bulgari PH Soir
    Signature - Havana
    Guilty Pleasure - Giorgio Beverly Hills VIP
    WANTED (full or partial bottles)
    Divine eau Divine (refillable)

Guilty pleasure: Tobacco Vanille and Dior Homme
    Signature scent: I don't have one, expect for maybe Rose 31 (somewhat)
    Underrated: Ambre 114 or Narcisco Rodriguez Musc for him EDP.

Guilty pleasure: CK Be. A love/hate relationship
    Signature scent: Probably Eau Sauvage, but I've come back around to Halston Z-14 more and more these days
    So Underrated Its Overrated and Vice Versa: Nautica Voyage

Underrated - Guerlain Homme
    Signature - Body Kouros/Rive Gauche
    Guilty Pleasure - Pi Neo

Basenotes Member Carvalho Diablo's Avatar
    Pompadour Cosmetique Company, Baker Street

Gap Grass.

Love the stuff.
    ***My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world : those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.***