Code of Conduct

Default What would Mad Men`s Don Draper wear?

I know these fragrances wasn`t made in the 60-ies, but I can easily see Mad Men`s Don Draper wearng Amouage Epic and Hermès Bel Ami.

Sur la Plage

Default Re: What would Mad Men`s Don Draper wear?

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I think every time a new season of Mad Men starts someone needs to bump the original "What Would Don Draper Wear?" thread on to the front page. It will save on the multiple threads.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Oops.. Sorry..

Geo F Trumper GFT Cologne.

aramis and old spice. modern polo double black? brooks brothers? john varvatos even?

It's one of my favorite shows and I started the original thread. I find it interesting that the answers are based on scents that "feel" like something he would wear regardless of when issued, versus scents that were actually available when the show takes place (this season is 1964.) The selection of men's scents that would have been available in his world was pretty limited then.

I go literal and because a woman in the show said he smelled like jasmine, I say Old Spice or maybe Dunhill 1934. While he's certainly always very well dressed by our standards today, he's really just conforming to the norms of business dress of the time. I don't think he is stylish to the point of putting a lot of thought into chasing down frags, unless one of the women in his life foist something on him. i.e. He wouldn't be a Basenoter.

Having asserted all that, whenever I smell Brooks Brothers 1818 or Bois du Portugal, I feel like I'm in the lobby of Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce waiting for Joan.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 1st August 2010 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by derekzee View Post
    aramis and old spice. modern polo double black? brooks brothers? john varvatos even?

I agree with derekzee:
    Old Spice, he probably didn't know any better, since the show is based on a 1964 American setting -or close to 64-, i would say that yes he would change after a few years to Aramis...(maybe would still wear it today if the character is still alive)

If we're allowed to timeshift, he's the perfect BdP recipient.

What would his alter ego, Dick Whitman wear?

In the first season -episode 8, the ladies in the office are discussing Salvatore Romano, (the Italian guy); "He wears cologne. But not that cheap stuff. Something European maby.."

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    In the first season -episode 8, the ladies in the office are discussing Salvatore Romano, (the Italian guy); "He wears cologne. But not that cheap stuff. Something European maby.."
    Yeah, well Sal is much more artistic than Don, focused more on style and appearance. There's a lot more thought put into how he dresses. He would be a Basenoter.

Don's type is much more focused on business though he is a creative guy.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Yeah, well Sal is much more artistic than Don, focused more on style and appearance. There's a lot more thought put into how he dresses. He would be a Basenoter.

Don's type is much more focused on business though he is a creative guy.
    Absolutely agreed. It`s a true pleasure to look at all the details in this excellent tv-drama. I can`t help but thinking of Gucci pour Homme, Amouage Epic, Rocas Lui, and Hermes Equipage/Bel Ami when I look at these whisky drinkable, well-dressed men.

Amazing, Oslo- I was also thinking the original Gucci Pour Homme or Equipage. Possibly Pierre Cardin.

He would wear Cravache. Oh yes he would. There, it has been said.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

"Dick Whitman" would have worn Aqua Velva or Mennen After-Shave, if anything at all. I love thinking what characters would wear. What would also be interesting would be to find out what famous people in history wore like Mark Twain, Lincoln, etc. I get a whole different perception of something in time if I were to find out they wore fragrance. Or go to the dark side...what did Hitler wear? That would ruin any fragrance for sure. Somehow I can totally imagine George Washington smelling all "powdery." But others in history are much more difficult to imagine.

Cassandra

www.perfume.com describes Boucheron Pour Homme as a scent for Don Draper. "Don Draper of Mad Men would carry this one effortlessy..."

Who gives a sh*t.

The more his professional success and social status increase, the more I would see him likely to wear Chanel pour Monsieur EDT- for several reasons, I do perceive this frag as very gentlemanly, conservative-corporate, powerful without being overpowering, tacky or obnoxious