Code of Conduct

Default Looking for a signature scent for winter. (College aged male)

Hi as a Canadian, winter is obviously a large part of the year and as a relatively new entry into the world of fragrances I find my self lacking a scent for the colder part of the year.

I'm looking at Antaeus by Chanel, but felt it may be A) too strong for a daily wear daytime fragrance, perhaps more suited to the bars and clubs and B) inappropriate for someone of my age, more apropos to someone in their 30's.

Would this be an accurate assumption, or am I over thinking things? I am absolutely open to any other suggestion you may have and would appreciate any input.

Brandon_ha

Default Re: Looking for a signature scent for winter. (College aged male)

I think you have to really like something as powerful as Antaeus in order to wear it well. If you're on the fence at all, it's time to look at other fragrances for comparative purposes. You don't have to rule out Antaeus, but see if something else might work for you.

Burberry London for Men. Profoundly compatible with winter. Not too overpowering. Try it, it's a good one.

Last edited by adonis; 27th September 2010 at 10:39 AM.

Hey, fellow Canadian here. I've been getting into perfume over the last couple years with a particular interest in classic men's fragrances. You're right, you might be overthinking things. I tend to do the same, but have a few years experience to know when to listen to my head and when not to. College age means adult, which means you can wear any mens' fragrance you care to, if you like it. You may have "older man" associations with some fragrances, and you probably want to smell nice and be complimented, but not to stand out or smell too distinctively or uniquely strong or unusual, and you're surrounded by people most of the time. That's college for you. I began to discover some great fragrances around your age, some of which were my signature fragrances for periods at the time. This would be my list. They are all distinctive enough to be signatures, and all fall within a pretty traditional range. But they all have character, unlike a lot of fragrances out there, in my humble opinion.

Chanel Pour Monsieur
    Dior Eau Sauvage
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Azzaro pour Homme
    Aramis Tuscany Per Uomo
    Cerutti 1881 (not specifically cold-weather, appropriate year-round)

There's two fragrances that I would recommend with caution, Terre D'Hermes and Halston Z-14, which happen to be two of my all-time favorites. Not too many people dislike Terre, and not too many people like Z-14. I happen to love both. Terre D'Hermes is great, it just might not be your cup of tea. It comes on with a big burst of bitter citrus that's hard to ignore, but is so well designed that it's full development is a total pleasure. It's a bit less traditional than those above, but I couldn't recommend it more. Z-14 has been described as a kind of muscle car fragrance, and might be too much for daily wear. For a night on the town, though, that's a different story. And it's cheap. I saw boxed sets at Winners for twenty bucks recently. Terre is a bit more expensive, the parfum concentration is even better but worth every penny. That's my two cents worth.
    Last edited by professor goggles; 1st October 2010 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Adding additional information regarding seasonal fragrances

Brandon,

If you like Antaeus, then go for it. I don't really feel it is the best choice for a signature scent, but that is me.

I would say Burberry London or something along those lines would be nice. Hard to say, though. Terre d'Hermes and Dior Homme are also good choices. I just feel having a signature scent if hard to find. Gotta mix it up a bit. That way, each scent can utilize their strengths and not be over analyzed to magnify any "flaws". Eventually, a scent can get "played out" or tiresome.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Cool Re: Looking for a signature scent for winter. (College aged male)

Quote Originally Posted by brandon_ha View Post
    Hi as a Canadian, winter is obviously a large part of the year and as a relatively new entry into the world of fragrances I find my self lacking a scent for the colder part of the year.

I'm looking at Antaeus by Chanel, but felt it may be A) too strong for a daily wear daytime fragrance, perhaps more suited to the bars and clubs and B) inappropriate for someone of my age, more apropos to someone in their 30's.

Would this be an accurate assumption, or am I over thinking things? I am absolutely open to any other suggestion you may have and would appreciate any input.

Brandon_ha
    You're over thinking it--but not by much.
    As to ' A' it's a bit like asking "Should I wear black in the daytime? " I'm sure some French fashion magazine has said that's not done--both for women and men. Now, if your crowd reads French fashion magazines there may be a bit of a problem

If the temperature is cold, you can wear Antaeus in the day time. The secret is to go very light in spraying it on.
    How light?

The aldehydes initially make it so strong that one spritz is too much. Wait for it to settle down and you'll be OK As to your age, provided you're past adolescent geekdom, you're fine.

Having said all that, yes Antaeus is best as a nighttime ladies man's scent. For that matter, so is Egoiste.

Don't play volleyball or hockey while wearing either. But otherwise you will stand out from the crowd---in a very good way.

Winter is usually the time for the " Oriental Category " in scents. Which means if you find Antaeus too much for everyday wear you can always go with Bulgari Black

Some others, which I'd consider 5 star scents:

Royal English Leather by Creed
    Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti (underestimated, imho and some will say it's just for teenagers)
    Baie de Genièvre also by Creed
    Cacharel Pour L'Homme by Cacharel

Besides Orientals, you can also get away with 'anti-frags' in winter. Scents that are a right cross to the jaw but while they are often considered over the top by some in summer, in winter they are warm; two already mentioned are Azzaro PH and Tuscany/Etruscan. Another is the poor man's Vintage Tabarome: Grey Flannel
    And then there's the pine-needle " daytime Antaeus " (in terms of sophistication) ; Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet

Look up the reviews and if something sounds appealing, give it a sample.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

I just wana say I love to wear Clinique Happy for Men in winter...its a warm citrus cent and it reminds me of winter when I smell it. Also its perfect for young people....im in highschool and I love it.

Get a sample of himalaya and tried it on a cold day. It freaken smells amazing. It's strictly for cold weather IMO

Something that is very affordable and may do very well in the winter could be Burburry London, Dior Homme, Lolita Lempica Au Masculine, Body Kouros, Le Male Thiery Muglers B-man, Pure Malt and lets not forget A-man. These are a few that you may want to try.
    Love someone today and it will come back to you ten folds

M7, Kouros, Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Grey Flannel, Habit Rouge

Paco Rabanne XS would be a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing the Dragon View Post
    Paco Rabanne XS would be a good choice.
    Paco Rabannae BLACK XS

M7 by YSL

Rive Gauche

At first I thought finding a signature would be easy but not at all. When you least expect you will be trying and buying quite a few.
    If you stick with Antaeus, keep a light hand and maybe spray it under your shirt. The stuff is potent and while it's one of the most rounded out among the powerhouses, in a world of light scents it's quite a love or hate affair for most.

La Nuit De L'Homme? I just picked this up as my signature scent for the winter and I absolutely love it (I am in college as well)

Sig scent for winter nights out might allow for antaeus. BUt daily all day, nah...i think your nose might fall apart (not saying its not a good scent).
    You're around 30 and wanting to be always approachable and fresh, even in winter. Id say go for any of these:
    Tom Ford for men
    YSL L'Homme
    D&G The One
    Gucci Pour Homme I
    Hermes Orange Vert
    Brooks Brothers Classic Scent
    John Varvatos classic
    Sent from my house.

I would highly recommend Amouage Silver (wonderfully blended citrus, white flowers, and dry incense) or Frapin´s Terre de Sarment, (sensual woody frfagrance that begins with neroli and mellows into nutmeg, cinnamon & myrhh...beautiful!)